Johnson confidence vote is on

Geoff Kilpatrick

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Quite refreshing to see two members of same party have debate where they're allowed to express differing opinions.

Can't see SNP allowing anything like this to happen. After all, they're not allowed to own different opinions, never mind express them on TV.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spot on

38 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair comment 

:laugh2: even in a Tory leadership thread! Obsessed much chaps?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• ri Alban

• jack D and coke

• Victorian

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Quite refreshing to see two members of same party have debate where they're allowed to express differing opinions.

Can't see SNP allowing anything like this to happen. After all, they're not allowed to own different opinions, never mind express them on TV.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spot on

45 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair comment 

These folks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62221445

A senior Tory MP has been suspended from the parliamentary party after he missed a vote of confidence in Boris Johnson's government.

Tobias Ellwood has had the whip removed and will not be able to vote in the Conservative leadership election.

Mr Ellwood said he was "sorry" to lose the whip but argued he was unable to return from a meeting in Moldova.

The government won the vote and the prime minister is due to continue in his role until a successor is elected.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Obsessed much chaps?

How many Tory threads are on the first page of the Shed Smithee :biggrin2:

9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair comment 

It really isn't. But I'm not going to explain it just because you don't understand. :laugh:

Unknown user
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

How many Tory threads are on the first page of the Shed Smithee :biggrin2:

Not enough, how obsessed are you lot with the SNP?

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Smithee said:

Not enough, how obsessed are you lot with the SNP?

Now, now @Smithee the Nuckster isn't a Tory.... apparently!

:groundhog:

"Debate to express differing opinions" = vacuous game of finding anything to say that might gain favour from the prejudices,  personal interests and redundant ideologies of a group of people not much larger than the population of Dundee. 

The Mighty Thor
16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Lord Cruddas (one of BoJo's appointees to the Lords) thinks Boris should be allowed to stay as PM.

10,000 of the 160,000 or so members want him to continue.

It's a cult. 😂

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Now, now @Smithee the Nuckster isn't a Tory.... apparently!

:groundhog:

I don't support any political party Konrad.

I've voted for them all and they've all pissed me off at one time or another.

You'll find that I post more SNP critique than support for the Tories

Nucky Thompson
33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

how obsessed are you lot with the SNP?

Is an unhealthy hatred for them obsessed enough :biggrin2:

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Her plan is utterly reckless.

Certainly could be.  A lot depends on just what is delivered in actuality from the swag bag of promises made before she gets her feet under the table.  Because we now live in the era when you can promise with impunity and deliver something entirely different on the premise of any kind of bullshit excuse not to deliver what was promised.  But there is a danger that tax cuts will become a regular resource to buy popularity in the run up to the next election.  Tax cuts that will overwhelming benefit the people not immediately in peril from the cost of living effects to come.  Unaffordable mortgage repayments,  much more difficult access to the housing ladder for first time buyers and increasingly persistent personal credit burdens await the plebs.

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Certainly could be.  A lot depends on just what is delivered in actuality from the swag bag of promises made before she gets her feet under the table.  Because we now live in the era when you can promise with impunity and deliver something entirely different on the premise of any kind of bullshit excuse not to deliver what was promised.  But there is a danger that tax cuts will become a regular resource to buy popularity in the run up to the next election.  Tax cuts that will overwhelming benefit the people not immediately in peril from the cost of living effects to come.  Unaffordable mortgage repayments,  much more difficult access to the housing ladder for first time buyers and increasingly persistent personal credit burdens await the plebs.

The potential impact on mortgage rates is a big red flag.

7% mortgage rates, potentially.

How many first-time buyers just simply could not get on the property ladder, and how many people would be defaulting on their payments. Scary stuff.

Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't support any political party Konrad.

I've voted for them all and they've all pissed me off at one time or another.

You'll find that I post more SNP critique than support for the Torie

Just joshing Nicky, I recall you saying that previously. :1eye:

3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

How many first-time buyers just simply could not get on the property ladder, and how many people would be defaulting on their payments. Scary stuff.

If done with a deft of touch the effect can actually dampen down inflation.  But the junta tend to resort to the half-niddry through a window method of doing things to buy the odd vote or two.  Plus we have the extraordinary matter of the immediate cost of living crisis and the spectre of unprecedented high inflation persisting year on year.

Unknown user
47 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Is an unhealthy hatred for them obsessed enough :biggrin2:

A healthy dislike is to be commended!

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I know that some economist suggested that as a possible income.  I don't quite get the reasoning behind the claim.

The normal response to high inflation is to raise interest rates. That is intended to increase the cost of credit and thus dampen demand, leading to lower prices.

Unfortunately this inflation spike is not consumer spending or wage driven.  It is the result of a rise in commodity prices.  People are already out of pocket and will be further out of pocket with further energy price increases.

The BOE is between a rock and a hard place.  It is being very tentative in the interest rate rises thus far, because of the risk of making the problem worse. Damping consumer demand by increasing interest rates will put even more pressure on the least well off and will drive us into a deeper recession. 

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Much better having a coronation eh boab. Salmond/Sturgeon or Blair/Brown, take your pick. 

I can’t recall a circus like this with tv debates and all manner of attached mud-slinging !

It’s a wind up.

It's all one big party political broadcast.

If you ever needed to know if the Tory party ARE the Establishment, it's been proven by this circus.

Edited by Cade

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I know that some economist suggested that as a possible income.  I don't quite get the reasoning behind the claim.

The normal response to high inflation is to raise interest rates. That is intended to increase the cost of credit and thus dampen demand, leading to lower prices.

Unfortunately this inflation spike is not consumer spending or wage driven.  It is the result of a rise in commodity prices.  People are already out of pocket and will be further out of pocket with further energy price increases.

The BOE is between a rock and a hard place.  It is being very tentative in the interest rate rises thus far, because of the risk of making the problem worse. Damping consumer demand by increasing interest rates will put even more pressure on the least well off and will drive us into a deeper recession. 

Correct.  The whole thing has the potential to be a bin fire that would eclipse anything this rabble has managed before.  We'll end up with the BoE having to react to the recklessness of the political vandals and it wont scratch the current inflation.  It will only keep a lid on it.  Meanwhile the fairytales about growth will come to nothing due to zero economic supply expansion being possible and most people finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.  

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Correct.  The whole thing has the potential to be a bin fire that would eclipse anything this rabble has managed before.  We'll end up with the BoE having to react to the recklessness of the political vandals and it wont scratch the current inflation.  It will only keep a lid on it.  Meanwhile the fairytales about growth will come to nothing due to zero economic supply expansion being possible and most people finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.  

I'm absolutely sure there are many around the Tory party that are not intoxicated with power that are sitting back thinking that this is probably not the Premiership to get.

Whoever goes in will be the one that presided over the biggest recession in living memory and quite likely civil unrest that will bring down the government. 

I can’t be the only one who cringes when they start trying to convince everyone of their relatability.

“I’m so common, I worked in my mums pharmacy.”

”oh yeah, well I went to a comprehensive school”

Reeks of desperation and doesn’t seem earnest at all.

Shooter McGavin

I’d rather it was Sunak who lands the job.

That is in no way an endorsement, I simply think he’s the least worst option.

Shooter McGavin
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sunak is at least economically competent. Truss is a fruitcake.

I wouldn’t trust Sunak to make my life any easier, but I would worry that Truss would make it a hell of a lot harder.

Jambos_1874
8 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’d rather it was Sunak who lands the job.

That is in no way an endorsement, I simply think he’s the least worst option.

I'm leaning towards that, although they are indeed both awful options. In fairness to Sunak, he does seem to stick to his guns on his policies and not change his position just because others i.e. most of the other candidates or even public opinion don't back it. Whether he is right is another matter.

He did seem better briefed than Truss, and better prepared for her arguments.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Shanks said no

This is the first time I have sat back and watched the pair of them. Sunak reminds me of Blair, way to smooth for my liking. However there is something not quite right about Truss, her body language is fascinating. She is indeed a human hand grenade.

Nucky Thompson

It definitely feels like a party political broadcast and publicity for the Tories

Seymour M Hersh
38 minutes ago, Boab said:

I can’t recall a circus like this with tv debates and all manner of attached mud-slinging !

It’s a wind up.

That's my point boab there wasn't any choices given to party members in either case. In both cases Labour and SNP members were presented with a fait accompli.  Whether you like it or not at least Conservative members were give a proper competition for the new leader. 

8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sunak is at least economically competent. 

:orly?: 
The chancellor that wrote off £4billion in fraudulently claimed furlough payments? 
The chancellor that wasted £11billion of taxpayer's money by not insuring against interest rate rises during quantitative easing?
That guy?

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Was Martin vocal in his dissatisfaction when Brown became PM? Without a challenge? I'd ask the same question about Sturgeon but I doubt he gave a toss. 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That's my point boab there wasn't any choices given to party members in either case. In both cases Labour and SNP members were presented with a fait accompli.  Whether you like it or not at least Conservative members were give a proper competition for the new leader. 

It stinks, is my point.

It’s a well planned attempt to get the proles back onside after that arsehole was pushed out.

TV debates ? C’mon, guys, they’re pissing down your legs !

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

The chancellor that wrote off £4billion in fraudulently claimed furlough payments? 
The chancellor that wasted £11billion of taxpayer's money by not insuring against interest rate rises during quantitative easing?
That guy?

Everything is relative. However, in Sunak's defence, can you show me one government across the world that didn't waste some money in furlough? It was an emergency situation to get money out to keep people afloat. That some took advantage of that or abnormally benefitted is no great surprise.

45 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was Martin vocal in his dissatisfaction when Brown became PM? Without a challenge? I'd ask the same question about Sturgeon but I doubt he gave a toss. 

?
Brown was a planned and consensual successor to Blair and continued with the manifesto both had contributed to and both had been elected on.

The point of that tweet is these two are at absolute loggerheads on the future direction. They can't both be representing the 2019 manifesto. What is their mandate for their new approach?

joondalupjambo

What is confusing now is why there are so many Poles taking a view on how Truss and Sunak performed during last night's debate.  I thought we were out of the EU 😀

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, RobboM said:

?
Brown was a planned and consensual successor to Blair and continued with the manifesto both had contributed to and both had been elected on.

The point of that tweet is these two are at absolute loggerheads on the future direction. They can't both be representing the 2019 manifesto. What is their mandate for their new approach?

Ha ha okay then. 

9 hours ago, Cade said:

That guy?

A lot of that £4 billion isn’t there and would need to be claimed from people and businesses who don’t have it. I can already see your posts if the government pursued these people. 🙄

One thing is still clear, Rishi is the only one capable of getting us back on track. I hope people don’t fall for the tax cut bollox Truss is proposing. Now is not the time to cut tax. 

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

One thing is still clear, Rishi is the only one capable of getting us back on track. I hope people don’t fall for the tax cut bollox Truss is proposing. Now is not the time to cut tax. 

Probably, but the Daily Mail, Daily Express, ERG and most of the Conservative membership have it in for him because he “betrayed” the golden boy who’s lies, poor judgment,  and behaviour are seemingly acceptable to them.

25 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Probably, but the Daily Mail, Daily Express, ERG and most of the Conservative membership have it in for him because he “betrayed” the golden boy who’s lies, poor judgment,  and behaviour are seemingly acceptable to them.

Everyone is flawed is the defence for some re Johnson, I hear, yet this goes out the window when something  utterly trivial occurs in a TV debate. The hypnotic effect Johnson has on some Conservatives should be a ****ing embarrassment to them

Edited by Riccarton3

22 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Everyone is flawed is the defence for some re Johnson, I hear, yet this goes out the window when something  utterly trivial occurs in a TV debate. The hypnotic effect Johnson has on some Conservatives should be a ****ing embarrassment to them

These people aren't susceptible to the emotion of embarrassment.  Johnson is still believed to be of electoral value and that's really all it boils down to.  

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

These people aren't susceptible to the emotion of embarrassment.  Johnson is still believed to be of electoral value and that's really all it boils down to.  

He is though, that's the ridiculous thing about.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

He is though, that's the ridiculous thing about.

He is for many voters.  There's a certain amount of 'skill' there with his style of delivery.  It cuts through and disguises the lies,  bullshit and lack of substance and detail.  His leadership and behaviour reached a tipping point where MPs acted in the belief that the electoral value he has was eroded by the litany of scandals going on.  It's no surprise at all that part of the party would be having second thoughts,  now that a certain amount of revisionism has taken place regarding his demise,  as well as the calibre of his likely replacement is now laid bare.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

They aren’t very keen on his colour either . Let’s not forget that 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They aren’t very keen on his colour either . Let’s not forget that 

Oh....shots fired!