• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No I measure stendels success on get promoted to the English championship, ahead of the likes of Sunderland. 

League 1 is on a par with the majority of the Scottish Premiership. 

English championship has far better quality players than the Scottish Premiership. 

Maybe Celtic and Rangers could compete with that. 

But they pay far more in wages. 

Not hard he's also managed hannover 96.

And you're last sentence if we had appointed Derek McInnes we would of split the old firm this season. 

You need to think before you post nookie works both ways. 

Absolute bollocks. It’s lazy to state that Scottish football is rubbish. How many players have we seen come up here and be surprised with the quality of the top league? Then the argument is the game is too quick up here :rofl: 

It’s the same idiots that state the leagues in America and Australia are better. The self loathing is nauseating. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How is it possible to even come to those terms though, when one he wasn't afforded time and his own team, 3 months. 

It took Neilson last season at the very end to play any decent football. 

It's taken him to switch from a 343,to 4231 or 442.

And fans we're crying out for that for months. 

There were people on here that said halkett had to play in a back three, I said pish to that he can play in a back four with the Rb and Lb pushing on, with one of the central midfielders dropping off just infront of two centre backs.

Stendel’s never had the time, did he make mistakes yes, but we were still a sinking ship long before he came in. 

The rot had set in. 

Under who? 

And I still believe if the remainder of that season had played out, we would of stayed up. 

Or maybe we gave Stendel too much time? Nancy were much more decisive

"On 20 May 2021, Stendel was appointed Manager of AS Nancy of France in Ligue 2 on an initial two-year contract. On 24 September 2021, Stendel was sacked from his role at the club following a 1–1 draw against a nine-man Amiens SC side, with the club at the bottom of the league table with no wins in the opening ten games."

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Absolute bollocks. It’s lazy to state that Scottish football is rubbish. How many players have we seen come up here and be surprised with the quality of the top league? Then the argument is the game is too quick up here :rofl: 

It’s the same idiots that state the leagues in America and Australia are better. The self loathing is nauseating. 

Surely no-one has said that with a straight face? We'd skoosh the MLS and A-League with our current squad, never mind the damage Celtic and Rangers would do in those leagues. I think they must be confusing competitiveness with quality (assuming those leagues are more competitive at the top).

9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No I measure stendels success on get promoted to the English championship, ahead of the likes of Sunderland. 

League 1 is on a par with the majority of the Scottish Premiership. 

English championship has far better quality players than the Scottish Premiership. 

Maybe Celtic and Rangers could compete with that. 

But they pay far more in wages. 

Not hard he's also managed hannover 96.

And you're last sentence if we had appointed Derek McInnes we would of split the old firm this season. 

You need to think before you post nookie works both ways. 

League One is not on a par with the Scottish Premiership for crying out loud

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How is it possible to even come to those terms though, when one he wasn't afforded time and his own team, 3 months. 

There were people on here that said halkett had to play in a back three, I said pish to that he can play in a back four with the Rb and Lb pushing on, with one of the central midfielders dropping off just infront of two centre backs.

Stendel’s never had the time, did he make mistakes yes, but we were still a sinking ship long before he came in. 

The rot had set in. 

Under who? 

And I still believe if the remainder of that season had played out, we would of stayed up. 

Apart from beating Dundee 6-2 in the very first game 😉

And sometimes you just need to win games first and worry about flair later. DS just didn’t manage it unfortunately. 

Stendel’s last game in charge of Hearts was over 2 years ago, move on. Regardless of whether you think he should have been allowed to stay (personally I think he was a bit hard done by) & have a crack at promotion, that’s football it happens, pretty obvious looking at the table that it’s worked out for us.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Haken said:

No one could've predicted how this thread would turn out.

:sleepy:

I'm stunned. 

I personally can't believe we're back to Stendel. 

Never seen that coming. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The rot had set in. 

Under who? 

Why do you ignore the fact that it has been 3-4-3 that led to improved form at the end of last season, and was the formation that took us 10 points clear in 3rd.

Then after key injuries combining with a poor run Robbie has changed formation with an immediate impact on results - these results equating to the same results we were getting against similar teams when playing 3-4-3.

so in the last year Robbie has seen problems with performance twice, changed formation twice to address it with an immediate impact twice with improved form and results on both occasions.

Seems like pretty damn good management to me.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Why do you ignore the fact that it has been 3-4-3 that led to improved form at the end of last season, and was the formation that took us 10 points clear in 3rd.

Then after key injuries combining with a poor run Robbie has changed formation with an immediate impact on results - these results equating to the same results we were getting against similar teams when playing 3-4-3.

so in the last year Robbie has seen problems with performance twice, changed formation twice to address it with an immediate impact twice with improved form and results on both occasions.

Exactly.  I've been very impressed by how Robbie has adapted style and formation when things have gone stale/not been working.  Something i was wary of was I thought he was a one-dimensional coach, but he's proved or is at least proving that wrong.

And do you know what makes changing formation and style as seamless?  The unity he has harnessed in our squad.  Been a long long time since I saw a Hearts squad as together as this one. Above tactics, above formations, philosophy etc, that's probably the most important thing in football.

He is developing and we can't ask for more than that.  Would you swap him for any other coach in Scotland (maybe outwith OF I suppose).  Not on yer nelly.

Quite proud of him, actually.  Even when i doubted him, I was desperate for him to do well - he's a Jambo and a good lad.

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

He overlooked my response t that, funnily enough.

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Exactly.  I've been very impressed by how Robbie has adapted style and formation when things have gone stale/not been working.  Something i was wary of was I thought he was a one-dimensional coach, but he's proved or is at least proving that wrong.

And do you know what makes changing formation and style as seamless?  The unity he has harnessed in our squad.  Been a long long time since I saw a Hearts squad as together as this one. Above tactics, above formations, philosophy etc, that's probably the most important thing in football.

He is developing and we can't ask for more than that.  Would you swap him for any other coach in Scotland (maybe outwith OF I suppose).  Not on yer nelly.

Quite proud of him, actually.  Even when i doubted him, I was desperate for him to do well - he's a Jambo and a good lad.

Changed days from Stendel meeting Glenn Whelan Loic Damour and Berra in an awkward dressing room gathering 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

He overlooked my response t that, funnily enough.

It is something to look out for the next time some one posts a YouTube video of a signing target from down that way the defending is almost always shocking and a big part of why the player looks better than he ends up being in the flesh

Berra than you
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agree with your points on this but will also add that another factor in why it's been seamless is that The formation is fluid. With the ball we essentially resort back to 3 at the  back

2 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Agree with your points on this but will also add that another factor in why it's been seamless is that The formation is fluid. With the ball we essentially resort back to 3 at the  back

Yup, I kinda try to avoid 343, 442, 4231 and all that as don't think it actually works like that these days.  Always amazes me when actual pundits and even managers still talk in those terms, even disagree about a formation sometimes. Truth is it kind of doesn't exist!!

Our guys know eachother so well and are so well drilled and good at communicating together that we are very fluid.  Even though we're 442ish in possession, with attacking FBs, our CBs still feel free to step out, such is the trust in their team mates that cover is provided.

That's good coaching.  You can't really say otherwise.

It can at times be temporary, but the way we've played last few games, after that sticky patch and despite our injuries.  Well, it deserves credit to say the least.

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, I kinda try to avoid 343, 442, 4231 and all that as don't think it actually works like that these days.  Always amazes me when actual pundits and even managers still talk in those terms, even disagree about a formation sometimes. Truth is it kind of doesn't exist!!

Our guys know eachother so well and are so well drilled and good at communicating together that we are very fluid.  Even though we're 442ish in possession, with attacking FBs, our CBs still feel free to step out, such is the trust in their team mates that cover is provided.

That's good coaching.  You can't really say otherwise.

It can at times be temporary, but the way we've played last few games, after that sticky patch and despite our injuries.  Well, it deserves credit to say the least.

Your first paragraph is spot on I get a bit annoyed about it when people start arguing over it as well

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Your first paragraph is spot on I get a bit annoyed about it when people start arguing over it as well

At any one moment in the game it could be 811, 244, 32221, does that add up???  And if you're 343, one you're "4" could be the furthest man forward or the furthest man back.

It kind of helps understand how we set up, especially if I'm not there to see it, so I do want to know what our "formation" is, all that being said and there will be a generalish enough pattern to be able to say it was a 442 or whatever, but folk that are sticklers to it, aren't paying attention imo!!

It's kinda what order are they standing in at kickoff, really.  Like subbuteo.

That all being said, Robbie has changed our formation to very good effect and good on him.  The 442/4231 kinda thing we're playing is working very well, just as the 343 thingy did earlier.  I kind of think our current setup suits or squad more, always have done, but the 343 was bringing such success it couldn't be argued with.  Just felt a bit turgud within that one.

35 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This last line is exactly how you'd expect any rational Hearts fan to react, madness that some folk still can't see it this way.

FWIW I feel exactly the same!

The Grim Reaper
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Which English league would be the most comparable to the SPL then?

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Just the likes of Sheffield wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan, Charlton, Mk dons. 

Remind me the score of the pre season game against Sunderland? 

Then remind me who Robbie left to go to with us in second place? 

What league were they in? 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just the likes of Sheffield wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan, Charlton, Mk dons. 

Remind me the score of the pre season game against Sunderland? 

Then remind me who Robbie left to go to with us in second place? 

What league were they in? 

Mate League One is a dreadful standard and all the pre season friendlies on the planet are not going to change that I have seen us beat and draw with far bigger teams than Sunderland and then go on to have a shit season

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Apart from beating Dundee 6-2 in the very first game 😉

And sometimes you just need to win games first and worry about flair later. DS just didn’t manage it unfortunately. 

Or you could do both 👍

We can't play High press and good football as team's sit in and don't allow it 🙄

Yet the two best teams in the league do it, the excuses that get made are chronic. 

Just now, Sooks said:

Mate League One is a dreadful standard and all the pre season friendlies on the planet are not going to change that I have seen us beat and draw with far bigger teams than Sunderland and then go on to have a shit season

What was the score? 

The played us of the park. 

And who did Robbie leave to go to? 

What league? 

8 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Which English league would be the most comparable to the SPL then?

Championship if you had to choose but the reality is there are mini divisions and groups within every league division where by some clubs would slot in at a lower level and some higher 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

What was the score? 

The played us of the park. 

And who did Robbie leave to go to? 

What league? 

It does not matter I saw us draw with Spurs in a friendly in 1990 that did not mean we would have done as well as them in the old English Division 1

Bongo having an absolute Weston Super.

But, at least he steps over the parapet and continues to entertain us with his "other worldy" type opinions.

The rest of the village has vanished into obscurity.

Well done Bongo.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Because the 343 was a myth, now we have changed formation beni and haring are scoring goals and supporting the strikers. 

343 killed us going forward and wasn't needed, it was extreme when most teams play one man up top that means you have two sitting back marking nobody, get the extra body in midfield or upfront. 

And as you see we are playing great football which is credit to Robbie, but people on here won't admit that we needed to change formation? 

We look better going forward we offer more. 

They said Halkett couldn't play in a back four? I was one who said he could. 

Just now, Sooks said:

Championship if you had to choose but the reality is there are mini divisions and groups within every league division where by some clubs would slot in at a lower level and some higher 

Sooks be honest we would get ragdolled in the championship. 

We aren't that level yet but we are building a team to be as good as hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It does not matter I saw us draw with Spurs in a friendly in 1990 that did not mean we would have done as well as them in the old English Division 1

never mind 1990, we drew with spurs in 2011 and liverpool in 2012 both at their grounds.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Because the 343 was a myth, now we have changed formation beni and haring are scoring goals and supporting the strikers. 

343 killed us going forward and wasn't needed, it was extreme when most teams play one man up top that means you have two sitting back marking nobody, get the extra body in midfield or upfront. 

And as you see we are playing great football which is credit to Robbie, but people on here won't admit that we needed to change formation? 

What do you mean a myth it was widely recognised as the formation at the start of the season where by our full backs offered the two central midfielders options from the wide positions and it had us third in the league and close to the old firm while pulling away from the rest

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sooks be honest we would get ragdolled in the championship. 

We aren't that level yet but we are building a team to be as good as hopefully. 

Bongo be honest we would be too good for most of the teams in league one

Go back and watch the likes of our home game against Motherwell back last Autumn where we totally pumped them with a 343.  Our CBs were stepping out, overlapping.  Our midfield was right on the edge of their box with them penned in.  It was similar to many games at the time.  Very rarely did we sit with three at the back in possession.

Either you know that and it doesn't suit, you never watch us, or you do but can't compute what you see... what is it Bongers?

Not looking for an argument mate, but your point here is moot.  I wasn't a huuuge lover of the formation but it yielded results and the minute it stopped doing so, it was changed.  Good management

You embroil yourself in arguments over semantics and dig deeper and deeper into positions I don't think you even hold!! You've already said Robbie has had a good season, so no need to be so fociferous about this 343 point!

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

never mind 1990, we drew with spurs in 2011 and liverpool in 2012 both at their grounds.

Fair point and those were competitive games but it just goes to show you that in a one off game one team can perform better against some opposition than they would in the same division as them over the course of a season

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Or you could do both 👍

We can't play High press and good football as team's sit in and don't allow it 🙄

Yet the two best teams in the league do it, the excuses that get made are chronic. 

I don't see the old firm playing champagne football every week, despite their massive financial advantage that allows them to put out a team of full internationals. Their games are quite often a bit turgid until the opposition lose concentration and that opens it up a bit.

It is harder for us to break down teams because we simply lack the quality to open them up  as much as we would want to. It does happen but it can be frustrating for long periods of the game.

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just you? :thumbsup:

Just now, Sooks said:

What do you mean a myth it was widely recognised as the formation at the start of the season where by our full backs offered the two central midfielders options from the wide positions and it had us third in the league and close to the old firm while pulling away from the rest

Because the 343 in transition is 3 at the back with the wing backs pushing on and offering support, but when out of possession it played out more like a 541 with the wing back tucking in, and having 5 at the back. 

Look at the stats Craig was still facing a fair amount of shots in the 343 formation, and Beni and Devlin were being overrun, now Boyce comes back if we play against a 3 man midfield in the centre. 

We look far better now. 

Carl Fredrickson

It gets a bit boring and repetitive the way threads go way off topic and become about posters rather than the subject. 

Robbie is doing a grand job and long may it continue.

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Mid to lower Championship but that is because the top half still have EPL players who have dropped down through relegation.

Just now, TheBigO said:

Go back and watch the likes of our home game against Motherwell back last Autumn where we totally pumped them with a 343.  Our CBs were stepping out, overlapping.  Our midfield was right on the edge of their box with them penned in.  It was similar to many games at the time.  Very rarely did we sit with three at the back in possession.

Either you know that and it doesn't suit, you never watch us, or you do but can't compute what you see... what is it Bongers?

Not looking for an argument mate, but your point here is moot.  I wasn't a huuuge lover of the formation but it yielded results and the minute it stopped doing so, it was changed.  Good management

You embroil yourself in arguments over semantics and dig deeper and deeper into positions I don't think you even hold!! You've already said Robbie has had a good season, so no need to be so fociferous about this 343 point!

Robbie has had a good season, but that doesn't mean he can't be criticised 👍

Because the 343 in transition is 3 at the back with the wing backs pushing on and offering support, but when out of possession it played out more like a 541 with the wing back tucking in, and having 5 at the back. 

Look at the stats Craig was still facing a fair amount of shots in the 343 formation, and Beni and Devlin were being overrun, now Boyce comes back if we play against a 3 man midfield in the centre. 

We look far better now. 

I actually do not disagree about the 541 bit because when we were defending it often became that there is a good debate about just this sort of thing on a nother thread actually but your refusal to give credit to the results that we managed with our early season formation belies your agenda 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Mid to lower Championship but that is because the top half still have EPL players who have dropped down through relegation.

I would agree with that and that is what I meant by divisions within divisions

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Robbie has had a good season, but that doesn't mean he can't be criticised 👍

Of course not. he will make mistakes and at some point his time will be up.

But bigging up League 1 to try and prove Stendel was anything other than decent at barnsley and poor up here is ridiculous.

And having that Bod guy as your avatar? What's that all about?!

Just now, Sooks said:

I actually do not disagree about the 541 bit because when we were defending it often became that there is a good debate about just this sort of thing on a nother thread actually but your refusal to give credit to the results that we managed with our early season formation belies your agenda 

I do give credit, but can't you see we look better as a team and far more fluid playing a different formation. 

We didn't need to play a 343. 

It was extreme if you look at the stats table It didn't make us more compact and better defensively. 

Gordon faced a hell of amount of shots why? Midfield getting overrun and back five retreating now we start of better when in possession of the ball and when we lose it why? 

Because we are higher up the pitch and have more body's in attack👍

So when losing possession teams are finding it harder to play through midfield, with Boyce just of simms and basically becoming a part of a 433 when out of possession. 

So what do they do they resort to playing the long ball in behind, Gordon is switched on and deals with this, sweeper keeper. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

But bigging up League 1 to try and prove Stendel was anything other than decent at barnsley and poor up here is ridiculous.

I'm not bigging Stendel up if you see I wasn't the first to mention him, he always gets brought up as a deflection tactic because people can't debate with me. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I believe that bodo guy could take us to were we should be as a club. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I believe that bodo guy could take us to were we should be as a club. 

"where we should be"?

Like  in around 3rd place consistently in the league and in the latter rounds of the cups? 

If only we had a manager that could do that. 

That would be gravy. 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

"where we should be"?

Like  in around 3rd place consistently in the league and in the latter rounds of the cups? 

If only we had a manager that could do that. 

That would be gravy. 

In my opinion challenging the old firm, in Europa league group stages, and constantly getting to semi and finals. 

Robbie has done the 3rd place part but we are quite a bit behind old firm in points 👍

Europa league he will be judged on next season 👍

He deserves credit for getting us there. 

The cup he deserves credit for getting us to a semi final 👍