The professional world snooker championship 2022

ri Alban

21 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

:lol::clap:

Surely Fred Davies has to be in with a shout. 

Fred Davis is a case in point, world snooker rankings first began to be formulated in the mid 1970's, and on that very first ranking Fred Davis who was approaching 70 at the time was number 4 in the world. Something that would never happen now.

It used to be an old guys game, even seen as uncool to some degree among the young, then when it started being on TV and there was significant money going into it young guys began playing and pretty quickly the older guys were displaced by the likes of a young Steve Davis. A robot who would practice all day long.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer
19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Fred Davis is a case in point, world snooker rankings first began to be formulated in the mid 1970's, and on that very first ranking Fred Davis who was approaching 70 at the time was number 4 in the world. Something that would never happen now.

It used to be an old guys game

Going back many years when I played snooker a lot I used to get free "coaching" from John Spencer's one time doubles partner. When I say "coaching" he used to randomly hit me over the head with a cue if he didn't like my choice of shot. Happy days/daze. 

4 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Going back many years when I played snooker a lot I used to get free "coaching" from John Spencer's one time doubles partner. When I say "coaching" he used to randomly hit me over the head with a cue if he didn't like my choice of shot. Happy days/daze. 

Never played a lot of snooker but did play a lot of pool for a time and was fairly good at it. Not the best by any means but better than most, with a clear line of sight I could pot a ball from almost anywhere on the table. My positioning was nothing to write home about but when you can pot them from anywhere that doesn't matter so much.

Best tip I ever saw came from Steve Davis who in some show or other put two balls on the table which were touching and positioned to be a perfect plant into a corner pocket. Just about anybody who had ever played at all could have made the pot because you only had to hit the target ball.

When you hit the target ball teh ball in front of can't fail to go into the pocket even if it were a decent distance away from it, provided the shot were hit hard enough of course.

But what he was pointing out is to pot a ball from anywhere all you have to do is look through the ball to the centre of the pocket you're aiming for. And all you have to do is imagine it to be that perfect plant, and hit that ball exactly where the plant ball would have been touching it. For me that worked very well on a pool table at least.

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Never played a lot of snooker but did play a lot of pool for a time and was fairly good at it. Not the best by any means but better than most, with a clear line of sight I could pot a ball from almost anywhere on the table. My positioning was nothing to write home about but when you can pot them from anywhere that doesn't matter so much.

Best tip I ever saw came from Steve Davis who in some show or other put two balls on the table which were touching and positioned to be a perfect plant into a corner pocket. Just about anybody who had ever played at all could have made the pot because you only had to hit the target ball.

When you hit the target ball teh ball in front of can't fail to go into the pocket even if it were a decent distance away from it, provided the shot were hit hard enough of course.

But what he was pointing out is to pot a ball from anywhere all you have to do is look through the ball to the centre of the pocket you're aiming for. And all you have to do is imagine it to be that perfect plant, and hit that ball exactly where the plant ball would have been touching it. For me that worked very well on a pool table at least.

All fine and well but you really have to learn how to strike through the ball in a straight line without traces of side otherwise any shot will just get pushed out of direction. 

Think Matthew stevens would always check his angles before every short. 

JudyJudyJudy

Remember the days of big bill werberneuk drinking pints between shots ? 😂😂

Mark_Mywords
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Remember the days of big bill werberneuk drinking pints between shots ? 😂😂

He usually had 7-8 pints before even starting a match!  Snooker had some personalities back in the day!

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

He usually had 7-8 pints before even starting a match!  Snooker had some personalities back in the day!

Yes they really did . Cliff thorburn the grinder ! Ray Dracula rearden John Spencer et al

12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

All fine and well but you really have to learn how to strike through the ball in a straight line without traces of side otherwise any shot will just get pushed out of direction. 

Think Matthew stevens would always check his angles before every short. 

I didn't have to learn to strike the white ball in the centre, I was doing that naturally right from the start and didn't know the significance of it till I heard an uncle and his friend comment that I was doing so.

I was potting well before I saw Davis plant thing but it still helped massively, he pointed out to me exactly what I was doing when before I hadn't though of it from that perspective.

On 06/04/2023 at 13:37, Mark_Mywords said:

To think he won all those tournaments with that cheap cue.

Jack's bottle goes with the pressure unfortunately.

There might be a funny mind thing with cues, I once heard someone say that all the best cues were bent. Now this wasn't some commentator on TV or something it was just a guy in a pub and my initial thought was what a load of shit.

But on reflection maybe he had something. One pub I played pool in they had maybe half a dozen or so cues on a rack and from that rack I always chose the same cue, one that had a very small bend towards the tip.

I would go down on a shot, looking along the cue and I could see the bend, I would turn the cue around to position the bend to my liking. Sometimes I liked the bend pointing straight down at the table, if foe example I was trying to get significant bottom into it I felt this somehow helped. 

As I say, maybe just a mind thing, but I bet Henry knew every little deviation on that cue.

Selby will bore his way to victory. And Ronnie will tell us all how he hates snooker or how he's playing shite, but always meaning the opposite. Aye if you say so Ronnie.

I put on the snooker, lo and behold, John Virgin is back. Another reason to turn the telly aff.

1 minute ago, R9. said:

Lol

Prefer coverage on euro sport when snooker is on, don’t think the get the world championship which is a shame.

Has Mark no cropped his hair properly. :D

45 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Just got interrupted due to protestors. 

One table covered in orange paint or dust.  

Protesting about the welfare of the balls?! 

3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Not been that amount of powder at the crucible since Higgins v White.

😂 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, indianajones said:

Should've gave him the fat end of the cue. 

****ing arseholes.

I would be raging if there . Surprised no can’t grabbed the Arsehole and gave him a dooin 

Shooter McGavin

It’s an extremely important cause they’re trying to get people to give a s*** about, to be honest.

It’s just a shame people are really thick, short sighted and will completely miss the point.

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

It’s an extremely important cause they’re trying to get people to give a s*** about, to be honest.

It’s just a shame people are really thick, short sighted and will completely miss the point.

Orange is the new black. 

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Should've gave him the fat end of the cue. 

****ing arseholes.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, R9. said:

Scrolling down the comments thought you were going to be for the fat end of the cue 😂😂😂

Imagine paying to go see the snooker and that happening tickets are sold months even a year in advance Just wonder how they got in or planned it for months .

😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yes we know it’s an important cause . No one said it wasn’t . Just disagree with their tactics 

27 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Typed on his device which will have have significant components made from oil, most likely shipped from the other side of the world whilst sitting on his couch which will also have significant components made

from oil all the while having eaten something today made with palm oil. 

But we have just got to stop oil am I right?

Whose the thick one?

Edited by AlimOzturk

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Typed on his device which will have have significant components made from oil, most likely shipped from the other side of the world whilst sitting on his couch which will also have significant components made

Whose the thick one?

👍👍

Dick Dastardly
15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Whose the thick one?

👏 👏 

Shooter McGavin
15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Whose the thick one?

Literally none of that is what the Just Stop Oil movement are trying to raise attention for 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Literally none of that is what the Just Stop Oil movement are trying to raise attention for 👍🏻

It literally is what they are trying to do. 

EB654FF5-3574-4960-A706-D6D3D8F92C82.png

Malinga the Swinga
40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They should be dragged through to a back room and made to listen to Dennis Taylor for an hour.

That's taking it too far. No-one should be forced to listen to Taylor.

Malinga the Swinga

First it was Grand National being delayed and now it's snooker. 

Jail them for vandalism. 6 months in the jail would put an end to these tossers and their pathetic protests.

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It literally is what they are trying to do. 

EB654FF5-3574-4960-A706-D6D3D8F92C82.png

Where in that statement does it talk about mobile components made from oil, or getting a mobile shipped from the other side of the world, or couch components that are made of oil, or food produce made from palm oil?

Shooter McGavin
29 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes we know it’s an important cause . No one said it wasn’t . Just disagree with their tactics 

Yeah it’s a bit inconvenient for those that have bought tickets etc, but I suppose the climate crisis is a wee bit more inconvenient for the millions around the world already suffering as a result.

Like it or not, their tactics work. I’d never heard of them before they started glueing themselves to roads, and here we are discussing them right  now.

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Where in that statement does it talk about mobile components made from oil, or getting a mobile shipped from the other side of the world, or couch components that are made of oil, or food produce made from palm oil?

I refuse to believe you are not attempting to

troll here. The word is in their very name.

They want to stop all oil production and development. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I refuse to believe you are not attempting to

troll here. The word is in their very name.

They want to stop all oils.  

They don’t

You had their statement right in front of you, you even took a screenshot of it and posted it here.

You can clearly see their movement aims to “ensure that the government commits to ending all new licenses and consents for the exploration, development and production of fossil fuels in the UK.”

So how you’ve brought mobile components, international shipping, couches and palm oil into it is really anyones guess.

Edited by Shooter McGavin