Robbie Appreciation Thread

Robbies right hand man

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

If you expected us to be promoted then challenging the OF instantly them you should stop sniffing the glue. 

You seem really  detached from reality. 

It worries me a little. 

That's quite an offensive comment tbh mate no need. 

We can debate without the likes of that, tell me why can't we compete with the old firm there's always this negative attitude when this gets brought up? 

Teams from other country's with wage budgets, not as much as ours seem to be able to do it? 

Why don't we take the same attitude as them? 

Bodo pay less than Livingston in wages mate. 

Having a foreign manager is what is needed as he won't look at the old firm in awe, this is why Stendel beat rangers just an another team to him. 

Hibs the exact same bit naive to the so called smaller teams like St mirren etc and In no way am I saying bring him back 😂

Just the forgein mindset, is different from ours and isn't a defeatist attitude before we step onto the pitch. 

You need this to challenge the old firm. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

16 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If you expected us to be promoted then challenging the OF instantly them you should stop sniffing the glue. 

You seem really  detached from reality. 

It worries me a little. 

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We can debate without the likes of that, tell me why can't we compete with the old firm there's always this negative attitude when this gets brought up? 

Teams from other country's with wage budgets, not as much as ours seem to be able to do it? 

Having a foreign manager is what is needed as he won't look at the old firm in awe, this is why Stendel beat rangers just an another team to him. 

Hibs the exact same bit naive to the so called smaller teams like St mirren etc and In no way am I saying bring him back 😂

Just the forgein mindset, is different from ours and isn't a defeatist attitude before we step onto the pitch. 

As much as I disagree with you on this Bongo 1874 that is a needlessly offensive comment directed at you

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The main factor they are miles ahead over a season is not awe. But as a factor it would  impact every club in the league. Do we need foreign managers at every club? 

Edited by Riccarton3

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

respectfully disagree on that Bongo. In my opinion - a main factor in getting results v the likes of Rangers, Celtic, hibs, aberdeen is that they set up to win against us and give us much more space to exploit. I don't think Stendel fared too well against those teams who generally sit in and play not to lose first and foremost.

Just now, Jim Panzee said:

respectfully disagree on that Bongo. In my opinion - a main factor in getting results v the likes of Rangers, Celtic, hibs, aberdeen is that they set up to win against us and give us much more space to exploit. I don't think Stendel fared too well against those teams who generally sit in and play not to lose first and foremost.

I agree teams coming out and playing football makes it easier for us to play our game. 

But we have 1 win against Celtic, and 1 win against Aberdeen. 

A draw and 2 losses against rangers. 

2 losses against Celtic. 

1 win against Aberdeen 1 loss 1 draw. 

Hibs all draws 3rd game to be played next at home. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

The main factor they are miles ahead over a season is not awe. But as a factor it would  impact every club in the league. Do we need foreign managers at every club? 

I think it would help us, Robbie is doing a great job, and deserves to be in position as manager just now. 

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

3-4-3 was a myth 😂😂

Boy’s on the wind up.

Did it makes us more compact? And better defensively? 

Gordon wasn't having a high volume of shots saved in games? 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'll bail put. 

I don't want to offend you. 

Thread derailed tho, job done. 

Well done

54 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just like Cathro put out a team that took four goals from Rangers...

Watt-Zeefuik
13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Surely no-one has said that with a straight face? We'd skoosh the MLS and A-League with our current squad, never mind the damage Celtic and Rangers would do in those leagues. I think they must be confusing competitiveness with quality (assuming those leagues are more competitive at the top).

MLS boosters are appalled that anyone would suggest it's not far better than the SPFL, but it's nowhere near good enough. It's obscene how much money gets flushed down the toilet here on absolutely wretched football. Charlotte FC, a brand new club playing in a 70k seat stadium have ticket prices that *start* at $70, and they're fielding a team that would struggle to stay with the current Dundee squad.

Nookie Bear
58 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I agree teams coming out and playing football makes it easier for us to play our game. 

2 losses against Celtic. 

I know this may sound ridiculous but we are not going to win every game. 

You can look at individual results all day long and say “not good enough”, “dropped points” etc but it is simply always going to happen to every club at every level. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This is just nonsense and it needs to stop. Stendel managed his results against Rangers because we were a bottom-table banana skin for them and their players weren't sufficiently focused. It's like saying we lost to Dundee and St. Johnstone because those clubs had "belief" rather than that we had a couple of rotten days on the park. United and Mirren have also come at us this season with plenty of "belief" but we had fewer injuries, weren't as exhausted by the fixture pileup, and our players didn't look past those games.

If Rangers had treated the matches against Stendel as crucial, difficult games on par with an OF derby, we wouldn't have had a chance in hell no matter what the tactics were.

The "other countries" bit has been done to death on the other thread that I'm pretty sure you were an active participant on so there's no need to rehash it, but the gist is pretty simple. Most examples of clubs that overhaul bigger clubs are closer to the big clubs in wages than we are to the OF.

Aye, but what about Bodo/Glimt's results versus Roma and Celtic, you say? Funny you should mention that. Their manager is no doubt stellar given what he's achieved, but success in Europe didn't happen overnight. Their manager has been with the club through three seasons now. He took over a near-relegated but still top tier side, and managed to finish second but still far off Molde, a club with a stadium half the size of Tynecastle. That was enough to get them to Europe though, which gave them some extra cash to spend, which they spent wisely and used it to propel themselves to first the next season. On the back of that campaign, they managed qualification to the group stages and immediately used that guaranteed money on transfers from Ajax, Brondby, Chelsea, and Boca Juniors to bolster the squad. On the backs of THAT money well-spent, they then went and gazumped Roma and knocked out Celtic.

Do you see? It had f---all to do with "belief" and everything to do with steadily building towards success and spending money wisely, and allowing a clearly competent manager the time and space to build a squad over years.

This is why you're getting so much deserved abuse for this nonsense. You're not just barking up a tree, but if nonsense like this took hold of in the director's room, it would be actively harmful to Hearts progress towards the goal you say you want.

A Bodo-like path is already in front of us. We have a manager who has taken a squad on lower wages than our peer clubs and run out in front of them and turned the race for third into an absolute snoozer. On the back of this, pending a thumping of our hapless rivals, we have an opportunity to turn our revenue gap to the OF from a 6-8x multiplier to a 3-4x multiplier, and just as importantly open up a decent wage gap between us and rest of the Scotland. That is HUGELY important. This is how we get stuck into the title race.

But not if complainers like you toss aside our current management group who are very competently and quickly moving toward that goal!

In short, tl;dr, GTF.

Edited by Led Tasso
Took out a bit of, er, colorful language.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Berra than you said:

Agree with your points on this but will also add that another factor in why it's been seamless is that The formation is fluid. With the ball we essentially resort back to 3 at the  back

This

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

2 losses against Celtic. 

yeap - don't disagree with the stats. My point was more that rangers openness was more a fact in stendel gaining a win versus them. 

personal view is that Stendel should've ditched his usual tactics / style / raison d'être pretty soon after arriving to keep us up - and THEN the following season do it his preferred way

May one-six

Re this ongoing non-Robbie conversation, one thing I don't get is the theory that foreign managers 'won't have a fear of the OF'. It's as if people believe that a manager outside of Scotland has never heard of Celtic and Rangers. The truth is that any foreign football person worth his/her salt is likely to be aware of the OF.  In fact, they're more than likely the only Scottish clubs most foreign supporters have ever heard of. It's like saying that a Scottish manager taking over a middle-ranking Spanish club 'won't have a fear' of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico. In other words, it's nonsense.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I believe that bodo guy could take us to were we should be as a club. 

Maybe he could, but we already have a great manager who's performing above expectation, knows the club inside out, and has the respect of the majority of the fans.

He's earned the right to a bit of support, even from the lunatic fringe!

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Maybe he could, but we already have a great manager who's performing above expectation, knows the club inside out, and has the respect of the majority of the fans.

He's earned the right to a bit of support, even from the lunatic fringe!

Lunatic fringe? 

1_Claudia-Winkleman-comments.jpg

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why can't we compete with the OF? How about if we got even close to them by the January window they would simply spend even more money than they did this January window when they signed half the Japanese league's best players and a 200k/week Juventus player. Then they'd spend another 10m or so in summer.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, May one-six said:

Re this ongoing non-Robbie conversation, one thing I don't get is the theory that foreign managers 'won't have a fear of the OF'. It's as if people believe that a manager outside of Scotland has never heard of Celtic and Rangers. The truth is that any foreign football person worth his/her salt is likely to be aware of the OF.  In fact, they're more than likely the only Scottish clubs most foreign supporters have ever heard of. It's like saying that a Scottish manager taking over a middle-ranking Spanish club 'won't have a fear' of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico. In other words, it's nonsense.

It's funny because it's true. 

It's also like folk think that it's the only ingredient and no Scottish manager has ever thought of "having a go" or "pressing". 

Apparently according to the brains trust-All a team needs to do is have no fear, have a go, press and celtic and rangers will have no answer and be like-

632177845-I_Give_Up.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's funny because it's true. 

It's also like folk think that it's the only ingredient and no Scottish manager has ever thought of "having a go" or "pressing". 

Apparently according to the brains trust-All a team needs to do is have no fear, have a go, press and celtic and rangers will have no answer and be like-

632177845-I_Give_Up.jpg

You're right mate

WheatfieldWarrior
8 hours ago, Sooks said:

How is Stendel getting on these days anyway does he have a club

No club currently - was a Nancy boy (well managed them) for about 10 games without a win since leaving us.

24 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

No club currently - was a Nancy boy (well managed them) for about 10 games without a win since leaving us.

Wasn't in awe of the teams in the league, though

26 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Not great it is possible that his successful period was a purple patch blip

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

This is just nonsense and it needs to stop. Stendel managed his results against Rangers because we were a bottom-table banana skin for them and their players weren't sufficiently focused. It's like saying we lost to Dundee and St. Johnstone because those clubs had "belief" rather than that we had a couple of rotten days on the park. United and Mirren have also come at us this season with plenty of "belief" but we had fewer injuries, weren't as exhausted by the fixture pileup, and our players didn't look past those games.

If Rangers had treated the matches against Stendel as crucial, difficult games on par with an OF derby, we wouldn't have had a chance in hell no matter what the tactics were.

The "other countries" bit has been done to death on the other thread that I'm pretty sure you were an active participant on so there's no need to rehash it, but the gist is pretty simple. Most examples of clubs that overhaul bigger clubs are closer to the big clubs in wages than we are to the OF.

Aye, but what about Bodo/Glimt's results versus Roma and Celtic, you say? Funny you should mention that. Their manager is no doubt stellar given what he's achieved, but success in Europe didn't happen overnight. Their manager has been with the club through three seasons now. He took over a near-relegated but still top tier side, and managed to finish second but still far off Molde, a club with a stadium half the size of Tynecastle. That was enough to get them to Europe though, which gave them some extra cash to spend, which they spent wisely and used it to propel themselves to first the next season. On the back of that campaign, they managed qualification to the group stages and immediately used that guaranteed money on transfers from Ajax, Brondby, Chelsea, and Boca Juniors to bolster the squad. On the backs of THAT money well-spent, they then went and gazumped Roma and knocked out Celtic.

Do you see? It had f---all to do with "belief" and everything to do with steadily building towards success and spending money wisely, and allowing a clearly competent manager the time and space to build a squad over years.

This is why you're getting so much deserved abuse for this nonsense. You're not just barking up a tree, but if nonsense like this took hold of in the director's room, it would be actively harmful to Hearts progress towards the goal you say you want.

A Bodo-like path is already in front of us. We have a manager who has taken a squad on lower wages than our peer clubs and run out in front of them and turned the race for third into an absolute snoozer. On the back of this, pending a thumping of our hapless rivals, we have an opportunity to turn our revenue gap to the OF from a 6-8x multiplier to a 3-4x multiplier, and just as importantly open up a decent wage gap between us and rest of the Scotland. That is HUGELY important. This is how we get stuck into the title race.

But not if complainers like you toss aside our current management group who are very competently and quickly moving toward that goal!

In short, tl;dr, GTF.

1st part wrong we came up against a rangers that was going for the title, not a bad effort in trying to play down the victory but 👍

2nd part do you care to tell me how a team that pays less than Livingston in total wages can beat Celtic home and away , how that is not belief in winning a game of football? 

3rd part what players did they sign from brondby, Chelsea, 

Ajax, Boca Juniors? 

They sign domestic based players on free transfers, and will be lucky if they have paid over £1 million in transfer fees in the last 10 years. 

They have made over £15 mil in the last 5 years. 

So I don't know where you are getting that information from? 

I'm maybe wrong 👍

They bring through youth? 

So please tell me for a club that pays less in wages than molde and rosenborg how is that buying way to success. 

30 k less than rosenborg in wages and 32 k less than molde. 

This is why Austin macphee came out with hearts should be challenging the old firm, and in Europa league. 

As far as abuse doesn't bother me. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

6 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

5 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Just like Cathro put out a team that took four goals from Rangers...

How come we don't win more often with them playing so open then? 

Cathro was never his own man, you know exactly who was pulling the strings. 

6 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

No i just think that mentality is a big thing in football, and if you try too contain very rarely will you get a win, but if you play positive you stand a better chance. 

And I would rather watch my team have a go than retreat. 

I don't want other teams to sign foreign manager's 😂 I want a manager that can challenge the old firm, and have us in the Europa league group stages or in Europe. 

I'll give Robbie the chance to do that 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know this may sound ridiculous but we are not going to win every game. 

You can look at individual results all day long and say “not good enough”, “dropped points” etc but it is simply always going to happen to every club at every level. 

And I understand that Nookie, but surely you can agree Hearts should always be going for the best? 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

And I understand that Nookie, but surely you can agree Hearts should always be going for the best? 

Are we not doing that?

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I would say something similar but a little more nuanced we should only keep what we have until they are no longer improving and then look to try and up grade 

Naisys Tackle

Manager of the year when we win the cup.

From the fizzzies to third miles ahead of the rest should be acknowledged. 

We should not be sacking managers when they are doing well and still improving on the off chance that we can get someone who might do better

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We should not be sacking managers when they are doing well and still improving on the off chance that we can get someone who might do better

Remember Alan Curbishley departing Charlton? They were doing very well and subsequently dropped like the proverbial stone. This piece suggests that it was (at least partly) his decision to step down when he did but my memory is that the notion that he'd 'taken them as far as he could' was the main driver of his departure.

If you can be bothered reading it, then here it is:-

https://thesetpieces.com/interviews/alan-curbishley/

36 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Will certainly get one more season. 

2nd part do you care to tell me how a team that pays less than Livingston in total wages can beat Celtic home and away , how that is not belief in winning a game of football? 

Do you have links for that claim? 

The information I have is that in 2020 Bodo Glimt wage bill was £2.7m and Livingston’s was £1.6m. 

How come we don't win more often with them playing so open then? 

Cathro was never his own man, you know exactly who was pulling the strings. 

Because they have players who are better - but on an off day the space they give us allows us to win

Nookie Bear
49 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Pretty much. 

I’m not a massive fan of Robbie but even I think we should wait for him to fail before considering his position. 

38 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Remember Alan Curbishley departing Charlton? They were doing very well and subsequently dropped like the proverbial stone. This piece suggests that it was (at least partly) his decision to step down when he did but my memory is that the notion that he'd 'taken them as far as he could' was the main driver of his departure.

I remember that well - staggered the charlton fans wanted rid of curbishley for only finishing 8 - 10th in the top flight. 

that went well for them…

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Pretty much. 

I’m not a massive fan of Robbie but even I think we should wait for him to fail before considering his position. 

Of course any thing else is complete madness every new manager is a risk and you should only take that risk when things are going poorly

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

1st part wrong we came up against a rangers that was going for the title, not a bad effort in trying to play down the victory but 👍

Ajax, Boca Juniors? 

They sign domestic based players on free transfers, and will be lucky if they have paid over £1 million in transfer fees in the last 10 years. 

I'm maybe wrong 👍

So please tell me for a club that pays less in wages than molde and rosenborg how is that buying way to success. 

This is why Austin macphee came out with hearts should be challenging the old firm, and in Europa league. 

As far as abuse doesn't bother me. 

If we're comparing managing Bode to managing us, we have to compare the leagues, TV money, etc.

Is the Norwegian TV deal much bigger than ours? Yes. 

Does the Norwegian league have 2 teams of the stature and budgets of Celtic and Rangers? No.

Is their league set up to cater to maintaining that status quo of two big clubs dominating by forcing everyone to play them 4 times a season? No.

Is the financial gap between the two top Norwegian teams and Bode as big as the gap between us and the OF? No. From what I can see Rosenburg's budget is about 2-3 times bigger. They don't seem to drop 3-5m on multiple players every season either, like the OF do. Strangely Aaron Ramsey did not choose Rosenburg for his retirement plan.

Do two big Norwegian clubs hoover up most of the best domestic talent as kids, or later by offering them (or any of the other teams' best players) 4 x their wages and guaranteed Euros football to join them, making it impossible for a club to mount a long-term challenge and keep a good team together? No. In fact, Bode's success recently seems to have been built on them hoovering up the best young talent to offer them a pathway to bigger clubs. Like we try to but we do face more competition.

The current Bode manager knew the best young talent from his time in the Norwegian lower leagues, and turned them into a good team. Would he be able to replicate that in our league? And let's say he came here and did the outstanding job you think he would do - challenge the OF and do well in Europe - how long exactly do you think it would be before one of the OF would offer him millions to join them and have a go at CL football? I'd say less than one season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Happens to loads of clubs. 

Arsenal under Wegner. 

Look at Aberdeen with Mcinnes. 

Bob first time round for us. 

Even man utd recently. 

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Happens to loads of clubs. 

Arsenal under Wegner. 

Look at Aberdeen with Mcinnes. 

Bob first time round for us. 

Even man utd recently. 

Hibs under Fenlon.  Kept Malmo to single figures.  No appreciation for some sections of their support.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Every year the OF is playing for the title. Every year they slip on banana skins. It was a fluke of the kind that happens every season. (And with those pining for Stendel, it's always the Rangers game, never the Hamilton game, isn't it?)

I already did and apparently you didn't bother to read it, but to recap, they built slowly over time and gave a promising manager time to build his squad and spent their money wisely. He's in his fourth year. Stability is crucial.

Ajax, Boca Juniors? 

Their keeper is from Chelsea. You can look these things up.

Transfermarkt says they paid over £700k in 2020 alone, so this seems wrong.

UEFA's website says they made €7m in UEFA payments alone last year this is plainly incorrect.

I'm maybe wrong 👍

Just maybe!

Ah yes, ra youths! Of course I have no idea but this always seems like a backhanded way to have a swipe at Neilson for his failure to make the SPFL re-instate the reserve league, which has traditionally been how Hearts brought its youth along but isn't available at the moment.

Please tell me how a club paying less in wages than Aberdeen and Hibernian FC is 16 points ahead of each. And I never said they were buying their way to success. I said they were slowly building revenues and spending them wisely without making stupid rash decisions like undermining their manager with grass-is-greener shite during the rebuilding project.

I'm not sure where you're getting that, but I think those numbers must be in Kronen. The best I can find say that Rosenborg's wage bill in 2020 was around £9m while Bodo/Glimt's was around £4m. I would expect that's now a good bit higher given their European success.

Rosenborg's stadium is the size of Easter Road, Bödo/Glimt's is the size of McDiarmid. In terms of ticket revenues Bödo/Glimt finishing above Rosenborg is roughly as shocking as St. Johnstone finishing above Hibs.

Meanwhile, Norway's Eliteserien TV revenue £68m while the SPFL gets £30m. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country )  Additionally, all of their top clubs depend on European income to supplement their success, which again, as I put in my first post, is how Bödo/Glimt built their side into Mourinho beaters.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Every year the OF is playing for the title. Every year they slip on banana skins. It was a fluke of the kind that happens every season. (And with those pining for Stendel, it's always the Rangers game, never the Hamilton game, isn't it?)

I already did and apparently you didn't bother to read it, but to recap, they built slowly over time and gave a promising manager time to build his squad and spent their money wisely. He's in his fourth year. Stability is crucial.

Their keeper is from Chelsea. You can look these things up.

Transfermarkt says they paid over £700k in 2020 alone, so this seems wrong.

UEFA's website says they made €7m in UEFA payments alone last year this is plainly incorrect.

Just maybe!

Ah yes, ra youths! Of course I have no idea but this always seems like a backhanded way to have a swipe at Neilson for his failure to make the SPFL re-instate the reserve league, which has traditionally been how Hearts brought its youth along but isn't available at the moment.

Please tell me how a club paying less in wages than Aberdeen and Hibernian FC is 16 points ahead of each. And I never said they were buying their way to success. I said they were slowly building revenues and spending them wisely without making stupid rash decisions like undermining their manager with grass-is-greener shite during the rebuilding project.

I'm not sure where you're getting that, but I think those numbers must be in Kronen. The best I can find say that Rosenborg's wage bill in 2020 was around £9m while Bodo/Glimt's was around £4m. I would expect that's now a good bit higher given their European success.

Rosenborg's stadium is the size of Easter Road, Bödo/Glimt's is the size of McDiarmid. In terms of ticket revenues Bödo/Glimt finishing above Rosenborg is roughly as shocking as St. Johnstone finishing above Hibs.

Meanwhile, Norway's Eliteserien TV revenue £68m while the SPFL gets £30m. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country )  Additionally, all of their top clubs depend on European income to supplement their success, which again, as I put in my first post, is how Bödo/Glimt built their side into Mourinho beaters.

Lovely effort 👍🏻