• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No even debating the above with shooter. Not even worth having it because simply put we WONT be stopping oil production until there is a clean alternative that produces £££. Humanity won’t be going back to the dark ages without kicking and screaming. They can have all

the protests they want. 

Anyways I haven’t seen as much powder on a table since Jimmy White cleaned up his act. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

There is no after oil on our horizon. You can't get a jet airliner off the ground with solar panels. And that's not going to change anytime soon.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

There is no after oil on our horizon. You can't get a jet airliner off the ground with solar panels. And that's not going to change anytime soon.

But but but we are all going to share tents and go birdwatching for our holidays. The kids will be laughing and we can hear it because there aren't any evil cars on the road....

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But but but we are all going to share tents and go birdwatching for our holidays. The kids will be laughing and we can hear it because there aren't any evil cars on the road....

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It won’t be a mad max scenario what so ever. 

Just all sunshine and rainbows. 

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It’s an extremely important cause they’re trying to get people to give a s*** about, to be honest.

It’s just a shame people are really thick, short sighted and will completely miss the point.

What a tool!
(Forgive me for being thick and short sighted oh enlightened one!)

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It won’t be a mad max scenario what so ever. 

Just all sunshine and rainbows. 

Yup. Utter nonsense. 

Shooter McGavin
10 minutes ago, Korky said:

What a tool!
(Forgive me for being thick and short sighted oh enlightened one!)

You are forgiven

Captain Canada

I disliked them before for blocking roads, but disrupting the snooker has made by blood (b)oil.

Have they not got the guts to protest outside oil companies? All I've seen is shops, paintings and sporting events impacted by these clowns. Not to mention people trying to get to work or take their kids to school. 

I'd love to see who's funding them. 

51 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

They don’t

You had their statement right in front of you, you even took a screenshot of it and posted it here.

You can clearly see their movement aims to “ensure that the government commits to ending all new licenses and consents for the exploration, development and production of fossil fuels in the UK.”

So how you’ve brought mobile components, international shipping, couches and palm oil into it is really anyones guess.

Fud end off

Captain Canada
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Oil companies and their security would make sure things got moved along sharp-ish, one would assume.

Yeah, exactly. People have paid a lot of money and been looking forward to going to the Crucible. 

Snooker fans are not the enemy when it comes to global oil production. One of them didn't even make it onto the table. They're pathetic. 

Edited by Captain Canada

Most interesting thing to happen for snooker in years. Surprised that it was immediately assumed the orange substance was safe.

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nobody run out of the audience to deck the guy? Poor show.

This was crying out for someone to whip off a sock, fill it with a couple of reds, and start swinging. Alternatively, give the lad a quick prostate exam with the spider. Might have been a half-butt by the end though.

Someone could have tried to shove the cue ball up the guys backside. Would have made a nice addendum to this compilation 

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It’s an extremely important cause they’re trying to get people to give a s*** about, to be honest.

It’s just a shame people are really thick, short sighted and will completely miss the point.

That is the case but jumping on a snooker table and covering yourself in orange powder isn't really doing much to raise the profile of the extremely important cause. 

The story is the method of protest not the message behind it unfortunately. All because these activists are thick as mince. 

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Most interesting thing to happen for snooker in years. Surprised that it was immediately assumed the orange substance was safe.

The officials were staunch 

Shooter McGavin
6 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

That is the case but jumping on a snooker table and covering yourself in orange powder isn't really doing much to raise the profile of the extremely important cause. 

The story is the method of protest not the message behind it unfortunately. All because these activists are thick as mince. 

I get where you are coming from. Some will take it at face value and just see it as a game if snooker being delayed, which is a shame as they’ll miss the bigger picture.

Others will wonder what it’s all about and do a bit of research.

Dick Dastardly
17 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I get where you are coming from. Some will take it at face value and just see it as a game if snooker being delayed, which is a shame as they’ll miss the bigger picture.

Others will wonder what it’s all about and do a bit of research.

True, that's what i did. I checked their website and now i think they are just a bunch of fantasists living in an echo chamber. They state that their protesters are being arrested for "telling the truth" while, in reality, they are being arrested for causing disturbances, protesting illegally and causing damage. The website makes some very strange claims that the world will be like some kind of Trueman Show perfection (without the tv show part), when in reality i doubt it would be anything like that. I mean, sharing hoovers and tents and everyone happy to buy everything second hand?!? Absolute nonsense. 

Shooter McGavin
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

This. It wasn’t like Rishi, was watching snooker last night and suddenly clicked ‘shit we better stop oil licenses, I didn’t know’ 

The protest does next to nothing for the cause. As, you correctly say, the discussion becomes about the methods not the cause. if anything it actually hinders support for them as the public get annoyed with the method. We’ve seen that with ER when the public started dragging protestors of trains and the likes when interferes with commute.

I didn’t even know the cause of protest till I came on here. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As protests go it was definitely more humourous than the other publicity stunts. 

Fanatics are nearly always arseholes. No matter how well intentioned they are as fundamentally because belief is the death of reason. They justify all matter of arseholery for ‘cause’

As an aside,  ignoring the irony, of @Shooter McGavin calling anyone thick 😂. Calling people thick isn’t really conductive to getting  them to agree with you or support the cause!!!! It just results in hardening of attitudes. To make change, you need to get people on your side. Name calling and complaining people are too thick to get it, will win next to zero people over and just detracts from any meaningful point.  If you were serious about contributing or advancing the cause you should defo change tact as opposed to name calling. Whilst that’s directed in you it applies to larger movement who are doing next to feck all to actually garner real support or influence to effect real change. 

Being well intentioned in life counts  for nothing,  especially when your actions don’t match and are detrimental to those your trying to gather support amongst us. 

A fair post, it’s certainly frustrating when people ignore The WHO, NASA, UN, UNEP, WWF, UNICEF, scientists, scholars and researchers the world over who have been telling people for years that a climate emergency is happening in real-time, it’s affecting hundreds of millions of people worldwide right now, could potentially displace over a billion people, and yet people still ignore it and even get angry and hostile when it’s mentioned.

It’s as if it’s an uncomfortable truth that people are ill equipped to deal with.

Shooter McGavin
4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

True, that's what i did. I checked their website and now i think they are just a bunch of fantasists living in an echo chamber. They state that their protesters are being arrested for "telling the truth" while, in reality, they are being arrested for causing disturbances, protesting illegally and causing damage. The website makes some very strange claims that the world will be like some kind of Trueman Show perfection (without the tv show part), when in reality i doubt it would be anything like that. I mean, sharing hoovers and tents and everyone happy to buy everything second hand?!? Absolute nonsense. 

Yeah I’m certainly not on board with absolutely everything they say, but I think at the heart their cause is absolutely worthy and they highlight some real issues we’re facing right now.

The climate crisis is horrific.

15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I disagree that people aren’t listening. Climate change denial is about as prevalent as flat earthers and defo at the extreme end of scale. 

Most people have altered their life styles in the last few years to be more green. Recycling, travelling less, no meat days etc etc are the type of thing that are being undertaken. This especially true of younger generation who are way more eco and socially aware in general.

Even at governmental levels we have seen sone significant commits and actions to address climate change. Though, they having to balance the transition as they try to maintain living standards. This especially true of developing economies, where improving living standards is much more important than a green agenda. Thought that may appply to the UK now 🤪

There is significant actions happening. That said we undoubtably need to do more but it’s not being ignored. It’s pretty much front a centre of most agenda nowadays. 

A huge part of the problem a lot of the demands made by stop oil etc are just not practicable. They would cause a whole new set of problem and probably do more damage than good. 

Not in America, Russia and China it's not. It's big business in those countries and a growing concern over here. The rise of right-wing propaganda is off the charts here. Most Newspapers, with the same Newspapers masquerading as legitimate TV outlets, when all they are is opinion outlets for these big oil giants. The WM is the biggest ***** out the lot. 

So.... Bring on the the fecking carnage, that's what I say. Unless folk think overpaid pricks, with an overinflated ego and lack of reality, wandering around a table putting wee balls in a pocket is more important, than the actual planet the table is attached to. 

Underwater pub games 🤔 Na, feck that.

Edited by ri Alban

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Love it, Just Stop Oil. 

'Just say no' (That worked out well eh?)

Shooter McGavin
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I disagree that people aren’t listening. Climate change denial is about as prevalent as flat earthers and defo at the extreme end of scale. 

Most people have altered their life styles in the last few years to be more green. Recycling, travelling less, no meat days etc etc are the type of thing that are being undertaken. This especially true of younger generation who are way more eco and socially aware in general.

Even at governmental levels we have seen sone significant commits and actions to address climate change. Though, they having to balance the transition as they try to maintain living standards. This especially true of developing economies, where improving living standards is much more important than a green agenda. Thought that may appply to the UK now 🤪

There is significant actions happening. That said we undoubtably need to do more but it’s not being ignored. It’s pretty much front a centre of most agenda nowadays. 

A huge part of the problem a lot of the demands made by stop oil etc are just not practicable. They would cause a whole new set of problem and probably do more damage than good. 

Yeah it’s encouraging that the younger generations accept the current landscape and seem to have a better understanding of the climate crisis than many. That gives me some hope.

My frustrations mainly lay with people who yesterday only seen a game of snooker being delayed, totally ignorant of the bigger picture.

And you’re right there are plenty initiatives being actioned which will have an affect, and I hope there is more to come and peoples concerns are addressed.

I do agree that JSO often come from in from an extreme angle, which isn’t really feasible, but I think a lot of what they say and are trying to raise awareness of is spot on.

One of the main things I’m worried about is countries like China who have essentially funded our cheap lifestyles for so long, with their factories spewing out crap into the atmosphere 24/7.

I’m going to be doing some more research in the coming days to see what their government especially are doing on their part.

Is it just me (it will be, I know), or are all these protesters posh wee w4nks with loaded parents, no jobs, who have bummed about University for a degree in Politics?

I know someone working at the Crucible, the protesters paid £350 a ticket for the hospitality suite.  The woman tried to handcuff herself to the pocket but cocked it up.

JudyJudyJudy

Its the crap from cars and planes which is causing so much damage. Teleportation would completely erase this problem. However that's a long way off. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I can understand your concern and defo get where coming from. ✌🏻

The likes of China have a huge part to play. How you get them to play I have no clue😞 A green agenda is almost in completely opposite the route they’re going, as they try to change their economy by growing it and increase living standards for many. This is true of developing economies elsewhere particularly Africa. 

Though it’s a bit rich of 1st world economies to tell developing economies to stop trying to improve living standards. Considering how we have benefited from raping and pilleging the environment and resources in general. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your last paragraph is spot on. 
China will exploit any opportunity they can though. 
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-solar-power-capacity-could-post-record-growth-2023-2023-02-16/

Dick Dastardly
4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yeah I’m certainly not on board with absolutely everything they say, but I think at the heart their cause is absolutely worthy and they highlight some real issues we’re facing right now.

The climate crisis is horrific.

I don't think they highlight the issues in a way that is going to engage anyone not in their circles though. I read their website last night and it made me think of those idiots who think 5g is killing us. If you're going to be campaigning against something you need to be able to suggest suitable solutions. 

It's definitely a horrific scenario though. 

The message that groups like Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain have are, at their core, pretty spot on.  Things have to change, but it's the way they choose to implement their protest tactics that is entirely off putting.

Jumping on a snooker table and throwing a cloud of orange dust around, interrupting something that has very little impact on the thing they are protesting about, or blocking motorways and impeding emergency service vehicles is doing absolutely nothing to convince the average person that they are doing the right thing.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if this is some back-handed way of painting all protest groups in a bad light and getting people to ignore the message that groups like this are trying to raise awareness of.

4 hours ago, tian447 said:

The message that groups like Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain have are, at their core, pretty spot on.  Things have to change, but it's the way they choose to implement their protest tactics that is entirely off putting.

Jumping on a snooker table and throwing a cloud of orange dust around, interrupting something that has very little impact on the thing they are protesting about, or blocking motorways and impeding emergency service vehicles is doing absolutely nothing to convince the average person that they are doing the right thing.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if this is some back-handed way of painting all protest groups in a bad light and getting people to ignore the message that groups like this are trying to raise awareness of.

Smashing car windows or something more obvious. 

Fair play to the performance art Just Stop Oil is now prioritising.

50 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Trump v McGill delivering.

McGill and The Crucible go together. 

Trump in serious strife at 3-6.  McGill is no shrinking violet.  He'll not back off or choke.  Trump will need to do it all himself or he's going home.

6 hours ago, tian447 said:

I wonder how things would look, if protesters of yesteryear didn't do what they did. We'd be ****ed. 

So good on them.

John Findlay

Recently the best argument for the damage climate change is doing to the planet overall was the very recent series on BBC1 on Sunday evenings Wild Isles. No one on the planet gets the message across than Sir David Attenborough and the BBC wildlife team.

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

A 147 from Kyren Wilson 👏

Superb. 

He had some tricky shots at the end of the red/ black sequence. Class. 

23 hours ago, Victorian said:

Trump in serious strife at 3-6.  McGill is no shrinking violet.  He'll not back off or choke.  Trump will need to do it all himself or he's going home.

Trump oot.

6-10.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Trump oot.

6-10.

4 or 5 absolute dolly shots missed and he was punished on all of them.  McGill was about the worst draw any of the seeds could have had.  I would fancy his chances against anyone apart from Selby or,  near their best,  O'Sullivan or Robertson,  or at his best Murphy.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

4 or 5 absolute dolly shots missed and he was punished on all of them.  McGill was about the worst draw any of the seeds could have had.  I would fancy his chances against anyone apart from Selby or,  near their best,  O'Sullivan or Robertson,  or at his best Murphy.

What's going on with McGill. World number 21? He's far better than that .

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Murphy could be a good shout. Cueing beautifully at the start of his game against Si. Seems to have lost a ton of weight too. 

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What's going on with McGill. World number 21? He's far better than that .

Seems to be a great fit for the best of 19,  25 and on.  Probably relaxes into the long matches,  compared to the instant pressure of the 7s and 9s.  

Just now, Craig_ said:

Murphy could be a good shout. Cueing beautifully at the start of his game against Si. Seems to have lost a ton of weight too. 

Should really think about a different cut of trouser leg but.  Fairly fat arse in those skinny tux trousers is some sight.

21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seems to be a great fit for the best of 19,  25 and on.  Probably relaxes into the long matches,  compared to the instant pressure of the 7s and 9s.  

👍 

Hendry was the same.