***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

Not read any further, so sorry if readily available, but is it just a straight reserve "league".  No age restrictions?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

Prince Buaben
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not read any further, so sorry if readily available, but is it just a straight reserve "league".  No age restrictions?

Press Release doesn't stipulate any age restrictions 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-260722

Edited by Prince Buaben

Going to head along tonight and see if the B Team can make it 2 out of 2.

Was pleasantly surprised on Saturday by the quality and style of play.

been here before

Lot of huffing and puffing without much to show. Been caught offside a few times. No real pace from midfield to the strikers, little chances of note.

No real stand outs. Teams just out for 2nd half.

been here before

McFarland of Spartans lucky to stay on the pitch. Lunging inbat speed with 2 raised feet gets him a booking.

jamboinglasgow

Sounds like one of these games, where you dominate the game but cant get the goal. Its a lesson for the youngsters which they will need to take and move on.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Every game a learning curve, this venture is the correct one come what may

Niemi’s gloves
20 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Sounds like one of these games, where you dominate the game but cant get the goal. Its a lesson for the youngsters which they will need to take and move on.

it was really only the last 20 minutes that Hearts B dominated. I thought the young lads paid the penalty for a lacklustre first half with a few passes going astray and a reluctance to get the ball forward quickly. 

23 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

All credit to the youngsters, pushed right to the end and were fairly unlucky not to get an equaliser.

We looked much more dangerous going forward when no10 came on (guessing it was McKenzie Kirk?), boy from Celtic looks quick but that’s about it, Darge looks very good at the centre of the back 3 and Denholm done really well talking players through the game.

Just in. Very different from the Berwick game. Spartans to be fair tried to pass the ball about first half. Second they were alot more direct. We seemed to stand off things for the first hour but once we realised we could move into space and move the ball about we looked dangerous. Very unlucky not to at least draw.

Darge looks a very good player. Smith got better as the game went on. Thomas was poor first half but ended well.

Another enjoyable evening. Kind of gutted I'll miss the next game.

Naismith going to have a Heart attack if he keeps up the rants. Literally spoke the boys through the whole first half not really letting them play. He was noticeably quieter second half and the boys played better. 

Niemi’s gloves
30 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Just in. Very different from the Berwick game. Spartans to be fair tried to pass the ball about first half. Second they were alot more direct. We seemed to stand off things for the first hour but once we realised we could move into space and move the ball about we looked dangerous. Very unlucky not to at least draw.

Darge looks a very good player. Smith got better as the game went on. Thomas was poor first half but ended well.

Another enjoyable evening. Kind of gutted I'll miss the next game.

For me, Thomas had a frustrating rather than poor first half, making runs and finding space without getting a pass. I thought the guy playing behind him was too ready to play the ball back inside to Darge rather than looking to keep moving the ball forward.

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

it was really only the last 20 minutes that Hearts B dominated. I thought the young lads paid the penalty for a lacklustre first half with a few passes going astray and a reluctance to get the ball forward quickly. 

Pretty much this, it was one of those performances we've seen from the first team many times before, passing side-to-side and backwards we were world class, once we hit 30 yards out we ran out of ideas as Spartans were well organised.

Footballfirst

Over the piece, Hearts were the better side, but didn't create enough chances.  I can't recall Stone making a save, while Carswell came to Spartans rescue on two or three occasions.

I thought that Hearts didn't make the best of what they had. Smith ended up playing too deep. The wing backs didn't get forward enough, preferring to check back and play the ball backwards to the full back rather than hit the bye line.

Harry Gordon is never a left centre back. Substituting him for Sandilands and putting Dall back to centre back was right. Taking Tait off for Kirk was also fair enough, but I think it should have been Denholm who took on Tait's role rather than Smith.  Thomas' abilities as a striker are also wasted playing him wide, while McLuckie is better playing wide than in an auxiliary striker role.

I expect that Pollock will be back after suspension for Saturday's away game against East Kilbride with any of Tait, McLuckie or Thomas missing out.

It was interesting to note from the other results, the reversal of results from the expected top sides from the weekend, Hearts, Rangers and Celtic B teams, East Kilbride and Spartans are all on three points from two games.

Hungry hippo
9 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Why have we got 2 goals against in that league table?

Goal difference seems to be a bit of a mess on that table which is the same on on both the Lowland website and twitter. 

A quick look shows that Spartans are also listed as having conceded an extra goal. They've lost 2-1 and won 1-0 but are listed as conceding 3 goals.

I only looked at Spartans as I thought they might have accidentally counted tonight as 2-0 and at least that would explain it. I suspect there will be more issues but I can't bothered looking through all the teams. Was probably just someone trying to update the table too quickly.

BY the sounds of it and even some soundbites from Robbie on our friendlies, I'd hope Naisy takes the boys and works on them being braver on the ball.  More positive and aggressive when in possession, both ball carrier and runners.

These are perhaps perfect games for the lads, as these are all mindsets they need to learn.  Actually rather games that sound like last night than 6-0 wins every week!  (Although would rather we'd nabbed the equaliser!).

Really want to get along to some of these games.  Sound great opps to get my kids back in to footy too (they had season tickets when they were too young and in the negative Levein tenure, and it kinda scunnered them I think!)

10 hours ago, robbogoal said:

Naismith going to have a Heart attack if he keeps up the rants. Literally spoke the boys through the whole first half not really letting them play. He was noticeably quieter second half and the boys played better. 

Perhaps they played as he wanted and thus didn't need to be so vocal? Just a thought

The build up play from the back in the first half was poor.    Short passing wasn't effective but had a afew decent long balls out wide.   

Tait losing control of the ball alot.   Gordon on the left CB poor short passes and  RCB as well sometimes.    I'll blame the pitch.   

I didn't realise how short the players are to the much taller Spartan players.    I thought that Jayden Fergusson was taller.   He's quick.  

We got suckered by a set piece, out jumped.    We had chances to score but either couldn't put them away or saves by the keeper.    Their keeper pulled off a remarkable tip over the bar to stop an equaliser. 

I have to say we could do with a better target man up top and then have Fergusson and Smith working off him.    Sort the distribution and control at the back. 

Better luck next time. 

14 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The build up play from the back in the first half was poor.    Short passing wasn't effective but had a afew decent long balls out wide.   

Tait losing control of the ball alot.   Gordon on the left CB poor short passes and  RCB as well sometimes.    I'll blame the pitch.   

I didn't realise how short the players are to the much taller Spartan players.    I thought that Jayden Fergusson was taller.   He's quick.  

We got suckered by a set piece, out jumped.    We had chances to score but either couldn't put them away or saves by the keeper.    Their keeper pulled off a remarkable tip over the bar to stop an equaliser. 

I have to say we could do with a better target man up top and then have Fergusson and Smith working off him.    Sort the distribution and control at the back. 

Better luck next time. 

Naive giving away the foul for the free kick too. Arguably not a foul. 

There was a physical gap though Hearts stood up well. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Naive giving away the foul for the free kick too. Arguably not a foul. 

There was a physical gap though Hearts stood up well. 

Yeah, I saw quite afew decisions that were not fouls and were fouls.   Some offsides were as well.   I think we could have had a penalty. 

The physical side was in Spartans favour but we had quicker players and much more talent.    Unfortunately not at the back where most of the build up play was. 

6 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Yeah, I saw quite afew decisions that were not fouls and were fouls.   Some offsides were as well.   I think we could have had a penalty. 

The physical side was in Spartans favour but we had quicker players and much more talent.    Unfortunately not at the back where most of the build up play was. 

We do as a club seem to struggle to bring through big guys.  Paterson only one I can really think of perhaps going back to Berra.  Seem to bring through more technical, smaller players.  Not a bad thing that, but it'd be great to occasionally get both in a player.  Doesn't have to be height, just physicality.  TBF Pollock seems to have it.

10 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Standard of refereeing another challenge and learning for the players.

1 hour ago, sjh1874 said:

Perhaps they played as he wanted and thus didn't need to be so vocal? Just a thought

That’s the point. In the first half he was literally telling them every pass, long, short, when to dribble. At one point we lost the ball as we’d worked it to the right. Naisy screaming to play across just as rathie was going to play forward. He was then moaned at for turning back to play across. Very early days in Naismith coaching career but Hearts were noticeably better once he stopped telling them every move. 
main problem for me second half was there was no one (smith aside twice) who ran at the Spartans defence centrally to pull their defensive shape. It was always side to side with very little penetration. Murray was told to cross straight away which suited the Spartans CH’s all day. 

6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

We do as a club seem to struggle to bring through big guys.  Paterson only one I can really think of perhaps going back to Berra.  Seem to bring through more technical, smaller players.  Not a bad thing that, but it'd be great to occasionally get both in a player.  Doesn't have to be height, just physicality.  TBF Pollock seems to have it.

Guys like Dan Baur and Liam Gordon were tall lads but like many others they didn't fill out. I think that's also Scottish football and the lack of focus on weights and development in the gym compared to lads down south of a similar age. 

Footballfirst
10 hours ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Apologies if elsewhere, but the Daily Record are reporting we are to sign Ryan Duncan (18) from Rangers

He's only 16 (17 in September), so has been signed to play for the U18s

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He's only 16 (17 in September), so has been signed to play for the U18s

See he made his debut for the U18s tonight in a 2-1 loss to Celtic. A few names in that team I dont recognise, I presume a very young team.

Footballfirst
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

See he made his debut for the U18s tonight in a 2-1 loss to Celtic. A few names in that team I dont recognise, I presume a very young team.

See the U18 thread thread.

I P Knightley
On 26/07/2022 at 22:51, robbogoal said:

This is an interesting observation and chimes with my experience last season watching a mouthy coach completely destroy an under-18 squad which was full of talent and promise. For this guy, it was all about him, not the lads, and he made no allowance for the fact that they were 16, 17 or 18 years old. Although they were largely talented, they didn't have the confidence that an adult team would have. The result of all the ranting from the dugout was that shoulders went down, confidence dropped and the lads were vocally asking the coach WTF he was shouting for as they were trying to do what they'd been told in training.

I fully appreciated Naisy's on-pitch mouthiness when playing for the JTs but think that it's dangerous for youngsters. Maybe someone had a word with him at H-T; I'd hope so.

Footballfirst
48 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

This is an interesting observation and chimes with my experience last season watching a mouthy coach completely destroy an under-18 squad which was full of talent and promise. For this guy, it was all about him, not the lads, and he made no allowance for the fact that they were 16, 17 or 18 years old. Although they were largely talented, they didn't have the confidence that an adult team would have. The result of all the ranting from the dugout was that shoulders went down, confidence dropped and the lads were vocally asking the coach WTF he was shouting for as they were trying to do what they'd been told in training.

I fully appreciated Naisy's on-pitch mouthiness when playing for the JTs but think that it's dangerous for youngsters. Maybe someone had a word with him at H-T; I'd hope so.

He's fine when he is actually coaching during pauses in the game, but it creates indecision on the part of the players when he shouts instructions during the flow of play. The players on the park need to think for themselves more and communicate with their team mates.

All too often it's just the shout of a name e.g. "Denholm".  What are you meant to take from that?

I recall another situation from a recent game.  He asked a player to "hold your position, hold your position". A couple of seconds later the same player is criticised "why didn't you close him down?".

As a player Naisy was terrific during training, talking youngsters through the game, but as a coach he seems to want to kick every ball for them.

That said, the youngsters seem to like him as a coach as he has lots of 1 to 1 chats with them. You frequently see that during the pre match warm ups. 

Edited by Footballfirst

56 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He's fine when he is actually coaching during pauses in the game, but it creates indecision on the part of the players when he shouts instructions during the flow of play. The players on the park need to think for themselves more and communicate with their team mates.

All too often it's just the shout of a name e.g. "Denholm".  What are you meant to take from that?

I recall another situation from a recent game.  He asked a player to "hold your position, hold your position". A couple of seconds later the same player is criticised "why didn't you close him down?".

As a player Naisy was terrific during training, talking youngsters through the game, but as a coach he seems to want to kick every ball for them.

That said, the youngsters seem to like him as a coach as he has lots of 1 to 1 chats with them. You frequently see that during the pre match warm ups. 

I guess the point is Naisy is also in training here - finding his voice as a coach.  Especially for someone who played like he did, I'll bet he DOES kick every ball from the sideline!!!

He's a clever, driven guy, he'll find the style that works best I'm sure.  That's another great thing about the B Team (or a reserve set up), it's also coach development.  Can't send coaches out on loan!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******