*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

We really really need better attacking options, Striker, Winger. I think tonight underlines that. 

Defo need a presence upfront. Boyce will pin CB's, move them out of position, creates space, allows others to play off him. Shankland is a poacher but his all round game is sadly lacking. Beaten to everything tonight. Whereas Simms was pretty strong all round. We haven't replaced that. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

10 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Feeling gloomy now. Either tomorrow is some day, or we have to admit that our ‘quality over quantity’ strategy has not worked out for us. This season promised a great deal and is now at risk of turning into a major disappointment before it even gets started.

Quality over quantity doesn’t ring true when you have Ewan Henderson coming on to save the game. We might talk the talk but that was a lightweight bench and big fay required tomorrow 

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

A makeshift defence with only one real centreback who is a kid.As soon as I seen that I thought Killie might sneak it.

Neilson was touted here as the next Levein and “will be better than Souttar” after Sunday. (Way too prematurely in my opinion, not fair on the guy) Based on what some said on here we’d be fine regardless. That being said, Kilmarnock are utter horse shite. Getting beat off them, in any competition, is ludicrous.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Well. I for one won't be giving a shit who we sign tomorrow, as I'll be preparing to go on holiday.

We're very unlikely to recruit what we need, and probably going to have to suck it up until January.

Feel quite disappointed we've gotten to this stage. The bench tonight, I'd be worried if I was a St. Mirren fan, never mind a Hearts one, tbqh.

Savage needs to pull a menagerie out of his hat, never mind a ****ing rabbit.

Yep. 

The season really rests on the next 24 hours. 

Just now, johnking123 said:

Recruitment up top has not been good enough.  Been unlucky with injuries ok. But you have expect them. Never thought forest or Grant would make real difference. We have stagnated up front.

Forrest was poor tonight. McKay pulled across to the right to try and get Forrest into the game. Presumably Grant still on the naughty step. 

A really ordinary centre half owned Shankland out there tonight.

Clark Griswold

Robbie and Joe better be pulling an all nighter tonight, get the finger out pronto. Should never have come to this...

Savage and his recruitment team better pull there finger out of their collective rear ends and get business done tomorrow.

Don't ***** about get deals done or were going to struggle till January.

Over to you Joe.

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Neilson was touted here as the next Levein and “will be better than Souttar” after Sunday. (Way too prematurely in my opinion, not fair on the guy) Based on what some said on here we’d be fine regardless. That being said, Kilmarnock are utter horse shite. Getting beat off them, in any competition, is ludicrous.

Typical McInnes team effective in what they do but it's limited.In saying that we could learn a bit from it especially when we are needed a goal.Get some proper crosses into the box 

Just now, Carter said:

If that's the case we're bang in trouble as two games a week is stretching us and we're not out of August yet. 

That was absolutely shite tonight.

I don't know what to think about tomorrow to be honest.

RustyRightPeg

Should lock the forum until Friday morning. Let’s all reconvene then and have a nice discussion about all the new faces we’ve brought in. 

Adios chaps. 

I think it is obvious we have missed out on our main targets in the creative areas of the pitch.No way you get this late into the window ( remember Robbie has been saying for about 8 weeks he wanted another number 10 ) and not bring one in.I think it also became clear weeks ago we then needed another striker and it has not happened either.

8 minutes ago, Carter said:

Forrest was poor tonight. McKay pulled across to the right to try and get Forrest into the game. Presumably Grant still on the naughty step. 

A really ordinary centre half owned Shankland out there tonight.

Grants injured thigh strain. 

11 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Recruitment up top has not been good enough.  Been unlucky with injuries ok. But you have expect them. Never thought forest or Grant would make real difference. We have stagnated up front.

Spot on mate, totally agree.

Had we played for 180 minutes tonight, we wouldn't have scored a goal. That in itself speaks volumes about our current situation imo.

It's hard to feel optimistic after that, but I'll try to offer some perspective:

- We were missing EIGHT players tonight. Nobody is putting out a strong bench with that many out. 5 of those players hopefully back in the next week or two. If we get the few in tomorrow that we need then the squad is as big as it reasonably can be.

- We're 3rd in the league and have taken 10/12 points from the winnable games so far.

- We've signed 3 players in a day a couple of times before. Cowie, Souttar and Dauda were the same day. Isma, Tziolis and Avlonitis as well I think.

But yes, tomorrow is absolutely crucial if we want third again. We're far too one-dimensional up front and we need a physical alternative to Shankland as well as someone to take the goalscoring burden off him. He's not going to score in every game. 

If we signed someone like Ronan who can ping them in from everywhere and someone like Simms who can hold it up and run in behind it'd make a huge difference. If it's Moult and some shite loan I'll be worried.

I think it will be Moult ( meh but might do in the short term ) on loan.

And another two on loan one a defender and one a winger.We will still be short in the creative front.

Just now, innerjambo said:

Had we played for 180 minutes tonight, we wouldn't have scored a goal. That in itself speaks volumes about our current situation imo.

Exactly. Remove McKay for any reason and we have a real problem with any form of creativity.

We still need 2 strikers.

Shankland is looking like the type of player that if he doesn’t score he doesn’t contribute anything.

We’ve had 60% possession an only 2 shots on target….it’s not enough.

BackOfTheNet

Still no rumours? (Apart from Moult, I mean) There’s only about 26 hours left, and not even a rumour? (For actual good players?)

I still think we’ll sign someone before the window shuts, but if it’s just Moult then we’ll be ludicrously short until January at least. For weeks now people have listed positions we need more bodies in, it’s been evident to all and sundry, but for whatever reason it’s not been addressed.

I’m sure they’re trying, but if we’re signing Moult then it looks like the quality over quantity approach (with i agree with) has backfired.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think it is obvious we have missed out on our main targets in the creative areas of the pitch.No way you get this late into the window ( remember Robbie has been saying for about 8 weeks he wanted another number 10 ) and not bring one in.I think it also became clear weeks ago we then needed another striker and it has not happened either.

100% agree with this. Think we have spent a lot of timing waiting on several things that haven’t transpired and I think we are really struggling to compete for that ‘next level’ quality. 

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Still no rumours? (Apart from Moult, I mean) There’s only about 26 hours left, and not even a rumour? (For actual good players?)

I still think we’ll sign someone before the window shuts, but if it’s just Moult then we’ll be ludicrously short until January at least. For weeks now people have listed positions we need more bodies in, it’s been evident to all and sundry, but for whatever reason it’s not been addressed.

I’m sure they’re trying, but if we’re signing Moult then it looks like the quality over quantity approach (with i agree with) has backfired.

Maybe it has been addressed, but we've failed in getting our targets?

Which would be a failure on the recruitment side obviously. 

Edited by innerjambo

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

We still need 2 strikers.

Shankland is looking like the type of player that if he doesn’t score he doesn’t contribute anything.

We’ve had 60% possession an only 2 shots on target….it’s not enough.

He was very poor tonight.He needs someone up there with him imo.If we play a back 3 3412 with McKay in behind two strikers

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

It's hard to feel optimistic after that, but I'll try to offer some perspective:

- We were missing EIGHT players tonight. Nobody is putting out a strong bench with that many out. 5 of those players hopefully back in the next week or two. If we get the few in tomorrow that we need then the squad is as big as it reasonably can be.

- We're 3rd in the league and have taken 10/12 points from the winnable games so far.

- We've signed 3 players in a day a couple of times before. Cowie, Souttar and Dauda were the same day. Isma, Tziolis and Avlonitis as well I think.

But yes, tomorrow is absolutely crucial if we want third again. We're far too one-dimensional up front and we need a physical alternative to Shankland as well as someone to take the goalscoring burden off him. He's not going to score in every game. 

If we signed someone like Ronan who can ping them in from everywhere and someone like Simms who can hold it up and run in behind it'd make a huge difference. If it's Moult and some shite loan I'll be worried.

This is the thing though, we’re not a special case. Every team at every level suffers through multiple players being out at once, be it suspension or injury. That’s why we need more strength in depth and have done the entire summer. Before the injuries mounted up on Saturday most on here could name 4 positions they wanted signings for. It was reasoned we didn’t have the strength in depth before the season started - or before Zurich - because we were waiting for the market having its domino effect and us landing some quality signings… and we’re about to sign Louis Moult.

David McCaig

24 hours for Joe Savage to turn around what has been a really disappointing transfer window.

Despite the £5m European windfall our current team is light years behind where we were in February of this year,with a fit Beni, Simms and Souttar.

For me tonight is more on Savage than Neilson... A season with an unprecedented volume of games and we're running with a squad of just 2 strikers.

Up front we currently have no size to go long and no pace to get in behind.

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Rumours would have surfaced now especially if it was young EPL players on loan imo.

I still think players will come in on loan but I think it will be more in hope now they can come in and do a job until January than players they have really wanted.

Hoping for 4 in tomorrow. Most definitely need two forwards and a centre half and preferably someone with an ounce of creativity.

****ing gagging on new signings tonight. Strikers x2 needed. Another winger needed. A Boyce replacement needed. A centre back needed and a right back needed. Not even an over exaggeration. 

Need 3 natural strikers in a squad competing in Europe. We have 1. 

Winger required. Gino & GMS are pish and I’d see both of them transferred, loaned or released. 

Boyce replacement. An obvious transfer.

Centre back needed. Sibbick isn’t a centre back. Smith is shit. Halkett and Kingsley injured and a wee bit prone to an injury. Rowles out for 8 weeks minimum. 

Right back needed. Smith looks done and Atkinson is pish. 

We’ve signed well this summer, just not signed enough. Should have had another striker in 6 weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

100% agree with this. Think we have spent a lot of timing waiting on several things that haven’t transpired and I think we are really struggling to compete for that ‘next level’ quality. 

This is where I'm at unfortunately. Which makes you wonder, should we have spread the net further, and had more irons in the fire.

I can here Robbie now  - Moult is a really quality striker we have been looking at for a while and he knows the league very well.

Aye right Robbie 🤣

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shanklands a poacher, Boyce moves people about, nobody moving people about tonight no room for anyone let alone Shankland. 

The performance itself pedestrian and the subs simply fodder to demonstrate the point we have very little strength in depth. 

I find it utterly bewildering that we move into September after the most lucrative 12 months I can remember probably 4 players short, knowing full well how injury prone some of these players are.

I don't blame Neilson for that, said it before he sounds fed up.

If tomorrow doesn't go well, we need a lot of luck to see us through to January. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

24 hours for Joe Savage to turn around what has been a really disappointing transfer window.

Despite the £5m European windfall our current team is light years behind where we were in February of this year,with a fit Beni, Simms and Souttar.

For me tonight is more on Savage than Neilson... A season with an unprecedented volume of games and we're running with a squad of just 2 strikers.

Up front we currently have no size to go long and no pace to get in behind.

Rowles, Shankland and Forrest are decent signings. 

Not much we can do when Souttar ****ed us over, Beni is injured and for one reason or another, Simms isn't our player.

Add that to injuries and we were up against it.

This expectation that we should just get quality signings with no problem is cloud cuckoo land.

We need quality in' - Neilson

FT: Heart of Midlothian 1-0 Kilmarnock

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson tells BBC Sportsound: "We had a lot of possession, but we were a bit passive. We didn't have that spark we normally have. 

"The culmination of so many games showed today. We didn't get the chance to rotate the squad because of so many injuries. We need quality in. If we need to wait beyond the window, we need to wait. 

"We're missing seven or eight first-team players at the moment. It's a tough schedule [coming up], but we need to make sure we don't have these performances again."

I just said in the other thread

we need 4,5 and maybe even 6 tomorrow to have a big enough squad but we will be lucky to get one in.😡

We need in my view a striker, a no10, a winger, a  right sided centre back. and a better back up keeper.  I say maybe 6 as in my view we could do with 2 strikers coming in.

Left it far to late especially up top this window.

Edited by Djm1874
spelling

Churchill Barrier
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I can here Robbie now  - Moult is a really quality striker we have been looking at for a while and he knows the league very well.

Aye right Robbie 🤣

Said exactly that earlier! Other than i added he would say his signing was a bit of a coup

We're desperate for a statement signing, it's clear that we're penny pinching, time to reinvest the cash into a squad that's going to dominate outwith the old firm and capitalise on the European situation for the upcoming years.  Even before the injuries our squad is threadbare.

We're on course for humpings in Europe followed by lacklustre effortless defeats on the Sundays.

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

We need quality in' - Neilson

FT: Heart of Midlothian 1-0 Kilmarnock

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson tells BBC Sportsound: "We had a lot of possession, but we were a bit passive. We didn't have that spark we normally have. 

"The culmination of so many games showed today. We didn't get the chance to rotate the squad because of so many injuries. We need quality in. If we need to wait beyond the window, we need to wait. 

"We're missing seven or eight first-team players at the moment. It's a tough schedule [coming up], but we need to make sure we don't have these performances again."

Sounds like it’s people on free transfers and we are waiting on them deciding 

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Sounds like it’s people on free transfers and we are waiting on them deciding 

Or it's people saying "No thanks I can go to Englands league one and earn double that."

Which is the sad but true state of the football world we now live in.

Frank Sidebottom
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not much we can do when Souttar ****ed us over, Beni is injured and for one reason or another, Simms isn't our player.

This expectation that we should just get quality signings with no problem is cloud cuckoo land.

What has Souttar got to do with this? We knew he was leaving in January and we’re still waiting to replace him.  

9 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye right Robbie 🤣

If Moult is the level of player we are looking at we might as well call it a day 😂

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We could have got money to replace souttar in January 

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This is the thing though, we’re not a special case. Every team at every level suffers through multiple players being out at once, be it suspension or injury. That’s why we need more strength in depth and have done the entire summer. Before the injuries mounted up on Saturday most on here could name 4 positions they wanted signings for. It was reasoned we didn’t have the strength in depth before the season started - or before Zurich - because we were waiting for the market having its domino effect and us landing some quality signings… and we’re about to sign Louis Moult.

I don't have the stats, but I'd say having this many players out at this stage in the season is unusual.

I would say we needed 2/3 pre-Boyce's injury and probably 3/4 now. If it's 3 they need to be quality (not Moult).

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and it's very possible we'll do plenty of business we don't know about yet but I don't like the sound of the "if we need to wait until after the window" quote.

David McCaig
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

No one is saying it's easy which is why Joe Savage and his recruitment team are supposed to add value.

Cochrane, Shankland and Forrest are OK but don't represent Hearts going up a level.

Grant is bang ordinary.

Neilson has the potential to be special, but this season is probably primarily about development.

Rowles is a really good defender but not really a replacement for a ball playing RCH in Souttar... Which means both Halkett and Kingsley having to move  out of their optimum positions to accommodate him.

Up front, even we have size to go long and no pace to hit on the counter... 24 hours left in the window and the squad is currently in a mess.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***