• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Sorry to ruin the songwriting efforts, but my understanding is his family name is Lee and his given name is Seung-woo.

Calling him "Woo" is like calling Son Heung-min "Min" or Park Ji-sung "Sung".

Or like calling Nathanial Atkinson Natty? 

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

In Korea, nowhere else it seems 

Mind that Rudi guy we had? Some signings work, some don't. It's clear to anyone with eyes that this lad has bags of talent.

MarkDevriesScores4

Always impossible to judge a player we know absolutely nothing about (other than a favourable showreel).

I was excited to get Ben Woodburn given the hype at Liverpool and his showreel. Turned out he couldn’t cut it. 

always a gamble with these signings but I agree with others that a significant amount of homework will have been done by JS and we wouldn’t go for him if we had doubts.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

In Korea, nowhere else it seems 

You need to take a look at the video I posted earlier, pace, skill, creator, nothing you really see at Easter Road right enough

36 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Surely signals the end for either GMS or Gino, GMS has more defensive quality but the left hand side is well stacked. I reckon he will go this window

I think GMS and Gino are both surplus to requirements/backup players by this point, definitely Gino

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Always impossible to judge a player we know absolutely nothing about (other than a favourable showreel).

I was excited to get Ben Woodburn given the hype at Liverpool and his showreel. Turned out he couldn’t cut it. 

always a gamble with these signings but I agree with others that a significant amount of homework will have been done by JS and we wouldn’t go for him if we had doubts.

Our signings of this ilk, always going to carry risk, otherwise they would not be signing for Hearts, its really that simple, which I think we are agreeing on

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Class:

Hearts is the oldest and most successful football club in Edinburgh. 

A man who deals in cold hard fact.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Class:

Hearts is the oldest and most successful football club in Edinburgh. 

Woo Lee Bulley eh, could be a Seung 😉

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Our signings of this ilk, always going to carry risk, otherwise they would not be signing for Hearts, its really that simple, which I think we are agreeing on

Ach be honest mate, even right at the top level do signings not carry risk.  Liverpool have brought that Darwin lad in.  Will he smash it?  Probably, but is it 100% that he will?  Same re Haaland in truth.  Lukaku at Chelsea, I thought would score 30 last season.  Nope....

No signing is guaranteed at any level.  I get that that's probably more the case at our level, of course, but as much as there is plenty theory in recruitment, it isn't an exact science.  You're dealing in humans at the end of the day.

MarkDevriesScores4
5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Absolutely 

grumpyespana
53 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

So was I, me and my buddy sitting next to Fash on the wee bus out to the plane coming home, god rest his tortured soul

Had my photo taken with Fash & Robbo at Madrid airport on the way home.

23 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Sorry , not impressed by the Koreans stats

whats he actually done ?

If you like, we can start a list on another thread of players who had unimpressive stats before they joined us and turned out to be great. Of course there would also be a list of players with shite stats who turned out to be shite, and another list of players with good stats who turned out to be shite and so on and so forth 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Ach be honest mate, even right at the top level do signings not carry risk.  Liverpool have brought that Darwin lad in.  Will he smash it?  Probably, but is it 100% that he will?  Same re Haaland in truth.  Lukaku at Chelsea, I thought would score 30 last season.  Nope....

No signing is guaranteed at any level.  I get that that's probably more the case at our level, of course, but as much as there is plenty theory in recruitment, it isn't an exact science.  You're dealing in humans at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Absolutely 

We are, but its something we have to try time being. I think international footballers may well be able to adapt, slightly older now, he may be ready to crack on, seemingly having rediscovered confidence, all we can hope for. The Japanese have done very well at Celtic, Meshino did ok for us until asked to play that high press game that was no use for him, our current style of play very much suits this type of player

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You need to take a look at the video I posted earlier, pace, skill, creator, nothing you really see at Easter Road right enough

Quite!!

Who would we rather have; Lee Seung woo or Mr Bojangles?

H1b5 have went full-on scatter-gun with their signings, whilst we target class.

BackOfTheNet
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The thing is, if he had impressive stats at all the clubs he’d been at, we’d not be able to get anywhere near him. That’s the thing about where we’re at as a club. The only players we get with impressive stats are clubs lower than us in Scotland or lower league England. Not sure what people are expecting in terms of stats.

Dick Dastardly
14 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

If Woo is his nickname, I guess.

Just a shortened version of his given name, really

35 minutes ago, MyWay said:

Really wish he would give 4-2-3-1 a go with the options we potentially have going forward. Would also reduce the need to sign a new centre half.

Gordon

(Stewart)

Atkinson     Halket      Rowles        Kingsley

(Smith)      (Sibbick)  (kingsley)    (Cochrane)

(Neilson)

Beni       Haring

(Devlin)   (new signing)

(Smith)    (C.Smith)

(Sibbick)  

Forrest                   McKay              Grant

(Ginelly)                 (Boyce)              (Woo) 

(McKay)                 (Grant)               (GMS) 

(Pollock?)

Shanks

(Boyce)

(Woo)

I just think its a far more fluid formation and suits the players we have. Can quite easily become 4-3-3 or close to a 4-4-2 with Boyce playing as a second striker. 3-4-3 served us well but I've never loved it tbh.

I like your thinking. 👍

Auld Reekin'
26 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

You might be onto something there.

Does anyone remember 'The Anatolian' on Dalry Road at Haymarket?

They had monkey brain on the menu, I kid you not. Yummy!

Scroll forward a few years and who did we sign?

Takis Fyssas

Alexandros Tziolis

Anastasios ('Tasos') Avlonitis - (that's an inflammation of the avlon 🤭)

Christos Karipidis

So ... we can now surely expect a Korean tsunami. That restaurant is an omen. 😉

Yes I do.

I think you kid us a little. I never ate there, but I remember the menu looking like it was traditional Turkish food and monkey brains is not a traditional Turkish dish, yummy or not. One reason for this is the lack of monkeys in Turkey (and this not because the Turks have eaten all their brains).

Sheep brains? Yup, but I don't think they had that on the menu either.

Auld Reekin'
20 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Woo Lee Bulley eh, could be a Seung 😉

:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Quite!!

Who would we rather have; Lee Seung woo or Mr Bojangles?

H1b5 have went full-on scatter-gun with their signings, whilst we target class.

Mr Bojangles is already the better song tbf 😀

Been working all morning and expected to see scarf above head by now. 

:seething:

What are Woo doing to me?! 

:seething:

Jack Torrance

OK, so apart from scoring goals, providing assists and representing his country, what has the Korean boy actually done.

1562094299010.jpeg

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Mr Bojangles is already the better song tbf 😀

Not sure about that. I'm old enough to remember this 'un. The audience shots are a bit of a hoot, though.

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Just a shortened version of his given name, really

Fair enough. Hope you enjoyed Rie and Lan's goals on Saturday as much as I did. :lol:

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Fair enough. Hope you enjoyed Rie and Lan's goals on Saturday as much as I did. :lol:

Al's goal was great but Bazza's was my fave out of the two

P. S. Even after watching the game i struggled to work out who you were talking about for a second 😂😂

Edited by Dick Dastardly

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Which Translates to

image.png.a08f90c4d6120fc8f73e5e35cf3b6b3a.png

Not sure what to make of that. Could be standard talk from a club looking to make the most money. Seems odd all reports are that we have offered a 3 year contract and his club are saying that they themselves have not had any offer. The bit about raising level before coming back to Europe suggests player wants to stay, but surely he has raised his level already with his many goals and performances in Korea.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Al's goal was great but Bazza's was my fave out of the two

P. S. Even after watching the game i struggled to work out who you were talking about for a second 😂😂

Both goals were superb. These highlights, as usual, miss heaps of interesting moments. But, check out Forrest sprinting towards the 6 yard box pointing for Cochrane. As for Barrie? He took out 36% of their team with a few deft touches.

So, really just the goals on this clip but it augurs well for us.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

See the photo in the Spanish article the player is giving the Gorgie (Jungle) sign...

As good as a scarf above the head photo! 

22 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Which Translates to

image.png.a08f90c4d6120fc8f73e5e35cf3b6b3a.png

Song for the new guy?

Got to be Busta Rymes 

Woo Ha, Seung just bust the net

Clark Griswold
1 minute ago, Bozi said:

Song for the new guy?

Got to be Busta Rymes 

Woo Ha, Seung just bust the net

Check the last few pages mate

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Sorry , not impressed by the Koreans stats

whats he actually done ?

Who would you prefer?

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Not sure what to make of that. Could be standard talk from a club looking to make the most money. Seems odd all reports are that we have offered a 3 year contract and his club are saying that they themselves have not had any offer. The bit about raising level before coming back to Europe suggests player wants to stay, but surely he has raised his level already with his many goals and performances in Korea.

All got a bit of the Ogashiwa deal about it

:sadrobbo:

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Jacob davenport is up the day? 

Oh yeah, that was meant to be a thing. If it wasn’t for this Lee Seung-woo news we’d be hitting refresh on Davenport’s scarf above the head wouldn’t we?

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Jacob davenport is up the day? 

Apparently. 

Unless he was up towards the tail end of last week. Would put two and two together to presume he could’ve been in the tinted Mercedes taxi/van I seen going into the wheatfield car park 

Nothing against Lee Seung-woo, looks a prospect from his footage and not over- nor underwhelmed by his stats. Though I'd question if signing him we're not leaving ourselves a bit short and slight with our options up front. Shankland and Boyce have a bit more about them, but still dwarfed by most centre backs and neither have a great turn of pace.

Forrest - 175cm

McKay - 175cm

Gary Mackay-Steven - 175cm

Henderson - 175cm

Shankland - 185cm

Boyce - 184cm

Lee Seung-woo - 174cm

It felt like for spells of each match against Ross County and Stoke City they were able to bully us a bit, players getting pushed off the ball or blocked too easily. Add in Devlin at 170cm, and I wonder whether we're limiting options at corners, free kicks and generally in the physical side of things.

10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Apparently. 

Unless he was up towards the tail end of last week. Would put two and two together to presume he could’ve been in the tinted Mercedes taxi/van I seen going into the wheatfield car park 

This Woo Lad has taken the focus of him for sure 

Couple of early Hearts tweets but largely quite today 

Tynecastlesmychurch
8 minutes ago, Superscot said:

Nothing against Lee Seung-woo, looks a prospect from his footage and not over- nor underwhelmed by his stats. Though I'd question if signing him we're not leaving ourselves a bit short and slight with our options up front. Shankland and Boyce have a bit more about them, but still dwarfed by most centre backs and neither have a great turn of pace.

Forrest - 175cm

McKay - 175cm

Gary Mackay-Steven - 175cm

Henderson - 175cm

Shankland - 185cm

Boyce - 184cm

Lee Seung-woo - 174cm

It felt like for spells of each match against Ross County and Stoke City they were able to bully us a bit, players getting pushed off the ball or blocked too easily. Add in Devlin at 170cm, and I wonder whether we're limiting options at corners, free kicks and generally in the physical side of things.

Quality players with better technical ability will more often than not come out on top against bigger guys. (Bigger guys that teams in our league can afford anyway!)

Although that being said I do take your point. And we need to make sure we have a good balance of height and strength in the team too. 

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Not sure we’d sign Woo before the derby. If we did then the fans would expect him to play, and a physical derby away from home might not be the best introduction for him. Porteous would be looking to end his career before it began.

He won’t have a work permit by the weekend I suspect. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***