• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

7 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Nothing appears to be happening.

This is true. But only if you ignore the fact we signed a player three days ago. Otherwise it is obviously nonsense. 

32 minutes ago, brux said:

Glad Robbie has put the Moult rumours to bed

I can imagine Robbie's face when he was asked if we are interested Moult,

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.72871bc93b743c94d9c774748287929c.jpg

His comments last night really do appear that nobody we are signing today or just after the window as a free agent are long term targets and more just punts hoping they work out.Hope I'm wrong but that's the way it sounded.

5 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Tell me O wise one, how could we have predicted the injuries, and to whom?

Not talking about the injuries 

Take them out the equation we still don't have 3 quality bodies in needed to compete twice a week 

That's now upto 5 with Boyce and Rowles Injuries 

The window shuts tonight 

You don't have to be wise to realise that's now a huge ask for Mr Savage 

Ainsley Harriott

It's almost like it's come as a huge shock to Robbie and Joe that when you only have 2 strikers and one gets injured it leaves you with only 1.

2 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Not talking about the injuries 

Take them out the equation we still don't have 3 quality bodies in needed to compete twice a week 

That's now upto 5 with Boyce and Rowles Injuries 

The window shuts tonight 

You don't have to be wise to realise that's now a huge ask for Mr Savage 

I reckon we will sign 3 loan players and we will still be short.These loans will be to cover our injuries as well not to add the real quality we have been fed for a while now from Robbie.

I get people are frustrated. Our 3 best defenders were missing last night, our best number 10, our best midfielder. Our left back playing centre back. And out 3rd game in 6 days. It’s shite, we all know it’s shite but having 8 players out injured ruins any chance of rotation.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

I get people are frustrated. Our 3 best defenders were missing last night, our best number 10, our best midfielder. Our left back playing centre back. And out 3rd game in 6 days. It’s shite, we all know it’s shite but having 8 players out injured ruins any chance of rotation.

Which is even more worrying as it points out we lack squad depth.Imagine we went into the European game with that back 3 for instance.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Agree ! Our bad luck with injuries is so frustrating , it was only last day in August and we couldn't even fill our bench 

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Wasted energy mate, no sensible thought process is acceptable on here. 

We can’t blame the fixture congestion for last night’s loss. We knew it was coming, we also knew with more games comes more fatigue and chance of injury. We knew we need a bigger squad to compensate for that so we can rotate. So if we close this window not getting the numbers in, that’s no one’s fault but our own.

We can’t lose to a team like Kilmarnock after a few games close together for the first time and a few players missing, and in the same breath say that 3rd is all but secure. As evidently, it’s not. (Although there’s no excuses to lose to them with the team we had)

You can blame lack of preparation, you can blame fitness coaching, you can hide behind injuries - or - you can blame recruitment (or indeed all of the above). We go into deadline day needing at least 4 players, previous pages have mage legitimate arguments for 6. Yesterday we had one rumour, Louis Moult, that has been put to bed by the manager.

So, we’re now officially on deadline day, needing a handful of players, with  a genuine chance of getting none in. Or even if we do, will still leave us short. I don’t envy the recruitment team, I know it’s much easier said than done and it’s not a computer game where you see a player you like and sign. But other teams in our league have went out and signed good players, if they can we should have been able to. I’ll reserve judgement until this time tomorrow (or indeed, until the end of the season), but it’s looking we’re falling way short of what we need.

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Wasted energy mate, no sensible thought process is acceptable on here. 

It’s actually wild. I’m disappointed we didn’t win, infact if I had the choice I’d lose every Europe game to win the league cup. But you remove 8 first team players from any side in Scotland, and I’ll actually include the old firm in this, it would take a toil on the team.

Ricardo Quaresma

Some people should just stay away from the keyboard and observe, until the window shuts

Then ascertain whether we're getting anyone in 24hrs after that

Then ascertain whether we're getting anyone in after that

It’s actually wild. I’m disappointed we didn’t win, infact if I had the choice I’d lose every Europe game to win the league cup. But you remove 8 first team players from any side in Scotland, and I’ll actually include the old firm in this, it would take a toil on the team.

Of course it would and especially the defence how it was with only one real centreback who was a rookie playing there ( they actually coped alright though ).There was a real lack of urgency I thought last night so maybe we were flat because of too many games.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Of course it would and especially the defence how it was with only one real centreback who was a rookie playing there ( they actually coped alright though ).There was a real lack of urgency I thought last night so maybe we were flat because of too many games.

We haven’t experienced a schedule like this before. Neither have the players or staff. Why it’s important to get 3rd or win the Scottish this year. Players will be better for this. The injuries are just so unlucky it’s unreal.  

Leveins Battalion

Whilst Savage and his recruitment team took the plaudits for unearthing some decent players last season,in equal measure this years planning is looking like they have been caught with their pants down.

Captain Canada

I know it's not always achievable to sign the players you'd like to for all sorts of reasons. 

Having said that, it shouldn't really be a surprise to have injuries and suspensions during a season. 

I think we've been caught out and the plan for the ideal squad size was always a bit short.

Of course, it's the right thing to want to focus on bringing in quality players, but that's only good if any actually sign. 

Getting to deadline day and being probably five players short of what we need is far from ideal. It will likely take any new players a while to integrate into the squad/team as well. 

Rudi cant fail

I’ve said before that maybe we are setting the bar too high for signings. Are we missing out on players because they are waiting to see if there are better offers out there? I get it though as we do have have several players in the squad who are simply not good enough but maybe done us a turn at some point. The danger is we sign more players like that on 2 or 3 year deals and then the same thing happens. So I get what Robbie is saying when he says he only wants players that strengthen us. I do sometimes however feel that we don’t recruit the priority positions properly, ie robbie doesn’t seem to want to carry a lot of strikers, we needed another one before Boyce who is more of 10 these days got injured and can’t be relying on shankland. Yet we sign another defensive midfielder when we already have 5 or 6. The new guy may be an upgrade, but you can only play 1 or 2 at any given time. Beni will be back in 2-3 months, unless he has had a set back. If we don’t strengthen the squad today then I don’t think we will finish third.

this really could be the season where we kick on and start the consolidating of third best, there’s a buzz about the place with record season ticket holders and trips to look forward to, but I fear this will be opportunity missed. 

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Whilst Savage and his recruitment team took the plaudits for unearthing some decent players last season,in equal measure this years planning is looking like they have been caught with their pants down.

While I think we could have had another CB and CF on the books, I’m not sure that is fair. The number of injuries we have had is above average. For all we know the plan was always to wait til the 11th hour to pick up a good loanee or drive down the price of one of our targets. I’m sure that we will be happy by close of play today.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Since Souttar left we don't have a first choice RCH full stop let alone one out injured. (Although Neilson has the potential to be even better)

We've known since February that Beni is out until 2023.

Even before Simms got injured we only had 2 strikers at the club and Shankland quite clearly can't play as a lone frontman. We have also failed miserably to replace the pace, size and strength of Simms.

Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries but that's what happens when you have a threadbare squad.  It could also be argued that Halkett, Kingsley and Atkinson have paid the price for playing when not quite 100%/carrying niggles due to lack of depth in the squad.

At present we have a squad capable of fighting hard for 3rd place, but not as good as last season and more disappointingly not in any way a game changing step forward despite our £5m European windfall.

Malinga the Swinga
7 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Seriously?

You are aware we get paid money to play group stage European football?

And have we received that money and know with 100% certainty it is a £5m windfall?

What were the scores on our group games?

11 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

The amount of shite spouted by the usual suspects on this thread is embarrassing. 

We simply can't afford to carry a quality squad to absorbed the injuries we have sustained in the last couple of weeks. We just aren't there yet .Attracting the quality we want is proving challenging,  again due to our budget atm.

Let's be honest Celtic or Rangers are hoovering up the 3 domestic trophies anyway, their squads, especially Celtic are on a different level atm.

We now concentrate on the league and try and stay in and around 3rd till the turn of the year , while enjoying the Euro games and trying to nick a win or 2 on the way .

Building a squad on our budget is going to take time unless you're going down the Levein route and signing any old shite.

I'm more than happy with the way we are progressing despite last night's set back.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, theshed said:

This is what really annoys me, he’s saying players are struggling playing all the time and can’t rotate cause of injury’s. 
Look at the amount of games they play down south and the travelling that comes with it. 

The English teams all play 2 games a week right up till Christmas and they seem to manage fine 

We are knackered on last day of august 🤷‍♀️

100% poor mentality from Robbie doesn't he realise these negative statements get through to the players and in their heads just gives them an excuse FFS if full time players that take big buck's out of the wage bill that are fit, young men can't handle the mid week, weekend games then they are no good if we want to be playing in Europe etc 

I just don't think Neilson can motivate the players 

Europa league might have been a pulling power for players but loads turn their nose up at the conference. Good for us as a club and the finances but with players money talks.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

And have we received that money and know with 100% certainty it is a £5m windfall?

What were the scores on our group games?

£3m minimum just from.making the groups + tv pool + 4 x sell out crowds + advertising.

If we win a couple of group games it will be considerably more than £5m.

I'm not suggesting we go out and buy million pound plus players but at present our recruitment doesn't suggest a step forward in any way. 

1 minute ago, Ecce Romanov said:

While I think we could have had another CB and CF on the books, I’m not sure that is fair. The number of injuries we have had is above average. For all we know the plan was always to wait til the 11th hour to pick up a good loanee or drive down the price of one of our targets. I’m sure that we will be happy by close of play today.

A sensible post in a sea of absolute mayhem…we’ve signed Shankland, Forrest, Rowles, Grant, Cochrane, Kio, Neilson and secured McKay, Kingsley, Gordon and Halkett all in the last few months. They couldn’t have predicted the injuries we would have had so early.

We signed our most recent player just 3 days ago…

We’ve signed 7 players…I can guarantee if we’d signed many more people would have been complaining about our scattergun approach and signing quantity over quality.

Yes, injuries have exposed us, but the level is unprecedented and the majority have happened within the last   3-6 days, making it difficult to react quickly to fill the gaps with the right quality of player. As others have said a club of our size can’t afford to have players of the caliber of Halkett, Boyce, Kinglesy, Beni, Boyce, Rowles and Atkinson sitting about providing cover…the majority of the above players are the best players in our squad.

I get that in the internet world an hour feels like a day and a week feels like an eternity, but things take a bit longer  to respond to or happen in real life.

fabienleclerq

Quality over quantity was what we were after but I think we lacked the latter aswell. 

We've gambled on having a smaller squad and it's coming back to haunt us. I don't even think we've had a bad window,  Shankland, Rowles,Grant, Cochrane, Forrest, we have signed good players just not enough to cope with the amount of games we have if we want to retain third.

We could also be trying to get players in markets that make Hearts a tough sell or that financially we aren't competing, I get we are trying to push to the next level but we haven't signed enough players .

Re. John Souttar we have signed Rowles and Neilson, we have signed replacements. We aren't losing players like Souttar and immediately signing a carbon copy on our budget. 

Another rumour being put to bed

Johnston set for Guimares switch 

Mikey Johnston is poised to join Portuguese side Vitoria Guimares on loan for the rest of the season. 

The Athletic report the 23-year-old is set to secure a switch on Deadline Day with opportunties limited with the Premiership champions. 

Johnston has struggled for game time in recent seasons amid a rotten run of luck when it comes to injuries. 

And Ange Postecoglou wants the wide man to earn the chance to find regular minutes elsewhere.

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

£3m minimum just from.making the groups + tv pool + 4 x sell out crowds + advertising.

If we win a couple of group games it will be considerably more than £5m.

I'm not suggesting we go out and buy million pound plus players but at present our recruitment doesn't suggest a step forward in any way. 

Have we received the money though? Assuming your maths is correct,  we still can't spend it till we have it.

2 minutes ago, bazman said:

I may be wrong but isn't the European money paid retrospective so we don't actually have it yet?

I doubt UEFA are going to shaft us, so we already know what our minimum budget is for the season.  

I assume screwing up the League Cup every year is also factored in.

We needed a bigger squad. Knew that from the start. But anyone can see that we are really light up front. Been unlucky with injuries to key players.

But think everyone could see we needed another striker. One that can hold ball up and hold the line.

Would rather cash had went there than another defensive midfielder. But let's see what the day brings. Mate say could still splash a bit cash.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

When your manager continues to say the same shite over and over again you begin to believe it.

It's blatantly obvious the players are feeding off the pish he's spouting.

Correct. That's more losses than wins this season, pressure is rightly on. Even 2 of our 3 wins were pretty lucky.

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Correct. That's more losses than wins this season, pressure is rightly on. Even 2 of our 3 wins were pretty lucky.

Don't tell me that you're seriously suggesting Robbie is under pressure already because that's feckin laughable tbh.

Deadline day last year we were rumoured to be in for Obafemi and Branthwaite and only ended up signing Devlin, which we knew about for a month. We don’t have anyone we know about or rumoured about today. I feel this can go one of two ways.

On the plus side, maybe we’ll sign some out of contract players next week, at least we’ll know they will only have one game a week.

We played last night with no striker, or at least that's what it looked like. 

Link up play atrocious, first touch woeful, easily muscled off the ball  and again, tame finishing.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Don't tell me that you're seriously suggesting Robbie is under pressure already because that's feckin laughable tbh.

The management ad recruitment team are under pressure no doubt. The FOH money, record season tickets, biggest European pot. We have been short changed. And you could also argue that 9 of the starters last night are 1st team players. To have excuses in August is pathetic! Small team mentality. Not good enough. 

Gordon Ramsay

Our transfer activity has been far too slow. Not good enough to be honest. Everyone could see we were lacking before the injuries, this should have been sorted before the first Zurich tie. 

Probably get a couple of pishy, panic loans in today. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

8 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

We've failed to score from open play in 4 of our last 5  matches!!

RustyRightPeg
17 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

He didn’t the paper rag the sun did

ah okay can’t see it but I’ll take your word for it

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Deadline day last year we were rumoured to be in for Obafemi and Branthwaite and only ended up signing Devlin, which we knew about for a month. We don’t have anyone we know about or rumoured about today. I feel this can go one of two ways.

On the plus side, maybe we’ll sign some out of contract players next week, at least we’ll know they will only have one game a week.

It's really simple; we take what we can get for Europe before that deadline expires and supplement the domestic squad with free agents, then use them more in league games

The critical factor then becomes quality for Europe; we need Rowles and Boyce replaced adequately, just to restore the status quo, then add more as we intended

That sounds like 4 or 5 quality players, or we're struggling in Europe

If we can't do that, we can't do it, we'll just have to see if our best is good enough

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***