National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

highlandjambo3
5 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Agency staff  to the rescue by mid July did I hear?

Phew. I'm visiting family in August and don't want to take the car. The Lotus can be a bit cramped for a long drive

A bit of a rock question from me but agency staff?, I’m confused, I heard this on the news…..agency staff from where?  Are their a pile of train drivers sitting at home with nothing to do or (more likely), other train operators in the country will chip in to help out.  If the latter I’d assume they’d want a huge bonus and will, might have a knock on effect to their normal service they currently provide.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here but, this could back fire on the rail service.  If people are forced to find an alternative travel means they might just stick with that method rather than go back to trusting train operators again….I.e……someone buys an electric bike for their 40mile commute……people car sharing may just stick with what they have etc.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

Think I'm going to have to join this rail agency and just work ad-hoc wherever I feel like. I'm assuming they'll give me a pilotman for every route I don't know (all of them) 😂😂

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thor does though cause it's example of Tories helping their mates. 

Yes, I know it was all done under Labour government but that doesn't suit the narrative.

It doesn't suit your narrative as you've been greeting your eyes out about tax payers cash for weeks yet you're blasé on money being doled out to guys who tanked the economy.

Iceland had the right idea. They banged them all up. 

Dennis Reynolds
34 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Think I'm going to have to join this rail agency and just work ad-hoc wherever I feel like. I'm assuming they'll give me a pilotman for every route I don't know (all of them) 😂😂

I did some agency work at Waverly years ago over the Christmas period whilst at Uni. They never let me drive a train but I did all the bitch work. Was very well paid tbh. Would recommend.

Pele_Is_God

Stupid question but I'm meant to be heading to London on the 3rd of July for he stones gig. Is there a big possibilty of there being a strike that day? Just before I start looking at flights...

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Stupid question but I'm meant to be heading to London on the 3rd of July for he stones gig. Is there a big possibilty of there being a strike that day? Just before I start looking at flights...

They need to give 14 days notice I believe, but that would need to be confirmed.

You would know by end of this week if more strikes planned but going by tone of discussion, no sign of resolution in short term.

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

You should also look at going by bus as an alternative.

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Shapps has a lot to say for a ***** that doesn't want to get involved.

Aye 3 names is a piece of work .

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You should also look at going by bus as an alternative.

I did bus years ago, weekend of Band Aid. It's pretty cheap, reasonably comfortable but it takes an age to get there.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I did bus years ago, weekend of Band Aid. It's pretty cheap, reasonably comfortable but it takes an age to get there.

I think it’s about 10 hours.

Not ideal.

1 hour ago, Pele_Is_God said:

No chance of a strike on the 3rd of July.

Malinga the Swinga
18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I think it’s about 10 hours.

Not ideal.

It's a long time, especially if you get stuck next to someone who's a bit heavy or whose hygiene ain't the best.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's a long time, especially if you get stuck next to someone who's a bit heavy or whose hygiene ain't the best.

That’s true.

Maybe travelling overnight would be better if you can sleep.

Natrative in the news and the media is awful. All about innocent folks that cant get to work, grannies 90th birthday celebrations or forced to drive to get an important job interview/hospital appointment etc etc etc.

Poor public - Evil railway workers. 

Waiting on the news story about the railway staffs pay, terms, conditions etc. the real story. 

Right wing facist news outlets dont care about the workers. Theyre telling you who to hate. Again. Protect the profits and the dividend is what their headlines should read!!!

43 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Natrative in the news and the media is awful. All about innocent folks that cant get to work, grannies 90th birthday celebrations or forced to drive to get an important job interview/hospital appointment etc etc etc.

Poor public - Evil railway workers. 

Waiting on the news story about the railway staffs pay, terms, conditions etc. the real story. 

Right wing facist news outlets dont care about the workers. Theyre telling you who to hate. Again. Protect the profits and the dividend is what their headlines should read!!!

Yeh they are trying to play on the heartstrings just now eh.

What  about when they cancel a train or trains at the drop of a hat.

they don’t give a shit about the hospital appointments, kids getting to and from school, grannies 90th birthdays etc then do they.

the only thing rail companies give a shit  about is making money for the shareholders 

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s true.

Maybe travelling overnight would be better if you can sleep.

I used to do the London bus when I was heading to Brighton a lot. Get the last one of the night if you can sleep on a bus and you get into London in the morning. I could leave Edinburgh at 11.30pm and be in Brighton having lunch with a beer the next day.

I support the rail workers but rather selfishly it’s a mates funeral in Dundee tomorrow that would have people from all over Scotland at it but some are struggling to work out alternative transport. But any transport action will always throw up stories like this. 

The Mighty Thor

Great paper the Nazi. Reporting that Labour MPs are on the picket lines of strikes that don't start til tomorrow 😂

A shit rag for half wits. 

7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Great paper the Nazi. Reporting that Labour MPs are on the picket lines of strikes that don't start til tomorrow 😂

A shit rag for half wits. 

You saying there won’t be labour mp’s on the picket line ? 

8 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh they are trying to play on the heartstrings just now eh.

What  about when they cancel a train or trains at the drop of a hat.

they don’t give a shit about the hospital appointments, kids getting to and from school, grannies 90th birthdays etc then do they.

the only thing rail companies give a shit  about is making money for the shareholders 

Indeed. 
Shower. And so are the presstitutes!

15 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Labour will be ordered by the unions to attend whilst Sir Beer Starmer blames the Tories  

Who should they blame? The rail workers for not accepting job cuts, shit pay & conditions? 

26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Wont be any tories on it. They will be busy explaining their faux outrage at the industrial action to the BBC before hitting the free bar in Westminster. 

JudyJudyJudy

The right to strike should always be an option in industrial relations 

8167ACB6-E945-4893-8AB9-B777335A18E3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Wont be any tories on it. They will be busy explaining their faux outrage at the industrial action to the BBC before hitting the free bar in Westminster. 

Any difference between that and the labour mp’s faux support and just doing what they are told by puppet masters ? 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Most of the working tights we have started from workers unions or MP’s from a workers union background. 
Health & Safety

Holiday pay

SSP

Maternity leave/pay

We cant allow corporations to erode hard fought workers rights or it’ll be a race to the bottom. 

JudyJudyJudy
54 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Most of the working tights we have started from workers unions or MP’s from a workers union background. 
Health & Safety

Holiday pay

SSP

Maternity leave/pay

We cant allow corporations to erode hard fought workers rights or it’ll be a race to the bottom. 

Agreed. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Aye mate. That's the obvious flaw in that front page which came out before the strike even started. 

Do you ever see what's going on?

So that shit-rag hits the breakfast table of your average racist/xenophobe/gammon and they're going to be raging at something that hasn't happened. 

Exactly as Dacre and Rothermere and Johnson want you to be. On their teat. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Watching sky news and it's good to see 100% of the commuters that were asked support strike action. Solidarity.

42 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Aye mate. That's the obvious flaw in that front page which came out before the strike even started. 

Do you ever see what's going on?

So that shit-rag hits the breakfast table of your average racist/xenophobe/gammon and they're going to be raging at something that hasn't happened. 

Exactly as Dacre and Rothermere and Johnson want you to be. On their teat. 

Ah the old 20/20 vision that nobody can see except the Tory haters. I’d rather be on the teat than hanging off the end of his boaby Thor. 😂 

The joys of being a mug. 😊

Be issuing visas soon for non UK rail workers and sell it to the Brexit coastal home front. As long as it's not them. 

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Watching sky news and it's good to see 100% of the commuters that were asked support strike action. Solidarity.

Really? Maybe they see through the emotive shite being peddled by a govt and its press. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I totally support the strikes. Country is a mess and the government are doing nothing credible or meaningful about any of it. More people need to start causing them a headache.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Really? Maybe they see through the emotive shite being peddled by a govt and its press. 

Nobody takes politicians seriously. And if you know anything about the sort who work for the Daily Mail etc, they’re privileged people who won’t ever rely on unions so therefore don’t care about them. The idea of the Daily Mail speaking for ‘the people’ is pure comedy 

Does anybody think the full extent of a right to strike should be removed? The Tories want to change the law so that a min level of service remains at all times which only weakens workers position. The erosion of rights just creeps along, a dehumanization of public service work whilst others rake it in until they **** up and are bailed out. And round we go.

Edited by Riccarton3

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Of course. The right to strike is everyone's to choose. 

There is no right of employment though. If your industry changes, so does your role. If use of your industry goes up, then jobs are advertised, filled and workers work.

If use of your industry falls, then jobs are reduced and workers are made redundant and are not happy.

Does that sound right?

9 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Does anybody think the full extent of a right to strike should be removed? The Tories want to change the law so that a min level of service remains at all times which only weakens workers position. The erosion of rights just creeps along, a dehumanization of public service work whilst others rake it in until they **** up and are bailed out. And round we go.

Works both ways really and not specifically this strike but if unions are being unreasonable should they be allowed to bring the transport in this country to a halt ? 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Works both ways really and not specifically this strike but if unions are being unreasonable should they be allowed to bring the transport in this country to a halt ? 

Where's the mediator?

The potential mediator is making public statements daily with, supposedly, zip me up the back, no direction being given to the employer.

Folk are seeing through it, had the wool pulled over enough. A tired drained population isn't angry with workers and this govt is low on bonus points.

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Where's the mediator?

Isn't the mediator normally ACAS?

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

God knows John. Observers think Shapps should be in there as Transport Secretary. But you'd have to conclude he starts from a position of clear bias given his So obvious personal need to sound like  the big man to hide the fact he is ****ing useless so how can that be beneficial. 

What's ACAS stand for again?

Edited by Riccarton3

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Both sides need to request ACAS involvement. Once you have them involved, you have to almost agree that their recommendations will be adopted or else what's the point of them.

Have union and management agreed to do this yet?

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

God knows John. Observers think Shapps should be in there as Transport Secretary. But you'd have to conclude he starts from a position of clear bias given his So obvious personal need to sound like  the big man to hide the fact he is ****ing useless so how can that be beneficial. 

What's ACAS stand for again?

Advisory conciliation and arbitration service

Shapps: I'll show P&O. This country has employment laws. You can't just treat workers like this.

Johnson: Give it a rest, Grant. 

4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Labour will be ordered by the unions to attend whilst Sir Beer Starmer blames the Tories  

RMT have feck all to do with Labour.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I totally support the strikes. Country is a mess and the government are doing nothing credible or meaningful about any of it. More people need to start causing them a headache.

:asiancat: :clap: 👍

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

I’d rather be on the teat than hanging off the end of his boaby Thor. 😂 

Unfortunately the one true thing in life is we're all getting the boaby one way or another. 

You don't need to push back though 😉