***Official Heart of Midlothian v H1b5 Match Day Thread***

Wee Mikey

Just now, frankblack said:

That would be the fan-appointed custodians?  What exactly do you expect from a team that were in the championship two seasons ago?

3rd place by a distance, a cup final, and much improved away form were surely clear signs of progress.  The reality is that we can't forecast much more than that as the top two have 10 times our turnover and far superior squads right through every level.

What I expect is having a go against our traditional rivals and not going into a shell to play the game out 

I'm probably old fashioned though. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Credit yes . But I really hated watching the last half hour of the last semi.

It had all the hallmarks of 2016.

Thankfully it didn't happen again that day.

Today it did.

You made a big thing about not winning at ER. Despite that we finish 3rd by a mile. At Hampden, not winning puts Hibs in 2 Cup Finals. Not happening.

Rarely been prouder if any team under any manager after last years semi final. Absolutely hacked to **** but remained composed enough with enough steel to see it out. 

Edited by Riccarton3

Too many players were struggling towards the end. We are not anywhere fit enough for two games a weeks and not enough strength in depth. 

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Today it did.

No team can expect to go away from home in a derby and expect an easy ride or not expect to ride out some squeaky bum moments, but we seem to have a habit of sitting back and inviting pressure at Fester in the latter stages. 

We got away with a goal line clearance in the 0-0 there last season with the last kick of the ball, pretty much.  Maybe most teams have that habit when they are in front?, it just seems more highlighted in derbies.  

Sat deeper and deeper,  although we looked comfortable, and it bit us on the arse. 5 minutes injury time was excessive but you have to see it out. Overall I was pleased with us today. Feels like a defeat tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Today it did.

I hated watching the last 10 minutes of the 98 cup final at Parkhead, but you know what I sure as hell celebrated the final whistle.

Sometimes you have to hang on and get over the line.  Didn't happen today, but there were a number of positives.

What I expect is having a go against our traditional rivals and not going into a shell to play the game out 

I'm probably old fashioned though. 

You mean push up and leave space for Boyle to kill us for pace?

ArcticJambo
2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

He did play well. Like u said he was strong on the ball. I think he will develop a good understanding with Forrest, McKay and boycey once he gets a few games under his belt. 

Yes, pleasantly encouraged with his link play and physicality now that I've seen him in a couple of league games.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Drive him out hahaha even he admitted it didn’t affect his decision one bit, why come back if it did? 
Two hours so it’s ok? I’m still raging about any time we didn’t beat these ***** in my lifetime, but that’s my issue, good on you. 

I remember only two wins in the seventies against that mob so trust me I never get tired of winning against them but it's happened now so move on and you'll feel a lot better. 

Captain Sausage

Frustrating to lose two points against a pretty poor Hibs team. 

We had enough chances to win that game a few times over, but the change of formation did us no favours (easy to say in hindsight!)

But I said before the game a right away win or a 1-1 draw - these are always going to be tight games. We will play worse and win a few times this season. 

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

No team can expect to go away from home in a derby and expect an easy ride or not expect to ride out some squeaky bum moments, but we seem to have a habit of sitting back and inviting pressure at Fester in the latter stages. 

We got away with a goal line clearance in the 0-0 there last season with the last kick of the ball, pretty much.  Maybe most teams have that habit when they are in front?, it just seems more highlighted in derbies.  

Maybe, in most derbies you expect chances at both ends 

What you don't expect is the notionally better team to decide to defend for 30 minutes. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody can question his top flight record, the way he achieves it can be questioned though, especially on such a disappointing day as today. 

I was responding to a post in which you dismissed his win percentage as due to his seasons in the Championship. So stick the "nobody can question" bit away when you effectively just questioned it.

Robbie's Hearts teams win more games, score more goals, finish higher in the table, and progress further in the cups than the vast majority of Hearts teams in history. If he's doing that, I frankly think it's a bit churlish to get precious about how he does it.

Today is moderately disappointing only because we were the better side but that happens in derbies. I think Robbie deserves some criticism for a handful of decisions but we were beat today by missed chances and a moment of magic from Hibs' best player of the last decade.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I hated watching the last 10 minutes of the 98 cup final at Parkhead, but you know what I sure as hell celebrated the final whistle.

Sometimes you have to hang on and get over the line.  Didn't happen today, but there were a number of positives.

So now Hibs 2022 are the same as the Rangers team  of 1998?

3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Too many players were struggling towards the end. We are not anywhere fit enough for two games a weeks and not enough strength in depth. 

Agree with this. Need almost a half dozen reinforcements or there is no sense of what is required this season re demands on the squad. Else the club is accepting  of the money that comes with Europe and are willing to see it through with a clearly limited squad numbers wise.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Neilson really doesn't do himself any favours in after match interviews :facepalm:

What did he say lol?

Maybe, in most derbies you expect chances at both ends 

What you don't expect is the notionally better team to decide to defend for 30 minutes. 

Agree

You mean push up and leave space for Boyle to kill us for pace?

Does our entire gameplan have to revolve round nullifying Boyle?

Either way it wasn’t exactly successful  

Having spent the afternoon mulling over the game I came to the conclusion that we had the game by the scruff of the neck and the Vermin on the back foot. A few changes and we the balance tilted in there favour. We went from being in control to back peddling and defending instead of keeping our food on their throat. 
Despite their blatant attempts both on the park and of it to intimidate us we still had the edge over them. Substitutions made and the balance tipped in their way. 
why is the question and imo we went defensive with the subs probably due to Boil (Boyle) coming on. Robbie shit it and hoped we make the final whistle but it was never going to happen. We should have brought on a forward which would keep them pinned down at the back but no. 
Hibs are a poor team and frankly they should have been dead and buried earlier on if we had taken the chances. 
Their relief at stealing a draw was palpable as was my dismay at losing two points which should have been in the bag. 
Going forward if we play like we did for the majority of the game against other teams eg Aberdeen and Dundee Utd we should win but lessons must be learned. Take your chance and make subs that maintain the momentum. Oh and for goodness sake sort out the dead ball work it hasn’t improved since last season. 

Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

So now Hibs 2022 are the same as the Rangers team  of 1998?

No, I was comparing cup games where it was backs to the wall.

You seem to have difficulty accepting other teams will impact games.  Also, your expectations for Hearts are way above the reality, which is we are marginally better than the rest but miles behind the top two.

You better get used to us not winning or losing some games because its been that way since I started watching us in the 80s and won't change any time soon.  If that is too difficult for you I suggest following something that doesn't stress you out like bowls.

Too much fear in the game now. Peoples first thoughts are how we stop others.  Stopping others can be how you look to dominate, keep a higher line and be braver in possession.  

We should work at that. 

colinmorewasgash

Australia international Boyle completed a stunning return to Easter Road yesterday after a deal was struck with Al-Faisaly, just six months after his £3million move to Saudi Arabia. Boyle admitted it was a "whirlwind" 24 hours after he was named on the bench to face Hearts. The 29-year-old winger was only given the green-light after a late phone call last night. So we are told offices shut at weekend for registering paperwork wait till monday. I know hes scottish player but hes come from saudi how was he cleared to play when yesterday they stated they were working on details and it was difficult to do as its from Saudi Arabia his contract the transfer for clearance. Then suddenly he plays after phone call from who. I'd love to see the paperwork if I was in charge off us something feels a bit suss to me. Neilson defo crapped it when he came on.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Well then you keep defining a hearts managers tenure solely by wins at that dump, 36 other games a season at the very least but that’s all that matters. Maybe we should just bring Levein back ae? He had a cracking record down there. Pissed a shit ton of resources up the wall signing utter huddies & eventually put us into such a tailspin even the father of the Gorgie Gegenpress couldn’t save us but at least we won away to hibs lots ae?

You’ve missed the point spectacularly, going down there is akin to going to any away game outside Glasgow. You impose yourself on the game, show utter disdain for these lesser teams and win. Not shit the bed because a half fit speedster is coming on. 
Levein barely won down there either and certainly didn’t go for it much. Nobody can judge Stendel really in three months in the job with the problems we had, but he showed the way of playing them down there on that big pitch.

14 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Grant should have had the full 90. 

He drags us up the park whereas with Haring and Devlin pairing we sit to deep. 

Agree , I’m not sure if it was tiredness but we missed him went he went of 

Sometimes you have to do that to see out a game.  Our defenders only had to see out another 30 seconds but ballsed it up.  That is down to the players.

Watt-Zeefuik
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Drive him out hahaha even he admitted it didn’t affect his decision one bit, why come back if it did? 
Two hours so it’s ok? I’m still raging about any time we didn’t beat these ***** in my lifetime, but that’s my issue, good on you. 

Sorry to spam your replies, but in our greatest run ever against them, the 22 unbeaten in a row at the height of Robbo's reign of terror against them, we drew 9 times. We've taken full league points off of Hibs exactly once in my lifetime.

I'm disappointed but life's too short to rage at something that happens that often even when we're doing well.

4 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Having spent the afternoon mulling over the game I came to the conclusion that we had the game by the scruff of the neck and the Vermin on the back foot. A few changes and we the balance tilted in there favour. We went from being in control to back peddling and defending instead of keeping our food on their throat. 
Despite their blatant attempts both on the park and of it to intimidate us we still had the edge over them. Substitutions made and the balance tipped in their way. 
why is the question and imo we went defensive with the subs probably due to Boil (Boyle) coming on. Robbie shit it and hoped we make the final whistle but it was never going to happen. We should have brought on a forward which would keep them pinned down at the back but no. 
Hibs are a poor team and frankly they should have been dead and buried earlier on if we had taken the chances. 
Their relief at stealing a draw was palpable as was my dismay at losing two points which should have been in the bag. 
Going forward if we play like we did for the majority of the game against other teams eg Aberdeen and Dundee Utd we should win but lessons must be learned. Take your chance and make subs that maintain the momentum. Oh and for goodness sake sort out the dead ball work it hasn’t improved since last season. 

Agree.  Stuck out a mile he got worried when Boyle came on. So we took off players who were good in possession and had Hibs worried. 🤷🏼‍♂️

As you say, if one or two were fecked, why not replace one with Ginnelly who’d have ran off the shoulder and kept them worried?

Edited by Debut 4

Just now, frankblack said:

No, I was comparing cup games where it was backs to the wall.

You seem to have difficulty accepting other teams will impact games.  Also, your expectations for Hearts are way above the reality, which is we are marginally better than the rest but miles behind the top two.

You better get used to us not winning or losing some games because its been that way since I started watching us in the 80s and won't change any time soon.  If that is too difficult for you I suggest following something that doesn't stress you out like bowls.

I have no difficulty accepting other teams will impact games  

I do struggle with the idea we should accept not beating inferior teams.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I remember only two wins in the seventies against that mob so trust me I never get tired of winning against them but it's happened now so move on and you'll feel a lot better. 

So do I but the 70s were an anomaly really in these games. I’m still

hoping for an 8 nil. You’re obviously right about moving in though, someday maybe 🤔🤪😜

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

Yes . We were the better team and should have won . Really that simple 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Definitely, why though?

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sometimes you have to do that to see out a game.  Our defenders only had to see out another 30 seconds but ballsed it up.  That is down to the players.

And do you think that's what we had to do, as opposed to chose to?

We knew what they were going to do, he’s literally their only threat as shown today. We had to try shut him down somehow & for a good while it worked,  he was having little to no influence, but then moving into injury time they turned the pressure up & the defence caved in with 30 seconds to go.

jack D and coke

He does seem to invite it with hibs I’ll say that. You have to say the players should’ve scored again but there’s that creeping feeling with Robbie that he sinks into his shell in the latter parts of games and we sort of ask for it. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Sorry to spam your replies, but in our greatest run ever against them, the 22 unbeaten in a row at the height of Robbo's reign of terror against them, we drew 9 times. We've taken full league points off of Hibs exactly once in my lifetime.

I'm disappointed but life's too short to rage at something that happens that often even when we're doing well.

Indeed but I can’t remember any of them being games we drew where we should’ve won. Drawing like this is why we haven’t had a clean sweep more often. 
They’ve not beaten us down there in 6 games, and not since 2019, it’s still

frustrating though when it could’ve been a really memorable victory. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’ve missed the point spectacularly, going down there is akin to going to any away game outside Glasgow. You impose yourself on the game, show utter disdain for these lesser teams and win. Not shit the bed because a half fit speedster is coming on. 
Levein barely won down there either and certainly didn’t go for it much. Nobody can judge Stendel really in three months in the job with the problems we had, but he showed the way of playing them down there on that big pitch.

Pity Stendel couldn't get enough points elsewhere including St Mirren when it mattered.

Neilson's record in the league is as good as any Hearts manager in my lifetime.  Stendel's wasn't - it was shocking.  Its laughable to even compare it. :rofl:

We were in the ascendancy when Robbie made the substitutions! Fair enough if players are goosed but make them with a positive attitude. There is no getting away from the fact these were tactical substitutions and that is down to the manager and his advisers.

5 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

You have a complete overestimation of how good we are.  The team is at least 3 decent players away from being in that position, and that isn't down to Neilson.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I was responding to a post in which you dismissed his win percentage as due to his seasons in the Championship. So stick the "nobody can question" bit away when you effectively just questioned it.

Robbie's Hearts teams win more games, score more goals, finish higher in the table, and progress further in the cups than the vast majority of Hearts teams in history. If he's doing that, I frankly think it's a bit churlish to get precious about how he does it.

Today is moderately disappointing only because we were the better side but that happens in derbies. I think Robbie deserves some criticism for a handful of decisions but we were beat today by missed chances and a moment of magic from Hibs' best player of the last decade.

I said in the top flight, winning in the championship means little, he did it with Utd. 
It doesn’t happen in our derby though, I can barely think of another time they’ve done that to us. 

1 minute ago, Imaman said:

We were in the ascendancy when Robbie made the substitutions! Fair enough if players are goosed but make them with a positive attitude. There is no getting away from the fact these were tactical substitutions and that is down to the manager and his advisers.

Boyce looked like he was carrying a knock when he came off.

The fact is that we still don't have a strong enough bench to replace like for like.  I don't think the likes of Gino or GMS will change a game.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed but I can’t remember any of them being games we drew where we should’ve won. Drawing like this is why we haven’t had a clean sweep more often. 
They’ve not beaten us down there in 6 games, and not since 2019, it’s still

frustrating though when it could’ve been a really memorable victory. 

Exactly. 

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You have a complete overestimation of how good we are.  The team is at least 3 decent players away from being in that position, and that isn't down to Neilson.

You think Hibs are superior?

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Pity Stendel couldn't get enough points elsewhere including St Mirren when it mattered.

Neilson's record in the league is as good as any Hearts manager in my lifetime.  Stendel's wasn't - it was shocking.  Its laughable to even compare it. :rofl:

He was there for three months with a hopeless squad of losers, not sure anyone could’ve done much better. Anyone with any football knowledge could see the unfit team tire game by game with 4 in ten days resulting in the awful St Mirren game. All ifs and buts really, Neilson certainly has a great record at this level. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He was there for three months with a hopeless squad of losers, not sure anyone could’ve done much better. Anyone with any football knowledge could see the unfit team tire game by game with 4 in ten days resulting in the awful St Mirren game. All ifs and buts really, Neilson certainly has a great record at this level. 

An astute manager would have played to get us clear of bottom - no flair just seal up the defensive issues.  Stendel went for attack, leaving the back door wide open.

4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

You think Hibs are superior?

No, I have clearly stated that there isn't much difference between us and Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hibs etc.  Until we get those signings in I will stand by that.

Fort Vallance

If it wasn't bad enough chucking the game in injury time, watching Atkinson laughing and joking with Boyle at the end added insult to injury. Either sort yourself out son or GTF.

Put today in perspective.   Last season our strongest  line up IMHO would have included Kingsley,  Souttar,  Baningime,and Simms.    None of them played today for different  reasons.  Of course it was frustrating but let this changed side settle.

Just now, Fort Vallance said:

If it wasn't bad enough chucking the game in injury time, watching Atkinson laughing and joking with Boyle at the end added insult to injury. Either sort yourself out son or GTF.

:cornette_dog:

Two international team mates that know each other decided to speak after the final whistle.  How shocking.

Get a grip, mate.

lost in space
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Of course being 3 players down is partly down to Neilson. He says what he wants and finally decides if we sign each player.

Are you saying it is all down to Savage not finding the players?

Pasquale for King

An astute manager would have played to get us clear of bottom - no flair just seal up the defensive issues.  Stendel went for attack, leaving the back door wide open.

Levein tried that, we didn’t have the players to play any kind of system or style.