*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Jamboscanbevicius
23 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

This day last year Barrie McKay signed and completed our incomings until Atkinson joined over Christmas.  Also added a view of end of last season vs current squad that a few had mentioned.

image.png.6a2236835aec5e0e81e7f7450479094a.png

I like this graphic and it does appear we have strengthened. I think we probably have, certainly in terms of the squad.

But when you consider that we could have fielded this as a starting 11 last Aug, it doesn't look like much strengthening of starters. But we could never have coped with all these games with the squad last year and we have been unlucky with injuries.

Gordon

Smith, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley, Cochrane

Beni, Devlin, Haring

McKay, Boyce 

Last year the biggest difference was: Gordon and McKay were immense, Halkett and Cochrane came on leaps and bounds, Devlin added energy, and Simms was a huge bonus second half of the season.

I think the key difference makers this season will be:

- Can Atkinson improve and kick on?

- Will Kio make a difference in the middle?

- Will Beni be the same player when he returns?
- Can Shankland score regularly across the season?

- And can Snodgrass add a little drive and creativity in the final third?

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Dick Dastardly
45 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

JKB is more fickle than you think then. He's an overrated imposter wage thief charlatan on here before he's even kicked a baw. Only when he has a great game will he lose that label. 

And then he's the new messiah until he has a bad game. Repeat ad nauseum. 

1 hour ago, Waterboy said:

This day last year Barrie McKay signed and completed our incomings until Atkinson joined over Christmas.  Also added a view of end of last season vs current squad that a few had mentioned.

Really good graphic which clearly shows that we’ve strengthened the squad.

Comparing to the end of last year we have upgraded on Moore, Woodburn and McEneff. The challenge was that Souttar and Simms were always going to be big shoes to fill. 

It’s too early to say whether Rowles and Shankland can be better than Souttar and Simms however in the short term I’d say it looks likely that they won’t. It’s nothing against Rowles and Shankland both of whom I think have been good signings but Souttar and Simms allowed us to push up the park.

I’m fairly happy with the squad however would probably like an aggressive ball winning centre back, to cover Halkett, and a quick/ physical striker who can hold up the ball and run in behind. The latter is very difficult to find so I won’t hold my breath.

Based on current recruitment I still think we’ve got enough to get us to third place this year.

Ainsley Harriott
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Unless Hearts are playing Celtic, why would you watch a Celtic game. Weird.

Thought you would love Celtic 

Definitely looks like we've strengthened the squad. In terms of first 11 I'd argue we're better in midfield with Forrest and Grant, better up front with Shankland, but slightly weaker at the back due to the loss of Souttar. Should still be good enough for 3rd.

It's the timing of the injuries this season compared to last that's making us look weaker.

57 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

I like this graphic and it does appear we have strengthened. I think we probably have, certainly in terms of the squad.

But when you consider that we could have fielded this as a starting 11 last Aug, it doesn't look like much strengthening of starters. But we could never have coped with all these games with the squad last year and we have been unlucky with injuries.

Gordon

Beni, Devlin, Haring

McKay, Boyce 

Last year the biggest difference was: Gordon and McKay were immense, Halkett and Cochrane came on leaps and bounds, Devlin added energy, and Simms was a huge bonus second half of the season.

Good post!

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Actually, the GK crisis is the only time someone can be registered after the deadline. But given we have 4 GK registered in the squad, it would take extremes to ever be in that position.

From UEFA:

Is that it?

Not necessarily. If a club cannot count on the services of at least two goalkeepers registered on List A because of long-term injury or illness (i.e. one that lasts 30 days), a club can temporarily replace him at any time during the season.”

Can we not register Snodgrass as an emergency goalie then play him up front? Obviously only in the event of a injury crisis among our GK, per the rules…

Best 11 (4231)?

Gordon

Smith   Halkett   Kingsley   Cochrane

Beni/Kio   Devlin

Forrest   Snodgrass   McKay

Shankland

...not too shabby!

Ricardo Quaresma
On 01/09/2022 at 16:20, Cruyff said:

Been meaning to look at these for days; he's got the full bag of tricks, it seems

A few of the opposition teams looked a bit ropey, but most didn't

Some really good stuff

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Looks like Rimmer's to me 

We've already tried playing a hologram in goal recently, let's not try any more in other positions. 

9 minutes ago, B4 Part B said:

Good post!

1 hour ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Gordon

Beni, Devlin, Haring

McKay, Boyce 

We have 10 league games between now and the World cup break in November.

Coupled with the Euro games, clearly we will be busy.

However, I am confident we will be in and around 3rd place at least by the time we kick off again in December and I am also sure we will have reinforcements in January; another striker or two.

I wouldn't rule out another Simms type impact signing either.

You ask very pertinent questions above and time will tell. We really should have more than enough to cope with most of the teams in the league but what concerns me is the self fulfilling prophecies that seem to be creeping out; 'mental fatigue' anyone?

We simply can't have this type of negativity around the place. We have highly paid professionals at the club whose entire raison d'etre is to play football. If these players cannot mentally and physically deal with two games per week, then we really are in trouble.

I trust this is not the case and the required reset has happened this week and we go into the next dozen or so games with utmost belief that we will get positive results.

Onwards and upwards...

17 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Been meaning to look at these for days; he's got the full bag of tricks, it seems

A few of the opposition teams looked a bit ropey, but most didn't

Some really good stuff

His performance on Saturday unfortunately did not match this video. Was very harsh on him being thrown in for his first game, short of match practice and away to Livi on the plastic pitch. 

23 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Best 11 (4231)?

Gordon

Smith   Halkett   Kingsley   Cochrane

Beni/Kio   Devlin

Forrest   Snodgrass   McKay

Shankland

...not too shabby!

More than good enough to retain third 

2 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Cheers for this, excellent summary.

And the right hand side shows why a few were worried about the squad size on deadline day. The squad has five extra players now, but for most of deadline day there was only an extra two. Quality improved, but with fixture congestion the quantity was needed also, and management have agreed as 3 have come in since then. Which goes to show that those saying the squad was fine because we signed loads of players and spent the cash, that evidently the club didn’t agree with their stance, but those of us saying we need more. Funny that.

37 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Can we not register Snodgrass as an emergency goalie then play him up front? Obviously only in the event of a injury crisis among our GK, per the rules…

Technically we could. Imagine we’d be torpedoed by UEFA if he played outfield though.

Definitely heading in the right direction. Shame about Simms. If we'd kept him we would have one hell of a team.

Good graphics these...

I think the biggest difficulty in comparing our team that ended last season to the team as of today is the unknown quality aspect

A lot of people are comparing our new signings to Simms and Souttar when in reality it is still far too early to say .................................. we are doing okay just now but i have not made my mind up about any of our new signings either way yet and that gives me hope that we may well be a good bit stronger than last season

Snodgrass

Kio

Grant

Humphrys

I have seen no where near enough of any of them to make my mind up despite a good few people having done so one way or the other to back up their opinion on how well we have recruited 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Definitely heading in the right direction. Shame about Simms. If we'd kept him we would have one hell of a team.

Guess we will just have to find a new Simms this year.   Hopefully as a freebie.

Ricardo Quaresma
44 minutes ago, karipidis said:

His performance on Saturday unfortunately did not match this video. Was very harsh on him being thrown in for his first game, short of match practice and away to Livi on the plastic pitch. 

Yes, what could anyone expect under those circumstances

That has to be close to the worst pitch on the planet; shouldn't be allowed in this league

1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yes, what could anyone expect under those circumstances

That has to be close to the worst pitch on the planet; shouldn't be allowed in this league

I also doubt Livingston would survive in this league without it. It must be worth quite a few points to them over a season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Really good graphic which clearly shows that we’ve strengthened the squad.

Comparing to the end of last year we have upgraded on Moore, Woodburn and McEneff. The challenge was that Souttar and Simms were always going to be big shoes to fill. 

It’s too early to say whether Rowles and Shankland can be better than Souttar and Simms however in the short term I’d say it looks likely that they won’t. It’s nothing against Rowles and Shankland both of whom I think have been good signings but Souttar and Simms allowed us to push up the park.

I’m fairly happy with the squad however would probably like an aggressive ball winning centre back, to cover Halkett, and a quick/ physical striker who can hold up the ball and run in behind. The latter is very difficult to find so I won’t hold my breath.

Based on current recruitment I still think we’ve got enough to get us to third place this year.

Hmm. It shows we’ve marginally increased the size of the squad.

It doesn’t show that we achieved our stated signing targets though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

However, I am confident we will be in and around 3rd place at least by the time we kick off again in December and I am also sure we will have reinforcements in January; another striker or two.

You ask very pertinent questions above and time will tell. We really should have more than enough to cope with most of the teams in the league but what concerns me is the self fulfilling prophecies that seem to be creeping out; 'mental fatigue' anyone?

We simply can't have this type of negativity around the place. We have highly paid professionals at the club whose entire raison d'etre is to play football. If these players cannot mentally and physically deal with two games per week, then we really are in trouble.

I trust this is not the case and the required reset has happened this week and we go into the next dozen or so games with utmost belief that we will get positive results.

Onwards and upwards...

Staying within 3 points of 3rd by November shutdown would be decent enough, with clear sailing from December on, I would expect us to be more consistent and finish 3rd

Tom Hardy’s Dug
25 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Still lapping up yer own shite I see. 

Bad dog.

They weren’t my signing targets they were Robbie’s. So I am lapping up his shite strictly speaking.

1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

Onwards and upwards...

Yeah I agree with all of that, I suspect the Korean forward will be one that comes in January.

I'm sure I saw Robbie talking pre-season about not just the physical resilience needed but the mental resilience needed to be playing the European and League games. I agree if you start talking about mental fatigue then you give it credence and it can spread. I'd have hoped they'd be tapping into the work they did pre-season, what did the learn about how to cope with the mental aspect, and put that into practice to prevent or cure this fatigue. I guess the next few games will tell us more......

33 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I guess it’s all about opinions. However for me Forrest is better than Woodburn, Grant is better than McEneff, Clark is better than Stewart and Neilson is better than Taylor-Moore.

As per my previous point we haven’t been able to replace Simms and Souttar but that was always going to be a massive ask. Shankland and Rowles have looked like they have promise but admittedly not as strong.

The squad is stronger but the first 11 isn’t at this moment in time. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I guess it’s all about opinions. However for me Forrest is better than Woodburn, Grant is better than McEneff, Clark is better than Stewart and Neilson is better than Taylor-Moore.

As per my previous point we haven’t been able to replace Simms and Souttar but that was always going to be a massive ask. Shankland and Rowles have looked like they have promise but admittedly not as strong.

The squad is stronger but the first 11 isn’t at this moment in time. 

Pretty much what I think.

I'd add that I think Forrest is better than Gino and GMS so I think we have improved our first 11. Shankland is a better number 9 than Boyce so that's an improvement (but perhaps on par or not as good as Simms).

We've improved the squad, marginally improved aspects of the first 11, but haven't got significantly poorer anywhere, so should be good enough to meet our targets this season.

Not quite the transformational change I believe Robbie and Savage were working on, but I think we can be reasonably satisfied with where we're at.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not being able to sign all our first choice targets doesn't mean it was a lot of shite. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Not being able to sign all our first choice targets doesn't mean it was a lot of shite. 

We didn’t seem to sign any of our targets for RCB?

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We didn’t seem to sign any of our targets for RCB?

And? 

What point are you trying to make? 

Do you think we didn't have any intention of signing one, but just said so? 

Jack Torrance

The squad is definitely stronger. We're trying to play what feels like a more "modern" European style compared to the usual SPFL level. You need really good players to do that well and I feel we're on the cusp of it but maybe lacking in a few areas. And with rotation you need that quality in depth which I think we're slightly short of.

I think we need to persevere and keep pushing for more quality and depth, which may take a few windows.

Perhaps it's too soon to go down a rotation route for different competitions and we should trust the players to have the conditioning to get through a few games together which would then hopefully build a solid core team. And make the odd change here and there.

I'm no expert though. Just how it looks to me.

Edited by Jack Torrance

Malinga the Swinga

To satisfy some on here, Neilson and Savage need to publish a list of who their intended targets are and rank them in order of preference. If they did that, prior to January window, it will save posters from worrying over whether we get signings we want.

Obviously they will need to put it in code to stop other clubs from seeing it, but I'm sure that won't be a problem. Alternatively, just send it as a pm to those ITK and they can let us know when signings made if they were no 1, no 2 targets or some other ranking.

Season after season we always seem to leave ourselves short in the striker department.

Its almost like that position is not as important as the rest of the team. We currently have as many GK’s as we do strikers….it’s ridiculous.

RN is trying to be too clever and hope that the rest of the team score enough goals to ensure we don’t need any more than 2 strikers. We’ve been caught out once again and the Boyce injury has led to a last minute loan deal.

A fair bit of money was spent on buying Shankland and as yet he’s not left me hugely impressed with his overall contribution. It was always my fear with him…..if he doesn’t score a goal in a game he doesn’t offer much else.

We cannot go into another season left scrambling around looking for last minute loan deal for a Centre Forward. It’s really poor planning.

There appears to be this idea of building a strong squad from the back…..but by the time we get to that No.10 position it’s time to go back and start again and we are left with guys like Euan Henderson  running about up front.

19 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

The squad is definitely stronger. We're trying to play what feels like a more "modern" European style compared to the usual SPFL level. You need really good players to do that well and I feel we're on the cusp of it but maybe lacking in a few areas. And with rotation you need that quality in depth which I think we're slightly short of.

I think we need to persevere and keep pushing for more quality and depth, which may take a few windows.

Perhaps it's too soon to go down a rotation route for different competitions and we should trust the players to have the conditioning to get through a few games together which would then hopefully build a solid core team. And make the odd change here and there.

My main observation is we are playing the ball quicker all over. Creating more chances through sharper passing. 

I say we were ponderous last season especially in attack and it's better. 

Just not been enough games especially getting last 2 badly wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

To satisfy some on here, Neilson and Savage need to publish a list of who their intended targets are and rank them in order of preference. If they did that, prior to January window, it will save posters from worrying over whether we get signings we want.

Obviously they will need to put it in code to stop other clubs from seeing it, but I'm sure that won't be a problem. Alternatively, just send it as a pm to those ITK and they can let us know when signings made if they were no 1, no 2 targets or some other ranking.

😃 Yep, and as owners of the club we also need to know how much transfer fee we're willing to pay for each of them  and what wages we're offering.     Without all that info, JKB will just continue getting bogged down in pretend ITK nonsense.

:jj:

Edit - JKB will just continue getting bogged dow in pretend ITK nonsense either way.    :facepalm:

Edited by Lone Striker

They weren’t my signing targets they were Robbie’s. So I am lapping up his shite strictly speaking.

Ew ………. each to their own though

HeartsandonlyHearts

You make the Rev. I M Jolly look like a circus clown.

20 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Based on what we've seen so far and old firm apart are we still ahead of all the rest on squad strengthening ?

Yes 

34 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Agree with this.

The issue is, after a couple of poor performances, the Robbie haters are out in force wanting to rip everything up and start again.

Patience is required and that doesn't appear to be a virtue of the usual suspects on here.

18 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Season after season we always seem to leave ourselves short in the striker department.

Its almost like that position is not as important as the rest of the team. We currently have as many GK’s as we do strikers….it’s ridiculous.

RN is trying to be too clever and hope that the rest of the team score enough goals to ensure we don’t need any more than 2 strikers. We’ve been caught out once again and the Boyce injury has led to a last minute loan deal.

A fair bit of money was spent on buying Shankland and as yet he’s not left me hugely impressed with his overall contribution. It was always my fear with him…..if he doesn’t score a goal in a game he doesn’t offer much else.

We cannot go into another season left scrambling around looking for last minute loan deal for a Centre Forward. It’s really poor planning.

There appears to be this idea of building a strong squad from the back…..but by the time we get to that No.10 position it’s time to go back and start again and we are left with guys like Euan Henderson  running about up front.

Maybe it’s an economic problem.

Every team wants a 20+ goals striker and this is probably the most expensive position to fill.  If you have one, you’re not going to let them go cheap 

10 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Maybe it’s an economic problem.

Every team wants a 20+ goals striker and this is probably the most expensive position to fill.  If you have one, you’re not going to let them go cheap 

I don't think it's a shortage of striker. I think it's the way Neilson wants to play, I mean he did learn from levein who once played a 4-6-0!

HeartsandonlyHearts
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

🤔

Poor planning? You seriously think what’s happened so far this season with signings, failed signings and injuries was just poor planning? Please JKB, never change. You have absolutely no idea how many agents have been contacted by Hearts. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, leeumboyce said:

I don't think it's a shortage of striker. I think it's the way Neilson wants to play, I mean he did learn from levein who once played a 4-6-0!

Really worth joining in Feb and waiting 7 months to post, was it? Blowing an account for that.

26 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I'd have liked us to try a different set up in midfield and sign someone in the middle of the park who knows what to do when they cross the half way line. That might actually mean we can create something more than one or two half chances for Shankland per game.

At the moment, all we have are spoilers in there (Haring, Cammy, Kio), even Beni, who is technically good, is not that useful when approaching last third. Our only method is to get it wide to McKay or Forrest (or worst case GMS & Gino 😒 ), it's so one dimensional, teams will nullify us a lot this season.

We need options for a different approach to games but we haven't signed the players to do that. Hopefully Snodgrass can produce something, as no one else except McKay seems able to.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So Robbie says no more, perhaps time to put this one to bed and........

.....open the January thread

:jjockio:

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Can’t believe it’s finally over. Robbie could be fibbing though. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Absolutely gutted. Thought we had a chance of getting it to 1000 pages.