***Official Heart of Midlothian v H1b5 Match Day Thread***

Wee Mikey

Holyrood_Hearts
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The worst thing is that spell at the start of the second half. If we had scored just one of the three chances we had the sub discussion would be moot.

Agreed. 

On the formation change, it was working & keeping Hibs at bay, all CG has had to do was catching practice. Individual errors cost us the goal. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

Just now, jimbojambo said:

When it works its called game management but when it does not it becomes negative. They got a boost at the amount of stoppage time and threw everything at us and got lucky. It's hard to take but that's football. 

This. Folk clearly absolutely choking to throw a fit at the manager causing a massive overreaction to a tactical change which, yes, with hindsight didnt work in our favour.

4 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Good to see Atkinson managing to have a good laugh and joke with Boyle at the end. Really captured the Derby spirit. 

Atkinson is honking 

Holyrood_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

If it was me. 

Boyce off Henderson on

Smith off Devlin on

Grant off Ginnelly on. 

All out attack last 25 minutes. 

Majority of the players seriously let us down today. 

Ah well we never got beat. That’s the main thing. 

All out attack 😂😂😂 

This is why your not with all due respect 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Do you think Hibs goal was deserved? and what do you think could of avoided it. 

Nor deserved but on the cards the way we sat back. We should have been keeping possession

Well you could argue he got Barnsley promoted in a league that's better than the Scottish championship. 

How did Robbie do with a full season in league 1?

Please don't take this of topic if you want to talk about it happy to pm u? 

Cos you don't have an answer to what issues he and Neilson had in common? You said it. Or it was something which didn't make sense. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Boyce hasn’t got any gas to start with, apart from one cross to Atkinson I’m struggling to think of what he did in the game. He and Shankland aren’t quick and I don’t think they linked well at all. A bit similar really. 
We need to work on crossing and finishing, have done for years and didn’t win a header from a corner the whole game. 
I think we have the right pieces but they need to be assembled properly and coached better. 

I thought Boyce did well. Especially holding the ball up. I know everyone sees things differently but it was when he went off we started having issues.

He helps us link and get the midfield into advanced positions, and when he went off it isolated shankland almost immediately.... We do need another striker. That has to be the priority before the window shuts. Especially with the amount of games to come. 

JudyJudyJudy

Usual arseholes on my FB " celebrating " a draw.  Seriously pathetic people really.  Completely deluded too. 

We need to work at stopping crosses at source. Far too many get into the box where sometimes it is a lottery who they fall to. I would like to see some stats on this compared to other teams and our own crosses.

9 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Yes no need to change defence. The sub we were crying out for was Ginelly for Shankland. They would have been more hesitant to push forward. Same mistake he made in the SC game in 2016 when leaving Sow benched.

Ginnelly for Boyce you mean.

BackOfTheNet

Thing is, the tactical decision to go to a back three was the correct once. The incorrect decision was taking Grant off for Devlin. It should’ve been Boyce. Now, Boyce played well, but he was knackered. And we went from having numbers in midfield to link to suddenly relying on McKay and Boyce only to link play. Both tiring and McKay targeted as always, we effectively relied on Boyce. This also meant we had too much of a gap between the forward line and midfield, who were sitting too deep.

Now, if we took Boyce off and left Grant on - a natural midfielder - we would’ve had a natural link between Devlin/Haring and Shankland. Grant hadn’t played his best game, but was playing better in the 2nd than he was in the 1st. The decision to keep both Boyce and Shankland on when going to a back 5 just allowed Hibs to keep possession and keep coming back at us. You can look at the goal and individual errors that lead to it, but we didn’t control the game as well gave them ball back to them time and time again.

Even then, the tactical decision wouldn’t have been required had McKay not wasted two opportunities or if the ball was better for Shankland’s sliding shot.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Do you think Hibs goal was deserved? and what do you think could of avoided it. 

I don’t think it was particularly deserved no. I think several things could have avoided it.

1) Don’t switch off with 30 seconds to go.

2) if the balls coming into a dangerous channel & you can’t get there, just take the foul against you & defend the set piece.

3) Don’t get dragged out of position chasing shadows.

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Cos you don't have an answer to what issues he and Neilson had in common? You said it. Or it was something which didn't make sense. 

Can you pm me please and we can discuss it, this is a Hibs vs Hearts thread strictly for the game thread, I don't want to be pulled up by mods. 

When Hibs were leaving space at the back in the last 20, we needed to bring on some pace.  Agreed we should have been out if sight by then, but weren't.  Neilson took the plaudits last season, but was culpable, tactically today.  Hopefully a forward with pace and a genuine box to box midfielder are top if JS list.

1 nil lead is not so easy to manage 

Do you either go attacking with the change of leaving spaces or sit in and hit on the break. 

Just now, Arthur Morgan said:

This. I don't rate him at all.

He has this terrible habit of coming inside 30m from our goal and has the touch of an elephant on roller skates.

You know you sit there and watch the game and think why doesn’t Neilson see that, why can’t he respond to Johnson’s tactical changes. Not only to counter Hibs but to take advantage of their changes. I mean Neilson will never have the Hearts fans confidence in his management and in time the players will be questioning the decisions he makes during a game. I mean bringing on a player that is as slow and lazy as Harding was criminal.  With the subs he had on the bench I recon Halliday is more of a favourite with Neilson and he’s trying to justify giving the guy a new 2 year contract. 

Edited by mitch41

David McCaig

One of our most dominant displays at Easter Road in years, it could easily have been 5 or 6 but wasteful finishing always invites the sucker punch and you just knew what was coming.

In terms of positives Cochrane was absolutely outstanding as was McKay (bar finishing).

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

You know you sit there a watch the game and think why doesn’t Neilson see that, why can’t he respond to Johnson’s tactical changes. Not only to counter Hibs but to take advantage of their changes. I mean Neilson will never have the Hearts fans confidence in his management and in time the players will be questioning the decisions he makes during a game. I mean bringing on a player that is as slow and lazy as Harding was criminal.  With the subs he had on the bench I recon Halliday is more of a favourite with Neilson and he’s trying to justify giving the guy a new 2 year contract. 

He’s got my full confidence as well as many others, you don’t speak for the whole support & never have, you speak for a noisy section of the support who have never been behind him since day 1

It's all a bit raw just now but that's keeps the unbeaten run going and it reinforces the need for a few players to come in. Also looks like a lot more competitive league this season so 4 from 6 points isn't a disaster. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I thought Boyce did well. Especially holding the ball up. I know everyone sees things differently but it was when he went off we started having issues.

He helps us link and get the midfield into advanced positions, and when he went off it isolated shankland almost immediately.... We do need another striker. That has to be the priority before the window shuts. Especially with the amount of games to come. 

Yeah definitely, he just doesn’t to create much or look like scoring, I think he should’ve been replaced by Ginnelly to give Shankland some help or even push Mckay central. The subs were awful

and cost us two points. 

michael_bolton

Very sore one given that it was more or less self-inflicted.

There was no reason to change the shape or really disrupt our team in any way. I feel that some coaches these days see the number of changes available to them as a target and a way to look clever. But when you're winning the game and are in control to the extent we were, just leave things alone.

That said, overall I feel roughly the same as after the first derby last season. Disappointed not to win, but confident we'll finish well ahead of them

Gorgierools
3 minutes ago, keifrb said:

When Hibs were leaving space at the back in the last 20, we needed to bring on some pace.  Agreed we should have been out if sight by then, but weren't.  Neilson took the plaudits last season, but was culpable, tactically today.  Hopefully a forward with pace and a genuine box to box midfielder are top if JS list.

And a RCB please.

11 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

3 main problems.

Not taking chances

Making too many subs when they are not actually needed and are quite frankly just disruptive. The same last week v RC and in my view was a factor in us losing the goal.
Making a change of formation when the previous one was working just fine.

Last 2 are down to Robbie. He tries to be too clever too often. I hope someone is making this point to him. These are the results that will cost us dearly this season. We need to keep clean sheets too. Both matches so far should have been, but we’rent unfortunately. 

I agree with this. 

I am utterly shocked he changed formation to start the game and even out the team out we all wanted. And it was working to fair play to Robbie. However, he just couldn’t wait to change it it would appear. We are not the team looking upwards and getting closer to the OF Robbie thinks we are if we are constantly going to change what we do to counteract inferior opposition. 

There were plenty of positives today but overall we were pretty poor in possession again. We didn’t retain the ball as well as I hoped and until that improved we wont make the next step forward. 

Chillidigits

No matter how bad we may feel at conceding an equalizer we'll never feel as bad as they felt after the 4-4 NEVER !

I don’t know when Neilson and the players are going to learn but everytime we go down there we get dragged down to their level. Even Gordon was guilty of hoofing the ball when their was a simple pass available to him. Rowles who I thought was excellent at his defensive duties had so many opportunities to bring the ball down and pass through midfield but stuck the ball in the air. Every time we did get it down and play we ripped them and they shat the bed. That Rocky is awful and Porteous only knows one way to play. We didn’t even have to use the wings anything played through them they backed off or over committed at no point did they look like they knew what to do. 

We hugely miss Beni and the composure he brings and Kingsley is vital to the back line and set peices.

I’m not even getting into our corners, ffs after the first few get Grant off them!

SectionDJambo

We weren't stopping the crosses enough for the whole game. There were at least a couple of other times they got a cross in along our 6 yard box. If you let that happen too often, you run the risk of your opponents getting lucky once.

We need to be better at stopping those kind of balls coming into our goal area. 

That said, we don't seem to have killer instinct as a team. We had to get at least a second goal from our second half chances but wasted them all.

Jambo na hÉireann

I do get the calls from some of you to view it objectively, but I think part of the disappointment is that we have started this season looking like a formidable team with third place in our sights, and then we go and drop two points to a prime relegation candidate. Forgetting it’s Hibs for a minute - we need to be hoovering up ALL the non OF points we can

Aussie Jambo
3 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

All out attack 😂😂😂 

This is why your not with all due respect 

Respect accepted. 😂

Im an armchair manager at best. Well... not even that good. 

But will say.. fellow Aussie Natty was shite. He’s really slipped in form. He’s actually got worse. Not sure if it’s nerves but. He tends to play bad in big games. Be assured fellow Jambos. I’ll claim that Boyle prick if I ever bump into him over here.  He knows he’s a target now. Good night fellow Jambos. Pished & adrenaline still pumping. 

9 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Top quote. We were in control of the game and never looked like conceding, but one momentary lapse in concentration and they equalise. That's football I'm afraid. I would have taken a draw before the match so we dust ourselves down and go again and hopefully get rid of all this negativity.

This!! It's clear we are miles ahead of that lot! This is OUR season, just raise the fekn rooftops & get behind the team! 

2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

1 nil lead is not so easy to manage 

Do you either go attacking with the change of leaving spaces or sit in and hit on the break. 

One nil up you don’t sit back and invite the opposition to dominate and make chances, and you don’t go all out to score, you play your normal game it’s that easy. You don’t bottle it and you don’t become reckless. It simple.

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can you pm me please and we can discuss it, this is a Hibs vs Hearts thread strictly for the game thread, I don't want to be pulled up by mods. 

Easier just to admit you are talking rubbish? No shame in that and turning  into something it's not. And that's the end of it. Don't  reply and we are back on topic 

Neilson = possesses zero killer instinct to pass on to his teams - he's a comfy coach with comfy targets in a comfy position. It's just all too predictable with RN but he is the right cup of tea for the comfier fan.

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Easier just to admit you are talking rubbish? No shame in that and turning  into something it's not. And that's the end of it. Don't  reply and we are back on topic 

No because i disagree 🤔

2 minutes ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

I do get the calls from some of you to view it objectively, but I think part of the disappointment is that we have started this season looking like a formidable team with third place in our sights, and then we go and drop two points to a prime relegation candidate. Forgetting it’s Hibs for a minute - we need to be hoovering up ALL the non OF points we can

Agree wholeheartedly 

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

One nil up you don’t sit back and invite the opposition to dominate and make chances, and you don’t go all out to score, you play your normal game it’s that easy. You don’t bottle it and you don’t become reckless. It simple.

Yes that’s true but as the match gets closer to 90 it’s only natural to drop back  

brunoatemyhamster
55 minutes ago, campbell said:

If you think this is a good comparison then just give up! Rangers & Celtic can do that cause they 10 times the budget & dominate the league, if you think we are even remotely close to that you’re delusional, we don’t even have the 3rd highest wage structure in the league 

I reckon with that squad we've got, and that mindset, then we'd be good enough to blow the rest of the league away. 

I dont think we can win the league,but scoosh third every year? 

Should be easily doable. 

Won't happen when we set out to defend 1 0 leads in games we are dominating though. And it's not a first either. 

It's a mentality thing. Rangers and celtic NEVER let you play your game. Youre to busy dealing with theirs. 

That's the difference between wee teams like us and big teams like them. 

If we played like that today, would we have won that game? 

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

brunoatemyhamster
1 minute ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Double post

Edited by brunoatemyhamster
Double post

It's unusual for a team one nil up not to sit back in the last ten, happens all the time due to the other team pushing for an equaliser. Just didn't work out today.

18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The worst thing is that spell at the start of the second half. If we had scored just one of the three chances we had the sub discussion would be moot.

At 2-0the subs would have been understandable  but we changed a system that was working well and restricting  them to long balls the cbs were dealing with easily

Subbing off shanks would have made sense as he had run out of gas and we had lost our out ball

Pasquale for King
Just now, brunoatemyhamster said:

I reckon with that squad we've got, and that mindset, then we'd be good enough to blow the rest of the league away. 

I dont think we can win the league,but scoosh third every year? 

Should be easily doable. 

Won't happen when we set out to defend 1 0 leads in games we are dominating though. And it's not a first either. 

It's a mentality thing. Rangers and celtic NEVER let you play your game. Youre to busy dealing with theirs. 

That's the difference between wee teams like us and big teams like them. 

Exactly, the only good thing about them and their revolting fans is the winning mindset and the desire to score mor goals in every game. 

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sorry?

You know fine what I meant . Neilson shat it . Taking off forwards and putting defensive minded players on !!! So no need to be a d ck 

Watt-Zeefuik
27 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Fair enough but RN saw fit to put him on the bench.

I’d hope Ginnelly would’ve had enough professional pride to contribute. 

I'd hope so too but he's a moody player even when he's settled. To me he was emergency cover on the bench.

buzzbomb1958
8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

One of our most dominant displays at Easter Road in years, it could easily have been 5 or 6 but wasteful finishing always invites the sucker punch and you just knew what was coming.

In terms of positives Cochrane was absolutely outstanding as was McKay (bar finishing).

Kye Rowles mom think we’ve got the makings of a great player there

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
14 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Folk saying give Ginnley or GMS a  run for ten mins surely have to admit there's a good chance they wouldn't have touched the ball and been next to useless for the 10 /15 mins, like they are more often than not

They might not have but it's a braver choice. Lots of fans prefer brave. Small margins though for sure. But bringing on Gino for the last 8 or 9 minutes might make Cadden and their Croatian boy less confident about playing basically as outside forwards, it might have made Newell and Henderson at least have to turn around and look behind them before trying to drive their team forward. These things can stifle momentum big time, never mind it gives our defenders something to aim at when clearing. Might change the flow of the game, might just change the psychology of even a couple of their players. Ferguson used to talk about this kind of thing all the time - marginal gains, if you can make even a couple of the opposition think twice or feel a bit rattled, then that was a good thing. 

BangkokHearts
1 hour ago, D4nny_ said:

Hard one to take. Feels like a defeat for sure but we need to learn to take our chances. We should have been 3 or 4 up before the last half hour and their fans jumping on to the pitch to celebrate a 1-1 draw shows how far ahead we are.

Time to regroup.

Correct.

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

They might not have but it's a braver choice. Lots of fans prefer brave. Small margins though for sure. But bringing on Gino for the last 8 or 9 minutes might make Cadden and their Croatian boy less confident about playing basically as outside forwards, it might have made Newell and Henderson at least have to turn around and look behind them before trying to drive their team forward. These things can stifle momentum big time, never mind it gives our defenders something to aim at when clearing. Might change the flow of the game, might just change the psychology of even a couple of their players. Ferguson used to talk about this kind of thing all the time - marginal gains, if you can make even a couple of the opposition think twice or feel a bit rattled, then that was a good thing. 

It would would made no difference. They were  losing so they would have piled forward towards the end of the game regardless. We score early 2nd half the game is over, simple really. Players didn’t cover themselves in glory for their goal.