Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Another embarrassment for Scotland in the europa qualifiers eh?or is it? Isn’t it actually that teams below the top 6 sides in Scotland are just absolutely pants? it's probably the latter tbh, we tend to overestimate Scottish teams because we are from Scotland and like to big up our own, the truth is there's nothing between a motherwell and a sligo rovers in all honesty, Motherwell would probably struggle in the Loi as well.

I mean we have had a couple of shocking euro results as well (birkirkara etc) but at least we have actually beaten some decent teams in our history, bayern,beurdeux,Zagreb, a draw at anfield with liverpool etc.

even bloody St Johnstone drew with Galatasaray last year! Hopefully motherwell never see europe for a long time after this.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

:rofl:

Well, if I remember right (not that I was there) AZ were the 1st team to win the old UEFA cup

I don't think that's correct. 

Midloth_Iain

Well, if I remember right (not that I was there) AZ were the 1st team to win the old UEFA cup

Tottenham were the 1st winners of the Uefa Cup, 1971

Alkmaar reached the final in 1981, beaten by Ipswich Town

When it changed from the fairs cup in 71/72 season spurs beat wolves in the final

8 hours ago, Sertse said:

I don't even find it funny, it's honestly embarrassing, what a shambles.

Well done to Sligo Rovers and thanks to Motherwell for making Scottish football look tinpot again.

Might be better to hold off on the shite flinging until we’ve come through a European tie without a red puss like the last tie we played ?

So they didn't only not win it 1st, they've never won it :qqb006:

Clerry Jambo

Think it’s a bit rich calling Motherwell an embarrassment when it wasn’t that long ago we were pumped by a bunch of maltesars! Not a great result I agree I’ll wait to see how we get on before ribbing the steelmen.

pettigrewsstylist
13 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Think it’s a bit rich calling Motherwell an embarrassment when it wasn’t that long ago we were pumped by a bunch of maltesars! Not a great result I agree I’ll wait to see how we get on before ribbing the steelmen.

My thoughts exactly. 

What’s better for our coefficient ? If we manage to get into the Europa League but end up in a really hard group and fail to win, or managing to notch a couple of wins in the conference? 

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We'll get Partizan Belgrade, dreamt it. 

I dreamt I kicked the shit out a cat for crapping in my garden... Uh oh

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Good for you. It was a humiliating result for Motherwell, an absolute embarrassment for Motherwell and their fans. Pumped by Sligo is a shocker. You drag out a previous result if it makes you feel better though.

Would rather we dropped into the conference, I could see us getting no points in the EL and that would be no good for anyone. 

Edited by jambopilms

Clerry Jambo
22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good for you. It was a humiliating result for Motherwell, an absolute embarrassment for Motherwell and their fans. Pumped by Sligo is a shocker. You drag out a previous result if it makes you feel better though.

Wtf you on about 

16 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Would rather we dropped into the conference, I could see us getting no points in the EL and that would be no good for anyone. 

The aim must be 3rd place in the EL

3 home games at Tynecastle to get enough points. 🇱🇻❤️🇱🇻

11 hours ago, Sertse said:

I don't even find it funny, it's honestly embarrassing, what a shambles.

Well done to Sligo Rovers and thanks to Motherwell for making Scottish football look tinpot again.

Yup embarrassment 

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Let's hope neither comes true and we can have a pint in Linfield

Sounds like a plan.

:jjyay:

1 hour ago, OTT said:

What’s better for our coefficient ? If we manage to get into the Europa League but end up in a really hard group and fail to win, or managing to notch a couple of wins in the conference? 

I would rather we were in the conference league tbh, I know that might sound defeatist to some but I would rather we player teams of a similar size, stature and quality to ourselves, than being in a group that could potentially contain teams like with Man utd, Arsenal, Lazio etc and get pumped/embarrassed 5-0 most likely. Just my opinion but I feel if we were in ECL we would potentially have a better chance of winning a couple of matches and actually compete within the group, much better for our confidence and also coefficient.

8 minutes ago, JAYEL said:

The aim must be 3rd place in the EL

3 home games at Tynecastle to get enough points. 🇱🇻❤️🇱🇻

It good to have an aim I guess, but getting out classed by better teams every Thursday night won't be fun to watch.

Scottish teams need to start pre season and get 5 competitive friendlies under their belt before they play European Qualifiers. Sligo are clearly at peak sharpness, Motherwell clearly nowhere near prepared. 

I'm not bother what happens. 

We're playing 8 European games minimum either way. 

It seemed a pipedream under Cathro, MacPhee and Levein. 

Look how far we've come under Robbie. 

And we'll hopefully do this every season from now on. 

Great time to be a Jambo :love:

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

But Hearts weren't playing last night or last Thursday.

It was Motherwell that got beat twice. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Birkikara game was 6 years ago. Are there any teams out there that haven't had a bad result in the past 6 years? Let it go.

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

What 6/7 years ago??? Very strange point. I will point and laugh at Motherwell because they embarrassed themselves NOW, not 6 seasons ago. 

3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Because we had an embarrassing result 6 or 7 years ago means we're not allowed to comment on an embarrassing result for Scottish Football last night?

I had several non Hearts friends say to me that the result v Birkirkara was embarrassing and I agreed with them.  Doesn't stop me making the same point about Motherwell's result last night.

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Might be better to hold off on the shite flinging until we’ve come through a European tie without a red puss like the last tie we played ?

I call out shite as I see it. If we are shite in Europe don't worry, I will be calling us out as shite also.

Somebodies probably done this already, but in terms of locations its...

Swed v Lux

ROI x NMac

NI v Swi

Slov v Fin

Cyp v Cro

Hun v Cz

Gre v Slov

I have no real knowledge of the strength of these teams currently, but my guess is those in bold will win. So in terms of a fun trip, here's my wish list...

Hun

Swe

Cro

NMac

Swi

Slov

Gre 

Watt-Zeefuik

I'm pretty surprised. I thought Motherwell looked decent and hard to beat at the end of last season. Of course they have priors for nabbing a European place and then doing **** all with it last season. At least St. Johnstone made a good fist of it last season.

I would much rather Scottish teams did well but the takeaway for me is that we have to absolutely flatten the bottom 8 teams this season if we want to progress.

6 hours ago, OTT said:

Fair play to UEFA for their insane complicated rules but from what I can make out it's about a wash. We get points for making it to the EL group stage and we get points for the win to get there, and that roughly makes up for likely better results in the group.

It is a shame that an EFL championship team never won the FA cup last season because I would have loved to have drawn them ………… would be funny to see the soul searching from some brain washed fans as they try and compute that it is so. vastly over rated as a competition :rofl:

Might be a bit of a hiccup if we are drawn against Partizan, looks like a war might be kicking off between Serbia and Kosovo as we speak

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Might be a bit of a hiccup if we are drawn against Partizan, looks like a war might be kicking off between Serbia and Kosovo as we speak

Sad times. 

Peace 

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I imagine UEFA would chuck all the Serbian clubs out of competition if Serbia went after Kosovo again.

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Serbia giving it the old Denazification speech.

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

I imagine UEFA would chuck all the Serbian clubs out of competition if Serbia went after Kosovo again.

I wonder what would happen to whoever drew Partizan, just get handed qualification?

The Hogfather
Just now, Sertse said:

I wonder what would happen to whoever drew Partizan, just get handed qualification?

If that's the route they went down, I think so. But I can't remember what happened when they threw Spartak Moscow out last season.

4 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

If that's the route they went down, I think so. But I can't remember what happened when they threw Spartak Moscow out last season.

Leipzig got a bye

Ricardo Quaresma
On 29/07/2022 at 07:10, Seymour M Hersh said:

I don't think that's correct. 

On 29/07/2022 at 07:22, Midloth_Iain said:

Tottenham were the 1st winners of the Uefa Cup, 1971

Alkmaar reached the final in 1981, beaten by Ipswich Town

Well, I trust you’ve researched that, ok

On 29/07/2022 at 07:45, King prawn said:

So they didn't only not win it 1st, they've never won it :qqb006:

Well, they were first to do something; I don’t think it was floodlights :rofl:

On 29/07/2022 at 13:35, ericb said:

Somebodies probably done this already, but in terms of locations its...

Swed v Lux

ROI x NMac

NI v Swi

Slov v Fin

Cyp v Cro

Hun v Cz

Gre v Slov

I have no real knowledge of the strength of these teams currently, but my guess is those in bold will win. So in terms of a fun trip, here's my wish list...

Hun

Swe

Cro

NMac

Swi

Slov

Gre 

Take plenty money for Zurich then…and then some more. Eye watering expensive. 

19 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Is the draw not today?

Can't be bothered reading through all this.  How does this draw affect us?  Does it tell us who we are playing?

Ricardo Quaresma
6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Can't be bothered reading through all this.  How does this draw affect us?  Does it tell us who we are playing?

Gets it down to 2 teams, so, more or less, yes

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The draw is defo tomorrow but can’t seem to find an exact time?

Noon, in Nyon

periodictabledancer
6 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The draw is defo tomorrow but can’t seem to find an exact time?

UEFA.COM staying all draws are done 13.00 CET. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts