*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Jamboscanbevicius

So… from what I can gather we are signing

Zander Clarke

Leon Balogun

Conor Ronan

i would take that tbh (but don’t think there’s much truth in it unfortunately)

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

20 hours ago, MyWay said:

Side note- Teams like Wolves spending 45m+ on players blows my mind!

They spunked 30 million on fabio Silva in 2020 and got 4 goals from him. Farmed out to Anderlecht on loan 

Can you imagine what we could do with 30 million up here 😳

32 minutes ago, Spookie said:

They spunked 30 million on fabio Silva in 2020 and got 4 goals from him. Farmed out to Anderlecht on loan 

Can you imagine what we could do with 30 million up here 😳

its incredible mate. A 30m budget would change our future forever 😂

9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Will the Europa budget differ from the Europa that much? 

It's an additional £700k just for qualifying, and something like an additional £120k per game, so if we qualify and play 6 group matches its nearly £2M more in the Europa League (potentially more if we don't lose every game 🤣

Qualify for the knockout rounds and we're guaranteed another £2M minimum (£1.1M for qualifying and £500k per knockout leg).

Basically UEL geoups earns us about £5M and the UECL equivalent is about £3M-odd.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

It's an additional £700k just for qualifying, and something like an additional £120k per game, so if we qualify and play 6 group matches its nearly £2M more in the Europa League (potentially more if we don't lose every game 🤣

Qualify for the knockout rounds and we're guaranteed another £2M minimum (£1.1M for qualifying and £500k per knockout leg).

Basically UEL geoups earns us about £5M and the UECL equivalent is about £3M-odd.

I don't think you get anything "per game" in either.  You get £ for wins and draws.

If we lost all games in both the difference is about 700k.  I would rather be in the higher ranked tournament but I see the argument that we may make more from the conference league through getting more points and having a higher chance of progressing beyond Christmas.

7 minutes ago, db211833 said:

I don't think you get anything "per game" in either.  You get £ for wins and draws.

If we lost all games in both the difference is about 700k.  I would rather be in the higher ranked tournament but I see the argument that we may make more from the conference league through getting more points and having a higher chance of progressing beyond Christmas.

Not that it should be in our minds, but I wonder how coefficient points work?  Do we get more for getting to Europa and losing all our games or falling into Conf and winning two or three?

Only thought being we want to retain this 3rd spot/cup winner guaranteed group football type scenario

7 minutes ago, db211833 said:

But...

In the ECL we need to finish in the top 2 in the group, to progress beyond Christmas

In the EL even if we finish 3rd in the group, we would drop down to play in the ECL after Christmas

(*At least I think that's the case)

Monsieur Maroon
7 minutes ago, brypie04 said:

But...

In the ECL we need to finish in the top 2 in the group, to progress beyond Christmas

In the EL even if we finish 3rd in the group, we would drop down to play in the ECL after Christmas

You’d imagine a 3rd place finish in the EL would be quite a challenge

Bungalow Bill
10 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

So… from what I can gather we are signing

Zander Clarke

Leon Balogun

Conor Ronan

i would take that tbh (but don’t think there’s much truth in it unfortunately)

I also think we’ll likely see 2 loan signings from the EPL, they’re still looking at their squads etc. 

jamboinglasgow

I suspect that the way it is going, no signings this week. Which means either we make 3-4 signings in a week and a half, or we get 1 signing and it ends up feeling anti-climatic (not saying we have had a bad window as I think we have signed well, just anti-climatic after all the speculation.) I can see it being one of those two options.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Daily Record linking Robert Snodgrass with Motherwell,  could do a job?

34 injury prone and no sell on value, see Aiden Mcgeady for reference. 

Jambo 4 Ever
22 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I suspect that the way it is going, no signings this week. Which means either we make 3-4 signings in a week and a half, or we get 1 signing and it ends up feeling anti-climatic (not saying we have had a bad window as I think we have signed well, just anti-climatic after all the speculation.) I can see it being one of those two options.

Will go for the latter 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
24 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

As I never get anything right, I'll choose the latter option.

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Nah we've moved away from Leveins type of recruitment thankfully 

RustyRightPeg

Something a bit different I’d like to see us look at Elijah Dixon Bonner. Liverpool just let him go. 

Free transfer and plenty of upside. 

6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

34 injury prone and no sell on value, see Aiden Mcgeady for reference. 

We do get a bit fixated about "sell on value". Not every player is going to be sold for a profit. We've little success at bringing in players on a free or a modest fee and selling for a tasty profit. There are players in their 30's who could add to what we have.  Don't see Snodgrass being one though. 

We have players now who could command a decent fee. Quite a few players could fall into that category. A good European campaign could see some offers incoming.  Sustained EL or ECL participation and player trading is where we'll set ourselves apart from the rest. Aberdeen have done well on the player trading front but that could have dried up now.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Something a bit different I’d like to see us look at Elijah Dixon Bonner. Liverpool just let him go. 

seen him suggested before. Would agree with you, would be one worth going for.

9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He's excellent on Britain's Got Talent.  Wouldn't be easy to play in some of the outfits he wears (not that I'd complain)

AllyjamboDerbyshire
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Any player that comes in has to be better than what we have. 

I think that sentence would read better as 'must be' rather than 'has to be', otherwise it coud be read as our team is full of players easily improved on by signing just anybody. I know I'm being extremely pedantic because I knew exactly what you meant, but with the clock ticking by so slowly today, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I've passed a couple of minutes writing this. Of course, I totally agree with you on what you say as there's no point wasting money on players at this stage who are just going to warm the bench.

HeartsandonlyHearts
22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Any player that comes in has to be better than what we have. 

Depends on the position he plays?

16 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Offer our worst player in exchange for an unattached Zander Clark to a club he's never actually played for? Interesting idea ...

🤣🤣🤣... still gets my backing!

1 hour ago, brypie04 said:

But...

Correct... personally, I think 3rd in the Europa is (potentially) more achievable than 2nd in the Conference... some tough teams in the Conference!

Obviously, I'm hoping for better!

FTH

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Monsieur Maroon said:

You’d imagine a 3rd place finish in the EL would be quite a challenge

Maybe,  but a couple of home wins could see that done. 

Even Utd beat AZ at home -  still 3 points if a group game,  despite the away leg hammering. 

Most of these teams are around about the OF level and I fancy us at home v them,  so why not v the other teams. 

Bring it on I say. 

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe,  but a couple of home wins could see that done. 

Even Utd beat AZ at home -  still 3 points if a group game,  despite the away leg hammering. 

Most of these teams are around about the OF level and I fancy us at home v them,  so why not v the other teams. 

Bring it on I say. 

Does Rangers getting to the final not suggests most teams are below Old Firm level ?

Aussie Jambo
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Does Rangers getting to the final not suggests most teams are below Old Firm level ?

I was thinking the same. 

15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Correct... personally, I think 3rd in the Europa is (potentially) more achievable than 2nd in the Conference... some tough teams in the Conference!

Obviously, I'm hoping for better!

FTH

This caught out dear old Brendan Rogers last year.

After Leicester ended up third, he didn't realise when asked that they had dropped in to the conference last 32!

I've posted before on this. A few of the bigger teams don't really want to be in the Europa, playing on a Thursday night. Some will use it to blood some youngsters or get guys 'minutes' when coming back from injury. We certainly have a chance of 3rd in the Europa if not better.

Looking at the 8 groups from last year, 6 points was good enough for 2 teams to finish 3rd, and 7 points for another 2. So 4 teams from 8 only needed either 6 or 7 points to reach the Conference knock out stage.

I think I'd back us to pick up at least 6 points, only 2 home wins, if not more. Aware it will be tough but at Tynie, under the lights, the place rocking ( TM, R. Neilson ) we will have a fighting chance.

Also think we'll beat Zurich will a goal or two to spare over the two legs.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Have said before I think we won’t sign anyone until the 28th, and given that’s pretty close to the end of the window it won’t be 3 or 4 more in and therefore - for some - will be anticlimactic.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Carter said:

We do get a bit fixated about "sell on value". Not every player is going to be sold for a profit. We've little success at bringing in players on a free or a modest fee and selling for a tasty profit. There are players in their 30's who could add to what we have.  Don't see Snodgrass being one though. 

We have players now who could command a decent fee. Quite a few players could fall into that category. A good European campaign could see some offers incoming.  Sustained EL or ECL participation and player trading is where we'll set ourselves apart from the rest. Aberdeen have done well on the player trading front but that could have dried up now.

I wouldn't say fixated, I mentioned two other reasons not to sign him.

Absolutely there will be players to compliment ones we have that are over 30 or want to finish their career in Scotland. Snodgrass is a no for me and there's a reason it's motherwell being linked.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Always liked Snodgrass and he's someone I've always wanted to see at Hearts. Used to train with him at Livi when I was 15/16 and he was just an immense footballer compared to everyone else. Will always remember Lee Bailey - who coached us and whom I think was still playing for Livi at the time - trying to get the ball off him and ending up on his arse. Would be some character to have around the club as well. At 34 though, I'm afraid he might be past the point where he would be a valuable addition. 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No idea but I think some are a tad better,  some maybe a tad worse. 

Celtic won the Scottish league  but bombed in Europe,  Rangers done well in Europe but Celtic won the league over them. 

Make of that what you will. 

It's not an exact science but I think most are about the OF level,  some above in pot 1 and maybe 2, 3 and 4 they will Likley be a little behind them. 

A week tomorrow we will know what “minimum” budget we have (conference group qualification, Europa Group qualification, split revenues with the Huns). Surely that would be critical in relation to us on the transfer activity. Might be obvious but I’d expect us to wait to know how much money we have before we try and spend it.

25 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

This caught out dear old Brendan Rogers last year.

After Leicester ended up third, he didn't realise when asked that they had dropped in to the conference last 32!

I've posted before on this. A few of the bigger teams don't really want to be in the Europa, playing on a Thursday night. Some will use it to blood some youngsters or get guys 'minutes' when coming back from injury. We certainly have a chance of 3rd in the Europa if not better.

Looking at the 8 groups from last year, 6 points was good enough for 2 teams to finish 3rd, and 7 points for another 2. So 4 teams from 8 only needed either 6 or 7 points to reach the Conference knock out stage.

I think I'd back us to pick up at least 6 points, only 2 home wins, if not more. Aware it will be tough but at Tynie, under the lights, the place rocking ( TM, R. Neilson ) we will have a fighting chance.

Also think we'll beat Zurich will a goal or two to spare over the two legs.

Interesting regarding 'points required'... but I also fancy us to go through 🤞 Good times!

HeartsandonlyHearts
55 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Particularly goalkeeper. 🥸

That was the first position I thought of.

We couldn’t afford better. By 10’s of thousands a week.

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

21 yo - so the first thing I thought was to compare him to Ben Woodburn and Demitri Mitchell (who were both 21 or under and at massive clubs when we signed them), and he's not as good as either of them. Definitely not a first team quality player. Then I'm comparing him to what we've got already in the fringe player category - i.e. Gino, GMS, then Pollock, Smith, etc, and I don't think he appears to be any better than any of them either (and is older than the latter two). 

Gets a strong "meh" from me. Much better value out there since his Liverpool Academy wages will be comparable with our first team and he'll need to take a much bigger drop than many to sign for us.

Edited by Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

21 yo - so the first thing I thought was to compare him to Ben Woodburn and Demitri Mitchell (who were both 21 or under when we signed them), and he's not as good as either of them. Definitely not a first team quality player. Then I'm comparing him to what we've got already in the fringe player category - i.e. Gino, GMS, then Pollock, Smith, etc, and I don't think he appears to be any better than any of them either (and is older than the latter two). 

Gets a strong "meh" from me. Much better value out there since his Liverpool Academy wages will be comparable with our first team and he'll need to take a much bigger drop than many to sign for us.

GMS a former Liverpool Academy graduate too of course…

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, brypie04 said:

Scot Allan was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Signed by Arbroath

Those wanting to see him in maroon will be happy I suppose

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I think that sentence would read better as 'must be' rather than 'has to be', otherwise it coud be read as our team is full of players easily improved on by signing just anybody. I know I'm being extremely pedantic because I knew exactly what you meant, but with the clock ticking by so slowly today, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I've passed a couple of minutes writing this. Of course, I totally agree with you on what you say as there's no point wasting money on players at this stage who are just going to warm the bench.

Yep. We need players that improve the starting XI. Not squad fillers.

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Depends on the position he plays?

I think bar RCB, RW/RF, our starting XI is pretty good. We probably need a bit more depth at CM and a better backup GK. 

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Always liked Snodgrass and he's someone I've always wanted to see at Hearts. Used to train with him at Livi when I was 15/16 and he was just an immense footballer compared to everyone else. Will always remember Lee Bailey - who coached us and whom I think was still playing for Livi at the time - trying to get the ball off him and ending up on his arse. Would be some character to have around the club as well. At 34 though, I'm afraid he might be past the point where he would be a valuable addition. 

I concur. Would be a useful guy to have around

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. We need players that improve the starting XI. Not squad fillers.

I think bar RCB, RW/RF, our starting XI is pretty good. We probably need a bit more depth at CM and a better backup GK. 

As you said, we’ve had a decent window up to now. Another 2/3 signings will most likely happen. If one of them could be a “wow” we’ll have had a great window. Even a loan player.

HHGH

1 hour ago, brypie04 said:

Scot Allan was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Signed by Arbroath

Anyone who thinks Scott Allan would have been even slightly useful to us needs their head checked.

... As demonstrated by where he's ended up. 

2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Interesting regarding 'points required'... but I also fancy us to go through 🤞 Good times!

👍

Yes, I can't make Zurich away but I'm poised with skyscanner at the ready for next Friday's draw, regardless of where we end up.

Funny feeling if we are in the Europa, it will be Man U and Union Berlin. Hopefully a wee team from Iceland or Latvia to make up the numbers...😁 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***