• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

• New Town Loafer

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A swing and a miss.

I'm sorry if I came across trying to point score.

Just to add that the single biggest factor in reducing poverty in Edinburgh according to studies is solving its housing crisis.

Something both they and the Scottish government have failed to do.

How is it that both but to a greater extent the SG gets no criticism from posters on here?

Anyway I'm ranting and I don't even know who I will vote for.

Again RG I wasn't meaning to point score.

I seriously am fed up with the running of this city.

3 minutes ago, Ked said:

I'm sorry if I came across trying to point score.

Just to add that the single biggest factor in reducing poverty in Edinburgh according to studies is solving its housing crisis.

Something both they and the Scottish government have failed to do.

How is it that both but to a greater extent the SG gets no criticism from posters on here?

Anyway I'm ranting and I don't even know who I will vote for.

Again RG I wasn't meaning to point score.

I seriously am fed up with the running of this city.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-election-2022-snp-pledge-23704983

SNP pledge £2 billion to help tackle housing crisis

The manifesto includes commitments to introduce rent controls, reduce the number of Airbnbs in the city and expand the council's housing stock.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-election-2022-snp-pledge-23704983

The manifesto includes commitments to introduce rent controls, reduce the number of Airbnbs in the city and expand the council's housing stock.

They promised to build 50,000 social housing at the last election.

Do you know how many were built?

They and the Tories both promised 

Do you know how many They built between them

They have been in power both for a decade.

Do you know when the first studies identified the link between housing poverty and poor performance at school caused by unsecure and high rent housing were identified?

SNP identify the link between high cost of rent and poverty

SNP promise to put money into housing that's affordable after it emerged that households of the poor were left with 260 pounds approx after paying rent.

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That 2 billion also covers a lot of other things not just housing.

Anyway we will see as they have not delivered on manifesto promises on housing despite being in power for a decade.

On average 4,800 homes were built that were classed as social housing per year since the SNP came to power.

Not all were funded by government though

Last post on this sorry.

If its any consolotion the Tories also failed on their manifesto pledge to build 200,000 social homes.

Apologies for the rants .

AGAIN

17 minutes ago, Ked said:

I've got news for you she is.

She is constantly available and gives information about the day to day problems of her constituents.

The Tory Party as far as I could tell during the brexit vote had plenty who wanted to remain.

This is Edinburgh Council elections.

They do not look after the vulnerable people of this city with due care despite being one of the wealthiest cities in Europe.

Anyway you dismissed her because she once was a member of that party.

I take it you have always voted the same all your life ?

Listen its up to you and your views are as important as anyone's.

But my view is the current governance of this city is absolutely shite.

She recognises the local anger especially regarding housing .

A 1 bedroom flat in Gorgie is currently 850 a month.

There's little room in social housing.

There is 3 new builds currently underway.

All student accommodation.

Which in itself isn't a bad thing but does absolutely fek all for either local young people or even students from poorer background.

The Council also has a shameful record for housing families often put up in bed and breakfasts at an enormous cost when faced with homelessness that far exceeds any city in the UK let alone Scotland.

The SNP who.m so many will not criticise and instead resort to whataboutery should hang their heads in shame for the national picture on housing.

Which is now a crisis.

I think we must all know people whose rent swallowz up a huge proportion of their income.

There are other issues the Edinburgh Council have been totally inept at dealing with.

Not least turning the city into a theme park that's cheap and tacky while ignoring the real problems of its residents.

Can anyone give reasons for re election the current Edinburgh regime other than "they're no tories"

Good post and pretty much where I’m at. 

I’ll never vote Conservative and the SNP would take my vote if they were even remotely competent. However if you look at the state of things in this city it’s clear that they’re not. 

Voting for someone who makes a small difference in their ward and is on the right side of the issues is all you can do to feel like there’s any point in participating in this democracy. 

Pessimistically, I would wager that ECC will continue to be a wasteful bureaucracy failing to provide a decent level of service to the community regardless of who gets elected. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Last post on this sorry.

If its any consolotion the Tories also failed on their manifesto pledge to build 200,000 social homes.

Apologies for the rants .

AGAIN

Why apologise ? You have made very valid points . The housing crisis in Edinburgh is the number one issue I feel which needs urgent attention .

Good to see the newest members on JKB being newly new, and bringing such a fresh vibrant (and dare I say it, new) sense of novelty to the board.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Good to see the newest members on JKB being newly new, and bringing such a fresh vibrant (and dare I say it, new) sense of novelty to the board.  :thumbsup:

There's no new housing to go with the newly new posting.

Just the same old but new promises from the old parties with new manifestos.

No one seems to want new politics .

I'm old .

I wished I was new.

I bit because I'm sort of new.

Although I'm sort of reincarnated.

And your post was new after my rants

3 minutes ago, Ked said:

There's no new housing to go with the newly new posting.

Just the same old but new promises from the old parties with new manifestos.

No one seems to want new politics .

I'm old .

I wished I was new.

I bit because I'm sort of new.

Although I'm sort of reincarnated.

And your post was new after my rants

Ah, you were new back in August, but you've gotten old and grey again.  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ah, you were new back in August, but you've gotten old and grey again.  :thumbsup:

Oh to be new and exciting again.

😟

4 minutes ago, Ked said:

Oh to be new and exciting again.

😟

You could always try dyeing your hair a different colour.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Strange is good or exotic.

He's neither.

Bitter would be my description.

Posts the guy that's been ranting, apologising for ranting and then ranting again on this thread all night before apologising for his latest, post-ranting-apology rant. 😁

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You could always try dyeing your hair a different colour.

Is that metaphorical in a political sense?😀

If not I can barely be bothered shaving and just jave a smattering of grey.

Which looks quite cool....I think

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Posts the guy that's been ranting, apologising for ranting and then ranting again on this thread all night before apologising for his latest, post-ranting-apology rant. 😁

Not in a bitter bigoted way though.

I shall leave that to your bitter self.

🙂

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Tbf that was an accurate description of my rants.

Sorry.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Not in a bitter bigoted way though.

I shall leave that to your bitter self.

🙂

😁

31 minutes ago, Ked said:

Is that metaphorical in a political sense?😀

If not I can barely be bothered shaving and just jave a smattering of grey.

Which looks quite cool....I think

:D No, purely non-abstract. I was going to suggest changing your gender to discover the "new and fresh you" (it seems to be in vogue these days, he says controversially), but I thought that might be a bit much so went with the hair instead.

Enjoy your grey while it remains a minority shareholder of your hairspace. I used to have folk say that the salt and pepper George Clooney look suited me. No-one says that any more. :)

Edited by redjambo

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D No, purely non-abstract. I was going to suggest changing your gender to discover the "new and fresh you" (it seems to be in vogue these days, he says controversially), but I thought that might be a bit much so went with the hair instead.

Enjoy your grey while it remains a minority shareholder of your hairspace. I used to have folk say that the salt and pepper George Clooney look suited me. No-one says that any more. :)

😎 there are quite a few admirers of the silver fox look ( apparently ) unsure why guys worry about their hair changing colour organically  . 😎

New Town Loafer

Expecting the Liberals to do well in this. Their campaigning has been streets ahead of everyone else's. (So to speak.)

I have to say that I approach council elections and national elections completely differently. Since the Tories and their friends dragged us through Brexit I have become a supporter of Scottish independence and so for the foreseeable future will be voting SNP on a national level, both in Scottish and British elections, as a means to that end. Once we achieve independence, I'll probably revert to whichever non-Tory party reflects my politics the best at the time. However on a local level, one of my local councillors, a Liberal Democrat, is very active in working on local issues and has also helped me out personally quite a lot with tackling council bureaucracy so he will be getting my vote and support, even to the extent that I've done some leafleting for him. So there you go, a (currently) national SNP voter actively supporting a local Liberal Democrat councillor, and I'm neither one nor the other in reality. In general my political beliefs are Labour/SNP/Lib Dem and I decide which to support depending on the circumstances at the time. However, getting back to the point, I don't think the results of local elections should be viewed too closely when it comes to extrapolating the results to national elections - they are different beasties in my eyes.

maroonlegions
18 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

No welfare state soon ? 

Your situation - Turn2us  list of benefits available in the UK 

:rofl:

You cant be that gullible to believe that the benefits are even close to  providing a real time safety net in the new Tory made cost of living crisis??

SNP have increased some benefits up here and they are set to rise again.

My main theme was the GRADUAL erosion of the welfare state , look what the Tories have done to in in their time in power so far. People have DIED because of some changes to it.

They are on a course to privatise the NHS through the back door if they can and the welfare state is next.    

Edited by maroonlegions

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

You cant be that gullible to believe that the benefits are even close to  providing a real time safety net in the new Tory made cost of living crisis??

My main theme was the GRADUAL erosion of the welfare state , look what the Tories have done to in in their time in power so far. People have DIED because of some changes to it.

They are on a course to privatise the NHS through the back door if they can and the welfare state is next.    

Bla blah blah 

Howdy Doody Jambo
41 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

These issues do not involve local council elections though or do they? 

maroonlegions
13 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

These issues do not involve local council elections though or do they? 

Yip, Westminster sets the Scottish budget after all..

What would a Tory held local council majority  or  a Tory run Holyrood do about benefits up here ???

All interconnected?? 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Very mature reply.

:thumb:

You said I was “ gullible “ hence the response . Glasshouses and all 👍

Edited by JamesM48

bobby bombscare

When it comes to parties, people need to realise they're all a shower of poo. I have posted something similar on other threads similar to what i'm saying here as well. 

The tories will privatise everything and line their own pockets wherever possible. Their record with the NHS is abysmal in England and they will leave no safety net in case anything goes wrong in your life. They can't be trusted, never could be, never will be. 

The SNP are so desperate for their independence vote (which isn't even an independence vote, it's a union vote, either european union or british union.. so they can stop calling it 'independance', cos either way we get stuck with someone we didn't vote for making all the big decisions) that they would literally destroy the country just to get back at england.

SNP, have also kindly left us with an education system in tatters, with only 66.9% literacy in in school aged children. that means for every class of 30 (a number they pledged to reduce and haven't) roughly 9 members of the class are illiterate. 
We have a rapidly growing child poverty rate in Edinburgh due to the astronomical cost of living they have created by making the festival, students and tourism so lucrative that it isn't even financially viable to rent to long term tenants because what they can afford is so low and the cost of the premises is so high. (partly labours fault too). Oh, and a NHS that is a mess (not only is my wife a nurse, it has cost me 2 family members and a friend due to 2 misdiagnosis and another waiting 6 months to get seen to because they "weren't an emergency" because they could still stand and walk, even with a lump the size of a kiwi fruit on his arm pit so i can defo confirm this...) with the royal currently having over 1000 vacancies that they can't fill because staff are so fed up of being treated so poorly by being made to pay to park at work or even refused the opportunity to park at work.. 

Then we move to labour who, in case anyone didn't know, were the people in charge that let the banks bankrupt the country, bail the banks out and still let them give themselves bonuses as a well done. They still have a relatively large cohort of their members who hold anti-semetic views and let unions go wild to the point that businesses go bust. 

The greens don't give a crap about the country, child poverty, our NHS or anything of that ilk, they just want windmills, no oil (which means pretending we don't use oil, when we still use the same amount, we just let russia dig it up for us instead of creating jobs, that way we can pretend we are holier than thou to other countries doing the exact same thing because we're "net zero") and they see european money as the best way to fund their deluded dreams. 

Every politician is as corrupt as the next who have lied, cheated and backstabbed their way up the ladder and every party is as corrupt as the next (salmonds trial, and the missing money springing to mind for the SNP.. Partygate, and giving their mates deals for the Tories, the expenses scandal for labour and their last leaders refusal to decry those holding anti-semetic views and IRA ties...)

HOWEVER! Once in a while you get a local council candidate who, independent or otherwise, actually gives a crap about more than themselves and their own agenda. These people may not represent your party or they may even represent a party you hate. But at the end of the day, if they actually CARE about fixing roads, building housing, fixing the schools etc, why on earth would you not want to vote them in? 

So remember, no national party actually gives a crap about you but the odd local councillor might, so I would advise ignoring the colour of their ribbon and looking at if they actually do something in your area!!

Edited by bobby bombscare

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

When it comes to parties, people need to realise they're all a shower of poo. I have posted something similar on other threads similar to what i'm saying here as well. 

The tories will privatise everything and line their own pockets wherever possible. Their record with the NHS is abysmal in England and they will leave no safety net in case anything goes wrong in your life. They can't be trusted, never could be, never will be. 

The SNP are so desperate for their independence vote (which isn't even an independence vote, it's a union vote, either european union or british union.. so they can stop calling it 'independance', cos either way we get stuck with someone we didn't vote for making all the big decisions) that they would literally destroy the country just to get back at england.

SNP, have also kindly left us with an education system in tatters, with only 66.9% literacy in in school aged children. that means for every class of 30 (a number they pledged to reduce and haven't) roughly 9 members of the class are illiterate. 
We have a rapidly growing child poverty rate in Edinburgh due to the astronomical cost of living they have created by making the festival, students and tourism so lucrative that it isn't even financially viable to rent to long term tenants because what they can afford is so low and the cost of the premises is so high. (partly labours fault too). Oh, and a NHS that is a mess (not only is my wife a nurse, it has cost me 2 family members and a friend due to 2 misdiagnosis and another waiting 6 months to get seen to because they "weren't an emergency" because they could still stand and walk, even with a lump the size of a kiwi fruit on his arm pit so i can defo confirm this...) with the royal currently having over 1000 vacancies that they can't fill because staff are so fed up of being treated so poorly by being made to pay to park at work or even refused the opportunity to park at work.. 

Then we move to labour who, in case anyone didn't know, were the people in charge that let the banks bankrupt the country, bail the banks out and still let them give themselves bonuses as a well done. They still have a relatively large cohort of their members who hold anti-semetic views and let unions go wild to the point that businesses go bust. 

The greens don't give a crap about the country, child poverty, our NHS or anything of that ilk, they just want windmills, no oil (which means pretending we don't use oil, when we still use the same amount, we just let russia dig it up for us instead of creating jobs, that way we can pretend we are holier than thou to other countries doing the exact same thing because we're "net zero") and they see european money as the best way to fund their deluded dreams. 

Every politician is as corrupt as the next who have lied, cheated and backstabbed their way up the ladder and every party is as corrupt as the next (salmonds trial, and the missing money springing to mind for the SNP.. Partygate, and giving their mates deals for the Tories, the expenses scandal for labour and their last leaders refusal to decry those holding anti-semetic views and IRA ties...)

HOWEVER! Once in a while you get a local council candidate who, independent or otherwise, actually gives a crap about more than themselves and their own agenda. These people may not represent your party or they may even represent a party you hate. But at the end of the day, if they actually CARE about fixing roads, building housing, fixing the schools etc, why on earth would you not want to vote them in? 

So remember, no national party actually gives a crap about you but the odd local councillor might, so I would advise ignoring the colour of their ribbon and looking at if they actually do something in your area!!

Aptly named Bobby. 

1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

9 kids out of 30 are illiterate in Scotland? What age? Source?

Howdy Doody Jambo
3 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Yip, Westminster sets the Scottish budget after all..

What would a Tory held local council majority  or  a Tory run Holyrood do about benefits up here ???

All interconnected?? 

So why do we pay council tax? 

Who decides how much council tax we pay?

Who decides what council tax is spent on? 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

9 kids out of 30 are illiterate in Scotland? What age? Source?

I fail to see what it has to do with any political party of any persuasion.

Personally I put it down to the individuals own desire to want to read and write, and to the standard of teaching they are receiving.

Nucky Thompson

Murrayfield/Corstorphine ward could be free of SNP councilors after this.

We have one just now and it's Frank Ross the Lord Provost.

He has a big feck off target on his back ready to be shot at :sweeet:

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

P1-7

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/literacy-numeracy-rates-scotland-drop-25692970 (Yes it’s the daily rag but they’re only quoting the national statistics) 

The guy that you're quoting shouldn't have a problem with the Daily Record.

It's not the Sun, Mail or Express :biggrin2:

Unknown user
13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The guy that you're quoting shouldn't have a problem with the Daily Record.

It's not the Sun, Mail or Express :biggrin2:

As long as they glance at it before going into deflection mode they're ahead of you Nuckles! 

Why do some wards have multiple candidates from the same party against single candidates?  I know you're voting for a candidate,  not a party,  but it's bound to have a fundamental effect,  compared to a 1 party / 1 candidate type of election like for Westminster or Holyrood.

Two Tory pigs on my ballot.  Double the number of boxes I had to avoid like the bubonic plague.

Another one here voting for Ashley Graczyk. As well as the stuff already mentioned, she's been constantly on at the police about the neddy behavior at Sighthill Park and has managed to get the police to commit to patrols on foot and even on off-road bikes to tackle some of the behaviour that goes on. Never see or hear anything from the others. 

I think there's an Alba candidate standing too so he or she will prob get a vote. Greens have ****ed me off with certain things they're taking too far and would also like the encumbants to get the boot too

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nice to see some on here are happy to stick to the thread theme and avoid dragging it into the usual, entirely predictable yawn-fest that is SNP v Tory trolling/wind-ups.

Your local councillors arguably have a reasonably large impact on your day to day lives, and yet these elections have poor turnout, sadly. All it means is that the motivated, organised parties/candidates get in without much challenge on their records or plans.

It is sad how low turnout is in these elections as councils do have a big impact on our day to day lives. Having said that I could never ever vote for someone who is a member of the tory party. 

manaliveits105

My Tory local guy has done well over past few years as has my second vote the Tory lady followed by a third vote for the Lib Dem guy who is also pretty pro active - none of the others deserve votes 

JudyJudyJudy
54 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nice to see some on here are happy to stick to the thread theme and avoid dragging it into the usual, entirely predictable yawn-fest that is SNP v Tory trolling/wind-ups.

Your local councillors arguably have a reasonably large impact on your day to day lives, and yet these elections have poor turnout, sadly. All it means is that the motivated, organised parties/candidates get in without much challenge on their records or plans.

Well

aa I’ve said and it sticks in my throat but it seems my local SNP is a “ well Kent “ face in my ward and seems to be active in the community in various organisations / committees / schools , . Quite impressive . The Labour one seems hopeless , Tory one less involved. But has some presence . 

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Another one here voting for Ashley Graczyk. As well as the stuff already mentioned, she's been constantly on at the police about the neddy behavior at Sighthill Park and has managed to get the police to commit to patrols on foot and even on off-road bikes to tackle some of the behaviour that goes on. Never see or hear anything from the others. 

I think there's an Alba candidate standing too so he or she will prob get a vote. Greens have ****ed me off with certain things they're taking too far and would also like the encumbants to get the boot too

Yes she seems to be on the ball 🏀 

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

It is sad how low turnout is in these elections as councils do have a big impact on our day to day lives. Having said that I could never ever vote for someone who is a member of the tory party. 

It's because most councillors are a waste of space . If they bothered to engage properly with communities it might be different. 

AlphonseCapone

Going first on an independent in my area who seems decent and actively involved in the community. Likely has no chance of being elected but still. 

bobby bombscare
23 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Seems it was improving before lockdown. It was inevitable that the pandemic would have some impact.

Improving to 73%.. the only reason it was low in the first place was because of mismanagement…

telling you, there isn’t a single political party in this country that is actually worth a vote!