• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

avhudtheteeshirt

Robbie has really stuck it to all the doubters on this forum!!!

Our style of play has improved, tho' not in every game, yet, but as a work in progress it looks impressive.

With all our injuries, we've managed to keep it going and rake up a 14 point lead for 3rd.

So Robbie 👏👏👏 :jambobanana:

Rick Sanchez
23 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

No posts pointing to a replacement or even hankering for previous managers? For another day.

Alex Neil ain't off to the best start at Sunderland.

Roberto is doing a fine job progressing the club forwards, as those not zipped up the back predicted he would.

Knows the job and is getting the best out of his staff.

As you were Roberto, doing a fine job.

been here before

The best thing about playing well just now, sitting third and having  the prospect of European football on the horizon is if we're sitting 4th after a couple of games next year then the bangers can get all ragin' again.

They really should look at the long game. Forget your tears and snotters just now and grudgingly accept he's doing well just now, as the slightest dip in standards for whatever reason next year and you can be all foaming and looking to hire a plane.

Alex Neil might even be looking for a new job by then and perhaps, if he's really, really lucky, Bongo's favourite German abject failure will still be out of work too so we could hear all about why we should re-employ him.

Win/win for everyone.

Edited by been here before

Tom Hardy’s Dug

A really good summary of reasons for our stodginess last season above.

People are over playing the change in formation a bit I think. 3-4-3 is still played during games and on any event that formation built the entire foundations for our success this year.

But starting with 4-2-3-1 has rejuvenated us - equally it was combined with key injuries clearing up.

The reality is our formation is much more fluid than one or the other it’s a kind of hybrid - which is all credit to Robbie and the players that they can switch it around with success during games.

15 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Couldn't tell you, I don't make a record of every football match ever played.

That's disappointing

been here before
15 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Couldn't tell you, I don't make a record of every football match ever played.

****in part timer.

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Our style of play has improved, tho' not in every game, yet, but as a work in progress it looks impressive.

Anyone who expects an aesthetically pleasing style of play, is an idealist. You need to play ugly sometimes. You absolutely should play ugly to win ugly sometimes 

A manager who sticks rigidly to some attractive, attacking or possession based style (unless they are Pep at Barca 08-12) is a fool and will drop points purely out of stubbornness 

It's a weird footballing world we live in where any match where we are deemed negative is slammed.

Defensive football, counter attacking or long ball football, even turgid ugly scrappy football has it's place and purpose

3 hours ago, nopasaran said:

Main point for me is that I’m really enjoying watching Hearts again.

This for me! Accumulating points and being entertained - what’s not to like! 😊

2 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Forgive me, do you win a trophy for going toe to toe with the old firm?

Over the course of a season it gives you a better chance, to win the league that's why I say home games, against the old firm are must win. 

Maybe I'm just demanding I don't know, the only games I can complain about with the old firm this season are both against rangers 1 at home, 1 away but we did have chances in both games 👍

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Greatest post-Walker, perhaps.

Robbie needs a league title or two to be the greatest ever.

In those days it was much easier to win a league. 

That's what Robbie should be striving for to regulary challenge the old firm, in cups and league 👍

If he wins cup in my opinion he has to be considered best manager of Hearts ever in most recent times. 

His win percentage is unbelievable. 

The only thing I can complain about is not winning more big games like the ugly two, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. 

But he's working towards that I'm fair 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

You're genuinely hurting because he's doing well. 😁

Hurting that much that I've came out with if he wins the cup, he is our greatest manager ever? 

Just stop. 

Please forgive me guys that I ever put demands on Hearts when they are 16 points clear of last seasons 3rd place team, I'm a hater for being so demanding and wanting the best 😂😂

Robbie deserves full credit I've never hide my opinion on that I think we could get better etc manager. 

I'm not Robbies biggest fan but he's proved me wrong. 

Full credit for that. 

But the original argument was on how to measure success? and because I pointed out Hibs achieved 3rd place and a Scottish cup final under Ross I'm a hater.

fabienleclerq

Some folk will never change their opinion of RN, they've dug their heels in and are too stubborn to admit they've got it wrong. 

I've been critical of various decisions this season but overall we can't ask for a huge amount more. 

I think we've shown we can mix our play up this season, there's been plenty good football and a few ugly hard fought results. The players are well coached, the way we cover for players out of position etc shows that. 

Regardless of how it finishes its been a good season. 

Bazzas right boot

The cup is an opportunity to get to a final and win the cup, but no matter what we are in a really good place for next season and beyond. 

We are by quite a bit now the 3rd best team in the country again and baring hibs winning the cup are set up for a cracking season next year on and of the park. 

Ann corrected the CL / Stendel mistake. 

We came out of Covid thanks to Anderson and the fans in a good place. 

The stand has been built along with the shop, museum etc. 

The football team is not only competitive and good but also improving. 

Savage has ambition. 

Bob has the magic. 

A cup win would be the cherry on the cake, but no matter what the next couple of seasons are going to be fun. 

would like to see robbie given more financial backing in terms of being able to get players outside the FREE/LOAN market

Simms for 200k would be a great start

Liam Kelly 300k as backup for scotlands number 1

Also need a full back, new winger, a centre back, an attacking midfielder central and also another striker

stewart, woodburn, cochrane, moore, ginnely, gms will all be offski

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Please forgive me guys that I ever put demands on Hearts when they are 16 points clear of last seasons 3rd place team, I'm a hater for being so demanding and wanting the best 😂😂

Robbie deserves full credit I've never hide my opinion on that I think we could get better etc manager. 

Full credit for that. 

But the original argument was on how to measure success? and because I pointed out Hibs achieved 3rd place and a Scottish cup final under Ross I'm a hater.

I have never really wanted Robbie out but I do sometimes think we could get a better manager and have sometimes thought we let him see out this contract then switch.

But realistically - who? And what guarantees would they bring they would operate better in the SPL.

I think we are now at the stage in our progression where it would be hugely high risk to bring in another manager.

We have seen what happens when Robbie leaves once before. Once bitten.

I also think the players DO play for him despite what has sometimes otherwise been said and it is also clear he has nurtured an environment where the squad as a whole practically adore each other - I’ve rarely seen that sort of unity and happiness in a Hearts squad. Robbie is key in creating that (as is recruiting the right character of player).

More important that he gets an extended and improved contract IMO.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Hes turned it around in many ways.

And let's not forget he inherited a mess and one with a deep rooted losing mentality.

I wanted him gone last season and I stand by my opinion that he should have .Happy that hes proving me wrong and that the board held their nerve given they previously let Levein have too much rope.

Yesterday was a real measure given the well drilled opposition.Also worth noting the team spirit seems good.

Let's see what happens .But I've enjoyed the football this season and it's been a while since I've said that .

Guest ToqueJambo

He passed a big test after that sticky patch. He didn't panic and changed a few things, not only the formation but how we use certain players. And the impact of getting our central mids to contribute more in an attacking sense has been huge - 5 goals from central mids in 4-5 games. It's been great to see Haring and Beni charging into the box to get on the end of things the last few games.

By the way, we're not getting nearly enough credit for the football we've been playing. If this was Hibs they'd be swoon-ing over some of our passing, movement and general attacking play. Every game seems to have some genuine moments of sublime skill from our players as well - a sign of the confidence in the players.

ScandinavianJambo
20 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Exactly. Just seems like such a snide, pointless statement to throw in. 

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Full credit for that. 

Not a hater, but perhaps finding it impossible not to say "yes but"...

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Very different league this year. Much more competitive below the OF than 20/21 because everyone can beat everyone - a sign of the strength of the league this year rather than it being weak. Hibs didn't rise above the rest nearly as convincingly as we've done. They didn't score as much as we are, they didn't build as good a team as we have and they didn't play as good football. They only got 4 pts off the OF all season and didn't beat either of the OF. They got gubbed off Livi, Ross County, Motherwell and St J at home. They didn't play anyone decent in both of their cup runs and were easily beaten in a final and semi by St J. They also lost in the semi final of the Scottish Cup that season remember - to us under Neilson. There's no comparison and there's no reason to bring it up.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Very different league this year. Much more competitive below the OF than 20/21 because everyone can beat everyone - a sign of the strength of the league this year rather than it being weak. Hibs didn't rise above the rest nearly as convincingly as we've done. They didn't score as much as we are, they didn't build as good a team as we have and they didn't play as good football. They only got 4 pts off the OF all season and didn't beat either of the OF. They got gubbed off Livi, Ross County, Motherwell and St J at home. They didn't play anyone decent in both of their cup runs and were easily beaten in a final and semi by St J. They also lost in the semi final of the Scottish Cup that season remember - to us under Neilson. There's no comparison and there's no reason to bring it up.

They also weren't newly promoted or underwent a complete rebuild either. 

He was also sacked for a winless run of about 10 games this season. 

He also never finished third in a previous spell with the same club after getting promoted ahead of rangers and Hibs. 

The comparison is just a desperate attempt to try and down play any measure of success we have under Bob. 

Tbh He needs to ask himself why? 

Weakened Offender
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Full credit for that. 

He doesn't deserve anything like full credit for proving you wrong. 😉

Psychedelicropcircle
21 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

If his budget was cut for this season then that’s not right 

and if we are Guaranteed group stage  football next season the budget will surely increase by some margin 

i was talking about his hair doo😂

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Full credit for that. 

What a meaningless and pointless opinion.       

As for comparing us to Ross & Hibs achievements.... if Robbie had got Hearts to the SC final last season and lost it to St. Johnstone, you'd be all over this place calling for him to be sacked.

You just can't help yourself, can you ?   

38 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

i was talking about his hair doo😂

🤣 think am going to lay off the drink 😅

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Thinking about it, recognising Neilson will move on at some point, I wouldn’t be disappointed if what happens over the next 2 or 3 years is that Naismith stays with us, gets more senior coaching experience and then it’s him that takes over.

Anyway, Sunday contemplation over.

jamboinglasgow
On 19/03/2022 at 19:49, 22games nro said:

When were we going through the recent sticky patch he knew he had to change formation and to his credit he seems to have changed to suit not only the team but to also play, dare I say it entertaining football.

meanwhile SM is stubbornly sticking with the "Belgium" formation/system for the hobo’s,  however their players ….. actually don’t need to finish the sentence 😎😎😎

I dont think Robbie gets enough credit for that. Last season we were doing enough through out the season, then lost to Brora and Queen of the South. He changes things completely, moves to 3-4-3 and we win all bar 1 of our remaining games. We carry an unbeaten league run from that formation into this season and go through the first 11 games undefeated. We have then been consistent with it. After the winter break we come back but the team's form stutters. He changed it to a 4-4-2 and since then we have won 4 of our last 5 games (the other a draw after losing 5 players to injury in a game) and had 3 clean sheets in that. The ability to change things up is important.

This season so far we have scored the most and conceded the least out of any team outwith the Old Firm. If we win against Ross County we have a 50% win rate for the season so far.

One thing to be fair it is a group effort that has brought success. The recruitment has been crucial to make us competitive. But I think Robbie can be undervalued here. He is not perfect and does deserve criticism at times, but he is one of the most effective managers we have had for a while.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'll happily give appreciation once the season is done. That is because we should be playing in the final game of the season.

WheatfieldWarrior
9 hours ago, Masonic said:

would like to see robbie given more financial backing in terms of being able to get players outside the FREE/LOAN market

Simms for 200k would be a great start

Liam Kelly 300k as backup for scotlands number 1

Also need a full back, new winger, a centre back, an attacking midfielder central and also another striker

stewart, woodburn, cochrane, moore, ginnely, gms will all be offski

Ginelly and Stewart both have contracts for next season.  I think they'll both still be here.

I agree Simms would be a good bit of business. 

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I dont think Robbie gets enough credit for that. Last season we were doing enough through out the season, then lost to Brora and Queen of the South. He changes things completely, moves to 3-4-3 and we win all bar 1 of our remaining games. We carry an unbeaten league run from that formation into this season and go through the first 11 games undefeated. We have then been consistent with it. After the winter break we come back but the team's form stutters. He changed it to a 4-4-2 and since then we have won 4 of our last 5 games (the other a draw after losing 5 players to injury in a game) and had 3 clean sheets in that. The ability to change things up is important.

This season so far we have scored the most and conceded the least out of any team outwith the Old Firm. If we win against Ross County we have a 50% win rate for the season so far.

One thing to be fair it is a group effort that has brought success. The recruitment has been crucial to make us competitive. But I think Robbie can be undervalued here. He is not perfect and does deserve criticism at times, but he is one of the most effective managers we have had for a while.

Neilson's league win rate overall, even taking out the Championship seasons, has to be up there with the best Hearts managers we've had who have been with us for 2+ seasons in the top league. Counting the championship I'd take a guess it could be the best of any modern manager who's managed us for any length of time.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Don't want to say too much as I normally ignore the Neilson bashing threads but nobody can deny that we now look like a good team that play good football.  

Just now, TexasAndy said:

Don't want to say too much as I normally ignore the Neilson bashing threads but nobody can deny that we now look like a good team that play good football.  

Not the finished article obviously however some of the passing and movement is sublime.

The guys are beginning to express themselves now. The ponderous tippy tappy passing round the back is not nearly as evident. We aren’t allowing teams to settle back into their formations as much.

We carry a genuine and effective fast counter attack which teams are wary of and are reluctant to leave exposed to.

All in all I am very happy with how we approach games now. It’s taken a bit of time but I would not be relishing coming up against a Hearts team right now.

18 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Ginelly and Stewart both have contracts for next season.  I think they'll both still be here.

I agree Simms would be a good bit of business. 

stewarts not hearts quality we need strong backup 

ginnely should go play every week for someone down england in league one

Brick Tamland

Great thread start by the OP and so refreshing to see the infiltrators and trolls avoid it.

Great season so far and we are 2 games away from it being a fantastic cup winning season.

I also think that finally even some of the negative fans can appreciate that passing backwards and sideways is a tactical necessity when we are trying to break down teams and when we do it well, we do it really well.

Tynecastle has been playing her part too as the atmosphere has been brilliant at times.

Long may we continue our progress.

On 20/03/2022 at 15:48, ToqueJambo said:

Another difference is they finished third in a league that didn't have Hearts in it.

A lot of credit has to go to the owners for not bowing to fan pressure after Brora.  

With our budget, there are always going to be bumps along the way  in the league campaign - Dundee and St Johnstone most recently; and the last display at Ibrox - but overall, no one can really have any complaints this season.  

Nookie Bear
On 19/03/2022 at 19:13, Bongo 1874 said:

To put things into context, we have 3rd Hibs achieved that last season they also got to the Scottish Cup final resulting in a loss to St Johnstone, they were put out Europe very early. 

I suppose it all depends how you measure success really. 

If Robbie wins cup he undoubtedly would have to go down as Hearts greatest manager ever. 

If he doesn't he's achieved the same as Jack Ross, I suppose we can only hope he wins the cup or we go far in Europe. 

You measure Stendel’s “successs” by a win over hibs. That’s it. 

Ironically, if we had appointed Ross instead of Stendel we would have stayed up and Neilson would never have come back 😁

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Masonic said:

stewarts not hearts quality we need strong backup 

ginnely should go play every week for someone down england in league one

I think that will happen. 

GMS might go as well. Ross County, Perth saints or the likes. 

These guys are OK as back up but they'll want to play. They'll also fall further down the pecking order after the summer recruitment. 

I'd still keep walker if he's happy playing from the bench. 

But he'd need to be OK with that and have a contract that is in line with that role. Again he'll probably want regular football. 

Bazzas right boot

As a side note - If we beat ( could draw at home) Hibs in the next 2 we and Bob go 5 unbeaten v hibs and it will include 2 sf wins. 

The mighty oak starts from the acorn. 

Do that and the slaverers lose another prong in their attacks of Bob. 

Ofc they could beat us. 

Win/ win for some on here. 

manaliveits105

Deserves his own song 

to the tune of Kaiser Chiefs Ruby 

Robbie Robbie Robbie Robbie 

ooooooooooh 

Robbie Robbie Robbie Robbie 

ooooooooooooooooh :greggy:

10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

You measure Stendel’s “successs” by a win over hibs. That’s it. 

Ironically, if we had appointed Ross instead of Stendel we would have stayed up and Neilson would never have come back 😁

No I measure stendels success on get promoted to the English championship, ahead of the likes of Sunderland. 

League 1 is on a par with the majority of the Scottish Premiership. 

English championship has far better quality players than the Scottish Premiership. 

Maybe Celtic and Rangers could compete with that. 

But they pay far more in wages. 

Not hard he's also managed hannover 96.

And you're last sentence if we had appointed Derek McInnes we would of split the old firm this season. 

You need to think before you post nookie works both ways. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No I measure stendels success on get promoted to the English championship, ahead of the likes of Sunderland. 

League 1 is on a par with the majority of the Scottish Premiership. 

English championship has far better quality players than the Scottish Premiership. 

Maybe Celtic and Rangers could compete with that. 

But they pay far more in wages. 

Not hard he's also managed hannover 96.

And you're last sentence if we had appointed Derek McInnes we would of split the old firm this season. 

You need to think before you post nookie works both ways. 

League 1 better than the SPL? The league where the likes of Ross Stewart, Ryan Haddie and Josh Magennis regularly score?? The league where Cole Stockton is 3rd top scorer this season? 

And rather a narrow definition of success to finish above a basket case like Sunderland imo

Anyway it’s a moot point: Stendel clearly had something about him but he was completely lost at Hearts. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

League 1 better than the SPL? The league where the likes of Ross Stewart, Ryan Haddie and Josh Magennis regularly score?? The league where Cole Stockton is 3rd top scorer this season? 

And rather a narrow definition of success to finish above a basket case like Sunderland imo

Anyway it’s a moot point: Stendel clearly had something about him but he was completely lost at Hearts. 

How is it possible to even come to those terms though, when one he wasn't afforded time and his own team, 3 months. 

It took Neilson last season at the very end to play any decent football. 

It's taken him to switch from a 343,to 4231 or 442.

And fans we're crying out for that for months. 

There were people on here that said halkett had to play in a back three, I said pish to that he can play in a back four with the Rb and Lb pushing on, with one of the central midfielders dropping off just infront of two centre backs.

Stendel’s never had the time, did he make mistakes yes, but we were still a sinking ship long before he came in. 

The rot had set in. 

Under who? 

And I still believe if the remainder of that season had played out, we would of stayed up. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How is it possible to even come to those terms though, when one he wasn't afforded time and his own team, 3 months. 

It took Neilson last season at the very end to play any decent football. 

It's taken him to switch from a 343,to 4231 or 442.

And fans we're crying out for that for months. 

There were people on here that said halkett had to play in a back three, I said pish to that he can play in a back four with the Rb and Lb pushing on, with one of the central midfielders dropping off to still make it a back three.

Stendel’s never had the time, did he make mistakes yes, but we were still a sinking ship long before he came in. 

The rot had set in. 

Under who? 

And I still believe if the remainder of that season had played out, we would of stayed up. 

No one cares