The professional world snooker championship 2022

ri Alban

49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's taken Ronnie 30 years to get near Stephen Hendry's 7 world titles and beat his other records. Hendry did it in half the time, and they were all there.

A title is a title. Whether you win it in 15 years or 30. Stephen Hendry is still playing remember. How can you possibly hold someone’s longevity against them?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

A title is a title. Whether you win it in 15 years or 30. Stephen Hendry is still playing remember. How can you possibly hold someone’s longevity against them?

Im more impressed that someone is playing so well for so long and still a contender. Cant say that about  Hendry . 

Hendry could definitely have gone on longer if he'd changed his style. In his prime he was putting away 7 or 8 out of 10 of the tricky long pots that most players wouldn't even take on. Opponents knew that if they gave him half a chance of a pot he would probably punish them. The problem was, when his accuracy reduced to 3 or 4 out of 10 he still couldn't resist taking the long pots on - and he tended to lose a lot of games that way.

Generally it is strange, though, how it's the same old faces that seem to be dominating snooker.

30 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Hendry could definitely have gone on longer if he'd changed his style. In his prime he was putting away 7 or 8 out of 10 of the tricky long pots that most players wouldn't even take on. Opponents knew that if they gave him half a chance of a pot he would probably punish them. The problem was, when his accuracy reduced to 3 or 4 out of 10 he still couldn't resist taking the long pots on - and he tended to lose a lot of games that way.

Generally it is strange, though, how it's the same old faces that seem to be dominating snooker.

It's funny. I thought the likes of Higgins and Williams were finished in the longer games, although still dangerous in say best of 19.

I think Hendry is the type that if he can't be his best he won't do it at all.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Again Hendry won 7 out of 9 finals in 15 years. Ronnie has taken 30 years and he's still on 6, against worse players. If Stephen changed his game to play more safety, he'd still be there .

That's the reason O'Sullivan says Hendry is the best ever.

But that's going to be harder after this weekend. 

Hendry was past his peak when he retired but had still played in 27 World Championships in a row including reaching the quarterfinals and getting a 147 in his final appearance. He was 43 when he retired (3 or 4 years younger than O'Sullivan/Higgins/Williams). 

His comeback and has been very half-hearted and he's barely played in any tournaments this season including skipping the qualifiers for the Crucible so it has been a bit of a waste of time.

2 hours ago, stirlo said:

It shows how good they are Ronnie,Williams,Higgins or it’s the younger players are not as good as they like to think they are. 

It’s no really a sport like football or even golf where you get 10/15 year career at the top level and that’s you. I love snooker I rather see Williams and Higgins get to the quarters and semis than some of the Kyran Wilson’s and the big lad from Northern Ireland Allen 🥱

JudyJudyJudy

OMG sensational black ball finish there from Ronnie. 3-1 he leads 

Victorian

Hendry couldn't have carried on and stayed near the top.  He never had a safety game that could hold up.  You can't just decide to have one.  He also developed the snooker equivalent of the yips.  He could have carried on as a low ranked player but he wasn't interested in the daily practice and the travelling for little reward.  

His magic wand breaking and other commitments ruined Hendry. On his game, he was unbeatable. And it took his decline for all the muppets to take over. He shouldn't have lost to that prick Ebdon, either.

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Hendry couldn't have carried on and stayed near the top.  He never had a safety game that could hold up.  You can't just decide to have one.  He also developed the snooker equivalent of the yips.  He could have carried on as a low ranked player but he wasn't interested in the daily practice and the travelling for little reward.  

This is also pish. Hendry at the top of his game was unbeatable. Safety game or not. If he could have kept that level of play, even in the modern era, nobody would beat him including Ronnie O’Sullivan. Doesn’t make him the greatest player but it does make him, in his prime, the most unbeatable player of all time. He was a phenomenon much like Alex Higgins. Someone who changed the game. 

Yips didn’t ruin him. He blamed that but he was never the same player after he had a wife and family. He blamed many things such losing his cue in the infamous airport incident, yips and ever outside stuff such as snooker authorities themselves. The truth is as soon as he got a family he never practiced to the same level and he deteriorated. 

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

His magic wand breaking and other commitments ruined Hendry. On his game, he was unbeatable. And it took his decline for all the muppets to take over. He shouldn't have lost to that prick Ebdon, either.

pish as well. Having a wife and family killed his game. 

I agree though he was unbeatable on his a game. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlimOzturk

I don’t think there will ever be another era like Higgins, mark Williams, Ronnie O’Sullivan, Hendry and the likes. Snooker dies in the UK when they do  

Aii you have mark delay, trump and other but they are just ****ing shite in comparison. I might be being sentimental here because I grew up the other arseholes 😂

AlimOzturk
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

whats that?

Yips is a mental thing that affects the swing or something like that. It’s like a mental block. Such a weird thing because a person can be an elite sports person then all of a sudden develop  what is called the “yips”. 

I have always viewed it as complete bullshite. An excuse. Then they come up with a term to describe their fall from grace. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Victorian

Hmmm,  anyway...

This has started like Eddie Charlton vs Cliff Thorburn.  Quick re-rack in the 1st and a long re-rack in the 2nd.  Been playing for the best part of an hour and only just into frame 2 (take 2).

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yips is a mental thing that affects the swing or something like that. It’s like a mental block. Such a weird thing because a person can be an elite sports person then all of a sudden develop  what is called the “yips”. 

I have always viewed it as complete bullshite. An excuse. Then they come up with a term to describe their fall from grace. 

Thanks.  I think it can be a thing really. Some players just go off the boil for whatever reason ? 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks.  I think it can be a thing really. Some players just go off the boil for whatever reason ? 

It is something that has affected golfers such as Ernie Els and Bernhard Langer. Darts also has its own name for it, Dartitis, with Eric Bristow and even Gary Anderson affected.

For golfers, the problem generally only affects their putting in the 3-4ft range as they are fine with longer putts. They find it difficult to execute their well practised swing routines, meaning that they miss many more short putts than they did earlier in their careers.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is something that has affected golfers such as Ernie Els and Bernhard Langer. Darts also has its own name for it, Dartitis, with Eric Bristow and even Gary Anderson affected.

For golfers, the problem generally only affects their putting in the 3-4ft range as they are fine with longer putts. They find it difficult to execute their well practised swing routines, meaning that they miss many more short putts than they did earlier in their careers.

Yes definitely a thing . Happens in tennis , but they call it “ choking” ( usually within one match though) 

Edited by JamesM48

This commentator on Eurosport really does live up Ronnie's ringpiece. 

Ronnie looks to be over his earlier wee tiff with the referee.

Edited by neilnunb

NANOJAMBO

Virgo had a semi at that clearance from Ronnie.

Meanwhile I feel I'm watching Cliff Thorburn play Peter Ebdon.

Trump is missing too many chances, which you just can't do against Ronnie.

Can't see him making up 4 frames, which it looks like it's about to be.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Trump is missing too many chances, which you just can't do against Ronnie.

Can't see him making up 4 frames, which it looks like it's about to be.

94% potting rate for Ronnie 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

94% potting rate for Ronnie 

Honestly, I think Trump was daft to offer the re-rack in that messy frame. It might not have suited his game and he might have lost it, but Ronnie was starting to look a bit frustrated with the slow play. Since then it's pretty much been all Ronnie.

NANOJAMBO
28 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

This commentator on Eurosport really does live up Ronmie's ringpiece. 

Ronnie looks to be over his earlier wee tiff with the referee.

This could be fun....

Ronnie O’Sullivan has just revealed on Eurosport he is mic’d up for his Netflix documentary and has been whilst playing throughout the tournament! That will be a fascinating insight when that is released.

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This could be fun....

Ronnie O’Sullivan has just revealed on Eurosport he is mic’d up for his Netflix documentary and has been whilst playing throughout the tournament! That will be a fascinating insight when that is released.

Yeah, I think he's been doing interviews inbetween sessions, which are for the docu. Was hoping it'd result in a first round defeat but sadly I think it'll turn into a celebration. 🤣

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Honestly, I think Trump was daft to offer the re-rack in that messy frame. It might not have suited his game and he might have lost it, but Ronnie was starting to look a bit frustrated with the slow play. Since then it's pretty much been all Ronnie.

Ronnie is just playing better which helps too 😂

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

I'm not sure that was the biggest issue. As per my last post, I just think Hendry couldn't resist taking the long pots on even when he started missing a lot more than he put away. It was really quite frustrating to watch. It was a bit like a footballer who loses most of their pace in their late twenties but doesn't change their style of play at all and their career just fizzles out. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Ronnie is just playing better which helps too 😂

Well, duh. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So many errors from Trump 

Will need to look for something else to watch tomorrow evening at this rate 😐😁

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Just thinking that. Looks like it will be over tomorrow afternoon. 

Was a shame Mark Williams didn't make the final. 

Edited by Mikey1874

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Lol 😂 I bet Ronnie is wishing they could just play all night , as he’s in the zone . That may change tomorrow . It can happen when the momentum is disturbed . 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No shots of Trump's family. 

They have pissed off to the bar 😂

PaddysBar

Have they changed the dimensions of the pickets? Seems to be loads of balls still going in after hitting a cushion. 

NANOJAMBO

I've been watching this for 40 years and I genuinely don't think I've seen a more pitiful performance in a world final. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Have they changed the dimensions of the pickets? Seems to be loads of balls still going in after hitting a cushion. 

Unsure 🫤 

Edited by JamesM48

Jimmy White on Eurosport, asked if Trump were to win...

"It'd be the biggest comeback of all time"

A lot of us remember your arse collapsing, Jimmy.

Mikey1874

Ronnie has played well. 

Just think Mark Williams could have given him a game. 

Edited by Mikey1874

PaddysBar
21 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

"Yes Ron, come on"

"Come on lad"

Piss off tossers.

John Virgo quotes I assume. He doesn’t like any non-English players winning. 

Prick. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Sorry. No idea what this means. 

I meant I’m unsure if they have changed Dimemsions 

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I meant I’m unsure if they have changed Dimemsions 

Ah. Ok. I think it must have happened. The old adage was, if it hits the cushion it ain’t going in but that could have been relaxed a while ago by widening the pockets. 

Just seems to be more prevalent this year. 

Feck Ronnie O'Sullivan. Hopefully something happens overnight and Judd steamrollers him. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Feck Ronnie O'Sullivan. Hopefully something happens overnight and Judd steamrollers him. 

Must be galling for you that theres are no Scots in the final. Terrible  :( 

ps Come on the Rocket  ( however I like Trump as well so wont be greeting in my weetabix if he wins it either) 

R (12).gif