***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

I’m impressed with the comments Liam Fox makes about the B team - he sounds like he’s showing the respect we would want for someone in this role. It sounds as if he’s going to try putting old heads on young shoulders - hopefully a good percentage of them take his guidance and experience on board. 
he makes an interesting observation: “Nine times out of ten, when a player leaves this football club, their career goes downhill”.
We’ve seen this over the years that we end up being the biggest club a player plays for - hoping Gino watched the interview and decides now is not the time to put his career on the slide. Good luck Liam, hoping a few posters on here will update us through the LL season on how he’s doing with the young team.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

On 21/06/2023 at 21:32, Pasquale for King said:

He didn’t fail at St Mirren though. 

1DA9B278-F489-4D8B-A2BB-210B4FEB1A32.jpeg

1977-1978 - St Mirren

St Mirren’s first and only season in the top-flight under Ferguson saw them embark on a relegation scrap with Ayr United and Clydebank. While the Scot managed to keep the Buddies in the Premier Division for another season, finishing six points ahead of Ayr in the final relegation spot, Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren at the end of the season.

He did fail at St. Mirren though!

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, H2 said:

1977-1978 - St Mirren

St Mirren’s first and only season in the top-flight under Ferguson saw them embark on a relegation scrap with Ayr United and Clydebank. While the Scot managed to keep the Buddies in the Premier Division for another season, finishing six points ahead of Ayr in the final relegation spot, Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren at the end of the season.

So he won the Championship with them and kept them up, he must be one of their most successful managers ffs 😆

Not even top ten 🤦🏽🤪
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ranked-the-top-10-best-ever-st-mirren-managers-according-to-ppg/

53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So he won the Championship with them and kept them up, he must be one of their most successful managers ffs 😆

Not even top ten 🤦🏽🤪
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ranked-the-top-10-best-ever-st-mirren-managers-according-to-ppg/

He failed, and got sacked for it, quite simple!

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, H2 said:

He never got sacked for failing.    You should really read up on why he was sacked really.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, H2 said:

The only simple thing is your explanation of the situation, St Mirren fans have lamented the decision for over 40 years. I would personally trust their judgement on this. 

Pasquale for King
On 22/06/2023 at 18:44, Heart&soul said:

I’m impressed with the comments Liam Fox makes about the B team - he sounds like he’s showing the respect we would want for someone in this role. It sounds as if he’s going to try putting old heads on young shoulders - hopefully a good percentage of them take his guidance and experience on board. 
he makes an interesting observation: “Nine times out of ten, when a player leaves this football club, their career goes downhill”.
We’ve seen this over the years that we end up being the biggest club a player plays for - hoping Gino watched the interview and decides now is not the time to put his career on the slide. Good luck Liam, hoping a few posters on here will update us through the LL season on how he’s doing with the young team.  

Hes always said the right things without ever being able to put them into practice where it really matters, an expert in failure. 

john thomas
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hes always said the right things without ever being able to put them into practice where it really matters, an expert in failure. 

Think he is a good coach who , possibly, realises he is not a manager

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, john thomas said:

Think he is a good coach who , possibly, realises he is not a manager

Someone else said that and had no actual proof of this, was there any success with the youth teams he coached or players come through?

john thomas
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Someone else said that and had no actual proof of this, was there any success with the youth teams he coached or players come through?

Certainly seems to be rated as a coach by other managers .

Who knows ?

10 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

He never got sacked for failing.    You should really read up on why he was sacked really.

Enlighten me to your theory!

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Certainly seems to be rated as a coach by other managers .

Who knows ?

What managers? Levein? Hes only been a coach under Robson for a few weeks. He was Assistant manager at Livi for a few months before being sacked, and then Utd under Ross for 3 months before getting the managers job. He has no apparent successes on his CV, just failures it seems. 

john thomas
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

What managers? Levein? Hes only been a coach under Robson for a few weeks. He was Assistant manager at Livi for a few months before being sacked, and then Utd under Ross for 3 months before getting the managers job. He has no apparent successes on his CV, just failures it seems. 

Martindale, Ross and Robson?

I'm sure I've heard positive comments from respected (by me) pundits .

Suspect these people know more than you or me ? Perhaps not 

14 hours ago, H2 said:

1977-1978 - St Mirren

I think there was a bit more to his sacking if I recall. Was there not allegedly some sort of financial irregularities realting to club pools tickets ?

john thomas
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I think there was a bit more to his sacking if I recall. Was there not allegedly some sort of financial irregularities realting to club pools tickets ?

St mirren were a mess at that time

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

I would agree with your take that Fox is highly regarded within the game. 
Dundee United may well be his coaching high point (or low point 🤷‍♂️) but that doesn’t mean he has nothing to offer going forward. 

7 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It wouldn't surprise me! 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, john thomas said:

Martindale sacked him, Ross was sacked after a few months. But they had him as assistant manager not as a coach. Robson barely a manager himself took him for a couple of weeks. 

Football managers/coaches usually all stick up for each other, as I said originally theres no concrete proof that Fox is a good coach, there is plenty showing him as a failure as an assistant and as a manager. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, H2 said:

Thanks, it is interesting!

Shows you how focused AF was even back then, or as the twisted ******* that he is 😜

18 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Martindale sacked him, Ross was sacked after a few months. But they had him as assistant manager not as a coach. Robson barely a manager himself took him for a couple of weeks. 

Football managers/coaches usually all stick up for each other, as I said originally theres no concrete proof that Fox is a good coach, there is plenty showing him as a failure as an assistant and as a manager. 

Martindale did not sack him, not even remotely true. He appointed him as assistant manager and wanted to keep him, when he left he said he was gutted to lose him but said he couldn't stand in his way to further his career.

Ross wanted him at Hibs, but he joined United to be Courts no.2, and they had a good season where he was then kept on to be Ross's assistant as well. And when Ross was sacked, he was highly thought of enough to become manager. You're trying to paint him as a serial failure and making things up to do so.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Martindale did not sack him, not even remotely true. He appointed him as assistant manager and wanted to keep him, when he left he said he was gutted to lose him but said he couldn't stand in his way to further his career.

Ross wanted him at Hibs, but he joined United to be Courts no.2, and they had a good season where he was then kept on to be Ross's assistant as well. And when Ross was sacked, he was highly thought of enough to become manager. You're trying to paint him as a serial failure and making things up to do so.

I read that wrong, thought he was only at Utd for a few months under Ross. 
As far as anyone can tell he achieved little as a coach with us 1st time around. 
He was a disaster at Cowdenbeath, he had the biggest budget in the league and they were bottom when he was sacked. 
He was Assistant manager under Ross, who got sacked after 3 months. He then took over and was sacked again with a team bottom of the league. 
Could you list any success he has had as a player or a coach please?

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I read that wrong, thought he was only at Utd for a few months under Ross. 
As far as anyone can tell he achieved little as a coach with us 1st time around. 
He was a disaster at Cowdenbeath, he had the biggest budget in the league and they were bottom when he was sacked. 
He was Assistant manager under Ross, who got sacked after 3 months. He then took over and was sacked again with a team bottom of the league. 
Could you list any success he has had as a player or a coach please?

How do you quantify someones success as a first team coach? As all the things you are throwing out are why is not good as a manager. 

31 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

How do you quantify someones success as a first team coach? As all the things you are throwing out are why is not good as a manager. 

Especially when he's been rated by Martindale, Levein, Ross, Courts and Robson. You can argue points individually but all these people have been impressed enough to employ him and pretty much all of them wanted to keep him on their staff. That's a success as a coach IMO, if people actively want you on their staff. He had never worked under Martindale, Courts or Robson before so they had no loyalty to him. Robson wanted to offer him a new deal and I believe St Johnstone were keen on him too which he turned down. 

It's not like he's dropping down levels after every gig like he's being found out. I think a key thing in terms of Hearts appointing as well is that it's not a jobs for the boys appointment, I don't even think anyone in charge of recruitment was still at the club when he last left. He's got it on merit.

13 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Especially when he's been rated by Martindale, Levein, Ross, Courts and Robson. You can argue points individually but all these people have been impressed enough to employ him and pretty much all of them wanted to keep him on their staff. That's a success as a coach IMO, if people actively want you on their staff. He had never worked under Martindale, Courts or Robson before so they had no loyalty to him. Robson wanted to offer him a new deal and I believe St Johnstone were keen on him too which he turned down. 

It's not like he's dropping down levels after every gig like he's being found out. I think a key thing in terms of Hearts appointing as well is that it's not a jobs for the boys appointment, I don't even think anyone in charge of recruitment was still at the club when he last left. He's got it on merit.

:spoton:

Don’t get the hate for the guy. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

If he was called Liamo Foxio and was from the lower reaches of Spanish football he'd be cool tho.

A forward,  technical coach with no fear of the OF and a bold move would be narrative.

Niemi’s gloves
50 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He was originally appointed to the Hearts coaching staff back in 2015 by the Great Satan, Craig Levein. For some people that damns him for all eternity. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

How would you differentiate between a head coach of our B team with being a manager? He will need to set up training, tactics, choose the team, motivate them and then adapt during a game. Hes failed at doing all of that at two clubs, but because a few of his pals say hes a good coach we’re not to ask questions?

Footballfirst

The SLFL has published July's fixtures.  Hearts B's first game is away to CSS on Tuesday 25 July.

I can only assume that Hearts B were due to play Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath in their first game, but both of those sides are involved in the League Cup on the opening day of the season.

22/07/2023 Caledonian Braves vs Berwick Rangers 15:00   Alliance Park
22/07/2023 Cumbernauld Colts vs Celtic B 15:00   Broadwood Stadium
22/07/2023 East Kilbride vs Broomhill 15:00   K Park
22/07/2023 East Stirlingshire vs Tranent 15:00   Falkirk Stadium
22/07/2023 Edinburgh University vs Civil Service Strollers 15:00   East Peffermill
22/07/2023 Linlithgow Rose vs University of Stirling 15:00   Prestonfield
22/07/2023 Bo’ness United vs Gala Fairydean Rovers 15:00   Newtown Park
25/07/2023 Gala Fairydean Rovers vs East Stirlingshire 19:45   Netherdale
25/07/2023 Tranent vs Edinburgh University 19:45   Foresters Park
25/07/2023 Civil Service Strollers vs Heart of Midlothian B 19:45   Christie Gillies Park
25/07/2023 Celtic B vs Caledonian Braves 19:45   Excelsior Stadium
25/07/2023 Broomhill vs Linlithgow Rose 19:45   The moreroom.com Stadium
25/07/2023 Berwick Rangers vs Bo'ness United 19:45   Shielfield Park
26/07/2023 Gretna 2008 vs East Kilbride 19:45   Raydale Park
26/07/2023 University of Stirling vs Cumbernauld Colts 19:45   Forthbank Stadium
29/07/2023 Berwick Rangers vs Cumbernauld Colts 15:00   Shielfield Park
29/07/2023 Broomhill vs Caledonian Braves 15:00   The moreroom.com Stadium
29/07/2023 Celtic B vs Cowdenbeath 15:00   Excelsior Stadium
29/07/2023 Civil Service Strollers vs East Stirlingshire 15:00   Christie Gillies Park
29/07/2023 Gala Fairydean Rovers vs Heart of Midlothian B 15:00   Netherdale
29/07/2023 Gretna 2008 vs Linlithgow Rose 15:00   Raydale Park
29/07/2023 Tranent vs Bo'ness United 15:00   Foresters Park
29/07/2023 University of Stirling vs East Kilbride 15:00   Forthbank Stadium

On 26/06/2023 at 13:40, john thomas said:

St mirren were a mess at that time

Sacked over a £100 cheque misdemeanour........

Footballfirst

Hearts B v Gretna has been rescheduled to Friday 21 July at Ainslie Park with a 7:45 k.o., so that will be the opening fixture of the Lowland League.

So, the league as promised is 16 teams plus the 2 B teams. Celtic B continue. 

Spartans, Rangers B, Dalbeattie Star leave.

Linlithgow Rose, Albion Rovers are in. 

Presume they will just go with 16 teams from 2024/25. 

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So, the league as promised is 16 teams plus the 2 B teams. Celtic B continue. 

Spartans, Rangers B, Dalbeattie Star leave.

Linlithgow Rose, Albion Rovers are in. 

Presume they will just go with 16 teams from 2024/25. 

Lithgae v Bo'ness is back

Saint Jambo
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

SPFL Trust Trophy (Challenge Cup) draw earlier today.

Potential Hearts v Hibs derby in round 2.

Opportunity to revive the East of Scotland Shield and play it at Tynecastle if that happens?