• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

Niemi’s gloves

Civil service Strollers started with a 2-1 win over Rangers B tonight.  Nice in itself but I can’t help thinking that our B teams has a pretty demanding run of games before anything “easy”. Indeed fully 12 games in before we get a run of a few games against the weaker looking teams in the LL. 

I’m sort of feeling that an eventual mid-table finish would be quite decent but maybe folk who’ve watched more of the LL can give a view? 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Footballfirst
41 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Civil service Strollers started with a 2-1 win over Rangers B tonight.  Nice in itself but I can’t help thinking that our B teams has a pretty demanding run of games before anything “easy”. Indeed fully 12 games in before we get a run of a few games against the weaker looking teams in the LL. 

I’m sort of feeling that an eventual mid-table finish would be quite decent but maybe folk who’ve watched more of the LL can give a view? 

If Hearts can play their strongest side (including those who were on loan in L1 & L2) then they could finish top 6, if not then mid table would be decent.

The team selection will be down to how the coaching staff want to develop players from age 16 up.

16 & 17 year olds would normally be expected to play U18 football

18 & 19 year olds would normally be expected to play B team football

20 & 21 year olds should be looking to be in the 1st team squad or out on loan to a prem/champ side

Anyone older than that should be in the first team or transferred/released as not good enough.

Obviously, players can skip levels if they are good enough.

My understanding is that Hearts will not be putting anyone out on loan until the end of the window. That will give everyone a month to show how good they are and at what level they end up playing for at least the first half of the season.

Niemi’s gloves
46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If Hearts can play their strongest side (including those who were on loan in L1 & L2) then they could finish top 6, if not then mid table would be decent.

The team selection will be down to how the coaching staff want to develop players from age 16 up.

20 & 21 year olds should be looking to be in the 1st team squad or out on loan to a prem/champ side

Anyone older than that should be in the first team or transferred/released as not good enough.

My understanding is that Hearts will not be putting anyone out on loan until the end of the window. That will give everyone a month to show how good they are and at what level they end up playing for at least the first half of the season.

Thanks FF. I’m intending to catch the game against Spartans at Ainslie Park on Tuesday night which should be a good  test for our B team. I thought Spartans looked pretty solid defensively in the pre-season game against our first team squad and had an impressive keeper (on the night at least) but it will be interesting to see how much they offer going forward. 

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Wonder if that means likes of Stone, McGill, Pollock etc will be playing for B’s today then? No point in them being at Tynecastle and getting very few or no minutes. When they could play 90 and improve the B team (in terms of others development and the result)

Niemi’s gloves
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

B Team photo from the club.  Notably missing those players who are 20+

Liam McFarlane’s a big lad, both height and build (or else the rest are midgets). Should be able to stand up to any “old fashioned No 9” in the LL. 

28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

B Team photo from the club.  Notably missing those players who are 20+

Who is top row, first left? Saw him on the bus going to Riccarton the other day there, i think.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Liam McFarlane’s a big lad, both height and build (or else the rest are midgets). Should be able to stand up to any “old fashioned No 9” in the LL. 

Despite his size he's yet to learn to dominate his box. For someone with such physical attributes he  seems reluctant to come off his line.

Niemi’s gloves

Pollock and Logan are in the first team squad today. Are McGill and Leo Watson injured? 

3 minutes ago, Tott said:

1-0 Connor Smith

Berwick Rangers Twitter nicely referring to him as ‘the impressive number 7’

30 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Think Connor should be more involved with the first team

I guess the hope is boys can truly earn the call up now like in the old days. Way way better than loans.

Lets see a bit of Smith and Pollock this year, maybe Logan too. If Stone doing well, get him backing up Craig.

Will there generally be highlights of the B games? Hope to make a few but great if we atleast get the goals each week

What a great day to be a Hearts fan. 

It's really great to have this B team to get right behind now too. 

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Will there generally be highlights of the B games? Hope to make a few but great if we atleast get the goals each week

Think there will be! Hearts I’m sure are employing media people 

FoH forever
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hopefully. Not meaning this as a slight on them but we do get the Women's team highlights so think we should see the B team as well. 

Footballfirst

After a nervous start Hearts settled into the game and went ahead with a peach of a free kick by Connor Smith from around 24 yards.

The second half turned into a procession when Hearts got their penalty and the Berwick defender was sent off for DOGSO. Smith converted the penalty

Thereafter Hearts were very patient and worked the openings well. Jaden Ferguson got the third with a fierce shot from 16 yards after making a yard of space onto his left foot.

Bobby McLuckie made it four after he beat the offside trap and scored through the keeper's legs (an ex Hibby Calum Antell) 

Smith then completed his hat trick again shifting the ball onto his left foot and slotting it past the keeper.

Connor Smith turned provide for the sixth, crossing for Callum Sandilands to head into the net from close range.

All in all a good day at the office.  MOTM Connor Smith by a country mile.

Edited by Footballfirst

Very impressive performance and a great day out.

Firstly nice to see the team try and pass it. First 15/20 mins it was even and it must have been tempting to go long etc. But we stuck to the game plan. 

Stand outs for me. The keeper. Naismith have him pelters early doors for not standing up to a BR player which was very harsh IMO. Made some good saves and always communicating.

Obviously Smith was good. I also thought Darge looked a class above but MOM for me was Ferguson. Ran great lines, didn't let himself be bullied and certainly has a swagger about him.

Pollock has made the progression to senior, my next is Darge, I think he will go far.

27 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Very impressive performance and a great day out.

Firstly nice to see the team try and pass it. First 15/20 mins it was even and it must have been tempting to go long etc. But we stuck to the game plan. 

Stand outs for me. The keeper. Naismith have him pelters early doors for not standing up to a BR player which was very harsh IMO. Made some good saves and always communicating.

Obviously Smith was good. I also thought Darge looked a class above but MOM for me was Ferguson. Ran great lines, didn't let himself be bullied and certainly has a swagger about him.

Was at the game. Agree Ferguson mom. Puts himself about and looks to have a bit quality. 

They’ve now got two tough away matches coming up next week against two of the teams fancied to be battling for the title in Spartans and East Kilbride. So great to start with such a convincing win heading into them. 

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Is that Ferguson with the pass for the fourth goal? Looks a really good turn and through ball.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Is that Ferguson with the pass for the fourth goal? Looks a really good turn and through ball.

I think it was Denholm making the pass for McLuckie.

Edit: You were correct. Denholm played it forward to Ferguson and on to McLuckie.

Edited by Footballfirst

heartsfc_fan

Daft question but are the B team players essentially separate team players and we can't call up, say Conor Smith, to the first team instantly? Or put somebody into the B team from first team who needs game time after injury?

Hungry hippo
9 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Are we getting any TV coverage, even of goals?

Yes. See 4 posts up from yours.

Footballfirst
59 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Daft question but are the B team players essentially separate team players and we can't call up, say Conor Smith, to the first team instantly? Or put somebody into the B team from first team who needs game time after injury?

Last season, I think that B team players could play up to 5 games with their respective first teams before they were barred from playing in the LL.

Finlay James

I think we’ll see Connor Smith and Scott McGill out on loan again this season rather than play lowland league.  They’re miles ahead of this level but not quite ready to be main players for the 1st team.

I haven’t seen Ferguson play as yet but the reports sound encouraging.  

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Last season, I think that B team players could play up to 5 games with their respective first teams before they were barred from playing in the LL.

Slightly different levels but in my days playing for West Swindon FC, first team in Wilts League, reserves in Swindon and District League, it was exactly the same. Probably going to be consistent even across jurisdictions. (Looks like Oxfordshire Over 50's league might be Mavericks though.)

Glamorgan Jambo
7 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I think we’ll see Connor Smith and Scott McGill out on loan again this season rather than play lowland league.  They’re miles ahead of this level but not quite ready to be main players for the 1st team.

I haven’t seen Ferguson play as yet but the reports sound encouraging.  

If Smith gets a decent loan offer from a top half Championship team maybe. Otherwise he deserves a crack at the first team. Agreed he’s far too good for the LL.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******