Doidge

Melkersen

Bojang

O'Connor

Squad of 35 as things stand.

---------

That's ****ing shit :laugh2:

Jesus Christ. 

Is it us that needs the big squad for the coming year or them???

Never seen so many average players on a list in all my days. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Naisys Tackle

• vegas-voss

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Jesus Christ. 

Is it us that needs the big squad for the coming year or them???

Never seen so many average players on a list in all my days. 

Tam McMinus(IQ) and his acolytes will be thinking there is bags of "potential" which just needs unlocked in that squad.  The truth is it all looks very poorly scouted longshots.

And even pulling together a bunch of very well scouted kids and bringing them in to Scottish football like some movie script... has it ever worked?

Hey, we may all be wrong on here.  Maybe.  Feels bloody unlikely.

The most likely thing is they'll click every 10 games and think it's a new dawn, but they'll do the same as last season and fluke enough wins and draws to keep them teatering around Livi and the likes and probably always quite safe unless they collapse.  It's more likely they finish 11th or 12th than 3rd or 4th, and I think that'd be very hard to argue with at this point.  They're up against seasoned SPFL prem players all around them.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

It's batshit is what it is.

What's particularly mental is I don't see many of their own 18-20yearold kids in that 35 (bearing in mind I may not recognise names, but maybe 3 or 4?).  If you have a 35 man squad, you'd think 10 of them would be academy.  Now we don't have millions of our kids in our squad either, but we're running with 24 plus support thereafter from the youths.

And there are admittedly some decent players in there.  You know, Cadden, Clarke (maybe), Henderson (maybe), erm, that's maybe it actually.  Doig has potential if used correctly.  A few who are definite solid prem types like Stevenson, McGinn, Magennis etc.  Not spectacular but the guys you need in any good squad.

But it's very very thin on quality and extemely thin on leadership.  Who leaves will be very interesting. 

I'm spending more time than ever commenting on Hibs, generally they're a background character in my life, but I honestly think what's happening over there is fascinating, especially against the backdrop of our VR years, their behaviour during admin and even their lording the last few years thinking they've cracked it and overtaken us, when in truth we were just having an on-pitch wobble whilst setting up industry leading backroom and infrastructure, and still beating them whilst we couldn't beat anyone else!  And now we're back above them and MILES ahead in every department.  It's genuinely intriguing to me to see what happens over the next year or two over there.  I know some good Hibbies but my sympathy will be scant to say the least!

That squad list has five players who are academy kids. By my count, of that squad of 35 players, 17 are aged 21 or under. Hibs are going all out for young players (as I imagine Ron Gordon sees them as a way to make money.) You would imagine Hibs will be sending a lot out on loan.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Tam McMinus(IQ) and his acolytes will be thinking there is bags of "potential" which just needs unlocked in that squad.  The truth is it all looks very poorly scouted longshots.

And even pulling together a bunch of very well scouted kids and bringing them in to Scottish football like some movie script... has it ever worked?

Hey, we may all be wrong on here.  Maybe.  Feels bloody unlikely.

The most likely thing is they'll click every 10 games and think it's a new dawn, but they'll do the same as last season and fluke enough wins and draws to keep them teatering around Livi and the likes and probably always quite safe unless they collapse.  It's more likely they finish 11th or 12th than 3rd or 4th, and I think that'd be very hard to argue with at this point.  They're up against seasoned SPFL prem players all around them.

They’ll get bullied. Take Melkerson at tynecastle as an example, Halkett hauled him about like an empty tracksuit. 

Mitchell, takes one hit against Arbroath and is out for three months.

Magennis, plays one game, takes a hit and misses the next ten.

It’s gonna keep happening. 

Absolute Scenes
57 minutes ago, dougal said:

I'm not saying this guy is any good but he's a reserve player for a team who consistently make the champions league group stages yet we are hoping beyond hope to sign a player who's contracted to a club who were almost relegated last year and had played only one game for them. Now he might turn out to be rubbish, but slating a club for buying a reserve player is a little hypocritical when that's exactly what we're trying to do.

are you having a laugh?? How in the hell are we hypocritical, and which player are you referring to that we are trying to sign?

Everything Hibs do, i will continue to laugh my breeks off because they are the gift that keeps on giving. He may well turn out to be great, and there will be the same roasters on here syaing "aw why didnt we sign him"  - because our market and signing approach isnt to sign 15+ players in the hopes that at least one comes off. He's played next to zero first team football. Choulay, Cathro era signing, was once in Barcelona B team. That tells you all you need to know about players in reserve teams in this day and age. 

Boyces beard
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

It's batshit is what it is.

What's particularly mental is I don't see many of their own 18-20yearold kids in that 35 (bearing in mind I may not recognise names, but maybe 3 or 4?).  If you have a 35 man squad, you'd think 10 of them would be academy.  Now we don't have millions of our kids in our squad either, but we're running with 24 plus support thereafter from the youths.

And there are admittedly some decent players in there.  You know, Cadden, Clarke (maybe), Henderson (maybe), erm, that's maybe it actually.  Doig has potential if used correctly.  A few who are definite solid prem types like Stevenson, McGinn, Magennis etc.  Not spectacular but the guys you need in any good squad.

But it's very very thin on quality and extemely thin on leadership.  Who leaves will be very interesting. 

I'm spending more time than ever commenting on Hibs, generally they're a background character in my life, but I honestly think what's happening over there is fascinating, especially against the backdrop of our VR years, their behaviour during admin and even their lording the last few years thinking they've cracked it and overtaken us, when in truth we were just having an on-pitch wobble whilst setting up industry leading backroom and infrastructure, and still beating them whilst we couldn't beat anyone else!  And now we're back above them and MILES ahead in every department.  It's genuinely intriguing to me to see what happens over the next year or two over there.  I know some good Hibbies but my sympathy will be scant to say the least!

Your spot on mate, it really is interesting viewing from the outside. The whole ethos of there club right now is a scattergun approach to signing youngsters(selected by Ron's sons recruitment team) with a view to making millions in the future from the sale of said youngsters. 

Its like this Ian Gordon guy is playing real life football manager with hibs while daddy sits back and looks on. 

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

That squad list has five players who are academy kids. By my count, of that squad of 35 players, 17 are aged 21 or under. Hibs are going all out for young players (as I imagine Ron Gordon sees them as a way to make money.) You would imagine Hibs will be sending a lot out on loan.

Your bracketed part is the crux of the matter.  And actually focusing on one or two very well procured kids in a solid team is the way to make money.

Absolute Scenes
39 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I don’t see us rushing to sign B team

players with no first team experience. 

I get the crux point but Hibs are signing way too many players that are 19/20/21 years old to come in and hit the ground running. 

That’s a huge risk, especially in Scottish football with it’s physically demanding nature. 

it was a bit of silly post anyway. How any Hearts fan can worry about who Hibs are signing after the season we've had and the season they've had is beyond me. Their whole transfer process is absolutely screwed. Lee Johnson "we've been monitoring for a while" 2 weeks into his job. Aye right mate

5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They’ll get bullied. Take Melkerson at tynecastle as an example, Halkett hauled him about like an empty tracksuit. 

Mitchell, takes one hit against Arbroath and is out for three months.

Magennis, plays one game, takes a hit and misses the next ten.

It’s gonna keep happening. 

100%.  I may be wrong, never met the lad, but I think the old "cauld night in Dingwall" could apply to Jair and his wee school team pals.

3 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Your spot on mate, it really is interesting viewing from the outside. The whole ethos of there club right now is a scattergun approach to signing youngsters(selected by Ron's sons recruitment team) with a view to making millions in the future from the sale of said youngsters. 

Its like this Ian Gordon guy is playing real life football manager with hibs while daddy sits back and looks on. 

I very much get the impression Ron regrets getting involved.  Someone I know who knows a bit seems to think he's serious about wanting out already.

Now did he think it'd be easy?  Did he think it'd simply be more fun?  Is it a Billy Madison scenario where he just needed an outlet for his goofball son, leading to ups and downs, slapstick hilarity but a real feelgood ending?  Who knows, but it has descended to regret very early I'd suggest and he owns every fibre of them.

The on-field is interesting, but especially when tied to the ownership etc.  If they go down, and they might... does he ride off into the sunset with a cheque for the land?

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

100%.  I may be wrong, never met the lad, but I think the old "cauld night in Dingwall" could apply to Jair and his wee school team pals.

Can you imagine the likes of Ash Taylor marking them at Rugby park 😂

would be like a Da taking his son out for a walk 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Your bracketed part is the crux of the matter.  And actually focusing on one or two very well procured kids in a solid team is the way to make money.

Yup. I think you can have clubs that are youth oriented and do fine and make money from it. Dundee United are a good example of this, they have a good mix of experience and youth. But its something that has developed over years, not just chucking in tons of young players and hoping it will work. I would also argue that Dundee United are also more likely to go through cycles with these players. 

tartofmidlothian

Aberdeen kid Dean Campbell has gone to Stevenage in League 2 on loan for the season. Interesting one that, he seemed set to be a big player for the sheep.

RustyRightPeg
30 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Aberdeen kid Dean Campbell has gone to Stevenage in League 2 on loan for the season. Interesting one that, he seemed set to be a big player for the sheep.

Bizarre move. 

I liked him at Tynecastle early in the season last year. Sure he set up the equaliser. 

32 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Having worked and resided in Stevenage for a while all I would say is good luck!

3 hours ago, dougal said:

I'm not saying this guy is any good but he's a reserve player for a team who consistently make the champions league group stages yet we are hoping beyond hope to sign a player who's contracted to a club who were almost relegated last year and had played only one game for them. Now he might turn out to be rubbish, but slating a club for buying a reserve player is a little hypocritical when that's exactly what we're trying to do.

You make it sound like he is on the fringes of playing for them.He has never played a senior game and he is 21.He also on the face of it done much in the U23 side either.

jamboinglasgow

And Hibs are about to sign another youngster, this time 20 year old centre back Kyle McClelland who had just been released by Rangers.

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

And Hibs are about to sign another youngster, this time 20 year old centre back Kyle McClelland who had just been released by Rangers.

Type of player I wouldn’t be against us giving a year or two to and see what they have to offer. 

RustyRightPeg

Not really transfer news, but the owners of Man City are closing in on a deal to buy Palermo meaning it’ll be the 11th club they own across the world. 

Getting ridiculous now. 

Type of player I wouldn’t be against us giving a year or two to and see what they have to offer. 

He barely played for Falkirk last season.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, DB-14 said:

He barely played for Falkirk last season.

Doesn’t matter. With coaching & a fresh start you don’t know what these players could become. Look at Halkett, binned at 20 by rangers. 

I’m not saying he in particular would become a star, but there would be the odd one that could. 

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup. I think you can have clubs that are youth oriented and do fine and make money from it. Dundee United are a good example of this, they have a good mix of experience and youth. But its something that has developed over years, not just chucking in tons of young players and hoping it will work. I would also argue that Dundee United are also more likely to go through cycles with these players. 

For Hibs if this strategy works they’ll build a statue of Ron on Albion Road, it’ll reap the rewards and net him millions. However if it goes boobs skywards they’ll be left with a 35 man squad in the championship worth heehaw! it’s very much an all or nothing strategy, if it ends up nothing then Ron will punt the place for a few quid and disappear! I can’t help but think Ron is taking his advice from Craig Levein! 

jamboinglasgow

Not really transfer news, but the owners of Man City are closing in on a deal to buy Palermo meaning it’ll be the 11th club they own across the world. 

Getting ridiculous now. 

Yeah I do feel there should be stricter rules against it.

Though saying that, surprises me that none of these groups that own so many clubs have tried to buy a club in Scotland. Similar style of football to England, means you can use it as a a way of bringing talent in getting them up to speed and move south, also buying a club in Scotland can be a lot cheaper.

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Doesn’t matter. With coaching & a fresh start you don’t know what these players could become. Look at Halkett, binned at 20 by rangers. 

I’m not saying he in particular would become a star, but there would be the odd one that could. 

I agree but it would require him getting plenty of game time like Halkett did. He might end up on loan.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Might be the sheep who need the watching when it comes to consolidating a third spot. Last I heard they're raving about getting millions in transfer money and going to rebuild the squad and conquer Europe.

That might be wishful bleating though, they're even worse than hubz.

Liverpool have agreed a deal for Ramsey apparently, £6.5m in total. You still need to spend it wisely and clubs bump prices up. 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

For Hibs if this strategy works they’ll build a statue of Ron on Albion Road, it’ll reap the rewards and net him millions. However if it goes boobs skywards they’ll be left with a 35 man squad in the championship worth heehaw! it’s very much an all or nothing strategy, if it ends up nothing then Ron will punt the place for a few quid and disappear! I can’t help but think Ron is taking his advice from Craig Levein! 

Hopefully 😆

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Liverpool have agreed a deal for Ramsey apparently, £6.5m in total. You still need to spend it wisely and clubs bump prices up. 

Yeah, the fee is £4m, plus £2.5m in add ons (imagine thats reaching a certain number of apperances and other things.)

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, the fee is £4m, plus £2.5m in add ons (imagine thats reaching a certain number of apperances and other things.)

So much for them holding out for £10m. Good move for all

concerned and this could really be the making of this lad, shame Aberdeen are getting this cash though. 

loveofthegame
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Fair play to Aberdeen, that is a great deal. And good luck to the kid, no harm in Scotland having a few good RBs to add to our plethora of good LBs.... (any chance of a worldie attacking mid or striker please...)

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

What are they likely to spend it on? Would they increase the wage structure to attract even a slightly better quality? I would expect Hearts to if given consecutive cracks at Europe while cementing a solid third place.

But I don't know if they would with windfall money. I suppose I would expect the sheep board to make some signings to appease the bleaters if they actually do get £6.5 million.

But I have no idea what would be a maximum they would spend. On either a single player or in total in a single window. With windfall money.

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

And yet strangely enough, the greatest of them all, Josh Doig, remains at Hibs, unwanted yet valued at a bargain price of 25p and a packet of maltesers (small packet).

Malinga the Swinga
24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What are they likely to spend it on? Would they increase the wage structure to attract even a slightly better quality? I would expect Hearts to if given consecutive cracks at Europe while cementing a solid third place.

But I don't know if they would with windfall money. I suppose I would expect the sheep board to make some signings to appease the bleaters if they actually do get £6.5 million.

But I have no idea what would be a maximum they would spend. On either a single player or in total in a single window. With windfall money.

I'd imagine it will cover the shortfall on their abysmal crowds from last season and the pitiful amount of season tickets they sell.

They also have to sell or do something about Ferguson or else he will leave for nothing soon enough.

Then they have ground maintenance to pay for as Pittodrie continues to decay.

Good sell though, won't deny that.

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Fair play to Aberdeen, that is a great deal. And good luck to the kid, no harm in Scotland having a few good RBs to add to our plethora of good LBs.... (any chance of a worldie attacking mid or striker please...)

With him in the Premier league, it would mean the three best young right backs for Scotland are in the Premier League (Paterson at Everton, Ramsay at Liverpool and Ashby at West Ham. And if we can persuade Tino Livramento to declare for Scotland as his mum is Scottish, then that would make 4.) If Hickey moves to the Premier league then it means the 3 best left backs for Scotland all play in the Premier league as well.

We just need Scotland to have talented players in other positions.

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

With him in the Premier league, it would mean the three best young right backs for Scotland are in the Premier League (Paterson at Everton, Ramsay at Liverpool and Ashby at West Ham. And if we can persuade Tino Livramento to declare for Scotland as his mum is Scottish, then that would make 4.) If Hickey moves to the Premier league then it means the 3 best left backs for Scotland all play in the Premier league as well.

I can remember a period in recent times when we had little to nothing in the EPL in any position. I'm trying to think of the last striker we produced anything like top class. Might be as far back as Duncan Ferguson. 

25 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I can remember a period in recent times when we had little to nothing in the EPL in any position. I'm trying to think of the last striker we produced anything like top class. Might be as far back as Duncan Ferguson. 

It was. And he lasted 7 games for Scotland and never played again.

You could argue that Scotland haven’t had a single world class player in any position since Souness retired in 1986. (Defining world class as a player who could get a game for anyone).

May one-six
56 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I'm not sure Ramsey will be getting much game time. He won't be displacing Alexander-Arnold any time soon. Might get the odd run out a la Tsimikas.

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

I saw this on dotnet

-------

Updated squad list after today's news;

Marshall

Macey

Dabrowski

Mitchell

McGinn

Porteous

Doig

Hanlon

Clarke

Cadden

Stevenson

Bushiri

Miller

Delferriere

MacIntyre

Mitchell

McGregor

Newell

Doyle Hayes

Campbell

Tait

Hauge

Magennis

Henderson

Blaney

Aiken

Hamilton

Kenneh

Mackay

Tavares

Nisbet

Doidge

Melkersen

Bojang

O'Connor

Squad of 35 as things stand.

---------

That's ****ing shit :laugh2:

Jesus. Macey or Dabrowski need to go. I'd imagine Hibs would want to keep the latter on, but if he's not going to get a game then I'd expect him to want to leave. I know McGinn is going to be gone very soon, and rumours Doig will go too. Elsewhere, they have an abundance of midfielders who are all pretty shite and up front is bang average too. Didn't realise the lad James Scott was only on loan last season.

6 hours ago, dougal said:

He must have or had something about him to be on the books with Benfica, but playing for their B team isn't necessarily a sign of his potential. Clubs like Benfica will have a number of players on the books, especially younger players. They're generally not afraid to give the really talented ones game time which he's not had. Failing that, they then look to loan them out and get them game time. Believe it not, their really talented younger players often don't play for the B team.

It's the same in Netherlands. Often the B teams will operate with their own freedom in the transfer market and will sign players suited for the level they play at, or will use the B team to sign younger players from abroad who could come good, but are fairly low risk from a financial aspect. They know these players won't probably become world beaters, but if they can have a solid year or 2, they could be sold on for a small profit. 

jamboinglasgow

For those keeping track of Hibs squad size, Evening news reporting that they are recalling their 19 year old American winger, E J Johnson from his loan at Charleston Battery as they have been impressed with him. If they bring him back and sign McClelland as it seems is about to happen, they then have a squad of 37.

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

For those keeping track of Hibs squad size, Evening news reporting that they are recalling their 19 year old American winger, E J Johnson from his loan at Charleston Battery as they have been impressed with him. If they bring him back and sign McClelland as it seems is about to happen, they then have a squad of 37.

I assume Ron has never seen the size of the hut out at the farm they train at, they’ll be getting changed in the field next door!

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Charleston Battery lol

The Hibs recruitment strategy seems all over the shop. Gordon clearly hoping one makes an impact so they can be sold on for a few quid! 

Ronald Villiers

My Falkirk supporting mate said the Rangers player that Hibs are going to sign wasnae great.

That's a big cash boost for Aberdeen. Potentially put them in the frame for challenging us for 3rd next season. 

Hopefully they don't use it wisely.

Edited by Hansel

53 minutes ago, Hansel said:

That's a big cash boost for Aberdeen. Potentially put them in the frame for challenging us for 3rd next season. 

Hopefully they don't use it wisely.

no chance that’s going into their player budget. It’ll be going in Cormacks pocket and that fairytale stadium they are dreaming about. 
they have to either rebuild pittodrie or move. Something we don’t have to do. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hibs recall some lad from the “battery”

Wont the battery be fairly near the milking shed down at the farm?

47 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

no chance that’s going into their player budget. It’ll be going in Cormacks pocket and that fairytale stadium they are dreaming about. 
they have to either rebuild pittodrie or move. Something we don’t have to do. 

This. Some might go to short term stuff like players, but they've got to seriously think about that stadium if the reported costs are accurate. 

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Window 2022 ( Merged ) ***