***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, JTJ said:

It'll be interesting to see how Finlay Pollock gets on tonight (assuming his suspension is now over). 

FP should be available - one game of his suspension still outstanding on Friday’s list, which would have been covered by Saturday’s game.

I have some trouble getting my head round FP’s 3 match suspension. It was apparently incurred in a CAS under-18 game on 11 February. It didn’t seem to affect his loan to East Fife later that month for the rest of the season but nor was it wiped out, it seems, by our under-18 games. At the start of this season it was shown as a three match under-18  suspension still outstanding but that then became a 3 match SLFL (Lothian league) suspension, which should now have been exhausted

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

FP should be available - one game of his suspension still outstanding on Friday’s list, which would have been covered by Saturday’s game.

I have some trouble getting my head round FP’s 3 match suspension. It was apparently incurred in a CAS under-18 game on 11 February. It didn’t seem to affect his loan to East Fife later that month for the rest of the season but nor was it wiped out, it seems, by our under-18 games. At the start of this season it was shown as a three match under-18  suspension still outstanding but that then became a 3 match SLFL (Lothian league) suspension, which should now have been exhausted

You can't help but admire the Scottish Football Authorities in making their rules so simple to follow in plain English.

Niemi’s gloves
54 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I guess the point is Naisy is also in training here - finding his voice as a coach.  Especially for someone who played like he did, I'll bet he DOES kick every ball from the sideline!!!

He's a clever, driven guy, he'll find the style that works best I'm sure.  That's another great thing about the B Team (or a reserve set up), it's also coach development.  Can't send coaches out on loan!

Good points. Actually we did sort of send Liam Fox on loan as head coach to Cowdenbeath in 2016-17. He didn’t formally stay on our payroll but there does seem to have been an understanding that it was part of his coaching development and that he would be returning to Hearts in due course. It didn’t work out well. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

He's fine when he is actually coaching during pauses in the game, but it creates indecision on the part of the players when he shouts instructions during the flow of play. The players on the park need to think for themselves more and communicate with their team mates.

All too often it's just the shout of a name e.g. "Denholm".  What are you meant to take from that?

I recall another situation from a recent game.  He asked a player to "hold your position, hold your position". A couple of seconds later the same player is criticised "why didn't you close him down?".

As a player Naisy was terrific during training, talking youngsters through the game, but as a coach he seems to want to kick every ball for them.

That said, the youngsters seem to like him as a coach as he has lots of 1 to 1 chats with them. You frequently see that during the pre match warm ups. 

It all sounds too familiar to me (apart from the respect bit in the last line) and I completely agree with you about leaving players to their own devices on the pitch. The instructions and patterns are determined in training and there's little value in yelling the same instructions or contradictory ones from the touchline. Sure, have a quiet word if you've spotted something the oppo is doing that is unexpected and could create chances or snuff out risk but the yelling of "NAME!!!" helps no one.

I don't know whether Naisy does this but Knightley Jr's coach would shout, "AW KNIGHTLEY JR... FFS!" if he mis-hit a ball. Now KJ's an excellent player with talent, skills and experience aplenty. When he mis-hits a ball, he knows it and doesn't need some frustrated has-been (or never-did-was) telling him that; he's already shouting FFS at himself. He's quit that club and a couple of other players followed suit.

As Roy says, the Bs is a great proving ground for everyone, players and coaches. I wonder who's scrutinising and advising Naisy, though. Your observations would be very helpful to him; I hope that someone is having a word in his ear.

Footballfirst
39 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I seem to recall that he was given a double red card in an U18 game.  He subsequently went out on loan to East Fife, so couldn't serve the ban with the U18s. However, he was allowed to play in the SFA Youth Cup (a different competition).  As he is now too old for the U18s, the suspension now has to be served in the next league competition he was available to play in.  Serving the ban in the Lowland League made more sense for Hearts to get it out of the way as it started before the SPFL.  

Niemi’s gloves
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Might take a walk/cycle up to watch this. Shame there are no pubs in Rosewell any more. 😄

Eddie Thomson lounge at the ground open from 6pm to 10pm tonight for pre and post match drinks according to Whitehill Welfare’s Twitter. 

Gorgierools
2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Eddie Thomson lounge at the ground open from 6pm to 10pm tonight for pre and post match drinks according to Whitehill Welfare’s Twitter. 

Used to be a good wee bar but haven't been there for a while.

Half time here. We’ve had plenty of the ball but sometimes feels we are a wee bit rushed when we get into the final third. Wee bit composure could’ve seen us a couple up by now. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Half time here. We’ve had plenty of the ball but sometimes feels we are a wee bit rushed when we get into the final third. Wee bit composure could’ve seen us a couple up by now. 

So it's currently 0-0?

Clerry Jambo
79' | 1-1 Chance. A Sandilands header seems destined for goal - but a diving stop from Farrell keeps the score level.

hoksg3P4_x96.jpg

77' | 1-1 Another change for Hearts. Makenzie Kirk is replaced by Callum Sandilands.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

How the hell was that first post 2 hours ago already describing what had happened before the following posts?? 

1-1

Naisy sent to the stands after we equalised. Hearts had no cutting edge in the final third.

Lewis Neilson strolled the game. Smith played about 5 different positions and Pollock was dangerous coming off the left. Should have won and the goal they lost was a set piece. 

Think the boys are learning a lot. Darge is a lovely footballer. Technically very 👍 

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

How the hell was that first post 2 hours ago already describing what had happened before the following posts?? 

Wonders of technology I suppose. Before kick off,  I attempted to post the team list from the @heartsb Twitter but somehow managed to embed the @heartsb Twitter as a whole, which then kept updating in real time here. Apologies if that upset anyone.

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

1-1

Naisy sent to the stands after we equalised. Hearts had no cutting edge in the final third.

Lewis Neilson strolled the game. Smith played about 5 different positions and Pollock was dangerous coming off the left. Should have won and the goal they lost was a set piece. 

Think the boys are learning a lot. Darge is a lovely footballer. Technically very 👍 

I wasn’t at the game, but going by Transfermarket, Cowdenbeath’s squad are quite young with the GK and captain aged 23 and the rest in the 17-21 range, so not too different to our boys. Given that we had guys like Smith, Pollock and Neilson playing a 1-1 draw doesn’t seem too impressive

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It was strange reading the match report backwards then thinking has this game started yet ?  😵

12 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I wasn’t at the game, but going by Transfermarket, Cowdenbeath’s squad are quite young with the GK and captain aged 23 and the rest in the 17-21 range, so not too different to our boys. Given that we had guys like Smith, Pollock and Neilson playing a 1-1 draw doesn’t seem too impressive

Cowdenbeath were organised Ross had them well drilled. Their goal came from a freekick where hearts lost the header and guy scores an open goal. Cowdenbeath had a trialist playing who was very impressive.

That said hearts controlled possession and the tempo and were camped in the Cowdenbeath half the last 20 minutes. Keeper has a couple of great saves from Pollock and Sandilands. On another day hearts win. Very similar to Spartans game possession no real goalscorers. 

This league is less about results of course we want to win. Naisy tonight getting sent off shows that. But for me this league and these games give us a bridge from youth players to first team. Their not playing against u18 players now but guys who've been about and make the game more difficult and physical 

AlphonseCapone
38 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Wonders of technology I suppose. Before kick off,  I attempted to post the team list from the @heartsb Twitter but somehow managed to embed the @heartsb Twitter as a whole, which then kept updating in real time here. Apologies if that upset anyone.

Ah that makes sense. I just thought you were a time travelling wizard. 

2 hours ago, thejoff said:

1-1 Smith from the spot (never a pen 🤣)

I was quite glad to see a referee give a foul against a keeper. The ball was away by the time he wiped out everyone in front of him. 

Footballfirst
20 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

I was quite glad to see a referee give a foul against a keeper. The ball was away by the time he wiped out everyone in front of him. 

I thought that the penalty was given by the assistant for a defender pulling back Connor Smith before the keeper got involved.

Naismith's red card was needless, but I understand his frustration with the delay to the kick off after Hearts equalised.  He said "Ref, any chance of getting on with the f*****g game?"

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought that the penalty was given by the assistant for a defender pulling back Connor Smith before the keeper got involved.

Naismith's red card was needless, but I understand his frustration with the delay to the kick off after Hearts equalised.  He said "Ref, any chance of getting on with the f*****g game?"

I never noticed a pull so I’d assumed it was against the keeper for a reckless challenge. 
Regardless, it was quite pleasing to see the away fans getting so worked up about the decision. I noticed them getting quite personal with Naismith at the end as he was going back to the changing room which made me think it could potentially be ‘interesting’ when we play Celtic there 🤷‍♂️

Niemi’s gloves

Connor Smith presumably in the squad for Easter Road 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

18 minutes ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

2 2..Pollock free kick in last minute. Good comeback

👍

Saw it was back to 2-1 

Footballfirst

Can't win games if you concede a couple of defensive howlers as Hearts did today.

Naismith a little more restrained today (no expletives) when asking the ref to keep the game going when CSS were wasting time. 

38 minutes ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

2 2..Pollock free kick in last minute. Good comeback

Really impressed with him today. Should imagine he’ll get a few run outs in first team as season goes on. 

Leveins Battalion

These games will toughen our boys up but tin hat on here I think it's debatable whether any of these boys are remotely good enough.

I watch a lot of the local Midlothian Teams,Dalkeith,Arniston, Newtongrange etc,no really seeing any standouts in the Hearts youth.

39 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

These games will toughen our boys up but tin hat on here I think it's debatable whether any of these boys are remotely good enough.

I watch a lot of the local Midlothian Teams,Dalkeith,Arniston, Newtongrange etc,no really seeing any standouts in the Hearts youth.

I thought Denholm was good today. 
I can see why you are saying that but you have to consider it is a youth team with no older heads on the pitch to guide them or help take the pressure off. 
I think the fact that they are all so young is why Naismith is so vocal. It was quite noticeable today how much quieter we were compared to the CSS players. 

53 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I think a few of the lads have shown enough to play at a higher level than LL, but certainly not showing enough to merit a first team place with us. Early doors though, still 32 games to go this season and I've no doubt they'll improve massively. I could be wrong, but I think the arse cheeks B teams struggled a bit in the first few games but were cuffing teams every week by the end of the season.

Not seen any of our games live but, for me, 3 games in..a win, a draw and a loss seems a decent start. The purpose of getting the youngsters in this league was to gain experience of playing against some decent older players. Hopefully that turns out to be the case and the ones with the natural ability to play at higher levels learn a bit about the game in the process from the older, wiser opponents. As is the case with most things in life....experience counts for lots! I also think other teams in the league will 'raise their game' against us and the uglies. Some guys playing for the other teams will no doubt have points to prove if theyve been cut loose by professional teams in the past too. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its about learning and keeping the group together, playing a repeatable way. Sure they can only improve 

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Its about learning and keeping the group together, playing a repeatable way. Sure they can only improve 

They would be helped by playing on a better pitch than that at Ferguson Park, despite it being greener and less fiery than it was at the start of the season..

While grass would be preferable, there is no guarantee that any local grass pitch would remain playable throughout the winter with two teams playing on it.  Tynecastle would be the preferred option of being capable of sustaining more use than that of a lower league side, given the maintenance it receives.

The alternative of playing on an artificial surface should be looked at. All the players have spent most of their careers to date playing on such surfaces.  The closest "licensed" grounds would be Livingston or Broxburn. Either would be preferable to Ferguson Park. 

Hungry hippo
36 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Not seen any of our games live but, for me, 3 games in..a win, a draw and a loss seems a decent start. The purpose of getting the youngsters in this league was to gain experience of playing against some decent older players. Hopefully that turns out to be the case and the ones with the natural ability to play at higher levels learn a bit about the game in the process from the older, wiser opponents. As is the case with most things in life....experience counts for lots! I also think other teams in the league will 'raise their game' against us and the uglies. Some guys playing for the other teams will no doubt have points to prove if theyve been cut loose by professional teams in the past too. 

Agree with your post. Just mention that we've played 5 games: W1 D2 L2.

SomethingAboutObua

Question for anyone that's been watching the matches, does it look like we are (and I suppose Celtic/Rangers B's) more focused on playing a specific way for 90 minutes, or are we playing to win by any means necessary? 

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Bigteam said:

2 shockers defensively for the young team . Darge having an off day  and the team getting bullied in general 

Is the physicality of the opponents older players very obvious in these games?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******