• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Like I said, go & have a look at what the fans thought of him at his recent club. Those that actually watched him play. Cart horse lol. He's maybe not everybody's ideal striker but he's got at least a year left in him if not more. Injury prone yes, he has been but not much of a risk on a short term deal when you consider the 3 year deals offered for the likes of Sammon. Robbo benefited from Sandy Clark up front. I'm sure Shankland would love a similar type of target man. 

I’m not going to talk about Carroll as it’s a non-starter, but I’ll just mention that last bit. When are we going to stop using the Robbo/Sandy Clark pairing as an example? In the modern game of football the 4-4-2 is dead, mainly because every team knows how to exploit it’s obvious weaknesses. Teams only revert to it when chasing the game in the last 10 minutes, knowing there’s a risk they’ll concede. So, signing players to play like a striking pairing did over 35 years ago doesn’t seem the wisest way to spend the cash.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not going to talk about Carroll as it’s a non-starter, but I’ll just mention that last bit. When are we going to stop using the Robbo/Sandy Clark pairing as an example? In the modern game of football the 4-4-2 is dead, mainly because every team knows how to exploit it’s obvious weaknesses. Teams only revert to it when chasing the game in the last 10 minutes, knowing there’s a risk they’ll concede. So, signing players to play like a striking pairing did over 35 years ago doesn’t seem the wisest way to spend the cash.

So a De Vries type or a Clark/Hately type wouldn't get a start for you against Hibs then? The only problem with it is if the team start playing hoofball because they have a so called target man to blooter the ball to. 

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Spookie said:

We have stalled it seems 

Activity laboured,  Asian Markets which take weeks to process, even if true 

Dundee United looked solid tonight 

The Don's make their 10th signing 

We seem to be stuck, trialists proving themselves at this late stage In the game 

Tell you what I hope the wait is worth it boys 

Some man 🎣

10 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We didn’t play 4-4-2 with Robbo and Clark. We played 4-3-3 most weeks with Colquhoun the wide man and Clark the main striker with Robbo feeding off him and sometimes adding width when needed. 

We could play 4-3-3 with the squad we have with Mackay or Forrest in the Colquhoun role. Shankland the main striker and Boyce in the Robbo role. (Before you start I’m not saying he’s as good as Robbo) That would give Grant/Forrest  a game in attacking midfield where I think they are best suited anyway and it’s going to do my tits if RN keeps playing Grant in that deeper role.

And that was a complete waste of time because RN isn’t changing this dual system anytime soon.

BackOfTheNet
12 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

So a De Vries type or a Clark/Hately type wouldn't get a start for you against Hibs then? The only problem with it is if the team start playing hoofball because they have a so called target man to blooter the ball to. 

I’m not saying they wouldn’t get a start, but they would have to play through the middle with two playing off them, not up top as a pairing. As if you do that then you leave yourself either narrow up top, unless you have wide midfielders, which leaves you exposed in midfield and you almost certainly have to have a back four which in effect means with a 4-4-2 it would be us having to play hoofball. And all other teams would have to do is work the ball past our front two and find the spaces to exploit between the other 8 players, which is easier to do in the modern game with how tactics and passing has adapted over the years. Maybe the game will change again and 4-4-2 will come back in fashion somehow, but I doubt it, and until then calling for a big target man is one thing, but aiding an argument with an old fashioned wee man/big man pairing is not really conducive to how football is played these days.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We didn’t play 4-4-2 with Robbo and Clark. We played 4-3-3 most weeks with Colquhoun the wide man and Clark the main striker with Robbo feeding off him and sometimes adding width when needed. 

We could play 4-3-3 with the squad we have with Mackay or Forrest in the Colquhoun role. Shankland the main striker and Boyce in the Robbo role. (Before you start I’m not saying he’s as good as Robbo) That would give Grant/Forrest  a game in attacking midfield where I think they are best suited anyway and it’s going to do my tits if RN keeps playing Grant in that deeper role.

And that was a complete waste of time because RN isn’t changing this dual system anytime soon.

Never really saw it that way myself, it has to be said. I always saw it as 4-4-2, but with Robbo having a bit more of a free role whereas Clark would be central mainly and Colquhoun would be allowed to get higher up more often. But defensively was a flat 4-4-2 and going forward a little more fluid, but other than when Colquhoun would start jinking past players, to me it was still a 4-4-2 shape, if not necessarily a rigid one.

Byyy The Light
21 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

They blooter it because the 2 man central midfield is marked out the game and there is no out ball.

So no I don’t want 2 upfront and let Hibs dominate the ball in midfield.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not saying they wouldn’t get a start, but they would have to play through the middle with two playing off them, not up top as a pairing. As if you do that then you leave yourself either narrow up top, unless you have wide midfielders, which leaves you exposed in midfield and you almost certainly have to have a back four which in effect means with a 4-4-2 it would be us having to play hoofball. And all other teams would have to do is work the ball past our front two and find the spaces to exploit between the other 8 players, which is easier to do in the modern game with how tactics and passing has adapted over the years. Maybe the game will change again and 4-4-2 will come back in fashion somehow, but I doubt it, and until then calling for a big target man is one thing, but aiding an argument with an old fashioned wee man/big man pairing is not really conducive to how football is played these days.

Yes I take your point the game has changed, but even Simms was a bit of an old fashioned "big target man" and look what he brought to us. Tbh he wasn't that good in the air from what I saw. It's having somebody big & strong that can run the channels, drag defences about and use a bit of muscle when needed. Yes & win their fare share of aerial duels. I don't think that's old fashioned or not conducive to the modern game. Shankland as far as I can tell is not that kind of player. He needs somebody to play off. I hope Boyce & Shankland are played together at some point because Shankland can't do it himself. 

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Yes I take your point the game has changed, but even Simms was a bit of an old fashioned "big target man" and look what he brought to us. Tbh he wasn't that good in the air from what I saw. It's having somebody big & strong that can run the channels, drag defences about and use a bit of muscle when needed. Yes & win their fare share of aerial duels. I don't think that's old fashioned or not conducive to the modern game. Shankland as far as I can tell is not that kind of player. He needs somebody to play off. I hope Boyce & Shankland are played together at some point because Shankland can't do it himself. 

I agree Simms was that player, and what you’ve described in terms of running channels etc is exactly was the modern day big target man does. Clark, De Vries etc didn’t do that. They were focal points. Just like Carroll is.

7 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Or entering a martial arts contest on a privately owned island, defeating the island boss and coming back with a couple of top signings.😎

😄 

Leveins Battalion
7 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

I really can’t believe the panic that’s happening tbh, the squad we have is very good. The last few signings are the ones we will be taking time on adding more quality now that we have the squad in place 

We were a ball hair away from losing 2 goals on Saturday when Ross County seemed relentless in attack and Atkinson got ripped silly,the boy Simms missed a sitter on the rebound from 2 yards aswell.

It's all fine margins,we are not as great as some on here think.

If we get beat on Sunday the management will get pelters for recruitment this Summer guarenteed.😂

One thing I noticed last week with Shankland 

Whilst he’s not a Simms like player - he won’t get bullied at all. I was surprised at how he put himself about.

And he absolutely looks like a typical penalty box striker in that I think he will look to shoot at every opportunity. Something we have it had in a long time - we have the annoying habit of passing just at that moment 

27 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We were a ball hair away from losing 2 goals on Saturday when Ross County seemed relentless in attack and Atkinson got ripped silly,the boy Simms missed a sitter on the rebound from 2 yards aswell.

If we get beat on Sunday the management will get pelters for recruitment this Summer guarenteed.😂

Atkinson was ill and Ross county had played 4 competitive fixtures and were clearly sharper in the first half. Despite this we won the game. Think we are alright. 

2 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Whilst he’s not a Simms like player - he won’t get bullied at all. I was surprised at how he put himself about.

And he absolutely looks like a typical penalty box striker in that I think he will look to shoot at every opportunity. Something we have it had in a long time - we have the annoying habit of passing just at that moment 

Completely agree with the bold sentence and pleasantly surprised me a little. 

Edited by Dazo

6 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I really think if we start with Boyce and Shankland we can really do that Hibs backline a lot of damage. Neither of these two will be bullied especially by that thug Porteous.

Alec Eiffel
1 minute ago, leipzig76 said:

I really think if we start with Boyce and Shankland we can really do that Hibs backline a lot of damage. Neither of these two will be bullied especially by that thug Porteous.

1 minute ago, leipzig76 said:

I agree.  RN needs to adopt a more adventurous approach than his usual normal away game cautiousness.  Go with both barrels brazing.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
28 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Atkinson was ill and Ross county had played 4 competitive fixtures and were clearly sharper in the first half. Despite this we won the game. Think we are alright. 

Exactly, it's about getting players for years to come, not about 30 minutes against Ross County 

It would be no good Hearts getting Andy Carrol as we seem to be the only team in the league that is punished for having a physical striker.

22 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Exactly, it's about getting players for years to come, not about 30 minutes against Ross County 

Completely agree. Far too much moaning on here about a lacklustre half of football which was the first of the season. 

Under the floodlight
29 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

It's all about where we finish, we'll have good games and not win,bad games and win, but its the final position that counts. Sit back,relax and enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

It would be no good Hearts getting Andy Carrol as we seem to be the only team in the league that is punished for having a physical striker.

Correct.

What I will say is people are underrating Andy Carrol, he's a very very good player.  He'd tear it up up here if fit and motivated.  The if in that sentence is why we won't and shouldn't be in for him though.

Kind of guy if you couldn't guarantee 30 games of him performing, and it's in your budget somehow, no brainer.  That's too much of an unknown with the bloke it would appear (mostly due to fitness than attitude these days it would appear tbf).

Can see why people kind of bring up a name like Carroll on here, it's a bit of fun to think how it could work, but yeah it ends there!!!

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I agree that we could have been beaten - BUT County were much more match fit. We started a player who was recovering from illness, we still won against a good side. I dont think Saturday's game was a reflection on the quality of our squad at all. We have more depth and quality this time than we did at t his stage last season. Bar Beni being out obviously. 

johnking123

First game of the season was about getting 3 points.  Played a team that hat 3 competitive games. Was never going to be easy. We will improve with games 

7 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

First game of the season was about getting 3 points.  Played a team that hat 3 competitive games. Was never going to be easy. We will improve with games 

Any indication of Davenport being signed and if so would it be in time for Sunday?

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, feej said:

Any indication of Davenport being signed and if so would it be in time for Sunday?

i dont think he would be in contention to play if we did sign him - given a week to decide on him at training, and then any decision will probably be mid-week

11 hours ago, Homme said:

We've a great squad which will be even better by the end of this month.

Aberdeen have made 10 signings. Who's cares? They had to, they were ****ing shite last year. No proof they are any better yet.

Utd drew with Kilmarnock at the weekend. Anything can happen on a Euro night at home as hopefully we will find out soon enough.

Agree we do have a good squad Mate 

Just feel we've stalled with recruitment is all 

Hopefully Joe has a fee gems up his sleeve 🙏 

2 minutes ago, Spookie said:

I don't think we have stalled, just don't think we are going to panic buy players that won't improve us. I'm pretty confident that by the end of the window we will have identified and signed a couple more quality players. Juts because we don't hear about it, doesn't mean we aren't in talks with players.

JamboAndrew

I'd imagine we have learned valuable lessons from Levein's time, when players were offered who appeared to be good, see Washington and Whelen, and we went for them enmass, and then tried to build a team from them. I get the feeling Robbie and Co know what they want and Joe is being cautious about getting the right people. So a totally different approach.

1 minute ago, JamboAndrew said:

I'd imagine we have learned valuable lessons from Levein's time, when players were offered who appeared to be good, see Washington and Whelen, and we went for them enmass, and then tried to build a team from them. I get the feeling Robbie and Co know what they want and Joe is being cautious about getting the right people. So a totally different approach.

Totally this

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I don't think we have stalled, just don't think we are going to panic buy players that won't improve us. I'm pretty confident that by the end of the window we will have identified and signed a couple more quality players. Juts because we don't hear about it, doesn't mean we aren't in talks with players.

Let's hope so 

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, Spookie said:

The problem when we are so private in our signings is when there is no news or real rumours, it can be often be confused for the club doing nothing or failing in signings. In reality signings can take a while, especially good ones. Cant remember if it was Joe or Robbie who said it, but it took us 5 or 6 weeks to sign Shankland. I suspect there is a few deals on going that will take time and you find a lot of business picks up towards the end of the window as clubs play chicken with each other.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Washington was a good player and still is, had bad luck with a hamstring, he was a decent signing and probably planned, unlike, Damour, Whelan and Pereira, all whisked in the door in desperation and made things worse

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The problem when we are so private in our signings is when there is no news or real rumours, it can be often be confused for the club doing nothing or failing in signings. In reality signings can take a while, especially good ones. Cant remember if it was Joe or Robbie who said it, but it took us 5 or 6 weeks to sign Shankland. I suspect there is a few deals on going that will take time and you find a lot of business picks up towards the end of the window as clubs play chicken with each other.

Very often you have to wait for a club to get their replacement in first

I have no idea where the Andy carroll chat came from but if it was pay as you play deal and within budget it would be a no brainer. Would be a real asset especially away in europe. I suspect however it is total nonsense

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Washington was a good player and still is, had bad luck with a hamstring, he was a decent signing and probably planned, unlike, Damour, Whelan and Pereira, all whisked in the door in desperation and made things worse

Damour was far from a desperation signing. Levein had been tracking him for years. Which goes to show just how shite his recruitment was. 

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, savage said:

I have no idea where the Andy carroll chat came from but if it was pay as you play deal and within budget it would be a no brainer. Would be a real asset especially away in europe. I suspect however it is total nonsense

I've been suggesting him since he left his last club but since then he's failed a medical at Brugge so don't know what that's about; and most recently someone on Facebook or Twitter was quite insistent that we were interested I think. I'd be all for it if we could get him on a pay as you play type thing. He's a monster up front and Reading absolutely loved him for his work rate, hold-up play, and for the fact that he stuck his heed on just about anything. We're really missing that height and strength up front and actually in the team as a whole right now and I think he would be a great addition (if fit). Nothing to suggest he would be injury prone - its obviously a historical thing from his knee problems and he's just played a full season down south. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Agreed, I liked Washington and under other circumstances could have been a very good player for us.  Not on the naughty list in the slightest.  The unlucky list, yes!

All roads lead to Gorgie

I don't think Andy Carrol would stand a chance with the numpties that pass for refs up here! 

Just now, brux said:

Why are we still following/giving this guy the time of day, he know jack 

Wasn't sure if he was, suspected nonsense 

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I've been suggesting him since he left his last club but since then he's failed a medical at Brugge so don't know what that's about; and most recently someone on Facebook or Twitter was quite insistent that we were interested I think. I'd be all for it if we could get him on a pay as you play type thing. He's a monster up front and Reading absolutely loved him for his work rate, hold-up play, and for the fact that he stuck his heed on just about anything. We're really missing that height and strength up front and actually in the team as a whole right now and I think he would be a great addition (if fit). Nothing to suggest he would be injury prone - its obviously a historical thing from his knee problems and he's just played a full season down south. 

Only played 23 games last season (over 2 clubs) but just had closer look at he had only signed for Reading in November, so actually he must have played a fair percentage of the remaining games of the season.

I really like him as a player, he has way more to his game than bravery, headers etc.  He's scored some screamers in his day.  Bit of a Big Dunc kinda player really - all rounder pigeon holed due to his size and general type of goal scored.

As I say, fun to discuss on here (we forget sometimes we're allowed to do that!!) but surely not even close to radar!!  Would potentially be either a lot of fun or a lot of been here before, off you **** son!

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Only played 23 games last season (over 2 clubs) but just had closer look at he had only signed for Reading in November, so actually he must have played a fair percentage of the remaining games of the season.

I really like him as a player, he has way more to his game than bravery, headers etc.  He's scored some screamers in his day.  Bit of a Big Dunc kinda player really - all rounder pigeon holed due to his size and general type of goal scored.

As I say, fun to discuss on here (we forget sometimes we're allowed to do that!!) but surely not even close to radar!!  Would potentially be either a lot of fun or a lot of been here before, off you **** son!

Yeah he signed for them mid-season, signed a short term deal played with them until January and did well enough to get a move to West Brom. He wasn't great there but that was in EPL so definitely not his level any more. 

Would be a good pickup for us for the year ahead if the money was right. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Damour was far from a desperation signing. Levein had been tracking him for years. Which goes to show just how shite his recruitment was. 

Came in the door last minute after some desperate results, when we were missing Haring. I would have said it was pretty desperate all in all

4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah he signed for them mid-season, signed a short term deal played with them until January and did well enough to get a move to West Brom. He wasn't great there but that was in EPL so definitely not his level any more. 

Would be a good pickup for us for the year ahead if the money was right. 

West Brom are in the championship 

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

There’s no denying we were poor in the first half against County and should have went in losing. However both Rangers and Celtic didn’t have great first half’s and were rusty. The benefits of the league cup are you’re playing competitive games albeit against poorer sides.

I saw enough from the signings, mainly Grant and Forrest, that they will add to what we have.

It’s not surprising that the majority of the better players we signed last year happened towards the end of the window. As they’re the ones who have options, because generally they’re better, and in some cases are the players that their club doesn’t want to lose.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***