***Official Heart of Midlothian v H1b5 Match Day Thread***

Wee Mikey

Horatio Caine

I'm by no means a Robbie hater - far from it.  But I do think he could have put either Gino or Euan Henderson on to inject a bit of energy to our forward play.  Boyce was done well before he was subbed.  But we should have kept playing on the front foot imo.

Easy to say that now in hindsight.  We move on.  Watching United struggling with Livi atm.  

Edited by Horatio Caine

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Yes that’s true but as the match gets closer to 90 it’s only natural to drop back  

Tactics, a high line, catch them offside, man to man marking, waste minutes, play into the corners, make petty wee fouls, and every trick in the book. It’s easy.

2 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

I reckon with that squad we've got, and that mindset, then we'd be good enough to blow the rest of the league away. 

I dont think we can win the league,but scoosh third every year? 

Should be easily doable. 

Won't happen when we set out to defend 1 0 leads in games we are dominating though. And it's not a first either. 

It's a mentality thing. Rangers and celtic NEVER let you play your game. Youre to busy dealing with theirs. 

That's the difference between wee teams like us and big teams like them. 

I think anyone who thinks we are blowing away everyone else is going to be regularly upset. 

Hibs, Aberdeen and Utd look better than last year, there will be a proper battle for third like most years. 

We were fortunate that nobody could put two wins together, won't happen again.

Just now, mitch41 said:

Tactics, a high line, catch them offside, man to man marking, waste minutes, play into the corners, make petty wee fouls, and every trick in the book. It’s easy.

😂😂😂

Watt-Zeefuik

Folk are saying, "why the change in formation?"

Hibs brought Boyle on and Neilson rightly was worried about him, whatever the banter is. Robbie wanted Cochrane to be able to range forward while still having plenty of cover on the left side of the defence.

For the most part it worked and Cochrane and Rowles utterly contained him. Hibs generated very little threat until the last minute when Rowles and Sibbick got wires crossed and he slipped through.

Central Belt 1874
14 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Fair play.... I'm knocking back a few, but no need to hit the panic button. On another day we would have scored more. We do need another option up front. Credit to Hibs, they have spent some money & brought Boyle back with immediate effect. Where is our marquee signing?? 

I'm gutted we drew, feels like a defeat but pleased with the performances of our new signings. The squad is good, just one or two more additions needed. Truly feel we are in a great place. Looking forward to the season! 

Theres no panic button being hit here.

Still positive. Just theres serious work to be done by the board, Neilson and the players by the end of this month. 

David McCaig
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Kye Rowles mom think we’ve got the makings of a great player there

Rowles was excellent and I wonder if he can switch to RCH when Kingsley returns.  Cochrane has certainly cemented the LWB role now.

4 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

They might not have but it's a braver choice. Lots of fans prefer brave. Small margins though for sure. But bringing on Gino for the last 8 or 9 minutes might make Cadden and their Croatian boy less confident about playing basically as outside forwards, it might have made Newell and Henderson at least have to turn around and look behind them before trying to drive their team forward. These things can stifle momentum big time, never mind it gives our defenders something to aim at when clearing. Might change the flow of the game, might just change the psychology of even a couple of their players. Ferguson used to talk about this kind of thing all the time - marginal gains, if you can make even a couple of the opposition think twice or feel a bit rattled, then that was a good thing. 

They were one nil down, so had to go for it. That wasn't changing if Ginnley come on or not.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah definitely, he just doesn’t to create much or look like scoring, I think he should’ve been replaced by Ginnelly to give Shankland some help or even push Mckay central. The subs were awful

and cost us two points. 

For sure. Folk have different opinions and if we held out nothing would have been said but if we had some pace up top at the end we might not have been defending like we were and lost that goal 

Even more sickening and compounded by the fact that they are absolutely shite 

Салатные палочки
28 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Fair play.... I'm knocking back a few, but no need to hit the panic button. On another day we would have scored more. We do need another option up front. Credit to Hibs, they have spent some money & brought Boyle back with immediate effect. Where is our marquee signing?? 

I'm gutted we drew, feels like a defeat but pleased with the performances of our new signings. The squad is good, just one or two more additions needed. Truly feel we are in a great place. Looking forward to the season! 

Boyle aside, what Hibs player would you have anywhere near our team never mind our starting eleven? 

One of our signings scored today. 

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

They might not have but it's a braver choice. Lots of fans prefer brave. Small margins though for sure. But bringing on Gino for the last 8 or 9 minutes might make Cadden and their Croatian boy less confident about playing basically as outside forwards, it might have made Newell and Henderson at least have to turn around and look behind them before trying to drive their team forward. These things can stifle momentum big time, never mind it gives our defenders something to aim at when clearing. Might change the flow of the game, might just change the psychology of even a couple of their players. Ferguson used to talk about this kind of thing all the time - marginal gains, if you can make even a couple of the opposition think twice or feel a bit rattled, then that was a good thing. 

Halliday scored two in the final league derby last season. Wrong sub IMO but to me it's not about bravery, it's about who's going to have the graft to generate something.

This will get me pelters but to me the right choice would have been GMS.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Just now, jambopilms said:

They were one nil down, so had to go for it. That wasn't changing if Ginnley come on or not.

Yeah, maybe, hindsight and all that. I would just like the psychology of the team to get closer to the way Savage speaks. But sure, even bigger teams lose last minute equalisers - we did it at Ibrox last season. Happens. 

brunoatemyhamster
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I think anyone who thinks we are blowing away everyone else is going to be regularly upset. 

Hibs, Aberdeen and Utd look better than last year, there will be a proper battle for third like most years. 

We were fortunate that nobody could put two wins together, won't happen again.

Totally agree about last seasons battle for third. 

But if we're not aiming to do third every single year at least, then what's the point? 

Throwing 2 points away all the time is not the way to do it. 

We should have won that today. Derby or no Derby, there were questionable tactical decisions made at 1 0................. again. 

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

colinmorewasgash

See they are all celebrating a draw dont blame them but no point saying we wdnt have done same if roles reversed. Players let us down fair enough but if you invite teams coming at you theres chance they will eventually score this isnt one off with us neilson levein and various managers have did same but  most managers hve beaten them there when your manager can't win a game at fester road in all games he's been in charge in 2 spells you have to ask why is he just unlucky or is it his tactics. The definition of insanity and negativity is doing the same thing over and over again hoping rather than being positive for a different outcome. 😂 

FTH. deluded world beaters as usual.

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Folk are saying, "why the change in formation?"

Hibs brought Boyle on and Neilson rightly was worried about him, whatever the banter is. Robbie wanted Cochrane to be able to range forward while still having plenty of cover on the left side of the defence.

For the most part it worked and Cochrane and Rowles utterly contained him. Hibs generated very little threat until the last minute when Rowles and Sibbick got wires crossed and he slipped through.

For the most part it worked 😂😂😂😂

Aye okay mate. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

For sure. Folk have different opinions and if we held out nothing would have been said but if we had some pace up top at the end we might not have been defending like we were and lost that goal 

Even more sickening and compounded by the fact that they are absolutely shite 

I think I would’ve still been a bit annoyed that we didn’t give them the doing they deserved, as we have in the last four games against them. 
Im struggling to remember the last Hibs team that was worse than this one and Neilson has failed to capitalise on that again. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I think I would’ve still been a bit annoyed that we didn’t give them the doing they deserved, as we have in the last four games against them. 
Im struggling to remember the last Hibs team that was worse than this one and Neilson has failed to capitalise on that again. 

Nah it worked changing to a back 5 worked. 

Horatio Caine

We need to develop a killer instinct.  Much as I hate the OF, neither of them would have let Hibs back in to the game the way we did.  If we aspire to challenge them, that's the mentality we have to adopt.  And that's from the top right down.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Horatio Caine said:

We need to develop a killer instinct.  Much as I hate the OF, neither of them would have let Hibs back in to the game the way we did.  If we aspire to challenge them, that's the mentality we have to adopt.  And that's from the top right down.

Exactly 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wasn’t Neilsons fault that we missed 3 excellent chances at the start of the second half . This players that missed those chances are to blame 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Nah it worked changing to a back 5 worked. 

I don’t know how many times he’s tried it down there but it hasn’t worked yet. 

1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

They would have scored the chances that we missed at the start of the second half

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

😂😂😂

You obviously have never played the game. I suppose my tactics  say to you :

That’s Just Not Cricket Old Man.

Just as annoyed that Boyles scored as anything. They get to pretend he is a massiah and all is Rosey. I doubt the Spfl are sat waiting on registration paperwork at 11 pm for everyone.

Haring and Cochrane on the whole showed how to deal with him and the cross should never of happened for him to score.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Wasn’t Neilsons fault that we missed 3 excellent chances at the start of the second half . This players that missed those chances are to blame 

Maybe because they clearly haven’t worked on McKays finishing, it’s awful to be honest. It’s Neilsons fault that he changed the formation that was creating chances and stopping them because Boyle came on and him being naturally negative. But I’m sure you cheered when your staunch pal Halliday came on though. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Watt-Zeefuik

Also it must be said Boyce was subbed in the 89th minute FFS. Halliday was as much a time wasting sub as anything.

We had to see out 6 minutes and not lose their one and only goal scoring threat on defence. We didn't do it. That's not down to Boyce getting a knock FFS.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe because they clearly haven’t worked on McKays finishing, it’s awful to be honest. It’s Neilsons fault that he changed the formation that was creating chances and stopping them because Boyle came on and him being naturally negative. 

Surely as a professional player whose job is that of attacking you take some responsibility and work on your finishing yourself? Maybe he’s just not a great finisher 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How come we made 4 subs? Have I been sleeping? How long has that been in for? I thought we were back to normal after the Covid games. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I reckon they will get found out this year. That's as shit a team that they have had and I can remember in a long time. 

Bazzas right boot

That will be hibs best result this season. 

Shame we me we got the win, but 7 unbeaten v them and on to next week. 

4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You obviously have never played the game. I suppose my tactics  say to you :

That’s Just Not Cricket Old Man.

😂😂😂😂

Let's rummage around for comfort crumbs on the floor, that will turn draws into wins for sure.

We need another 4 or 5 real quality players yet. No reason to believe we will be any better than last season at this point.

Central Belt 1874
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

This is a cop out and not the mindset that a club like Hearts should be adopting.

Neilson puts the squad together. We have 1 quality striker.

Boyce couldn't last 90 minutes without pulling up injured with cramp in the 2nd game of the season. 

It is Neilsons fault. Either tactically with his substitutions or the fact he is unable to make like for like substitutions up front because he hasn't been able to sign anyone else (yet).

The squads not complete yet and because of this, we dropped two points to a very poor team.

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

How come we made 4 subs? Have I been sleeping? How long has that been in for? I thought we were back to normal after the Covid games. 

5 subs is the norm now !

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe because they clearly haven’t worked on McKays finishing, it’s awful to be honest. It’s Neilsons fault that he changed the formation that was creating chances and stopping them because Boyle came on and him being naturally negative. But I’m sure you cheered when your staunch pal Halliday came on though. 

You enjoy us dropping points  waaaaay too much. 

Let's you go to town on Bob, at least you enjoy yourself no matter the result. 

9 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Spot on. 

McAllister played under George Burley at Hearts when the Tynecastle side split the Old Firm for the first time in 15 years.

The Hibs assistant admits the former Scotland boss changed everybody's mentality at the club.

He added: “In George Burley’s first meeting with the players he asked us all to write down what position we thought we would finish in the league that year and the majority of the lads put third or fourth and George just pointed to the top two spots and said: ‘What about them? Why can’t we finish there?’

So, he switched the mentality in that very first meeting and drove that point home every day and that is something I have always taken with me wherever I have been.

“And, not only did we finish second we also went on to win the cup. But we had that mentality and then the confidence and belief grew from winning games.”

Hibs assistant on Hearts under Burley, you can't fear teams, why do I back stendel? because he fears no team. 

The manager who, across ten league games, developed one of the most captivating sides to pull on a maroon jersey in recent memory.

It was a team which engaged and enchanted supporters because it was a team which was built to play the way Hearts fans want. Fast, direct, aggressive and combative. That, if anything, should be the club’s on field identity.

“We played good football at Hearts and that was because of George,” Czech striker Michael Pospisil said.

We played an aggressive game that was all about attacking and putting balls into the box. You can see from the results we had how well it worked.”

That's the difference a manager that believes his team can win, and doesn't fear the opposition. 

Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Is it? Haha. Totally missed that. 

Yeah got changed in the summer again. The premier league has it as well now as they never had it last season 

35 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

This. Folk clearly absolutely choking to throw a fit at the manager causing a massive overreaction to a tactical change which, yes, with hindsight didnt work in our favour.

Tbf, a lot of us called it at the time with no hindsight. It was obvious what was going to happen.

Saying the manager got it wrong and cost us a win isn't necessarily throwing a fit, it's just calling it as they saw it. Some are OTT of course.

The flip side is there are loads desperate to blame anyone and anything but the manager...probably including the manager which let's be honest is a big part of what gets people's back's up.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He's an another one get him to Feck, why he was given a two year deal, he's pish. 

On a par with Joe Newell he is. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Spot on. 

McAllister played under George Burley at Hearts when the Tynecastle side split the Old Firm for the first time in 15 years.

The Hibs assistant admits the former Scotland boss changed everybody's mentality at the club.

He added: “In George Burley’s first meeting with the players he asked us all to write down what position we thought we would finish in the league that year and the majority of the lads put third or fourth and George just pointed to the top two spots and said: ‘What about them? Why can’t we finish there?’

So, he switched the mentality in that very first meeting and drove that point home every day and that is something I have always taken with me wherever I have been.

“And, not only did we finish second we also went on to win the cup. But we had that mentality and then the confidence and belief grew from winning games.”

Hibs assistant on Hearts under Burley, you can't fear teams, why do I back stendel? because he fears no team. 

The manager who, across ten league games, developed one of the most captivating sides to pull on a maroon jersey in recent memory.

It was a team which engaged and enchanted supporters because it was a team which was built to play the way Hearts fans want. Fast, direct, aggressive and combative. That, if anything, should be the club’s on field identity.

“We played good football at Hearts and that was because of George,” Czech striker Michael Pospisil said.

We played an aggressive game that was all about attacking and putting balls into the box. You can see from the results we had how well it worked.”

That's the difference a manager that believes his team can win, and doesn't fear the opposition. 

George Burley had a budget that nearly killed the club. Still don’t let stop you having a go at RN. 

buzzbomb1958

This game should have been done and dusted 10 minutes into the second half , the only ones to blame are McKay and Atkinson one had a chance for 2 and other 1 absolutely horrible finishing professional players should be scoring these chances end of 

JamboAndrew

Regardless of the formation and substitutions, we had ample chances to win it. It feels like a defeat, but it just wasn't our day. On to the next one.

ArcticJambo
40 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I thought Boyce did well. Especially holding the ball up. I know everyone sees things differently but it was when he went off we started having issues.

He helps us link and get the midfield into advanced positions, and when he went off it isolated shankland almost immediately.... We do need another striker. That has to be the priority before the window shuts. Especially with the amount of games to come. 

Agree with this. Boycedid the dirty work well.

Football is always about how you keep imposing yourself on a game. 

Even if we take one of those early second half chances, the game isn’t over.  

Hearts need to develop much more solidity and positivity when in front. 

Learn to deal with the pressure of holding the lead on a big game by actually still trying to dominate. 

Edited by Debut 4

We got the job done last year without really getting out of second gear and we only started playing really well when Simms came in. We need to replace him somehow with someone else who can hold the ball up and drag defences around.

I don't think Sibbick or Atkinson would get a game for many other premier League teams because they are a defensive nightmare and it's a total lottery what they will do with the ball when they have it 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

George Burley had a budget that nearly killed the club. Still don’t let stop you having a go at RN. 

Robbie has had a bigger budget than stendel yet still can't manage a win down at the San Giro? 

And he's had 3 years two Cup finals, and one of them was on the back of Stendels Cup run, that he benefited from 😂

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Robbie has had a bigger budget than stendel yet still can't manage a win down at the San Giro? 

And he's had 3 years two Cup finals, and one of them was on the back of Stendels Cup run, that he benefitted from 😂

Ffs and now we are back to Stendel 😂

If RN apologises for whoever he shagged in your family will you just let it go ? 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Ffs and now we are back to Stendel 😂

If RN apologises for whoever he shagged in your family will you just let it go ? 

That's quite personal really no need 😂

Robbie is certainly taking Ann and Hearts for a ride. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Best not even replying to him. He is so stupid it comes across as trolling. He has no concept of club budgets or player wages.