***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******

jamboinglasgow

On 21/08/2022 at 18:00, Footballfirst said:

Yes, I would agree with that for the "U20s", but it doesn't help the group of U21s at the club, who are either going to be punted out on loan, with a questionable future, or reliant on multiple injuries/suspensions for RN to give them a chance in the first team.

I guess the thing is, FF, with reference to your post above too, that the club needed to do something and longer term, if a colt team is a path we like, then this situation is unique as its the first year.  The problem in Scotland is we don't have any kind of pathway so from age 16 to 22, what do teams do?  What do kids do?  The "Covid Generation" acutely affected by this of course.

If we have an agreed 10 year plan from the SPFL be that reserve, u23 or colts (or options of all for clubs to choose from), then clubs can start actually mapping out kids futures a bit more.  Does that make sense?  Does in my heid!

This season, worrying if it was an admin error as you seem to suggest, but I'd think perhaps more likely a whole load of very vague info allied to a deadline for submittance and in the face of abyss, the club had to go for it.  Tough for Logan, Smith et al, but hopefully good for their younger squad-mates.

Going forward, I do quite like the colts idea but we need it to be u23 (a widely accepted development cutoff everywhere worthwhile other than Scotland it always appears to me!) and we need to be able to play guys more freely in the 1st team for it to have the real world impact we'd want.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Niemi’s gloves

• jamboinglasgow

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I guess the thing is, FF, with reference to your post above too, that the club needed to do something and longer term, if a colt team is a path we like, then this situation is unique as its the first year.  The problem in Scotland is we don't have any kind of pathway so from age 16 to 22, what do teams do?  What do kids do?  The "Covid Generation" acutely affected by this of course.

If we have an agreed 10 year plan from the SPFL be that reserve, u23 or colts (or options of all for clubs to choose from), then clubs can start actually mapping out kids futures a bit more.  Does that make sense?  Does in my heid!

This season, worrying if it was an admin error as you seem to suggest, but I'd think perhaps more likely a whole load of very vague info allied to a deadline for submittance and in the face of abyss, the club had to go for it.  Tough for Logan, Smith et al, but hopefully good for their younger squad-mates.

Going forward, I do quite like the colts idea but we need it to be u23 (a widely accepted development cutoff everywhere worthwhile other than Scotland it always appears to me!) and we need to be able to play guys more freely in the 1st team for it to have the real world impact we'd want.

I totally agree as a Hearts development model.

I still don't think that B Teams should be parachuted (bribed) into the Lowland League though.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I totally agree as a Hearts development model.

I still don't think that B Teams should be parachuted (bribed) into the Lowland League though.

As long as its us doing the bribing, I'm golden!! haha

Na get what you mean, but it's the total lack of leadership from SPFL and SFA that causes teams to need to sort this for themselves and therefore basically bully their way in to the LL.  I'd hope at the very least the "Big 3" are working hard to get this on the agenda and sorted before next July.

Niemi’s gloves

Hearts B playing East Stirling away tonight. 2 changes from the team that got a creditable draw against Celtic B on Sunday: Stone in goal (in place of U-18 keeper Paris) and Pollock in place of Sandison

Niemi’s gloves

That’s a really good result albeit East Stirling seem to be  unexpectedly one of the weaker teams in the league. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

The opposition level we are playing at seems to be about right for the age groups IMO.

I was thinking that too, they're experiencing it all

B’s played well, Stirling didn’t really threaten of their own accord unless Hearts made an error. There was a couple of goal mouth scrambles but two very classy goals from hearts won it.

has to be said there was some right meaty tackles from the home side, one on Finlay Pollock right in half time unpunished as the whistle was blown?! And another on another player I wasn’t sure who in the corner flag mid second half, again unpunished as play went on.

must admit that I found it very amusing being a few rows behind a bunch of home fans giving it the “Billy big baws” patter to hearts throughout, squealing for fouls for supposed handballs or offsides that never even close, but ignores the hatchet job. 

definte improvement in the hearts team but still some very basic errors in the team

Niemi’s gloves

Hearts B away at Caledonian Braves this evening. Missing Darge and Pollock from the team that beat East Stirling a week ago. Both on first team duty tomorrow?

Niemi’s gloves

Caledonian Braves are currently third in the league, 15 points from 8 games. They’ve had a reasonably easy start to the season (although they did get a 3-3 draw against Rangers B). Looks quite a tough one for our young team. 

Niemi’s gloves

Well at least the young lads seem to have stuck at it. Perhaps starting with five under-18 players was a bit too big an ask. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's Scottish Cup weekend, so the B Team doesn't have a league fixture scheduled. However, I'm told that they have scheduled a bounce game against EOS Prem side Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts tomorrow at the Oriam with a 12:30 ko.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

It's Scottish Cup weekend, so the B Team doesn't have a league fixture scheduled. However, I'm told that they have scheduled a bounce game against EOS Prem side Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts tomorrow at the Oriam with a 12:30 ko.

Can we play first team players with the B team? 

I know Smith and Pollock have been involved but wondered if that's maybe due to their contracts being "youth" players. 

Not too sure how it works 

5 minutes ago, larbert_jambo said:

I know Smith and Pollock have been involved but wondered if that's maybe due to their contracts being "youth" players. 

In a transfer window period B team players are allowed to play 5 first team games. 

1 hour ago, larbert_jambo said:

It's a bounce game so I suppose that we could play anyone. The B team hasn't played for a couple of weeks so they also need the game time.

Hearts B leading 2-1 at half time gainst IHS. Goals from Pollock and Denholm after going behind to a goal from ex Hearts youth Brodie Strang.

IHS are down to 20 men after Greg Spence was shown a straight red for a stamp on Murray Thomas.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts B leading 2-1 at half time gainst IHS. Goals from Pollock and Denholm after going behind to a goal from ex Hearts youth Brodie Strang.

IHS are down to 20 men after Greg Spence was shown a straight red for a stamp on Murray Thomas.

Seems a bit unfair, we must be playing out of our skins to be winning! 😃

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

20 seems to be an awful lot. 😖 

Hearts B eventually won 3-1, with the second half goal from Bobby McLuckie.

Hearts superior numbers 21 (after 10 subs) prevailed as they finished with something close to their U18 side.

IHS was allowed to return to 11 players for the second half.

1 hour ago, VivaObua said:

Anyone know whats up with MaKenzie Kirk?

He made his return from injury on Saturday in the B Team friendly against Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts

@footballfirst 

See the 5 game first team rule. When is that an issue for Smith and Pollock if they are needed in the first team?

2 hours ago, Prince Buaben said:

@footballfirst 

See the 5 game first team rule. When is that an issue for Smith and Pollock if they are needed in the first team?

My understanding of the rule is that 5 first team league appearances rules you out of LL games up to the next transfer window. 

I know that both have been on the bench recently, but unused subs won't count to the 5 games.  In reality, I can't see Smith playing for the B Team again, while I'd expect Pollock to continue to feature regularly.

Their next game in on Friday, away to OG Broomhill.

Niemi’s gloves
40 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

My understanding of the rule is that 5 first team league appearances rules you out of LL games up to the next transfer window. 

I know that both have been on the bench recently, but unused subs won't count to the 5 games.  In reality, I can't see Smith playing for the B Team again, while I'd expect Pollock to continue to feature regularly.

It’s all a bit vague in the absence of a published “rule”. Maybe it’s just a gentlemen’s agreement, in the form of a letter of intent to the LL board? It seems pretty reasonable that Lewis Neilson can’t play again in the LL; maybe less so in the case of Connor Smith whose 5 first team appearances have all been as a sub and total only 100 minutes or so. In any event, for the game against Broomhill, both are unavailable due to Scotland U-21 duty, as are Liam MacFarlane and Finlay Pollock (Scotland U-19).

One lowland league selection that surprised me was Euan Henderson against East Kilbride. I thought our outfield players in the LL were supposed to be under-20s (ie born 2003 or later), except that one could be U-21, which Euan isn’t. 

10 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

One lowland league selection that surprised me was Euan Henderson against East Kilbride. I thought our outfield players in the LL were supposed to be under-20s (ie born 2003 or later), except that one could be U-21, which Euan isn’t. 

That intrigued mee too. I had a brief conversation with John McLaughlan at one of the early games at Rosewell and he seemed to suggest that it was U22. However Euan was already 22 by that time, so it still didn't make sense.  I wonder if he was getting things mixed up with the SPFL's Challenge Cup rules on overage players.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

It’s all a bit vague in the absence of a published “rule”. Maybe it’s just a gentlemen’s agreement, in the form of a letter of intent to the LL board? It seems pretty reasonable that Lewis Neilson can’t play again in the LL; maybe less so in the case of Connor Smith whose 5 first team appearances have all been as a sub and total only 100 minutes or so. In any event, for the game against Broomhill, both are unavailable due to Scotland U-21 duty, as are Liam MacFarlane and Finlay Pollock (Scotland U-19).

See that's the thing I couldn't work out as I'm sure Smith has had 4 sub appearances although 2 of them have been in europe and I was understanding it was 5 first team appearances. 

Finlay Pollock made his first Scotland U19 appearance this afternoon, coming on as a sub with a whole 5 mins left in a 0-2 defeat to Croatia. Liam McFarlane was an unused sub.

Hearts U18s play Dundee Utd tomorrow at the Oriam, 2pm ko.  Will probably be a young side with the B Team game on Friday night and in the wake of international callups.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***** The Hearts B super thread - Liam Fox confirmed as coach ******