Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye but we could luck out and be in with a team who are even diddier than us 😂

Won't happen as all the diddy teams will be in the same pot as us. Even the third seeds will have a very decent recent European pedigree (or play in a top league).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Last years Conference League Groups 

SmartSelect_20220728-122425_Chrome.jpg

So after looking at the 2 group draws, it looks like ECL 2nd place is more doable than 3rd in EL. Interesting, and shows that the playoff is big game but is a win-win either way for the club.

Thought Police
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Last years Europa League Groups

Group A: Lyon, Rangers, Sparta Prague and Brondby

Group B: Monaco, PSV, Real Sociedad and Sturm Graz

Group C: Napoli, Leicester, Spartak Moscow and Legia Warsaw

Group D: Olympiakos, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbahce and Antwerp

Group E: Lazio, Lokomotiv Moscow, Marseille and Galatasaray

Group F: Braga, Red Star Belgrade, Ludogorets and Midjtylland

Group G: Leverkusen, Celtic, Real Betis and Ferencvaros

Like I said, struggle to get a point.

Some absolutely unreal trips though.

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

So after looking at the 2 group draws, it looks like ECL 2nd place is more doable than 3rd in EL. Interesting, and shows that the playoff is big game but is a win-win either way for the club.

3 home wins in Europa League and we're sound

14 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Some absolutely unreal trips though.

Absolutely. As said above it's win win. 

Financially we might be better off winning 1 or 2 in ECL than losing every game in EL 

Looking at the UEFA website it says that clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

Meaning that Omonia cannot get drawn with Larnaca/Partizan and Sivasspor cannot be drawn against Fenerbahce/Slovacko.

2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

3 home wins in Europa League and we're sound

If those are your expectations for this season, I suspect you're going to be disappointed :lol: 

Fxxx the SPFL
12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

If those are your expectations for this season, I suspect you're going to be disappointed :lol: 

Trying to be the glass half full for a change lol

11 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Trying to be the glass half full for a change lol

Why not though, eh? A full stadium, a bouncing atmosphere, and a bit of luck on the park. Stranger things have happened, look at the run that Rangers put together. We were pishing ourselves when they were drawn against Borussia Dortmund...  You're not telling me they are actually as good as how they ended up performing!

Here's how our potential opponents rank based on UEFA club coefficients, which takes in to account results in Europe over the past 5 seasons.  Ranked the ties on the right by coefficient, most favourable ties at the top.

Think I've probably over estimated some of the teams we could face - but previous performance isn't always a reliable indication of future performance :)

Also, Hearts don't have a ranking as not been in any European competition the past 5 years.

image.png.8f061c2d246fb9a272f4144d5782960f.png

Edited by Waterboy

Also - some of the rankings look wrong, but clubs are ranked based on which is higher, their club coefficient or their nations coefficient over the period.  So some teams who have performed poorly, but are from a country with high performing teams might benefit from a bump up the rankings.

Heartsmad1874
2 hours ago, ModJambo said:

Looking at the UEFA website it says that clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

Meaning that Omonia cannot get drawn with Larnaca/Partizan and Sivasspor cannot be drawn against Fenerbahce/Slovacko.

Thats changed from last year, strange. 

The Hogfather

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Motherwell losing to Sligo would be worse than our defeat against Birkirkara.

Just now, The Hogfather said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Motherwell losing to Sligo would be worse than our defeat against Birkirkara.

Maybe not yet but if they get a battering then yes

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

And folk on here slagging off keepers in women's euros. Free kick from about 35 yards straight at the keepers side and he let it go over himself.

Shocking piece of goalkeeping and another nail in coffin of Alexander.

jamboinglasgow

Motherwell are hopeless. I would be worried if I was a Motherwell fan. Then again I still dont understand how they managed to get top 6 and Europe last season as they seemed to stumble into it.

FarmerTweedy
On 27/07/2022 at 19:29, Waterboy said:

Aye, not even going to attempt to understand how they decide who goes where. I think there's probably quite a lot in the various qualifying paths that doesn't make sense but no one has enough of an idea to ever question it 😂

I think the reason that Q3 league path losers go straight into the EL group stage while Q3 champions path losers only go into the EL playoff round is that the teams in the champions path are mainly from lower ranked countries. League path teams are from 5th down to 15th (roughly, looking at a not 100% up to date access list), champions path teams are from 14th potentially right down to 55th and bottom San Marino.  I think it's basically a case of looking after/prioritising the bigger clubs/leagues as usual. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

People can say it’s a losers mentality, and of course I want us to win the play off, but the reality is dropping down to the ECL is the route by which we will earn the most money from Europe this season.

Also, in my opinion, last year the ECL semi finals had better teams in it than the Europa semis.

chuck berrys hairline

Just shows how shyte our league really is. 3rd should be Hearts minimum every season. Pull away from these turds and hopefully get guranteed group stages more or less every season if can get coefficient up.

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Motherwell are hopeless. I would be worried if I was a Motherwell fan. Then again I still dont understand how they managed to get top 6 and Europe last season as they seemed to stumble into it.

Guaranteed they’ll still take points of us though!  This will be one off Scotland’s worst ever results in Europe.  And people try to tell us Scottish football is improving!  I’m not seeing it.  It’s still a shite standard.   Our clubs never ever used to lose to teams from Ireland, Malta, Luxembourg, etc but it’s starting to happen on a regular basis (Rangers even have the Luxembourg embarrassment to their name).

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Guaranteed they’ll still take points of us though!  This will be one off Scotland’s worst ever results in Europe.  And people try to tell us Scottish football is improving!  I’m not seeing it.  It’s still a shite standard.   Our clubs never ever used to lose to teams from Ireland, Malta, Luxembourg, etc but it’s starting to happen on a regular basis (Rangers even have the Luxembourg embarrassment to their name).

they played 2 friendlies before the first leg. That’s utterly appalling management and especially as Sligo had player a dozen or so league games. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

To be fair no one has said recently that Motherwell are improving.

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be fair no one has said recently that Motherwell are improving.

They are always talked up as a community club doing things the right way and a good youth setup but this is a shambles

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

they played 2 friendlies before the first leg. That’s utterly appalling management and especially as Sligo had player a dozen or so league games. 

Totally unprepared. Alexander tried to blame other teams got cancelling but that is a disgrace 

Viking just knocked out Sparta Prague.    Bit of a shock for me.    Same club Rangers played last season.    Meanwhile Slavia Prague beat St Josephs of Gibraltar 11-0 on aggregate. 

Edited by HMFC01

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Viking just knocked out Sparta Prague.    Bit of a shock for me.    Same club Rangers played last season. 

That’s a shock for sure

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Dont think it is, League of Ireland is a better league than people give it credit though its a game Motherwell should win. Kilnarnock losing to the Welsh team a few years back was a much worse result.

Cory McNamara

Well, two goals and Scottish Football is all right.

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Sligo had player a dozen or so league games. 

Two dozen, even more than that.

The Hogfather
58 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Maybe not yet but if they get a battering then yes

Birkirkara were a penalty shoot out away from knocking West Ham out of Europe the previous season. Sligo though? Are they even a professional outfit?

Rick Sanchez

Stephen O'Donnell can't even get off the bench ahead of McGinn ffs :facepalm:

Shows just how much shite we talk, myself included when some of us called for us to sign him.

God bless Joe, Rob and our recruitment team.

28 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Well aren't at the races here. On hesgoal, if folk don't know

I think they stopped showing uefa matches. 

Ricardo Quaresma
27 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Just shows how shyte our league really is. 3rd should be Hearts minimum every season. Pull away from these turds and hopefully get guranteed group stages more or less every season if can get coefficient up.

Any wins we get will pump it up

Салатные палочки

Sligo forward line running Motherwell ragged. 

22 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Heard that as well, awful management.

Is that now something like only 3 wins in the whole of 2022?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts