Jump to content

Council elections 2022


New Town Loafer
 Share

Recommended Posts

JamesM48
6 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

At the same time Boris and co must go.  

 

COVID party gate will never be forgotten i feel by voters up and down the country.

 

The reason why there is a surge in SNP votes is because folk up here the current Labour as a weak  challenge to the Tories here and down south. Boris and co and Ross are fueling a rise in Independence voters.. Its a own goal.  

Agree re Boris going but disagree regarding surge in snp votes , yes to a degree they get free votes due to either the incompetence of the opposition or their sleaze , but mainly get the votes due to their main policy and certainly not their record in Govt 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • maroonlegions

    94

  • Smithee

    65

  • JamesM48

    100

  • New Town Loafer

    45

JamesM48
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Talking about Ruth. Do Presbyterians now believe in the virgin birth 

Ah religion  now ! You really are  a parody 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Transgender tartan unicorns have already won the tender to this one, JJ. Apparently they just fart out complete buildings when they're not otherwise engaged in pumping out free bus passes and prescriptions.

You forgot the free laptops , mind you so did the SNP 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Did the Tory government not vote against  a fairer Transgender transparency ???#

Another own goal when it comes to the next UK GE.

No idea, ML.

 

Anyway, plenty of space for national party politics on the other threads. Let's go back - and I'm including myself in this - to making this about the local elections guys :) 

Edited by jonesy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions

For me Britain remains a class ridden , class obsessed society.The Toffs in number 10 hold us little people with utter contempt but meanwhile a lot of brain dead people still remain in awe of charletons like Boris and Mogg , seeing them  as a sort of "apotheosis" of brilliant Englishness.. 

 

That to me is why the SNP are still the main party in Scotland.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Costanza
48 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry bud, you've lost me. You posted a face palm to my last post. Cam Rose came up trumps on a local issue, he's representing our ward well. Just like I vote for Ian Murray because he helped us out a few years ago with some family stuff. Good local politicians, and I don't care which rosette they wear. You can shove all your party-based nonsense - they're all full of liars.

I have sympathy with this rationale, I just have a red line, or rather thick blue one that I couldn't vote for the Tories. I'm certainly no one party man and have voted, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, SNP, independent in various elections in the past. I loathe partisan politics in terms of sticking with a party regardless of what they do, but just draw a line at a party who I believe have systematically eroded the welfare state and if someone wants to align with their platform then it's a no from me.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No idea, ML.

 

Anyway, plenty of space for national party politics on the other threads. Let's go back - and I'm including myself in this - to making this about the local elections guys :) 

Agreed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I have sympathy with this rationale, I just have a red line, or rather thick blue one that I couldn't vote for the Tories. I'm certainly no one party man and have voted, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, SNP, independent in various elections in the past. I loathe partisan politics in terms of sticking with a party regardless of what they do, but just draw a line at a party who I believe have systematically eroded the welfare state and if someone wants to align with their platform then it's a no from me.

 

 

Totally get where you're coming from and remember, I still haven't been to the booth!

 

It is odd that seemingly 'good' people attach themselves to what many of us view as 'bad' parties. I guess it's how far the candidate outweighs the party in that situation. It's just so hard to find anyone worth voting for if you judge them based on their rhetoric, but when there is evidence of doing good for the community, it almost seals the deal for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban

I'd imagine it takes a good while to wash the Tory off, after you vote for them. 

Edited by ri Alban
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
Just now, ri Alban said:

I'd imagine it takes a good while to wash the Tory off, after you vote for them. 

Why would you want to wash off victory? 👀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
Just now, jonesy said:

Totally get where you're coming from and remember, I still haven't been to the booth!

 

It is odd that seemingly 'good' people attach themselves to what many of us view as 'bad' parties. I guess it's how far the candidate outweighs the party in that situation. It's just so hard to find anyone worth voting for if you judge them based on their rhetoric, but when there is evidence of doing good for the community, it almost seals the deal for me.

The reason i will never vote Tory has nothing to do what they do for me or my constituency, that in my view is selfish politics. A Tory will toe the party line up here ..  I will stick with my party through thick and thin. I will leave those that sit on the fence to vote LIb Den, they go with that way anyway.  They are like the freeloaders jumping on any bandwagon to gain power or be in a popular gang.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Costanza
Just now, jonesy said:

Totally get where you're coming from and remember, I still haven't been to the booth!

 

It is odd that seemingly 'good' people attach themselves to what many of us view as 'bad' parties. I guess it's how far the candidate outweighs the party in that situation. It's just so hard to find anyone worth voting for if you judge them based on their rhetoric, but when there is evidence of doing good for the community, it almost seals the deal for me.

I'm not having a go at you at all btw as I don't have your personal experience with a candidate and I understand that influence at a local level.

My issue with the the local elections is that I think the current incumbents are hopeless and the alternatives likely anathema to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Why would you want to wash off victory? 👀

Or sleaze and  corruption or even COVID party gate??

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Or sleaze and  corruption or even COVID party gate??

 

 

 

If you want to avoid sleaze and corruption...vote SNP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, New Town Loafer said:

If you want to avoid sleaze and corruption...vote SNP.

Great, another unionist troll to pop on to ignore. What sort of person joins a Football message board just to troll? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I'm not having a go at you at all btw as I don't have your personal experience with a candidate and I understand that influence at a local level.

My issue with the the local elections is that I think the current incumbents are hopeless and the alternatives likely anathema to me.

 

Plenty of folk I know have said the same thing. It's how the incumbents get in, generally. They've got a small group of ardent supporters who will turn out, while the rest either don't even know the election is happening or find all the options equally unpalatable. What a state our politics is in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully post independence, if he new government will pass a law that will allow Scots to hunt Tories.

:gok:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
33 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

If you want to avoid sleaze and corruption...vote SNP.

So gain provide that sleaze and corruption.

 

You can't be serious that any sleaze or corruption by the SNP is any way on a par with number 10 and COVID party gate ect.

 

   I will vote any party that ousts  the Tories from power up here and down south.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

 

Plenty of folk I know have said the same thing. It's how the incumbents get in, generally. They've got a small group of ardent supporters who will turn out, while the rest either don't even know the election is happening or find all the options equally unpalatable. What a state our politics is in!

A  hardliner  Tory will always vote Tory ..  

 

Then you have a Lib Dems voter..??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Des Lynam
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully post independence, if he new government will pass a law that will allow Scots to hunt Tories.


With that waff of cider and pish we’ll smell you coming! 
 

 

::troll::

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:


With that waff of cider and pish we’ll smell you coming! 
 

 

::troll::

Whiskey .

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
14 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:


With that waff of cider and pish we’ll smell you coming! 
 

 

::troll::

😂😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'd imagine it takes a good while to wash the Tory off, after you vote for them. 

 

09913A2C-76FF-44CA-A355-833DE75C7A44.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Agree re Boris going but disagree regarding surge in snp votes , yes to a degree they get free votes due to either the incompetence of the opposition or their sleaze , but mainly get the votes due to their main policy and certainly not their record in Govt 

Then governments should be held to acount on their record in Govt.

 

I take that stance and there are millions of voters  who do the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

So gain provide that sleaze and corruption.

 

You can't be serious that any sleaze or corruption by the SNP is any way on a par with number 10 and COVID party gate ect.

 

   I will vote any party that ousts  the Tories from power up here and down south.

 

 

I’d rather not - in here. It’s gone off topic enough due to a handful of people who are spoiling what could be an interesting thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

I’d rather not - in here. It’s gone off topic enough due to a handful of people who are spoiling what could be an interesting thread.

Ok. Then why bring sleaze and corruption up then??

 

It's going to be challenged is it not??

 

Not one political party is whiter than white.

 

Its about time politicians and their parties policies , when in office are held to account.

 

People are now seeing right through it.

 

 The fact that the least well off and those in WORK are in a worse state of in work poverty under this Tory government??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Ok. Then why bring sleaze and corruption up then??

 

 

It was a response to someone else suggesting only the Tories are mired in sleaze and corruption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

It was a response to someone else suggesting only the Tories are mired in sleaze and corruption.

So some else's fault but never the Tories. Gotcha ..

 

Cheers. :thumb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Fonz

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

 

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

 

Also, she's an independent which I like.

 

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Whiskey .

 

 

 

Off to traitors gate with you my friend - Real Scots drink Whisky. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

 

Off to traitors gate with you my friend - Real Scots drink Whisky. 😁

I hate Whiskey , makes me boke..

 

Like   porridge  though, none of that Readybrek shit..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
9 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

 

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

 

Also, she's an independent which I like.

 

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

Interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
9 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

 

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

 

Also, she's an independent which I like.

 

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

Good post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

No idea, ML.

 

Anyway, plenty of space for national party politics on the other threads. Let's go back - and I'm including myself in this - to making this about the local elections guys :) 

The public have an opportunity to voice their opinion on recent shenanigans, and they will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions

People need to take back their power of decision making.

 

Politicians have proved they can't be trusted to serve the electorate. Same goes for those highly paid counsellors who can't even get fixing potholes right.  

 

Cooncil tax increase , they are never shy to do that.??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
16 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

 

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

 

Also, she's an independent which I like.

 

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

I cant locate any info about my two local ward councillors. Is she Gorgie ? 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The public have an opportunity to voice their opinion on recent shenanigans, and they will.

No they wont. They will vote SNP because of their Indy policy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JamesM48
2 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Yeah- Gorgie Sighthill. 
 

https://www.ashleygraczyk.com/about

Yes shes very pro active on Facebook on the Gorgie / Dalry page. .  But its not my area. I cant find a scooby about both of my local councillors. Where's the transparency? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Gin
26 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

 

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

 

Also, she's an independent which I like
 

 

Former Tory so she can :bolt:

 

Ranked 7 on my ballot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

 

When the Greens get their way and all cars in Edinburgh are banned, you'll need somewhere to tie your horse, the bollards will come in handy.  :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

When the Greens get their way and all cars in Edinburgh are banned, you'll need somewhere to tie your horse, the bollards will come in handy.  :laugh:

Public transport??

All Tories in Edinburgh should be banned..:greggy:

Edited by maroonlegions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Montgomery Brewster
3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

 

All Tories in Edinburgh should be banned..:greggy:

I am sure you actually meant torched 🔥 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Transgender tartan unicorns have already won the tender to this one, JJ. Apparently they just fart out complete buildings when they're not otherwise engaged in pumping out free bus passes and prescriptions.

 

Remember when Hipster Josie pretended to be a former YES voter though 😁😁😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Public transport??

All Tories in Edinburgh should be banned..:greggy:

 

Yip, new buses are on order.

 

image.jpeg.985a0fdcf80c0b292b8dbc1e8fa31981.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
13 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Vote none of the above !

I like the cut of your jib, please have some assets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Vote none of the above !

 

Would probably win by a landslide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...