Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

Thought Toby took a lot of the traffic in the first half and, as it was the first game of the season, a lot of the simple stuff was overly complicated. First touch, support play and positioning all rusty. That said, I couldn't fault his commitment and he was getting more right than wrong as the game developed. He was also marking the Ross County #7 who, for me, was the best player on the pitch. 

'Put in a shift' as they say - a generous 7/10 given the workload from me. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

upgotheheads
10 hours ago, McCrae said:

Agreed. Atkinson had one of the worst games in recent years of any Hearts player. We were so lucky not be punished. Huge improvement when he went off. 

What a load of b******s. Ross County have good players and were particularly strong on their left side. The team was poor first half, especially midfield with Haring and Smith, and the improvement was down to Smith being taken out of the middle and Grant coming on in his place after Atkinson was injured. We improved from that moment on.

10 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Toby Sibbick was absolutely fine today. Nothing to see here 👍🏻

Far better than Smith and Haring put together imo. A couple of scary moments but defended well. RC attacking line impressed me today and on that performance will make top 5/6 easy. Toby did well against a strong attack team and will only improve.  Dusting off the cobwebs today from us but we’ll be more match ready next Sunday. FTH

Just now, SMJ_1874 said:

Far better than Smith and Haring put together imo. A couple of scary moments but defended well. RC attacking line impressed me today and on that performance will make top 5/6 easy. Toby did well against a strong attack team and will only improve.  Dusting off the cobwebs today from us but we’ll be more match ready next Sunday. FTH

Spot on about RC - a top six side again this season I reckon.  Toby had a slow start yesterday, but looked far more assured once Smith went to right wing back.  I still think that he’s better suited to a defensive midfield role rather the the right sided centre back position.

Thought Smith helped Sibbick a lot once he moved out to RB.

Coached him through the second half, constantly talking to him.

stirlingcounty
53 minutes ago, Zaba said:

Spot on, we have for years signed players and don’t play them in their preferred positions , Toby is a classic example, clearly not a right sided , more suited to a central role or a defensive midfielder, Smith age clearly makes him now not a midfielder, Haring is the one who has been played in his NON position and been successful. Suggesting a good old 442 for the Hobos game. 

12 hours ago, ooh-aah-cantona said:

Sibbick was definitely poor first half but not the worst player on show in the first 45 minutes. That was Atkinson.

He had a better 2nd 45 but I don’t know what it is with him and the right sided centre half position of a 3; is it him being too casual or is he just lacking in confidence when played there? 

He won’t be first choice there by the end of the transfer window, that’s for sure. The question is, where do you play him - centre of a back 3 (back up to Halkett) or in centre midfield as a replacement for Haring?

Sibbick stuck in there and got better as the game went on. Atkinson was awful and left Sibbick exposed constantly.  I do feel that we have three second choice players on that side of the defence though. RCB and another striker are musts. 

Ford Prentice
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Sibbick stuck in there and got better as the game went on. Atkinson was awful and left Sibbick exposed constantly.  I do feel that we have three second choice players on that side of the defence though. RCB and another striker are musts. 

To be fair, Atkinson was ill and hadn't trained. He and coaches thought he might be OK but quickly realised he wasn't and promptly subbed. Not his fault.

Edited by Ford Prentice

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Zaba said:

You speak a lot of sense, I like it. 

Others on here should take note and pay particular attention to your stuff. 

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Sibbick is simply not good enough. 

Not good enough to be in the same side as Haring and Smith? 

7 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

What a load of b******s. Ross County have good players and were particularly strong on their left side. The team was poor first half, especially midfield with Haring and Smith, and the improvement was down to Smith being taken out of the middle and Grant coming on in his place after Atkinson was injured. We improved from that moment on.

The improvement was down to Smith being a decent defender.

A good team doesn’t make a player stand in the wrong position or have the touch of an elephant.  

Atkinson is just not that good and because his touch is so poor it will be difficult for him to improve.  Very much the weak link in the squad.

No chance will his contract be extended.

BackOfTheNet

Anyone having a problem with Sibbick’s performance yesterday is either looking for a problem where there is none, or it’s the usual JKB story of writing off a player early and stubbornly sticking to it. He wasn’t outstanding or anything, but no one was. He was of a good standard throughout the 90 minutes. Zero problems for me if he’s in the starting line up.

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Anyone having a problem with Sibbick’s performance yesterday is either looking for a problem where there is none, or it’s the usual JKB story of writing off a player early and stubbornly sticking to it. He wasn’t outstanding or anything, but no one was. He was of a good standard throughout the 90 minutes. Zero problems for me if he’s in the starting line up.

👍🏽

Needs a run of games. 

upgotheheads
4 hours ago, McCrae said:

A good team doesn’t make a player stand in the wrong position or have the touch of an elephant.  

Atkinson is just not that good and because his touch is so poor it will be difficult for him to improve.  Very much the weak link in the squad.

You described Atkinson as having the worst performance of any Hearts player in recent years, which is clearly b******s, as I said.

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, McCrae said:

Sometimes I wonder what the hell people watch.

atkinson was sick yesterday firstly so a ludicrously dumb point. And his introduction to the team was pivot in how much better we were going forward last year.

you are just wrong. It’s that simple 

Sibbick was good 2nd half, poor first like the majority. However as already noted, Atkinson clearly wasn't right and Sibbick was a victim of that as everything came down that side.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Mr Elwood P

Think he will become a very good player indeed. Recovery pace alone sets him apart from most centre backs we've had in terms of potential.

Folk being critical of Atkinson: he was sick all week ...

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Think yesterday was his best performance since he returned

That's saying something because he was very poor 1st half and average 2nd half

Watt-Zeefuik

I thought his main problem in the first half was that his basic positioning was a little too narrow and left the deep wings open too often. Last season there were times that Souttar and Kingsley were almost playing on the touchlines, and I think our back 3 works better when the left and right CH play wide.

I thought otherwise he was good.

Brick Tamland

No problem at all with todays performance, he’s an athlete and will improve with each game not quite getting why he is a target for the boo boys so early in the season. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

Once he gets his confidence in he will

be a first team regular player - I feel like he could be the new Haring 

On 30/07/2022 at 23:04, ShedBoy said:

Toby Sibbick was absolutely fine today. Nothing to see here 👍🏻

He was fine. Especially second half where he took a bit more responsibility. BUT we may well be approaching a period where FINE doesn’t cut it and he’ll be marginalised if he doesn’t up his game beyond ‘fine’

Watt-Zeefuik
58 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He was fine. Especially second half where he took a bit more responsibility. BUT we may well be approaching a period where FINE doesn’t cut it and he’ll be marginalised if he doesn’t up his game beyond ‘fine’

He's not likely to be a first choice player for a while. Plenty of league games against smaller clubs at Tynecastle and League Cup games to go around for him.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Think he will become a very good player indeed. Recovery pace alone sets him apart from most centre backs we've had in terms of potential.

I agree, I'm happy we've got Sibbick

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That COULD be Robbie digging him out. If hes sick all week that’s probably going to show up with the medical team and he shouldn’t have started given the alternatives who were fit. I just thought he was having a mare against the winger and simply got hooked. Jimmy Sandison thought the same

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Mental we started Atkinson if he’d been sick all week when we had smith in midfield and grant on the bench. 

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

That COULD be Robbie digging him out. If hes sick all week that’s probably going to show up with the medical team and he shouldn’t have started given the alternatives who were fit. I just thought he was having a mare against the winger and simply got hooked. Jimmy Sandison thought the same

I noticed about 10 minutes before he went off he was doubled over gasping for breath and didn’t look right so wasn’t surprised when he went down and needed to come off. Might have just been blowing out his arse from getting the runaround🤣

fabienleclerq
22 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Just to confirm, you think sibbick is far better than Haring and Smith put together? Or had a far better game on Saturday as those two?

I think you're wrong either way but just wanted to clarify. 

Sibbick was poor first half, Atkinson not playing particularly well didn't help but TS struggled to bully their number 7 who's half his size, looked poor in possession aswell. 

He was better second half but tbh he's not the answer at RCB.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Just to confirm, you think sibbick is far better than Haring and Smith put together? Or had a far better game on Saturday as those two?

Sibbick was poor first half, Atkinson not playing particularly well didn't help but TS struggled to bully their number 7 who's half his size, looked poor in possession aswell. 

Their #7 did nothing when Smith moved in front of Sibbick. His experience helped coach him through the game. 

The criticism of Sibbick is quite tiresome IMO. 

The slow restarts, particularly from goal kicks on Saturday killed us. We were trapped in and the cb’s had absolutely nowhere to pass the ball.

Once we were in control and Sibbick was stepping forward intercepting passes and recycling the possession he looked more than adequate. He defended well. 

fabienleclerq
43 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Their #7 did nothing when Smith moved in front of Sibbick. His experience helped coach him through the game. 

The criticism of Sibbick is quite tiresome IMO. 

The slow restarts, particularly from goal kicks on Saturday killed us. We were trapped in and the cb’s had absolutely nowhere to pass the ball.

Once we were in control and Sibbick was stepping forward intercepting passes and recycling the possession he looked more than adequate. He defended well. 

It may be tiresome but its not unjustified, he's very awkward in possession and not aggressive enough. 

I think he's a confidece player who's yet to establish a position. Gorgeous me I think he'll end up a cdm rather than a cb long term 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

It may be tiresome but its not unjustified, he's very awkward in possession and not aggressive enough. 

Not sure if it is because he cut his hair but he definitely looks thinner than he did when he was here before.

He could do with being a bit more aggressive but I thought he had a decent game on Saturday and was one of our better performers.

jack D and coke
On 30/07/2022 at 22:19, jambo_4_eva said:

Just like ti remind you souttar had abit of a bombscare too today for rangers. It happens. Sibbick really good going forward. He's young, will make mistakes but might turn into a very good player for us. Needs more game time. With experience he'll be class. 

Few Rangers fans I know are really not impressed with Souttar at all.

He’s already on shaky ground especially with the performance and then hooked on Saturday. They think the Hellinger lad or whatever his name is is a far better player. 

Couple of lads I know me said he’s not played well in the friendlies either. 
He needs to find his feet and fast. 

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

I think he's a confidece player who's yet to establish a position. Gorgeous me I think he'll end up a cdm rather than a cb long term 

Well gorgeous me I think he'll be a good quality CB in maroon for years to come, I like him. I'm relaxed that he's still a bit shaky, this has happened with guys as good as Weir, Pressley, Zaliukas, Halkett and Souttar over the years too. 

He'll be fine, he's a good player.

He seems to start every game a bag of nerves before coming onto a better game in the second half. Happened again on Saturday, took too many touches in the first half and looked a little lost. Second half he was much better winning the ball higher up and stepping out from the back with it. He clearly has ability and maybe just needs to get his confidence back and keep things simple. 

Jambo in Bathgate
23 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

He seems to start every game a bag of nerves before coming onto a better game in the second half. Happened again on Saturday, took too many touches in the first half and looked a little lost. Second half he was much better winning the ball higher up and stepping out from the back with it. He clearly has ability and maybe just needs to get his confidence back and keep things simple. 

Don’t think any Hearts player coped well with the front 3 of Ross County in first 30 mins. Atkinson was clearly unwell. Lack of competitive games at start of season hadn’t helped. County came out flying. 

On 31/07/2022 at 08:31, upgotheheads said:

This in spades. Haring & Smith were getting absolutely rinsed in the middle, constantly caught in posession, too slow to move the ball, too slow on the turn, misplacing passes, just awful. The minute Smith got moved out right & Grant came in we looked a totally different team & ended the half as the better side.

gordon simpson
20 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Agree 100% 

section s heart

I'd like to see Toby being more aggressive and committed. Sometimes he starts favourite chasing a ball up the channel and despite his pace he looks like he steps aside a bit letting his opponent get to the ball first. 

But he's a product of our signing policy of bringing in young players who we expect to develop, and with good coaching, and help from the likes of Smith, as we saw on Saturday, he will improve. 

Noticeable that with RC pushing 3 up front, they pushed us into a back 5 at times in the first half. Problem because if you can't get WB's into play in the attacking half, it's questionable if you should play the formation at all. Things did improve due mostly to Grant and Forrest's second half performances. 

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, section s heart said:

I'd like to see Toby being more aggressive and committed. Sometimes he starts favourite chasing a ball up the channel and despite his pace he looks like he steps aside a bit letting his opponent get to the ball first. 

But he's a product of our signing policy of bringing in young players who we expect to develop, and with good coaching, and help from the likes of Smith, as we saw on Saturday, he will improve. 

Noticeable that with RC pushing 3 up front, they pushed us into a back 5 at times in the first half. Problem because if you can't get WB's into play in the attacking half, it's questionable if you should play the formation at all. Things did improve due mostly to Grant and Forrest's second half performances. 

There was numerous opportunities for us to switch out of a press on Saturday but for some reason everyone shirked their responsibility to try the pass.

Incidentally Sibbick drifted over to the left during an attack just before half time and was the first one that did it. 

Once we got out their press we were comfy. 

Rogue Daddy

Not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating... there's definitely a player there, a bit shakey in the first half but far better in the second. I don't think he's a natural defender - more of a better midfielder that breaks up play. That said, for him to be a better defender he just needs to work on his timing... far too often he lets the ball bounce instead of attacking/heading it - but this can/will be coached. The lads got pace to burn but will need a run of games if he's to be a right sided defender - definitely has the ability and pace.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating... there's definitely a player there, a bit shakey in the first half but far better in the second. I don't think he's a natural defender - more of a better midfielder that breaks up play. That said, for him to be a better defender he just needs to work on his timing... far too often he lets the ball bounce instead of attacking/heading it - but this can/will be coached. The lads got pace to burn but will need a run of games if he's to be a right sided defender - definitely has the ability and pace.

I’d imagine all of his coaches from his schoolboy days up to Barnsley have tried to coach this into him.  Some things in football need to come naturally, some are just common sense and some need coached.   I don’t see him being anything more than a back up for the CB and defensive midfield positions - not good enough to make any of these positions his own.  We only play 2 central midfielders, he’s probably 5th choice for there (or 4th if we’re always to play two holding players with no place for Grant).

5 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Maybe a bit harsh saying better than two out together but smith and Haring were poor first half. Starting with Atkinson who was ill was a bad move and maybe why our midfield was over run. Once NA went off then we played better.  Only Cochrane first half gets pass marks. Toby is still very raw and inexperienced and was given a torrid time by their number 7. Definitely agree that TS isn’t an RCB. Needs to have a few games in midfield to see if that’s his natural position but he scares me at times at RCB. 

It also didn’t work playing two wingers and Shankland when both Forrest and McKay had to help out in midfield which left Shanks isolated and starved of service. I’d love to see Boyce or Grant in behind him as he’ll score goals with the correct service. 

Big Pete and Smith are good players but they don’t work together in the middle of the park. Would like to see Devlin in beside PH and hopefully get the desired result on Sunday. 

Sign of a good team when playing badly and getting 3 points. Hope first half is a one off but credit to Ross County as they’ll take points off lots of teams this year. 

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Well gorgeous me I think he'll be a good quality CB in maroon for years to come, I like him. I'm relaxed that he's still a bit shaky, this has happened with guys as good as Weir, Pressley, Zaliukas, Halkett and Souttar over the years too. 

He'll be fine, he's a good player.

Ha ha never noticed that 😆 🤣 😂 

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )