National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

RMT have feck all to do with Labour.  

Yip they're non-affiliated. A point missed by the right wing media and anyone who'll have you believe that exercising your right to industrial action is a bad thing. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

manaliveits105
38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Isn't the mediator normally ACAS?

correct but this is another bloody tories thread and doesn’t suit the narrative 

no mention of the SG role up here either please 

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Works both ways really and not specifically this strike but if unions are being unreasonable should they be allowed to bring the transport in this country to a halt ? 

Are the unions being unreasonable? Is it not the employer who has let it get to the point the worker feels their only choice is withdrawing their labour.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Yip they're non-affiliated. A point missed by the right wing media and anyone who'll have you believe that exercising your right to industrial action is a bad thing. 

I'm in full support of the workers from across the UK on wages that can't allow you to live.

I don't understand why folk are angry about folk wanting more money, especially when share holders are bleeding the place dry. It's sickening what we do to each other.

We must come together and make life worth living, not work to make others rich, while after you pay your bills you need to beg for help to eat. 

Let's get one thing straight, The UK government don't give a feck about anyone, only their fortune. Labour need to come out fighting and get themselves on tv, radio and the Frontline, supporting every worker in this country. Shout it loud and proud Labour and you might make people put you back in power. Stop being cowardly on everything.

19 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Unfortunately the one true thing in life is we're all getting the boaby one way or another. 

You don't need to push back though 😉

That we can agree on. 👍

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm in full support of the workers from across the UK on wages that can't allow you to live.

I don't understand why folk are angry about folk wanting more money, especially when share holders are bleeding the place dry. It's sickening what we do to each other.

We must come together and make life worth living, not work to make others rich, while after you pay your bills you need to beg for help to eat. 

Let's get one thing straight, The UK government don't give a feck about anyone, only their fortune. Labour need to come out fighting and get themselves on tv, radio and the Frontline, supporting every worker in this country. Shout it loud and proud Labour and you might make people put you back in power. Stop being cowardly on everything.

Spot on.

12 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Are the unions being unreasonable? Is it not the employer who has let it get to the point the worker feels their only choice is withdrawing their labour.

As I said I wasn’t specifically talking about this strike. Unreasonableness is all about options I suppose. Take the working on a Sunday nonsense. Surely in this day and age we can all agree if you work in certain sectors working on a Sunday is just another working day. 

SectionDJambo
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

As I said I wasn’t specifically talking about this strike. Unreasonableness is all about options I suppose. Take the working on a Sunday nonsense. Surely in this day and age we can all agree if you work in certain sectors working on a Sunday is just another working day. 

Up to the point that I retired a couple of years ago, employees in Scotland  had the rignt to opt out of Sunday working, even if working Sundays was in their original contract. Of course, the employer doesn't then have to offer another contracted day to the employee. The employee would just be working a shift less every week.

Sunday working has to have some incentive or it's difficult to have enough staff to run the business.

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not if it breaks the lifestyle you've become accustomed to. Nice lot of guaranteed overtime against having floating permanent shifts to cover as part of normal working week.

Double standards though. When it's UK strikes, it's Tories fault.

When it's ScotRail and Scottish government strikes, it's not Scottish government fault, it's previous management.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Be issuing visas soon for non UK rail workers and sell it to the Brexit coastal home front. As long as it's not them. 

Yes, certainly up until then. They all mentioned the wage increase being below inflation,so not an actual pay rise.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The distribution of wealth globally, but specifically in the UK, is a massive scandal. And it will only get worse in this climate unless people start fronting the government up time and time again

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I totally support the strikes. Country is a mess and the government are doing nothing credible or meaningful about any of it. More people need to start causing them a headache.

This  :thumbs_up:

The Mighty Thor
48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

A great point raised this morning on radio was this. Johnson and his MP's voted through an 'inflation busting' pay rise for themselves. Meanwhile everyone else must take 3% or so cos we don't want inflation to go up now do we?

Oh and they're greeting their eyes out about price hikes at the HoC dining rooms and bars, which are subsidised by mugs like you and me.

il Duce McTarkin
55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The distribution of wealth globally, but specifically in the UK, is a massive scandal. And it will only get worse in this climate unless people start fronting the government up time and time again

Good posting. 

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A great point raised this morning on radio was this. Johnson and his MP's voted through an 'inflation busting' pay rise for themselves. Meanwhile everyone else must take 3% or so cos we don't want inflation to go up now do we?

Oh and they're greeting their eyes out about price hikes at the HoC dining rooms and bars, which are subsidised by mugs like you and me.

They should have to pay for everything, the freeloaders. I wouldn't put it past some SNP Mps enjoying their WM bonanza, anaw. They all must think we're buttoned up the back.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Thought the MP's had accepted 2.7 to be honest

Edited by Riccarton3

fabienleclerq
46 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not that simple though.

If your employer wants you to start working a Sunday there needs to be a financial incentive imo.

Also safety critical staff on 4 day weeks,one week you are early the next lates. They need 12 hours between shifts so Sundays are generally used as a buffer. So changing to working Sundays would require more staff etc.

highlandjambo3
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There was a question on the chase last week global wealth….something like:

”what number of the richest people in the world have more wealth that the remainder of the world population” (or something like that)

answers:

a. 48           b.  480.          c.  4800

The answer was 48…….WTF……..48 people have more money than the other 7.7 billion combined………..run that past yourself a few times…….unbelievable.

fabienleclerq
35 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not if it breaks the lifestyle you've become accustomed to. Nice lot of guaranteed overtime against having floating permanent shifts to cover as part of normal working week.

Double standards though. When it's UK strikes, it's Tories fault.

When it's ScotRail and Scottish government strikes, it's not Scottish government fault, it's previous management.

Who are you aiming that at? Think you'll find most people involved blamed the Scottish government. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

”what number of the richest people in the world have more wealth that the remainder of the world population” (or something like that)

answers:

The answer was 48…….WTF……..48 people have more money than the other 7.7 billion combined………..run that past yourself a few times…….unbelievable.

And you can bet these people won't be wanting to give any if their wealth up. Then there's Putin and others who have their stolen wealth hidden away from prying eyes.

What they actually need it for is a mystery. They actually earn more than they can spend, even accounting for the excessive purchases of yachts, islands, planes and the rest.

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Thought the MP's had accepted 2.7 to be honest

3% of 85000 , compared to 3% of 20000 isn't really fair.  Not a position to lecture folk from.(Not you, bud) And the folk doing the lecturing, have two jobs being in government and an MP, plus whatever they do and don't disclose from their lobbyist mates.

highlandjambo3
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They also have to spend a certain number of days per month out of their constituency in parliament…….1st class travel, food/accommodation expenses…..second homes in London etc…..

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Who are you aiming that at? Think you'll find most people involved blamed the Scottish government. 

Read back on here and the other rail thread and the usual suspects were at pains to absolve them from any responsibility.

4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

answers:

I heard something like that, bud. Money rules the world.  

Aye, but we Cannae tax them, cause they'll no invest, anymair. It's absolutely disgraceful that folk are so poor, they turn to drugs, drink, crime and suicide. And these people pop the champagne. :(

Strong unionization is a way of encouraging levelling up and creating the high wage economy. But not the route the Tories want to take, obviously. 

Edited by Riccarton3

Energy prices up, fuel prices up, food prices up, etc...etc... :whistling:

Working class people which this hammers the most, go on strike for a pay rise to ease the cost of living. :yadayada:

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Energy prices up, fuel prices up, food prices up, etc...etc... :whistling:

Working class people which this hammers the most, go on strike for a pay rise to ease the cost of living. :yadayada:

The more wages go up the higher inflation gets leading to more of the above. Something's got to give 

Ainsley Harriott

Going by the news seemed most people have just reverted back to work form home like the pandemic. Don't think this had the crippling effect the RMT wanted 

"We're building a glorious, high-wage post-Brexit economy!!!! HUZZAH!"

"Can we have a pay rise?"

"No you fecking cannot, you commie bassas"

:gok:

Edited by Cade

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

3% of 85000 , compared to 3% of 20000 isn't really fair.  Not a position to lecture folk from.(Not you, bud) And the folk doing the lecturing, have two jobs being in government and an MP, plus whatever they do and don't disclose from their lobbyist mates.

Some also top up salaries by employing aides, usually wife or kids, to their staff and paying them on average £28k per year, plus expenses. Costs an extra £3m per year.

7 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Going by the news seemed most people have just reverted back to work form home like the pandemic. Don't think this had the crippling effect the RMT wanted 

Hospitality ****ed. The knock on effects are there. Don't kid yourself. Not an ideal scenario, obviously, but act accordingly

24 minutes ago, Cade said:

"We're building a glorious, high-wage post-Brexit economy!!!! HUZZAH!"

"Can we have a pay rise?"

"No you fecking cannot, you commie bassas"

:gok:

Old Tory from the 80s forget the name, always wore suede shoes, says: oh, that (high wage economy) was just for the Conference. I wouldn't read anything  by it just now. 

Assume its context was to justify the immigration policy at Conference. British jobs for British benefit drainers

Edited by Riccarton3

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Mon the train drivers. **** the Tories. The Tories have destroyed the UK. 

I don't think this strike is by train drivers as I'm sure earlier in this thread those who work on the railways confirmed drivers union is aslef rather than rmt

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

I don't think this strike is by train drivers as I'm sure earlier in this thread those who work on the railways confirmed drivers union is aslef rather than rmt

Correct the train drivers aren’t on strike although ballot papers are being sent out at the moment.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Stop clogging up thread with facts. 

Malinga the Swinga
13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Mon the train drivers. **** the Tories. The Tories have destroyed the UK. 

Have Scottish government destroyed ScotRail then?

82,000 rail workers getting a moderate pay rise = dangerous and inflationary.

15 million pensioners getting an inflation-matching increase = aye nae bother.

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

The media continuing to make themselves look silly:

She’s a nippy boot!!!

aye never answerd it to her satisfaction alright.

Why didn’t she just walk outside the station she’s standing in and ask the question?

dobmisterdobster
11 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They already get paid more than general public 

Railway usage collapsed due to Covid. It was bailed out by taxpayers. It is still recovering and passenger numbers have yet to return to normal.

They think now is the time to strike? Delusional.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Railway usage collapsed due to Covid. It was bailed out by taxpayers. It is still recovering and passenger numbers have yet to return to normal.

They think now is the time to strike? Delusional.

Exactly 

Seymour M Hersh

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not far left enough for them eh? 

Seymour M Hersh
32 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

The media continuing to make themselves look silly:

That old trout makes herself look stupid every single day. 

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They already get paid more than general public 

Do they?

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

:thumb: cheers pal.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Have Scottish government destroyed ScotRail then?

Least they're not ****ing Tories. 

Edited by Cruyff