***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is the physicality of the opponents older players very obvious in these games?

It is for those Hearts youngsters who have little experience of playing against men or aren't developed enough to compete physically.  There is a tendency to get brushed off too easily or show a reluctance to go in hard on an opponent.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They would be helped by playing on a better pitch than that at Ferguson Park, despite it being greener and less fiery than it was at the start of the season..

While grass would be preferable, there is no guarantee that any local grass pitch would remain playable throughout the winter with two teams playing on it.  Tynecastle would be the preferred option of being capable of sustaining more use than that of a lower league side, given the maintenance it receives.

The alternative of playing on an artificial surface should be looked at. All the players have spent most of their careers to date playing on such surfaces.  The closest "licensed" grounds would be Livingston or Broxburn. Either would be preferable to Ferguson Park. 

Do you know if Hearts ground staff are working with Whitehill to help improve their pitch?
It’s certainly better just now than when I was at a game there last season. Mind you it was mid winter and literally 4 seasons in the space of 90 minutes 🤷‍♂️
I still feel Newtongrange is the better option but I was at the Tynecastle v Penicuik game last week and the set up at Meggatland is fantastic. I’m not sure how the pitch would survive 2 football teams and a rugby team though. 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

Do you know if Hearts ground staff are working with Whitehill to help improve their pitch?
It’s certainly better just now than when I was at a game there last season. Mind you it was mid winter and literally 4 seasons in the space of 90 minutes 🤷‍♂️
I still feel Newtongrange is the better option but I was at the Tynecastle v Penicuik game last week and the set up at Meggatland is fantastic. I’m not sure how the pitch would survive 2 football teams and a rugby team though. 

I believe that Hearts have a member of staff helping out at Rosewell.

Meggetland is certainly a better pitch just now (and better for spectating),  but as you say the rugby factor comes into play.  A few scrums on a wet night could soon churn it up.

Edited by Footballfirst

Perth to Paisley

1 point & 1 question

Has Donald Park been enlisted to support Naismith? Good move if true.

The term "wee Jambos" is a bugbear of mine - wish they would just call the team Hearts!

Edited by Perth to Paisley

40 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is the physicality of the opponents older players very obvious in these games?

It can be at times especially in the middle of the park 

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Jarhead said:

I thought Denholm was good today. 
I can see why you are saying that but you have to consider it is a youth team with no older heads on the pitch to guide them or help take the pressure off. 
I think the fact that they are all so young is why Naismith is so vocal. It was quite noticeable today how much quieter we were compared to the CSS players. 

I think, in terms of the team development, it would definitely be better if 2 or three over age outfield players were allowed in the team to add that experience. A cd and cm would be my choice. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

They would be helped by playing on a better pitch than that at Ferguson Park, despite it being greener and less fiery than it was at the start of the season..

While grass would be preferable, there is no guarantee that any local grass pitch would remain playable throughout the winter with two teams playing on it.  Tynecastle would be the preferred option of being capable of sustaining more use than that of a lower league side, given the maintenance it receives.

The alternative of playing on an artificial surface should be looked at. All the players have spent most of their careers to date playing on such surfaces.  The closest "licensed" grounds would be Livingston or Broxburn. Either would be preferable to Ferguson Park. 

I don't know the ground at all, but completely understand what you are saying 

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It is for those Hearts youngsters who have little experience of playing against men or aren't developed enough to compete physically.  There is a tendency to get brushed off too easily or show a reluctance to go in hard on an opponent.

Hopefully the lads toughen up quickly!!

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Jarhead said:

Stevie Thomas from prestonfield golf course I believe was asked to look after the B teams pitch.

Thought that the team grew into the game. Defensive howlers cost the two goals, however something I didn’t take into account was the wind. Standing at the top of the hill next to the lounge entrance it wasn’t overly evident but moved round to the other side of the pitch second half, could see Hearts were up against it.

i felt Hearts were guilty of overplaying at times and made it difficult against a Civil Service team regularly finishing high up in the league. I thought that there were times less touches and more confident decision making would have worked but Ferguson got his act together (after being wasteful earlier in the game) with a good finish and a lot of shades of Hartley Hampden 06 free kick to Pollock’s second goal. 

@Footballfirst I don’t suppose you happen to know of any attendance figures for today or Cowdenbeath at all? 

side note 1 the £1 programme is good value, only 4 pages, but informative and interesting read. Also a nice bonus getting an actual ticket today. I attended a few lowland league games and usually it’s just cash on the gate and at best a raffle ticket so quite nice touch 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Thought that the team grew into the game. Defensive howlers cost the two goals, however something I didn’t take into account was the wind. Standing at the top of the hill next to the lounge entrance it wasn’t overly evident but moved round to the other side of the pitch second half, could see Hearts were up against it.

i felt Hearts were guilty of overplaying at times and made it difficult against a Civil Service team regularly finishing high up in the league. I thought that there were times less touches and more confident decision making would have worked but Ferguson got his act together (after being wasteful earlier in the game) with a good finish and a lot of shades of Hartley Hampden 06 free kick to Pollock’s second goal. 

@Footballfirst I don’t suppose you happen to know of any attendance figures for today or Cowdenbeath at all? 

side note 1 the £1 programme is good value, only 4 pages, but informative and interesting read. Also a nice bonus getting an actual ticket today. I attended a few lowland league games and usually it’s just cash on the gate and at best a raffle ticket so quite nice touch 

The only figures that have been recorded are:

Hearts v Berwick 250 (estimated)

Spartans v Hearts 660

East Kilbride v Hearts 227

Hearts v Cowdenbeath 407

I'd estimate today's crowd as around 250.

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The only figures that have been recorded are:

Hearts v Berwick 250 (estimated)

Spartans v Hearts 660

East Kilbride v Hearts 227

Hearts v Cowdenbeath 407

I'd estimate today's crowd as around 250.

Excellent thank you it was definitely at least 192 today as that’s the ticket I got 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Excellent thank you it was definitely at least 192 today as that’s the ticket I got 

I must have been in before you. I got #127.

12 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Agree with your post. Just mention that we've played 5 games: W1 D2 L2.

Ahh cheers. Hadn't even realised ee'd played so many!

Footballfirst

The B Team's next game is against Buckie Thistle in the SPFL Trust Trophy (Challenge Cup) at Rosewell on Wednesday with an 8pm k.o.

Buckie will be a tough challenge, having finished 2nd to Fraserburgh in last season's Highland League and they have a 100% record after 3 games this season, including a win against Fraserburgh.

They also drew 1-1 with Ross County in the league cup.

Following the earlier discussion about suitable grounds for Hearts, I note that Hibs B is due to play Brechin City on the same night at Nitten's New Victoria Park.

bigdavemaddog
On 06/08/2022 at 22:12, BM1874 said:

how many programmes are printed for each game and do they usually sell-out?

12 hours ago, bigdavemaddog said:

how many programmes are printed for each game and do they usually sell-out?

Tbh I don’t know, think a decent amount are printed but I only bought one at the weekend as I went to the game alone and it provided half time reading

On 07/08/2022 at 18:43, Footballfirst said:

The B Team's next game is against Buckie Thistle in the SPFL Trust Trophy (Challenge Cup) at Rosewell on Wednesday with an 8pm k.o.

Buckie will be a tough challenge, having finished 2nd to Fraserburgh in last season's Highland League and they have a 100% record after 3 games this season, including a win against Fraserburgh.

Following the earlier discussion about suitable grounds for Hearts, I note that Hibs B is due to play Brechin City on the same night at Nitten's New Victoria Park.

Where we used to play our Reserve League matches when Jack Ross was the coach .  Nice park that and good for spectating.

On 07/08/2022 at 18:43, Footballfirst said:

Believe we will play a pretty strong second string for this one. 

Footballfirst
59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Believe we will play a pretty strong second string for this one. 

Yes. I don't think we are as limited by age as we are in the B team, so you could see C Smith, S McGill, L Neilson and E Henderson all playing. 

Will Buckie play their strongest team? I know some of the first teams practically play their reserves against B teams in the Challenge Cup. Probably more more likely with lower SPFL sides than Highland League.

Niemi’s gloves
11 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Will Buckie play their strongest team? I know some of the first teams practically play their reserves against B teams in the Challenge Cup. Probably more more likely with lower SPFL sides than Highland League.

I’d guess that some Buckie players will be missing for work-related reasons. There must be a limit to the tolerance of some employers and some self-employed guys maybe also be reluctant to take time off. I’d be surprised if the Challenge Cup is at the top of Buckie’s priorities

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Really poor run of form recently, what's going on? Not good to see. 

Concerning that our 2nd team can’t beat a part time team 

14 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Really poor run of form recently, what's going on? Not good to see. 

12 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Concerning that our 2nd team can’t beat a part time team 

image.png.ef1222814e50508509c7b06117ab7912.png

Rangers and Celtic lost 9 & 7 times last season respectively. There isn't any sort of right to win in this league because we're hearts. 

I think its actually a good thing we're having a rough time. It shows its not a cake walk and there is value in what we're doing. Odds are we're playing players who aren't technically very good but have bags of experience and better physicality so our youngsters need to figure out how to play well against that. 

If we were pishing the league there wouldn't be any point in it but losing they can analyse why and identify where we're falling short and what areas need to be improved. 

Also our first season doing this, so likely the coaching staff still figuring things out too. 

Niemi’s gloves

Looks like the least experienced team we have put out in the LL so far with Pollock the only player who has played at SPFL level and only 4 subs. Will struggle against one of the best teams in the league.

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Just now, frankblack said:

Is this exposing the lack of quality outside our first team best XI?

Can only comment on this game but we're being soundly beaten by part time footballers who are stronger, faster and we'll organised. All the goals are the centre halves nightmares. Their keeper....nil to do. 

Ambulance coming for keeper for head or neck injury. Interesting to see if game will be abandoned 

Hungry hippo
22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is this exposing the lack of quality outside our first team best XI?

That team is well beyond the first XI. There are prob at least 24 players ahead of them all. Finlay Pollock the only possible exception that might just break into that category 

27 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

That team is well beyond the first XI. There are prob at least 24 players ahead of them all. Finlay Pollock the only possible exception that might just break into that category 

Cheers.

I can't get to those games so going by what I read on here.

That is disappointing to read.  When you say 24 players, do you mean overage?

If we had 24 players better, shouldn't a third be in the B team if they aren't getting game time with the A?

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Cheers.

I can't get to those games so going by what I read on here.

That is disappointing to read.  When you say 24 players, do you mean overage?

If we had 24 players better, shouldn't a third be in the B team if they aren't getting game time with the A?

I meant all ages. I just meant that B team standard isn't really a sign of squad depth but more a reflection on the standard of the 18ish year old age group.

Selkirkhmfc1874
44 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Game about to start the 2nd half. Still waiting for an ambulance for LMcF.

Hope the kid not as badly injured as it sounds ! Wish him a speedy recovery 

7 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I meant all ages. I just meant that B team standard isn't really a sign of squad depth but more a reflection on the standard of the 18ish year old age group.

Cheers 👍

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Full time 4-1. Still waiting for an ambulance.

That’s pretty shite. Where is it coming from? England? 

hmfc4life1991

It's honestly ridiculous that he's still waiting. Been lying on a makeshift bed in a neck brace jn the middle of the street basically for well over an hour!! 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******