• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't see how folk can afford this, come next winter .

and the the great Westminster Government are doing **** all to alleviate this.

Just take it dry and get on with it.

Absolutely criminal.

Yet the Muppets will slag off the SG.

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

and the the great Westminster Government are doing **** all to alleviate this.

Just take it dry and get on with it.

Absolutely criminal.

Alex Salmond was pointing out, that Scotland has 1 m people in fuel poverty, yet Scotland has vast fuel production.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Alex Salmond was pointing out, that Scotland has 1 m people in fuel poverty, yet Scotland has vast fuel production.

Absolutely crazy.

Folk in my local are to busy slagging NS than worrying about being ripped off by the Utility companies.

Nothing as queer as folk.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolutely crazy.

Folk in my local are to busy slagging NS than worrying about being ripped off by the Utility companies.

Nothing as queer as folk.

Exactly. NS is the least of our worries ATM. Rishi could win himself some votes if he put the cap back on, to before it went up. Must have shares or the party is benefitting by donations .

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Exactly. NS is the least of our worries ATM. Rishi could win himself some votes if he put the cap back on, to before it went up. Must have shares or the party is benefitting by donations .

Yep.

NS and the Ukrainian War are great diversions from the shit show.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yep.

NS and the Ukrainian War are great diversions from the shit show.

:Agree: 

If Russia wins,  does the energy bill go down. :naughty:

Nucky Thompson
38 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You do know that you can slag off both governments?

The UK government are making an erse of running the UK and the Scottish government are making an erse of running Scotland.

The difference is the Tories will get emptied at the next GE, but the SNP are bullet proof and their cult like followers will keep voting for them

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The UK government are making an erse of running the UK and the Scottish government are making an erse of running Scotland.

The difference is the Tories will get emptied at the next GE, but the SNP are bullet proof and their cult like followers will keep voting for them

Tory voters - Just want things to be nice an Britishey.

SNP Voters - Just a cult

Yeh OK mate.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:bigyawn: Plenty of no voters , vote SNP, cause they know they'll do what they can to protect Scotland. They've made mistakes, but to compare them with the scum that run The UK government is pretty cultist behaviour. 

Ferries v PPE 🤔 

This is you :yadayada:Fecking ferries

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tory voters - Just want things to be nice an Britishey.

SNP Voters - Just a cult

Yeh OK mate.

I never mentioned Tory voters

The Tories are a nap to get voted out because they've fecked up bid style

The SNP can do exactly what they want without impunity.

Cultish behaviour no?

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:bigyawn: Plenty of no voters , vote SNP, cause they know they'll do what they can to protect Scotland. They've made mistakes, but to compare them with the scum that run The UK government is pretty cultist behaviour. 

Ferries v PPE 🤔 

This is you :yadayada:Fecking ferries

I'm comparing them because they are both fecking useless.

It's not just ferries though is it?

On 16/02/2023 at 14:44, ri Alban said:

And you accuse Indy supporters of being sheep. The Tory could set your house on fire and you'd thank for the opportunity of heating your family.

Any excuse to post this video again from Spitting Image in 1991!

Isle of Man Energy regulator demands Isle of Man Energy to cut gas bills by 16%.

Anyone seen our regulator????

Late last Feb, Gas n leccy £95 :biggrin2: late Feb 2023, £285 tripled...:sad:...yet roughly 100 P/therm cheaper...

Screenshot (23).png

Edited by OBE

33 minutes ago, OBE said:

Isle of Man Energy regulator demands Isle of Man Energy to cut gas bills by 16%.

Late last Feb, Gas n leccy £95 :biggrin2: late Feb 2023, £285 tripled...:sad:...yet roughly 100 P/therm cheaper...

Screenshot (23).png

rip off big time, might change my supplier , just to lose them a customer.

I wont save money but have to do something.

Footballfirst

I expect that we will have to wait for the budget for an announcement on any changes to the planned increase of the cap to £3,000 for the average household, from 1 April.

The fall in the market price suggests that the cap could be maintained at £2,500, which no doubt the Tories would claim to be a £500 cut in prices, when it remains an increase of £400 with the loss of the winter subsidy.

The Real Maroonblood
55 minutes ago, OBE said:

Screenshot (23).png

The war in The Ukraine is a good distraction for the UK Government to do anything about energy prices. 

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I expect that we will have to wait for the budget for an announcement on any changes to the planned increase of the cap to £3,000 for the average household, from 1 April.

The fall in the market price suggests that the cap could be maintained at £2,500, which no doubt the Tories would claim to be a £500 cut in prices, when it remains an increase of £400 with the loss of the winter subsidy.

I read the other day that, that Cornwall Insight reckoned that the price cap would be around about £2,100 by July, before maybe increasing again for next winter, but it was only a maybe, it might not, they couldn't tell at the moment.

Captain Sausage

Just the £750 this month for gas and electricity. Absolutely insane. 

Meant to be reasonably comfortable with two working partners in decent jobs, but nursery fees jacked up 20%, school club fees through the roof, food bill exponentially higher, and no pay rises. 

Even if this plateaus in a years time, looking at another 10% reduction in our spending power. Absolutely criminal to be in this position as a country. 

Just now, Irufushi said:

£750 a month for gas and electric 🙈 wtf. 

I was £103 this month. 

I'm currently at £122 for this month so far, expect my bill for the full month of February to be around £160-£175.

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

£750 a month for gas and electric 🙈 wtf. 

I was £103 this month. 

Got a wee one and a terribly insulated house. 

I tried turning the heating off during the day, but the energy to bring it up from the 13-14 to 20degC was doubling the daily cost. 

No chance I can sink 60-80k to replace all the windows and fit cavity wall insulation. 

joondalupjambo
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I hardly have my heating on and my bill will be about £250

Temperature is about 18 degrees most of the time

Dual cost or just heating?

It is the oven that gets me.  Had oven chips last night for the first time in ages.  Looked at the smart meter when they were Cook Ng, no idea why think I was just passing it and the thing was going round like a hamster on a wheel!!!

35 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I tried turning the heating off during the day, but the energy to bring it up from the 13-14 to 20degC was doubling the daily cost. 

No chance I can sink 60-80k to replace all the windows and fit cavity wall insulation. 

Feel for you, those prices are a disgrace. I generally have mine sat at 17/18deg or if I’m out I turn off the thermostat and it only kicks in if it falls below 5deg . I’ve woke up and come home to the house at 14deg if she’s away at her grans and it isn’t pleasant but needs must to save a bit. 

joondalupjambo

This is where an old codger like me comes along and says.......

I grew up in a house with only a two bar electric fire in the lounge and a single bar wall one in the bathroom.  No heating anywhere else and we lived through that from birth until we left home.  Ice on windows on the inside to boot.  Mum was a single parent bringing in a small wage with no added benefits. And that was through the 60's when winters were winters not like the tropical ones we are having now.

Not sure of the relevance but nice to reminisce 😄

Nucky Thompson
33 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Dual cost or just heating?

It is the oven that gets me.  Had oven chips last night for the first time in ages.  Looked at the smart meter when they were Cook Ng, no idea why think I was just passing it and the thing was going round like a hamster on a wheel!!!

That's dual cost.

Ovens are mental until they reach the desired temperature.

Washing machines use a lot, but only when they're spinning though.

Electric showers are the worst 

I've become a wee bit obsessed with my smart meter :biggrin2:

I fitted a smart heating system over the spring/summer. Only switch on the radiators in the kids bedrooms if they're here, and the downstairs heating for a couple of hours in the evening if needed. 

Not sure on any savings, but I suspect they'll be in the energy used category, rather than financial. 

12 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Meant to be reasonably comfortable with two working partners in decent jobs, but nursery fees jacked up 20%, school club fees through the roof, food bill exponentially higher, and no pay rises. 

Even if this plateaus in a years time, looking at another 10% reduction in our spending power. Absolutely criminal to be in this position as a country. 

£750 ? that’s brutal. We’re are averaging about £450 over the winter months but heading into spring about £500 in credit. 

Captain Sausage
12 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Feel for you, those prices are a disgrace. I generally have mine sat at 17/18deg or if I’m out I turn off the thermostat and it only kicks in if it falls below 5deg . I’ve woke up and come home to the house at 14deg if she’s away at her grans and it isn’t pleasant but needs must to save a bit. 

Tried having it down at 17/18/19 but kids weren’t sleeping and were moaning about being cold all the time - soft southerners but not fair on littles ones so trying to keep it at 20. 

Just crazy we are in this situation - feels like we are hurtling backwards at a rate of knots. 

Tend to adjust the thermostat when needed so the house never gets very cold.

Gets put down to 15.5-16c at night but we've got a fairly modern detached house so upstairs stays around 18c.

Then day time if it's cold outside it'll get put up to 17.5c then 18.5c/19c in the evening.

Seems to work. We were £300 combined for December bill but back down again. Direct debits stayed at £148 a month and still got about 2 months worth of credit.

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Crikey that’s a disgrace.

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Tried having it down at 17/18/19 but kids weren’t sleeping and were moaning about being cold all the time - soft southerners but not fair on littles ones so trying to keep it at 20. 

Just crazy we are in this situation - feels like we are hurtling backwards at a rate of knots. 

You need to get more layers on the bairns backs, Bud!

18 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

That's one of the biggest things which burns money.

I'm lucky that our house is fully insulated with double glazing, cavity wall and loft insulation, the loft was done years ago and then I floored it which makes a difference, the cavity wall insulation was only done in February 2020 and was free from the Scottish Government.

Sadly your situation is all too familiar, people living in poorly insulated houses and don't have the finances to do anything about it.

It's a vicious circle, heating your home costs so much more which means you don't have the spare cash to spend to insulate your home which would then save you so much money on your energy bills, and round and round we go.

The only way to solve it will be from Government to spend vast sums to insulate the millions of British homes which desperately need it, this in turn would help with Britain's energy security as we wouldn't be using as much energy...........but it's government we are talking about, so don't hold your breath.

The protest group Insulate Britain have been making that case for ages.

But instead of pumping public money into a nationwide home insulation plan to save every household in the entire nation money (and to lower the national energy demand on the already creaking energy plants), the government has instead decided to label Insulate Britain as The Enemy and wants to lock them all up.

The government would rather borrow billions from international lenders and shovel it into the pockets of the energy companies by way of an "energy subsidy" and act like they're doing you a feckin favour.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

The protest group Insulate Britain have been making that case for ages.

But instead of pumping public money into a nationwide home insulation plan to save every household in the entire nation money (and to lower the national energy demand on the already creaking energy plants), the government has instead decided to label Insulate Britain as The Enemy and wants to lock them all up.

The government would rather borrow billions from international lenders and shovel it into the pockets of the energy companies by way of an "energy subsidy" and act like they're doing you a feckin favour.

Protest through the ballot box instead of glueing themselves to the road and they might achieve something, that bunch of clowns (Insulate Britain) will get no sympathy from me.

Once again, the right message but the wrong way to go about it, imo.

Footballfirst

OFGEM is bringing their cap down from £4,279 in January to £3280 from 1st April.

Government support has provided a price guarantee for the average consumer at £2,500, but that is due to rise to £3,000 in April.  The government may now choose to reduce the scale of the proposed increase, but we probably won't find out until the budget.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

OFGEM is bringing their cap down from £4,279 in January to £3280 from 1st April.

Government support has provided a price guarantee for the average consumer at £2,500, but that is due to rise to £3,000 in April.  The government may now choose to reduce the scale of the proposed increase, but we probably won't find out until the budget.

We'd do well to remember that the government set the price we pay. OFGEM would have us paying even more, but currently Westminster decide what we'll be paying via the price guarantee, and it could be lower if they decided.

Price Guarantee my erse.

It's a PROFITS guarantee for the energy companies.

Borrowing billions on the international market to shovel it directly into the pockets of the big energy cartels.

:seething:

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Energy use in UK is still 40% gas

https://grid.iamkate.com/

Gas generation was 41.9% of the UK's needs over the past year, with Coal at 1.5%. (43.3% fossils)

If you look at the "All time" figures, then Gas was at 34.6% and Coal 15.8% (50.4% fossils)

Gas has replaced some of the Coal generation, but Renewables have taken up the rest and more.  All time Renewables generation was 20.1% but reached 35.1% over the past year.  Notably, Nuclear generation has also fallen from the long term average of 19.6% to 16.5%.

hmfc_liam06

£138 bill for Feb.

My usage is fairly consistent month to month so it was interesting to see electricity drop £12, which is mostly due to buying an air fryer and using that over an oven.

Jambo-Jimbo

£152 bill for February.

Have also noticed a big difference since we got an air fryer as well, that and a slow cooker which we use to batch cook a lot of things, means that the electric oven is rarely on these days, which is good as it used to just eat the energy.

Unknown user

I learned something yesterday about energy prices.

Wind power, hydro, nuclear, gas, no matter what the source or cost of production is, the equivalent price per unit is the same.

As I understand it, this is a government mandated thing, designed to give more expensive sources an equal footing. Basically, whichever source is the most expensive sets the price for them all.

But what it's done recently is force the prices of non gas energy up by the same amount, without their production costs increasing.

We can now expect massive profits from non gas energy production companies, enforced by the government, at our cost.

Climate change, is it true? Apart from your gaff tipping into the firth, next best thing to get your ear is emptying your wallet...🙁

hmfc_liam06
46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

£152 bill for February.

Have also noticed a big difference since we got an air fryer as well, that and a slow cooker which we use to batch cook a lot of things, means that the electric oven is rarely on these days, which is good as it used to just eat the energy.

Our oven has been on once, to cook a roast chicken. Air fryer isn't big enough to do an XL chicken.

Fxxx the SPFL
21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Our oven has been on once, to cook a roast chicken. Air fryer isn't big enough to do an XL chicken.

Is the chicken just for you:whistling: 

Fxxx the SPFL
On 23/02/2023 at 19:29, joondalupjambo said:

This is where an old codger like me comes along and says.......

I grew up in a house with only a two bar electric fire in the lounge and a single bar wall one in the bathroom.  No heating anywhere else and we lived through that from birth until we left home.  Ice on windows on the inside to boot.  Mum was a single parent bringing in a small wage with no added benefits. And that was through the 60's when winters were winters not like the tropical ones we are having now.

Not sure of the relevance but nice to reminisce 😄

We were even worse no electric fire no heating one bedroom tenement flat in wheatfield place parents slept in living room me and my two younger brothers in the large double bedroom oh the deprivation. Open fire used to burn folded up newspapers bits of wood and some coal. Younger generations don’t know how lucky they are now still had grand times though 

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We were even worse no electric fire no heating one bedroom tenement flat in wheatfield place parents slept in living room me and my two younger brothers in the large double bedroom oh the deprivation. Open fire used to burn folded up newspapers bits of wood and some coal. Younger generations don’t know how lucky they are now still had grand times though 

We had an outside loo.

Thinking back it wasn’t a bad thing using the Daily Mail to wipe my arse.