***Rangers v Heart of Midlothian*** Match Thread

Scott Leitch

RustyRightPeg

They are as fragile as we are defensively at the moment, I’d be going for the jugular tonight. It’s a free hit essentially. 

Do not lie down. We are a good team as shown on Sunday playing 60 mins with 10 men and still creating numerous chances. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• tian447

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

When you say heads went down, I assume you mean the supporters? What was noticeable was that the players’ heads didn’t. When we’ve had red cards earlier in the season (Grant, Devlin, Neilson) the fight has visibly gone out of the whole team, but this time it didn’t. I imagine that was partly due to the game being against more moderate opposition, but it was good to see all the same.

It’s just occurred to me that I’ve attended all of the matches we’ve had red cards in. Zurich, Rangers*, Fiorentina, Motherwell. Which is remarkable given I can’t

make every game. In fact, I think the only fixture I’ve been at where we finished with 11 men was on day 1 v County. Perhaps I should stop coming…

Fair, but 100% the opposition plays apart and tbh v Rangers I thought we done really well with 10 until we tired late on.

2-0 after 25 mins I thought we'd  get ripped to pieces , we also really should have scored before they got a 3rd.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They are as fragile as we are defensively at the moment, I’d be going for the jugular tonight. It’s a free hit essentially. 

Do not lie down. We are a good team as shown on Sunday playing 60 mins with 10 men and still creating numerous chances. 

It's more of a free hit now giving last nights results. 

Go out, enjoy it.

We'll create chances,  my concern is still cross balls in our box.

10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Could you, or anyone else for that matter define what a ‘free hit’ is exactly ?

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair, but 100% the opposition plays apart and tbh v Rangers I thought we done really well with 10 until we tired late on.

2-0 after 25 mins I thought we'd  get ripped to pieces , we also really should have scored before they got a 3rd.

I thought we were actually the better team before the sending off too, they were just very clinical and punished us for a couple of errors. We looked like the team in control and were creating chances.

Same thing happened last season when we lost 2-0, but McGregor got MOM.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Probably means we are expected to lose so no real pressure to get all the points.  The opposite from the game v livi at the weekend.

And also giving Aberdeen and hibs got beat when they were expected to get points means we can relax a bit and anything we get uis a bonus.

All to gain, nothing to lose scenario.

You knew that tho and are gearing up for a rant.

Just go ahead and post it.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We haven’t fallen any further behind than we were due to results going our way last night. 

There isn’t “as much” pressure on us tonight as there was at this time yesterday because Hibs and Aberdeen both lost. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

I thought we were actually the better team before the sending off too, they were just very clinical and punished us for a couple of errors. We looked like the team in control and were creating chances.

Same thing happened last season when we lost 2-0, but McGregor got MOM.

Agreed. 

I thought we played well...got beat 4-0

Fitbaw is a funny auld game.

Shooter McGavin

A draw would be a good result, all things considered.

They’ll either be right up for it because of their loss to St Johnstone, or we could start the game strong and slowly turn the atmosphere poisonous as their fans will turn into a frothing mess.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Probably means we are expected to lose so no real pressure to get all the points.  The opposite from the game v livi at the weekend.

And also giving Aberdeen and hibs got beat when they were expected to get points means we can relax a bit and anything we get uis a bonus.

You said it not me 🤣

Bazzas right boot
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

You said it not me 🤣

It's so obvious. 

3, 2, 1....

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

It's so obvious. 

3, 2, 1....

I’ll be on the receiving end no doubt. 

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tell that to the 1000 fans travelling through there. Losers mentality. When you pull on the Hearts jersey there is never a game you have nothing to lose

Thunder and Lightning
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It's an awful mentality, that's what it is.  

Every game, and i mean every game we should be attempting to win and be pissed off if we don't.

This, oh well, it was Rangers, we don't usually get much is defeatist and down right ridiculous.  

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Guessing it's something to do with cricket or baseball or a sport where you hit stuff?

edit: Google says cricket 

Edited by spacerjoe

The Wrinkly Ninja

Just don’t give away soft goals and don’t get booked or sent off for stupid stuff and see what happens.

We_are_the_Hearts
6 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Every game, and i mean every game we should be attempting to win and be pissed off if we don't.

This, oh well, it was Rangers, we don't usually get much is defeatist and down right ridiculous.  

And contributes to why we don't usually get much!

4 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Just don’t give away soft goals and don’t get booked or sent off for stupid stuff and see what happens.

Pity the ref is Beaton. Would have even preferred Collum

14 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

And contributes to why we don't usually get much!

Doesn’t matter a jot what the mentality of the fan base is. What is of paramount importance is the mentality of the team. I have no doubts as to our teams mentality, especially after the win on Sunday. We are in a good place.

Generally, we don’t usually get much in Glasgow because Rangers and Celtic have far better squads than we do. Just like a lot of teams don’t often get much at Tynecastle - same reasoning.

That’s not to say it’s impossible to get a result there. 

Let’s not kid ourselves about Rangers in turmoil.  

They’ll still dominate the ball and be fired up in front of their own supporters at home. The only way to combat that and give yourself a chance is work as hard, if not harder than them.

No one is saying don’t try and play, but you need to change tack against the old firm.  We did at Tynie v Celtic, we hounded their back line, were more physical and direct.  Chances arose from that. 

If the crowd see a fired up Hearts covering ground early doors and looking sharp, it will all add to their unease at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Doesn’t matter a jot what the mentality of the fan base is. What is of paramount importance is the mentality of the team. I have no doubts as to our teams mentality, especially after the win on Sunday. We are in a good place.

Generally, we don’t usually get much in Glasgow because Rangers and Celtic have far better squads than we do. Just like a lot of teams don’t often get much at Tynecastle - same reasoning.

That’s not to say it’s impossible to get a result there. 

Don’t agree with the first sentence at all. It’s all in, fans and players. If a team plays crap consistently the club will know about it because it’s the fans who’ll be the loudest.  

Neilson even talks himself about the demands and expectancy of a club like Hearts and he very much mentions the support when he does.

The Rangers manager is getting heat from his own fans because performances aren’t up to what is normally expected.  Fans influence their club. 

Edited by Debut 4

A tough one for sure tonight. They could be like a wounded animal! Its not been a happy hunting ground for us over the years. A few memorable moments  Tommy Murray sitting on the ball and Donald Ford knocking it in, then there was Alan Johnson's magnificent 3, but generally a place we dont perform.

Think Robbie needs to adopt a different tactic to whats come before. 

Trying to park the bus , defend our 18 yard line and play 1 as a spearhead in attack, take the sting out of them first 20 , get their fans turning against them and as the game progresses nick a goal on the break i think would be the correct approach tonight , we'd really fool them with this new approach , a masterclass, afterall its Rangers dont forget.

Theyve some top top players not performing just now, their form is poor and with the ref being one of us ,a win looks possible. If they catch fire then a home win potentially occurs.

Agreeing with Jimmy a lot - hate this free hit nonsense

its a game worth 3 points that would raise our confidence levels to go and try and get out of the pack and clear in 3rd

or like many fans on here mibbe we are happy to be in the pack and just not give a feck about trying to achieve something in Glasgow.

Having said all that much better Hearts teams have failed miserably through there but still shouldn’t stop the players going out there and put down a marker. 

RustyRightPeg

By the way I’m not advocating us setting up defensively and not giving a shit about the result tonight - quite the opposite actually. 

The point I’m making is we aren’t under as much pressure to pick up a result to keep in touch with Hibs and Aberdeen as we were this time yesterday! 

Take the Istanbul away game as an example, the team played a lot more confidently and free, because they weren’t under as much pressure to pick up a result, yes the game went against us, but I had no complaints about effort or style that night! That’s all I’m asking for tonight, hopefully we don’t leave with 0 points. 

Folk just pick fights on here. Someone says white and the other says black “because it’s a forum”. 

11 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Agreeing with Jimmy a lot - hate this free hit nonsense

its a game worth 3 points that would raise our confidence levels to go and try and get out of the pack and clear in 3rd

or like many fans on here mibbe we are happy to be in the pack and just not give a feck about trying to achieve something in Glasgow.

Having said all that much better Hearts teams have failed miserably through there but still shouldn’t stop the players going out there and put down a marker. 

Whether you are a fan that thinks we should go all guns blazing or sit back and hit on the break or a mixture of the two, this will not influence how Robbie will have the team try and play.  Of course every fan wants to win in Glasgow but the sad fact is until we have a bit more quality in the team and an injury free 1st team its an extremely tough thing to do,

Personally, I'd always like to see us have a go where on the day it might just happen for us but on another day get scudded by 3,4,5.   As opposed to camping in our own half and trying to sneak a point. 

I get where the "free hit" chat is coming from. ** Hopefully we wont have the usual suspects wetting the bed if it doesn't go our way. 

** Not aimed at you Clerry Jambo 🙂

Edited by damo

16 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Don’t agree with the first sentence at all. It’s all in, fans and players. If a team plays crap consistently the club will know about it because it’s the fans who’ll be the loudest.  

Neilson even talks himself about the demands and expectancy of a club like Hearts and he very much mentions the support when he does.

The Rangers manager is getting heat from his own fans because performances aren’t up to what is normally expected.  Fans influence their club. 

I get this. Totally. Fans absolutely influence their clubs.

And although the fans can either motivate or (hopefully in the home end tonight) demotivate the players, ultimately it’s the players mentality which will assist in determining the outcome of matches - along with their ability of course and potentially decisions made by officials.

What I mean is, I could be thinking “I can’t see us getting anything tonight”, but by me having this view/mentality, it won’t stop me in anyway doing my best to cheer the players on at the match itself and it won’t affect our players mentality’s either - which, as I said, I think are very strong.

4 minutes ago, damo said:

Whether you are a fan that thinks we should go all guns blazing or sit back and hit on the break or a mixture of the two, this will not influence how Robbie will have the team try and play.  Of course every fan wants to win in Glasgow but the sad fact is until we have a bit more quality in the team and an injury free 1st team its an extremely tough thing to do,

Personally, I'd always like to see us have a go where on the day it might just happen for us but on another day get scudded by 3,4,5.   As opposed to camping in our own half and trying to sneak a point. 

I get where the "free hit" chat is coming from. ** Hopefully we wont have the usual suspects wetting the bed if it doesn't go our way. 

** Not aimed at you Clerry Jambo 🙂

A free hit to me is a game that has no bearing on position or end of season game with nothing at stake, something like that. 

Love to see us go through there and stand up to them and hopefully a break or 2 goes our way

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

By the way I’m not advocating us setting up defensively and not giving a shit about the result tonight - quite the opposite actually. 

The point I’m making is we aren’t under as much pressure to pick up a result to keep in touch with Hibs and Aberdeen as we were this time yesterday! 

Take the Istanbul away game as an example, the team played a lot more confidently and free, because they weren’t under as much pressure to pick up a result, yes the game went against us, but I had no complaints about effort or style that night! That’s all I’m asking for tonight, hopefully we don’t leave with 0 points. 

Folk just pick fights on here. Someone says white and the other says black “because it’s a forum”. 

Yip.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

35 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Let’s not kid ourselves about Rangers in turmoil.  

They’ll still dominate the ball and be fired up in front of their own supporters at home. The only way to combat that and give yourself a chance is work as hard, if not harder than them.

No one is saying don’t try and play, but you need to change tack against the old firm.  We did at Tynie v Celtic, we hounded their back line, were more physical and direct.  Chances arose from that. 

If the crowd see a fired up Hearts covering ground early doors and looking sharp, it will all add to their unease at the moment. 

This ☝️ hard work can conquer talent from time to time. It'll be difficult though, for 4 reasons - 

1. It's Rangers

2. They're in 'wounded animal' mode which is never good for us

3. It's in Glasgow

4. Brother Beaton is the ref

... the only thing that could make things worse is if Brother Walsh is in control of VAR. Difficult night ahead but, if we perform as we have done in the last 3 games, taking something away from hunbrox is possible. Expect 20 minutes of add-on time if we're drawing!

FTH FTOF FTSFA

1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Course it is. Some of our shitebag fans might well write off 8 games per season (almost a quarter)on the grounds that we ‘don’t normally win so it’s okay to lose’

I note St Johnstone and St Mirren (both able to overtake us tonight with a win) didn’t recently view the OF as a free hit and I expect our team and coaches to have no truck with this laughable bawbagery.

We get beat 4 or 5 tonight and you can see already the posters who think it will be okay because it was a ‘free hit’ Losers, every last one of them.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Well in my book if it's a competitive game it means something and is therefore definitively NOT a 'free hit'. Hate the term, I feel it's defeatist.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Losers mentality if we get beat, don't get all Leeds United about it because they have loadsaaa money and better Player's, and they pay more.

And because Aberdeen and the Jakeballs didn't win, we don't need to win either.

Also it doesn't matter how Robbie does in big games, and he can't be judged,because we are inferior and they have loadsaaa cash.

Don’t want to be negative but can’t help feeling it’ll be same old story despite there being a bit optimism this time.

If Rangers are up for it then they will comfortably dictate the game. Neilson will get criticised for us not ‘having a go’ without any consideration that a Rangers side on their game will prevent us from doing so for the majority of the game.

Will need to ride our luck, hope their chances flash past the post and that Clark/Gordon has a good game.

One theme from games at Parkhead/Ibrox under Neilson is that we seem to perform better in them as the game goes on. I recall us being fairly dominant the last half our the game that Halkett equalised, same a game at Parkhead last year when we were unfortunate not to take anything.

The mood in Ibrox could be a real hinderance to them if we can ride our luck and keep it tight until into the 2nd half, unfortunately I fear we’ll be behind at the break as usual though.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

8 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Don’t want to be negative but can’t help feeling it’ll be same old story despite there being a bit optimism this time.

If Rangers are up for it then they will comfortably dictate the game. Neilson will get criticised for us not ‘having a go’ without any consideration that a Rangers side on their game will prevent us from doing so for the majority of the game.

Will need to ride our luck, hope their chances flash past the post and that Clark/Gordon has a good game.

One theme from games at Parkhead/Ibrox under Neilson is that we seem to perform better in them as the game goes on. I recall us being fairly dominant the last half our the game that Halkett equalised, same a game at Parkhead last year when we were unfortunate not to take anything.

The mood in Ibrox could be a real hinderance to them if we can ride our luck and keep it tight until into the 2nd half, unfortunately I fear we’ll be behind at the break as usual though.

We have played against Instanbul, Fiorentina this season, what's the difference?

Nothing to fear tonight. Need a change in mentality in Glasgow on how we approach these game. In about them high press and get them pumped. They are in a bad place. 

They aren't great at the back either with Goldson out, both King and Sands are pretty experienced so we really could do with putting them under some pressure. They do still have quality players though and with it being at Ibrox you always need for things to go your way and them to have a bit of an off night. It's possible and we shouldn't be going there fearing them. I think Istanbul are just as good a side as either of the OF and we played really well in the away game last week and kept the ball so much better. Silly goals done us in, cut the mistakes like that out and perform at the same level and you never know what can happen. Vital that we are clinical in front of goal as well if we get presented with any chances and got to keep our discipline. Beaton is hopeless and we all know about his leanings towards Rangers so we are up against it from the start. 

Nelly Terraces

They've quite a few players out due to injuries as well so hopefully that plays a part. I'd say we have 1 key player in our side & that is Snodgrass who quite frankly is about 1 of the only players they'd immediately have in their team, he is well above the SPL level & is still very fit. If we can get a bit more control of midfield then we have a better chance of getting something out of this game, though as always there it's gonna be a tough ask, but fingers crossed lads.

GORGIE RULES.

Gordon

Smith    Sibbick    Rowles    Cochrane

Kio    Devlin

Ginnelly    Snodgrass    Halliday

Shanks 

Being cynical, they’re not getting any penalties off us because Celtic haven’t been awarded many penalties and Beaton will want to be balancing it out.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe, but Aberdeen and  hibs got beat 4-1 and 6-1.

Livi got a point by scoring early and kicking the ball away for the rest of the game. 

Utd got close to a point at Parkhead but got skelped 9-0 at home.

Much of a muchness for all in Glasgow.

Didn't they defend something like 80 crosses? If we have to defend 80 crosses we'll get beat 80-0 lol - we are absolutely murder defending crosses and corners.

Keeping their wingers quiet will be key to us getting anything from this game. Our full backs will need to be on their game and our midfield will need to be ready to drop out wide to help them. Cammy and Nate will be absolutely buzzing to play tonight so looking for big performances from them. Cochrane is riding a wave just now and will want that to continue, and Snodgrass will run a marathon tonight I reckon.

Actually half looking forward to this one. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 hours ago, 1953 said:

As usual I'm expecting nothing from this game. The Rangers are under pressure to get back to winning ways and I can see them doing just that tonight. I'll snatch your hand off for a draw right now but I'll be happy if we come through it without any more injuries or red cards.

if its close we will get a red card

I think we have a chance tonight ! Rangers very vulnerable the now and Hearts bouncing off that great win on Sunday ! 

A pretty tough gig imo 

Rangers are struggling falling behind Celtic and coming off a poor result so send for….

Super Beaton.

the whole thing is so biased they don’t even try to disguise it

Scottish football 😟😟

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Are the Aussie lads already away to join their WC squad or available for tonight/Saturday???

They are available for both remaining games as far as I am aware 

58 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Course it is. Some of our shitebag fans might well write off 8 games per season (almost a quarter)on the grounds that we ‘don’t normally win so it’s okay to lose’

I note St Johnstone and St Mirren (both able to overtake us tonight with a win) didn’t recently view the OF as a free hit and I expect our team and coaches to have no truck with this laughable bawbagery.

We get beat 4 or 5 tonight and you can see already the posters who think it will be okay because it was a ‘free hit’ Losers, every last one of them.

Not sure who you think you are speaking for but I don't see anyone 'taking' a 4-5 goal defeat happily under the heading 'free hit'.  Reality is when we play OF 10 times we might win 2.  It's a fact of life.  It doesn't mean you surrender.  We could play great and still come up short.  OF always lift their game against us as opposed to other 'weaker' teams.  It is what it is.  If we get a result tonight, fantastic.  If we get humped nobody on this forum is going to be happy.