Council elections 2022

New Town Loafer

maroonlegions

Ooch.

Hardly COVID parties at number 10 but what was she thinking..

Old firm game.:rofl:

:vrface:

SNP MP Mhairi Black has apologised after she was filmed drinking lager on a ScotRail train despite a ban on alcohol being in place.

Edited by maroonlegions

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

• New Town Loafer

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Ooch.

Hardly COVID parties at number 10 but what was she thinking..

Old firm game.:rofl:

:vrface:

SNP MP Mhairi Black has apologised after she was filmed drinking lager on a ScotRail train despite a ban on alcohol being in place.

How dreadfully tacky :)

image-23-10-21-06-56-7.gif

maroonlegions
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

How dreadfully tacky :)

image-23-10-21-06-56-7.gif

Yip and from her own party below.

Bosses at SNP controlled ScotRail have been told to hold talks on lifting the booze ban on trains.

Drinking was prohibited on trains and stations in November 2020 as a “temporary” measure to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

ScotRail - nationalised by Nicola Sturgeon’s government on Friday - previously said the move would help to maintain social distancing and encourage use of face masks.

While almost all of Scotland’s remaining Covid rules were scrapped on March 21, the First Minister delayed the lifting of mask laws until at least April 18.

It means it is still an offence to enter a shop, public transport and other indoor places without a mask.

READ MORE: For the latest politics news click here.

Those refusing are liable for a fine or a penalty notice for up to £60.

The Scottish Government has said it has not come to a decision on the alcohol ban.

At the height of the first Covid lockdown, ScotRail’s passenger numbers dropped by 95 per cent, and since then only around 60 per cent of pre-pandemic passengers have returned.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Yip and from her own party below.

Bosses at SNP controlled ScotRail have been told to hold talks on lifting the booze ban on trains.

Drinking was prohibited on trains and stations in November 2020 as a “temporary” measure to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

ScotRail - nationalised by Nicola Sturgeon’s government on Friday - previously said the move would help to maintain social distancing and encourage use of face masks.

While almost all of Scotland’s remaining Covid rules were scrapped on March 21, the First Minister delayed the lifting of mask laws until at least April 18.

It means it is still an offence to enter a shop, public transport and other indoor places without a mask.

READ MORE: For the latest politics news click here.

Those refusing are liable for a fine or a penalty notice for up to £60.

The Scottish Government has said it has not come to a decision on the alcohol ban.

At the height of the first Covid lockdown, ScotRail’s passenger numbers dropped by 95 per cent, and since then only around 60 per cent of pre-pandemic passengers have returned.

Probably thinking she Billy big baws cause her boss now owns Scotrail.  So she can do whit she likes like ! Very Toryish really /

maroonlegions
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Probably thinking she Billy big baws cause her boss now owns Scotrail.  So she can do whit she likes like ! Very Toryish really /

Politicians eh.. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, maroonlegions said:

Politicians eh.. 

Yep.  So will she be fined ?

maroonlegions
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yep.  So will she be fined ?

Hopefully but will all the other fitbaw fans who done the same be fined..??

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

Hopefully but will all the other fitbaw fans who done the same be fined..??

IM not exploding with rage about this issue but do think its hypocritical of her really.   She been one of the first of that mob to condem other rule breakers.  I like when politicians get their up and commence at times. 

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

IM not exploding with rage about this issue but do think its hypocritical of her really.   She been one of the first of that mob to condem other rule breakers.  I like when politicians get their up and commence at times. 

Yip.Don't like it up em..

:greggy:

Malinga the Swinga
13 hours ago, Smithee said:

That's simply not true, mid term council elections have always been a measure of government. They're also the reason Boris is still in charge, the Tories didn't want to risk a new leader getting blamed for a wipeout.

Plus, councils don't have money because the country isn't exactly thriving, those *******s are driving it into the dirt. If you think voting a Tory councillor in is the answer to a national Tory cluster****, I don't know what to say.

That sack of custard in charge could be earning more, experiencing less stress, having a free run at the fillies and bongo, he could be on holiday every month. But he isn't, he's sticking out what's a pretty tough gig just now. I'd put money on that the only reason he's still there is that he's incentivised, he's been promised a knighthood or something if he stays and takes the flak for these elections.

He'll be gone by July if people show their displeasure. But if people continue to vote ****ing Tory after all of this, we deserve everything we get.

Local elections, local matters. Perhaps councils would have more cash if the Scottish government didn't divert cash to their slush fund for independence instead of giving it out to grants.

If people continue to vote ****ing SNP/Labour, we deserve everything we get in Edinburgh.

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Local elections, local matters. Perhaps councils would have more cash if the Scottish government didn't divert cash to their slush fund for independence instead of giving it out to grants.

If people continue to vote ****ing SNP/Labour, we deserve everything we get in Edinburgh.

Thing is, you can repeat the mantra all you like, mid term elections have always been a barometer of government.

On 30/04/2022 at 01:52, Ulysses said:

In fairness, most independent candidates are either rampant Tories, rampant nutters who are too militantly right-wing to be allowed stay in the Conservative party, with a smaller crop of mad millies who think Momentum is too right-wing for them.  Any independent still on the ballot paper once those categories are excluded would usually be a single-issue wingnut.

😄

The woman in Gorgie I'm pretty sure is not in those categories.

Although she once was a member of the Conservative party.

Funny your summing up though.

Malinga the Swinga
42 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Thing is, you can repeat the mantra all you like, mid term elections have always been a barometer of government.

Is the mantra of those desperate to deflect from the horrendous mess the SNP & Labour have made of Edinburgh.

They deserve to be booted out.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Is the mantra of those desperate to deflect from the horrendous mess the SNP & Labour have made of Edinburgh.

If I lived in Edinburgh you might have had a point

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They so deserve to be booted out . However they won’t . It’s Tragic that morons will vote them back in thinking it’ll lead them to independence! 

frankblack
7 hours ago, Ked said:

😄

The woman in Gorgie I'm pretty sure is not in those categories.

Although she once was a member of the Conservative party.

Funny your summing up though.

I checked my current councillors and there is a Lib Dem, Tory, and an Independent.

The latter was elected as SNP and apparently now is asking people to vote for a Tory candidate!

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

I checked my current councillors and there is a Lib Dem, Tory, and an Independent.

The latter was elected as SNP and apparently now is asking people to vote for a Tory candidate!

Ashley Gracec I think is her name

For Gorgie

Edited by Ked

Nucky Thompson

Edinburgh west is in some state.

A wee walk out with the dog this morning and I saw long grass verges that haven't been cut this year, weeds along the edges of the potholed roads, rubbish bins overflowing. 

It's disgraceful, but this useless mob will get back in cause rur no ra toaries

37 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Edinburgh west is in some state.

A wee walk out with the dog this morning and I saw long grass verges that haven't been cut this year, weeds along the edges of the potholed roads, rubbish bins overflowing. 

It's disgraceful, but this useless mob will get back in cause rur no ra toaries

Unfortunately the nationalists fall for the shite that comes out of her mouth. The snp mantra is to use the council elections to send a message to the toaries. Never mind how the councils are performing or what they will do to improve our city, just send a massage. ****ing embarrassing policy that comes from the top that allows decline going unpunished at government and local level. 

frankblack
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Ashley Gracec I think is her name

For Gorgie

No, I'm in the Drum Brae/Gyle ward.

I don't know the specifics of why she lost the party whip but the argument put by nationalists earlier doesn't hold up.

Edited by frankblack

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Unfortunately the nationalists fall for the shite that comes out of her mouth. The snp mantra is to use the council elections to send a message to the toaries. Never mind how the councils are performing or what they will do to improve our city, just send a massage. ****ing embarrassing policy that comes from the top that allows decline going unpunished at government and local level. 

Yep unfortunately very true.  No doubt the SNP will get a huge amount of votes and its didly squat to do with local issues. Labour missed a trick by pretending to want Indy and stringing the public along with promises of a Indy ref with no date etc.  That's just enough and of course they could then be content with a No vote in the event of a Ref.  I honestly cant see me voting for any candidates in my area. Certainly not the SNP or Labour.  

frankblack
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep unfortunately very true.  No doubt the SNP will get a huge amount of votes and its didly squat to do with local issues. Labour missed a trick by pretending to want Indy and stringing the public along with promises of a Indy ref with no date etc.  That's just enough and of course they could then be content with a No vote in the event of a Ref.  I honestly cant see me voting for any candidates in my area. Certainly not the SNP or Labour.  

That is precisely what they want - to get in due to the apathy of the voters.

To make your point you must vote for whichever other parties are strong in your area and get one or two kicked out.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

To make your point you must vote for whichever other parties are strong in your area and get one or two kicked out.

Exactly why they will get a lot of seats. Staunch supporters and low turn out.

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yep well i have a Tory one in my ward and the other is SNP. Thats it. Unsure who the other candidates are in my area. 

frankblack
52 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep well i have a Tory one in my ward and the other is SNP. Thats it. Unsure who the other candidates are in my area. 

It is voting for local issues so even voting Tory if they are strong enough may swing the vote.

Tactical voting.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It is voting for local issues so even voting Tory if they are strong enough may swing the vote.

Tactical voting.

Yep . 

frankblack
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Need to clamp down on buy to let, AirBNB, and have less focus on student flats - how many student places are there anyway?

With the high interest rates on student loans I wonder if fewer students will go to University away from home.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Need to clamp down on buy to let, AirBNB, and have less focus on student flats - how many student places are there anyway?

With the high interest rates on student loans I wonder if fewer students will go to University away from home.

Well Fountainbridge/ Park is now awash with student accommodation. The whole community is now decimated really . It was a community years ago. The problem is that traditional Uni learning is changing due to the aftermath of covid so many students can study from home . Its also far more cost affective for them.  However the Uni owned housing clearly wont like that. 

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well Fountainbridge/ Park is now awash with student accommodation. The whole community is now decimated really . It was a community years ago. The problem is that traditional Uni learning is changing due to the aftermath of covid so many students can study from home . Its also far more cost affective for them.  However the Uni owned housing clearly wont like that.

I think what we're seeing is a transfer. It used to be that students were spread out everywhere, in a lot of private lets. Now, the unis are taking it inhouse.

Meanwhile, all these private landlords who still want lucrative short term rentals, are they the ones turning to Airbnb?

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think what we're seeing is a transfer. It used to be that students were spread out everywhere, in a lot of private lets. Now, the unis are taking it inhouse.

Meanwhile, all these private landlords who still want lucrative short term rentals, are they the ones turning to Airbnb?

Yes that’s probably quite accurate . Unsure if there are traditional student flats like there used to be in newington etc 

Malinga the Swinga

The university's are themselves, especially in Edinburgh, some of the wealthiest institutions/companies that you will ever know.

Edinburgh uni is awash with cash and makes a killing on the land it owns and the rents it charges.

These institutions need to be subjected to proper tax. At the moment, they are more interested in making money than education. Same goes for their overpaid and underworked professors, who with the odd exception, couldn't cope with work in real world and instead live in cosy academic surroundings, where who toy know is more important than what you can do.

Seymour M Hersh
34 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The university's are themselves, especially in Edinburgh, some of the wealthiest institutions/companies that you will ever know.

Edinburgh uni is awash with cash and makes a killing on the land it owns and the rents it charges.

These institutions need to be subjected to proper tax. At the moment, they are more interested in making money than education. Same goes for their overpaid and underworked professors, who with the odd exception, couldn't cope with work in real world and instead live in cosy academic surroundings, where who toy know is more important than what you can do.

What exactly could the clowncil do here? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

frankblack
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What exactly could the clowncil do here? 

I guess they could reject planning applications for new student accommodation and aware permission for non-buy to let properties?

I'm also assuming they have the powers to act on the saturation of Air BNB also.

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I guess they could reject planning applications for new student accommodation and aware permission for non-buy to let properties?

I'm also assuming they have the powers to act on the saturation of Air BNB also.

They could stop student accommodation being built in lieu of affordable housing.

In the main, was just referring to the couple of comments on student acc though.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They could stop student accommodation being built in lieu of affordable housing.

In the main, was just referring to the couple of comments on student acc though.

I totally agree with your first sentence.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Okay but how is that raising more taxes from the Universities? I am guessing all these properties are due to pay council tax so would that not reduce revenue? 

frankblack
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Okay but how is that raising more taxes from the Universities? I am guessing all these properties are due to pay council tax so would that not reduce revenue? 

I'm not arguing that point.

A lot of the student accommodation developments going up aren't actually owned by any of the Universities. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Most new housing developments in the Borders have to include a % of social housing as well, built at the same time.

Does the Edinburgh area have the same system?

maroonlegions
The Tories are expected to retain just under 980 council seats, a fall of 548, with Labour gaining more than 800.
Conservatives on track for the worst local elections since the 1990s

Penny finally dropping with voters down south.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:
The Tories are expected to retain just under 980 council seats, a fall of 548, with Labour gaining more than 800.
Conservatives on track for the worst local elections since the 1990s

Penny finally dropping with voters down south.

I'd like to believe that but I don't want to get my hopes up.

And anyway, as I've said for months, Boris will be the scapegoat, they'll pretend they're changing things with Jeremy Hunt as PM, sweeping with a new brush and all that pish, and Britain will go back to being angry about the latest headlines and voting Tory because it was all Boris's fault.

I really hope I'm wrong.

frankblack
38 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd like to believe that but I don't want to get my hopes up.

And anyway, as I've said for months, Boris will be the scapegoat, they'll pretend they're changing things with Jeremy Hunt as PM, sweeping with a new brush and all that pish, and Britain will go back to being angry about the latest headlines and voting Tory because it was all Boris's fault.

I really hope I'm wrong.

We just need to do the same up here to the SNP and Scottish Labour.

Neither party gives a damn about local services or respects democratic consultation results.  A tory vote at local level can only improve services and accountability.

I'm going for a mix of Lib Dem and then maybe tory btw.

Edited by frankblack

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

A tory vote at local level can only improve services and accountability.

received_242333047761109.jpeg.d43a17be99fa5a5f671ebb13242cb222.jpeg

Never forget...

1569721215_FB_IMG_16118861575142.thumb.jpg.fc1c13ed28f3a5716d0bb4262b74edfa.jpg

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

We just need to do the same up here to the SNP and Scottish Labour.

Neither party gives a damn about local services or respects democratic consultation results.  A tory vote at local level can only improve services and accountability.

I'm going for a mix of Lib Dem and then maybe tory btw.

Ah yes, the Tories are renowned for their accountability.  :rofl: 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That’s a beauty.

Nucky Thompson

I'm voting for the Tory guy in Murrayfield/Corstorphine ward.

A local lad who went to Roseburn primary.

I like how he's fighting against all the failure policies that the Edinburgh council are forcing through.

The latest one is charging for parking in residential areas around Corstorphine, even though the locals rejected the proposals

il Duce McTarkin
17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm voting for the Tory guy in Murrayfield/Corstorphine ward.

A local lad who went to Roseburn primary.

I like how he's fighting against all the failure policies that the Edinburgh council are forcing through.

The latest one is charging for parking in residential areas around Corstorphine, even though the locals rejected the proposals

Good stuff.

frankblack
54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I generally vote Lib Dem to keep the Nats out in Edinburgh West.

When are those ferries getting delivered?

Still waiting for to see the legal advice on your Indy Ref 2.  I guess that means it isn't good news for trying to circumvent Westminster?

Getting on topic, why did the SNP/Labour cartel in Edinburgh ignore the public consultation on Spaces for People and plough on regardless?  Add in Nucky's example of Corstorphine parking.

These people don't believe in democracy.  Crooks and liars.