• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

9 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

👍👏

It’s not the first time we’ve been caught out after PH has been taken off. 

Correct. I was really pleased when he agreed his new contract.
It seems clear that we have our strongest squad in years(and it has improvement in it), no-one will play every 90 (except CG hopefully), but it has a way to go before we get to Haring being the weak link.

👍

RustyRightPeg

Think back to how folk spoke of Halkett, probably until the tail end of last season. 

Sibbick is a young lad, he looks well liked by his team mates and physically he has all the attributes. He’ll come good. 

He's done well so far.  Some mistakes which is normal for a new centre back, especially one so young.  He has good attributes hence our investment in him.  Certainly no need to write him off so early.  Reminds me a bit of those that were quick to say Simms had a poor first touch after one or two games, and then couldn't eat humble pie when it was proved rubbish.

He's still young and will develop. He'll play his part this season and I reckon he's got the ability to do v well for us. He has a good attitude and likely just needs a bit of time and confidence still to really get going.

davemclaren
35 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Think back to how folk spoke of Halkett, probably until the tail end of last season. 

Sibbick is a young lad, he looks well liked by his team mates and physically he has all the attributes. He’ll come good. 

Indeed. 

Horatio Caine

I find it hard when we bring in a player, like, say, Sibbick - who clearly has ability and, as been said, a good attitude, then people come on here with all sorts of negative opinions.  I noticed someone said he lacks confidence;  well no ****ing wonder!!!  We're supporters.  That means we support our players, build up their confidence.  Like others on here, i think Sibbick will prove to be a top player for us, given time, coaching and support from us.

I like Sibbick, he looks like he has lots of potential.

He has all of the basics, good passing, speed and can take the ball forward well to break the lines. 

The mistakes we saw last year are typical from someone young who needs experience. He looks like he has learned from his mistake in the semi.

Very happy to have him in the squad. He has looked good during preseason.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

He’s pretty classy on the ball - saw it setting up the pen last week and he was pretty unlucky on Saturday as he almost beat one of the last men just before they scored.

The fact he lost the ball in their half though is pretty decent evidence that that goal wasn’t his fault.

Clark Griswold

I am still unconvinced with Toby. Willing to give him time, but some of his play last season was a bit to be desired. Hope he makes it so will see how this season goes before writing him off completely.

Edited by Clark Griswold
typo

BackOfTheNet
18 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

I find it hard when we bring in a player, like, say, Sibbick - who clearly has ability and, as been said, a good attitude, then people come on here with all sorts of negative opinions.  I noticed someone said he lacks confidence;  well no ****ing wonder!!!  We're supporters.  That means we support our players, build up their confidence.  Like others on here, i think Sibbick will prove to be a top player for us, given time, coaching and support from us.

Constantly say we have many supporters that can’t fathom what support is. Agree with what you say.

Needs a decent pair of boots that keep him upright. Always looks like skating on ice. Just my opinion based on years of ignorance

On 23/07/2022 at 23:13, moonraker said:

Other than a couple of games for us  I think he has mainly played in defense. I could be wrong though.

Played midfield with Stendel and I thought he was the best player every game he played. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Honestly I’m going to give him another entire year 

I will hold my hands up and say, I had zero faith in Craig Halkett. That was after 2 full years in our team. I thought he needed emptied. Then he comes good, finds his feet and is now basically one of our best players and most valuable assets. It took time. About 40-50 games he started getting to the level we needed. That’s him on 78 games now, one of the first names on the team sheet

So, throughout this season, I still expect mistakes and nervousness from Sibbick.

Of course KBers won’t share that patience so unfortunately there’ll be a season of pelters in store for Sibbick

Around the 50 game point I’ll start judging him. He’s on 14 games. 

3 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Played midfield with Stendel and I thought he was the best player every game he played. 

both games.... he only played twice. Well 1 and a half..

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

What do you mean “every game” he only played 1 game there?

He gets caught ball watching  too many times to be a centre half , could make a decent defensive midfielder if he kicks on though.

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Honestly I’m going to give him another entire year 

I will hold my hands up and say, I had zero faith in Craig Halkett. That was after 2 full years in our team. I thought he needed emptied. Then he comes good, finds his feet and is now basically one of our best players and most valuable assets. It took time. About 40-50 games he started getting to the level we needed. That’s him on 78 games now, one of the first names on the team sheet

So, throughout this season, I still expect mistakes and nervousness from Sibbick.

Of course KBers won’t share that patience so unfortunately there’ll be a season of pelters in store for Sibbick

Around the 50 game point I’ll start judging him. He’s on 14 games. 

Agree with all of this. 

Sibbick has been built up as a great messiah of a holding midfield player ever since he put in that brilliant performance against rangers in his first spell before getting glandular fever almost immediately after. 

He’s a centre half, a young centre half who makes mistakes but a centre half nonetheless.

we’ve had him for six months and he’s made some mistakes although he hasn’t been nearly as bad as folk make out, his application and his desire to do well by the club are clear to see.

He might not end up making it here but we’ve got the next three years to find out so trying to write him off as quickly as possible really is a fruitless exercise 

Edited by BigAlim

38 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

That's why I said "Apart from a couple of games for us" I liked him in those games but CB for rest of his career I think

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Agree with all of this. 

Sibbick has been built up as a great messiah of a holding midfield player ever since he put in that brilliant performance against rangers in his first spell before getting glandular fever almost immediately after. 

He’s a centre half, a young centre half who makes mistakes but a centre half nonetheless.

He might not end up making it here but we’ve got the next three years to find out so trying to write him off as quickly as possible really is a fruitless exercise 

He gives us cover in both areas, but I agree with the above, he's still young and will turn out to be a great signing in my opinion. One of his strengths is that he has enough skill to carry the ball forward from deep just as Souttar often did.

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not just Halkett that was misjudged early on here. Zaliukas also.

How long was Zal with us? 7 years?

I'd say he was written off as a bombscare for about 4 of those by many on here.

pharmaceutical01

I think he will come good.       

Mistakes yes but also remember some brilliant defending....he saved us at Easter Road last season by blocking a shot that had gone past CG

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Bauld said:

How long was Zal with us? 7 years?

I'd say he was written off as a bombscare for about 4 of those by many on here.

Yip, I wasn’t overly convinced his first few seasons but he certainly came on to a game. 

2 hours ago, moonraker said:

That's why I said "Apart from a couple of games for us" I liked him in those games but CB for rest of his career I think

Probably you are correct but all be it was only 2 games sitting midfield he was very good. 

been here before

There was one point today in the game where he'd fluffed a pass and his head went down, that he reminded me of Sean Clare.

Im not sure his confidence has really recovered from his poor, basic decision not to put the ball in the stand which led to the Hibs goal in the semi. First half didnt really happen and the crowd got to him a little. 2nd half a couple of decent early touches and the crowd is with him. 

Like Clare he seems to have a game that requires positive inputs and struggles overly with negatives. Clare found the use of a sports psychologist immensely beneficial. I wonder if Sibbick is of a similar mindset. Im presuming this is something available to players at Tynecastle.

fabienleclerq
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

There was one point today in the game where he'd fluffed a pass and his head went down, that he reminded me of Sean Clare.

Im not sure his confidence has really recovered from his poor, basic decision not to put the ball in the stand which led to the Hibs goal in the semi. First half didnt really happen and the crowd got to him a little. 2nd half a couple of decent early touches and the crowd is with him. 

Like Clare he seems to have a game that requires positive inputs and struggles overly with negatives. Clare found the use of a sports psychologist immensely beneficial. I wonder if Sibbick is of a similar mindset. Im presuming this is something available to players at Tynecastle.

Good comparison, one I've never thought of until now. Similarly je doesn't seem to have a best position yet.

His decision making in the first have wasn't great and Edwards (I think) gave him a torrid time.

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Good comparison, one I've never thought of until now. Similarly je doesn't seem to have a best position yet.

His decision making in the first have wasn't great and Edwards (I think) gave him a torrid time.

I was able to see Halkett talking to him loads in the 2nd half and keep reassuring him etc which lifted him. 

He definitely improved 2nd half nicking the ball off them alot and keeping it simple. 

First half their winger (number 7) was having a field day.

He was shaky first half although the team's entire performance didn't help that.

Thought he improved a lot in the 2nd. 

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, 151 said:

I was able to see Halkett talking to him loads in the 2nd half and keep reassuring him etc which lifted him. 

He definitely improved 2nd half nicking the ball off them alot and keeping it simple. 

First half their winger (number 7) was having a field day.

Yeah definitely improved second half, needs to be far more aggressive. Couple times he got pushed off the ball far too easy.

I’m his smallest fan and I thought he was great today. Anyone saying otherwise is simply lying.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’m his smallest fan and I thought he was great today. Anyone saying otherwise is simply lying.

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

There's plenty of agendas against this guy... I wonder why?

It's clear there's a player in there.

5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

A blamehound in the making.

Someone has to be I suppose.

He had a very poor first half, look uncomfortable in position and Edwards was causing him and natty a lot of problems.

For me its not a question of ability and talent, its if sibbock can manage the mental side of playing in a full expecting tynie.  Clearly a very good player there, but  needs to settle into a game much quicker

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He was terrible in the first half. Gave away possession almost every time he had it and wanted to take 4 touches when 1 would do. Improved 2nd half. 

By saying he was great today I’m afraid you’re the one telling porkies.

Mixed bag. Did some stuff well, some stuff was shaky. I’ll give him points on courage….he never gets down about things but that doesn’t negate his lack of football ability regards passing and decision making.  

I’d be worried about Sibbick against stronger opposition.  

Edited by Debut 4

been here before
14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Why not tell us Jeff what you dont have the balls to really say Jeff instead if your usual bullshit pretend hinting?

jambo_4_eva
29 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Think people forgot he's no played that many senior games. Should be a very good player after 50 or so games for us. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, been here before said:

If I remember correctly we've brought a sport psychologist or similiar in full time. 

AlphonseCapone
33 minutes ago, Jeff said:

What do you think it is? 

AlphonseCapone

He was poor first half, got better the second. He's very shaky on the ball at times yet capable of that run against PNE. I think he needs to become more aggressive and absolutely agree he needs to work on his self-belief. 

20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why not tell us Jeff what you dont have the balls to really say Jeff instead if your usual bullshit pretend hinting?

What? That I think a group of our support are racist? 

Just strange today that everyone had a stinker first half and people were singling out Sibbick.

Maybe it's a coincidence but the same happened with Djoum & Bauben

tartofmidlothian
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Fair play to him today. Thought he had a good game.

18 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Horrendous first half

Very good second - fair play to him

Agree about the second half part. Good at winning headers, made some confident tackles.

Serge Pizzorno
Just now, Jeff said:

What? That I think a group of our support are racist? 

Just strange today that everyone had a stinker first half and people were singling out Sibbick.

Maybe it's a coincidence but the same happened with Djoum & Bauben

And Cowie, Sammon, Woodburn, Whelan, Berra, Halliday, Stewart, Pereira, Zlamal, Boyce, GMS, Maclean and many others…. 

Funnily enough, people have opinions, and 99% of people who have opinions base them on **** to do with race. Grow up and spout your nonsense elsewhere. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )