energy prices

Masonic

47 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough, it wasn't intended to be so harsh.

At the end of the day though, buildings have outside walls, it doesn't make sense to knock holes in them rather than using them for mounting.

That's OK mate.

My thoughts were along the lines of a turbine linked to some sort of generator.

Or elements that could......

I will stop digging

😄

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

postage-stamp

Fusion will soon change the way energy is produced.  Was recently a breakthrough in that just last year.

In the meantime, will prices come down??

51 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Take it you've never tried Scottish power customer services😳 it took me over a year of constant complaining to get money I was due...I was paying off the previous house owners debt unknowingly,even though they were notified when I moved in. Then once it was "sorted out" the sheriff's officers broke into my house and put a pre payment in,that was a nice surprise to come home to🤬🤬

Had a similar experience with that mob.

Switched suppliers in a place I lived must be 10 years ago.

Cleared their bill.

Long story short.

They got a debt collection agency onto me.

Took emails with bank statements to prove I paid it a multitude of phone calls.

That eventually resulted in them paying me a paltry 150 quid compo.

A horrible horrible company.

But one I may have to go back to as they seem to be the only ones who don't charge you twice for white meter power.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Had a similar experience with that mob.

Switched suppliers in a place I lived must be 10 years ago.

Cleared their bill.

Long story short.

They got a debt collection agency onto me.

Took emails with bank statements to prove I paid it a multitude of phone calls.

That eventually resulted in them paying me a paltry 150 quid compo.

A horrible horrible company.

But one I may have to go back to as they seem to be the only ones who don't charge you twice for white meter power.

If Carlsberg did scummy company's Scottish Power would be in the top league.

Many moons ago, back in the days of power cards I was certain I had a faulty meter as it kept swiping £5 off my balance whenever there was a power cut, which there were many due to a fault at my local sub-station.  In the end over the year I'd paid in £145 more than the meter had registered, try telling that to Scottish Power, long story short they accused me of fraud and threatened to get the police involved. They sent an engineer down to check the meter to prove I was lying. Engineer took one look at the meter and burst out laughing, turned out it was a faulty batch and somehow they had missed mine during the recall. Needless to say I didn’t miss the scumbags when I phoned them, next problem was getting my money back, they used every delaying tactic they could think of to not paying my own money back to me, took months before they refunded me. Never even apologised.

My laddie had a similar experience as another poster, when Scottish Power tried to charge him for the previous tenants usage, threatened him with debt collectors etc, he ended up having to get the CAB involved who eventually got it sorted out, again not even a word of apology from them.

Scumbag company.

34 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If Carlsberg did scummy company's Scottish Power would be in the top league.

Many moons ago, back in the days of power cards I was certain I had a faulty meter as it kept swiping £5 off my balance whenever there was a power cut, which there were many due to a fault at my local sub-station.  In the end over the year I'd paid in £145 more than the meter had registered, try telling that to Scottish Power, long story short they accused me of fraud and threatened to get the police involved. They sent an engineer down to check the meter to prove I was lying. Engineer took one look at the meter and burst out laughing, turned out it was a faulty batch and somehow they had missed mine during the recall. Needless to say I didn’t miss the scumbags when I phoned them, next problem was getting my money back, they used every delaying tactic they could think of to not paying my own money back to me, took months before they refunded me. Never even apologised.

My laddie had a similar experience as another poster, when Scottish Power tried to charge him for the previous tenants usage, threatened him with debt collectors etc, he ended up having to get the CAB involved who eventually got it sorted out, again not even a word of apology from them.

Scumbag company.

100% scum

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, postage-stamp said:

Fusion will soon change the way energy is produced.  Was recently a breakthrough in that just last year.

In the meantime, will prices come down??

Fusion's decades away, if at all. It's one thing demonstrating 'more energy out than in', quite another scaling it up to commercial viability. 'Modular' fission reactors may be a bit closer, if worldwide regulatory bodies can get their acts together. There's a lot of work (and investment) going on in the green hydrogen space, though based on current methane prices it won't be commercially viable until the middle of the century.

In the meantime it's solar, wind, pumped hydro, geothermal, biofuels and oceanic thermal.....

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

They're dreadful to deal with. However...

When I moved into my current place, in which the previous owner had worked for the leccy board, the metering was mental. At one point it just stopped working. SP didn't seem all that bothered by this and just kept sending me out very low bills (I guess the standing charge), possibly because it'd been empty for a year or so before we moved in, so nothing uncommon on the graphs. Think we ended up with about 18 months free-ish power.

:pleasing:

postage-stamp
18 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Fusion's decades away, if at all. It's one thing demonstrating 'more energy out than in', quite another scaling it up to commercial viability. 'Modular' fission reactors may be a bit closer, if worldwide regulatory bodies can get their acts together. There's a lot of work (and investment) going on in the green hydrogen space, though based on current methane prices it won't be commercially viable until the middle of the century.

In the meantime it's solar, wind, pumped hydro, geothermal, biofuels and oceanic thermal.....

Prediction was the 30s years ago so I'd be happy if was the 40s.  

Are people telling me, the companies that made pumping oil from the north sea doable, can't turn their skills to carbon capture, wave power, solar and wind power, in mass capacity. 

Anyone else suffering from the power companies wildly over-estimating their bills before the proper meter reading is submitted? 

Scottish Power, a pox be upon them, somehow calculated that we'd use £2k of electricity from 29th October - 5th January. Only £1400 out!

Arse = elbow. Both the same thing to these charlatans. 

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Anyone else suffering from the power companies wildly over-estimating their bills before the proper meter reading is submitted? 

Scottish Power, a pox be upon them, somehow calculated that we'd use £2k of electricity from 29th October - 5th January. Only £1400 out!

Don’t you submit monthly readings ? 

12 hours ago, Gizmo said:

As @Dazorecommends, submit a reading monthly.

Your estimate is pretty wild, just over two months, basically £1k per month. Ridiculous.

I was £415 for December (4 bed detatched)

The change to the business energy subsidy scheme will end many hundreds,  maybe thousands,  of businesses.  It will affect end user prices for many more.  

Extremely anti-economic growth.  It's slovenly economic nihilism.

45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The change to the business energy subsidy scheme will end many hundreds,  maybe thousands,  of businesses.  It will affect end user prices for many more.  

Extremely anti-economic growth.  It's slovenly economic nihilism.

A huge number of businesses are already in serious trouble.

A local shop owner was telling me that their electricty bill is just short of £1000 pm and that's no heating, only lighting and a few (5) fridges/display chillers, they have been told by their supplier their bill is likely to go up to at least £1400 pm come April.

I honestly fear that particular business won't be here this time next year, I suspect it won't be the only one here in the town.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A huge number of businesses are already in serious trouble.

A local shop owner was telling me that their electricty bill is just short of £1000 pm and that's no heating, only lighting and a few (5) fridges/display chillers, they have been told by their supplier their bill is likely to go up to at least £1400 pm come April.

I honestly fear that particular business won't be here this time next year, I suspect it won't be the only one here in the town.

It goes right across the range of businesses throughout the economy.  Businesses closing down,  businesses down scaling operations,  businesses much less able to invest.  Jobs lost.  Hours reduced.  Competition removed from marketplaces = increasing prices and eroding standards of service.  Corporation Tax,  V.A.T. and personal taxation all reduced.

Economic growth?  Ma hole.  We're heading towards a wasteland of the day to day real economy.

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It goes right across the range of businesses throughout the economy.  Businesses closing down,  businesses down scaling operations,  businesses much less able to invest.  Jobs lost.  Hours reduced.  Competition removed from marketplaces = increasing prices and eroding standards of service.  Corporation Tax,  V.A.T. and personal taxation all reduced.

Economic growth?  Ma hole.  We're heading towards a wasteland of the day to day real economy.

Few if any are going to be immune to all this, gonna hit everybody, as you say.

20 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Yep. I complained and they suspended my account until it was sorted. **** them. 

That thing you do
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Agreed. It will be much worse before it gets better. Recession/Depression on a global scale

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep. I complained and they suspended my account until it was sorted. **** them. 

£100 in my prepayment meter used to last a couple off months for electric. Now only get three weeks before it requires topped up. Dual fuel solid heating and electric cooker,telly's never on,🤬🤬. Tempted to give my sparkie mate a call at this rate🤬

8 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

£100 in my prepayment meter used to last a couple off months for electric. Now only get three weeks before it requires topped up. Dual fuel solid heating and electric cooker,telly's never on,🤬🤬. Tempted to give my sparkie mate a call at this rate🤬

Ridiculously expensive and can’t be sustained long term. Forgetting households for one second, how can smaller businesses realistically keep up with these enormous energy price hikes? We aren’t even finished with how high the costs will soar either. 

Personally I am working two jobs, wife is working full time and we are no better off than we were 5 years ago when I was the only earner in the household. They say hard work pays off…I am yet to see it. 

The above is meaning less time with my kids, less time with the wife and is putting a strain on both our mental healths. However we persist because ultimately what else does someone do to survive in these uncertain times?

I suppose survival and getting out the other end of this period of uncertainty unscathed financially could be deemed a success. 

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Ridiculously expensive and can’t be sustained long term. Forgetting households for one second, how can smaller businesses realistically keep up with these enormous energy price hikes? We aren’t even finished with how high the costs will soar either. 

Personally I am working two jobs, wife is working full time and we are no better off than we were 5 years ago when I was the only earner in the household. They say hard work pays off…I am yet to see it. 

The above is meaning less time with my kids, less time with the wife and is putting a strain on both our mental healths. However we persist because ultimately what else does someone do to survive in these uncertain times?

I suppose survival and getting out the other end of this period of uncertainty unscathed financially could be deemed a success. 

I must admit the Mrs had Xmas lights up,but no way they cost that much to run😳

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Top to bottom, nearly everyone uses electricity. It's an indirect tax to help shore up the financial incompetence of this and previous governments. Nae Costas holidays for millions this summer. Holiday costs and spenders are all staying in Blighty...

Captain Sausage
On 07/01/2023 at 17:08, ri Alban said:

Are people telling me, the companies that made pumping oil from the north sea doable, can't turn their skills to carbon capture, wave power, solar and wind power, in mass capacity. 

In fairness it’s exactly what they are all doing. 100s of GW of offshore wind, 10s of GW of solar and working with the U.K. government to drive U.K. as the front runner in carbon capture and storage in Merseyside and Teesside. 

£1.40.7, Morrisons in Aberdeen yesterday. Cheapest I've seen to date. Slowly getting down to 'very expensive!'

henrysmithsgloves

Really need to harness the tidal waters,free power there to be had. But no they keep putting up wind turbines and paying already mega rich landowners "rent" for them being there. Wind power is fine when there's enough to turn them,but the moon ain't going anywhere soon,so tides are predictable,but no political will there, alienating their cash donors 🤬

7 hours ago, OBE said:

Top to bottom, nearly everyone uses electricity. It's an indirect tax to help shore up the financial incompetence of this and previous governments. Nae Costas holidays for millions this summer. Holiday costs and spenders are all staying in Blighty...

That's exactly what it is - we get shafted with massive prices and the tax man takes a 'windfall' tax from the companies. The companies are little more than a middle man for our money being taken by the Gov. If they increased Income Tax by £200 a month for the average worker there would in all likelihood be people in the streets protesting. The high energy prices are a roundabout way of achieving the same outcome. 

6 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

That's exactly what it is - we get shafted with massive prices and the tax man takes a 'windfall' tax from the companies. The companies are little more than a middle man for our money being taken by the Gov. If they increased Income Tax by £200 a month for the average worker there would in all likelihood be people in the streets protesting. The high energy prices are a roundabout way of achieving the same outcome. 

I concur!

I'd love to hear some one with real clout, stick that theory in PM's questions. It may have been highlighted already, but missed it...worth another airing though...It's a shame politicians can't survive on truths alone...:sad:

Boy next door is working on roof solar panels. 

Might enquire on cost, my roof is south facing perfect to collect phree electricity. 

Shooter McGavin
10 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

£1.40.7, Morrisons in Aberdeen yesterday. Cheapest I've seen to date. Slowly getting down to 'very expensive!'

I’m slightly worried that people will see petrol at the £1.40 mark and think “Ah that’s better!”, still got about 15p at least to go before it’s reasonable!

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’m slightly worried that people will see petrol at the £1.40 mark and think “Ah that’s better!”, still got about 15p at least to go before it’s reasonable!

I am one of those people. Had to give my head a wobble. 

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yes, and that goes for so many other everyday items that have skyrocketed, that likely won't ever drop back down to pre-CoLC times.

46 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Yes, and that goes for so many other everyday items that have skyrocketed, that likely won't ever drop back down to pre-CoLC times.

Nor will all the things which have reduced in size, such as a 5 pk to a 4 pk or 600g to 500g etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nor will all the things which have reduced in size, such as a 5 pk to a 4 pk or 600g to 500g etc etc.

To be fair they have been doing that sort of thing for years to pretend they don’t raise prices. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mhhhm, getting shafted everyway possible. :muggy:

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

To be fair they have been doing that sort of thing for years to pretend they don’t raise prices. 🙄

Yes, however it used to be one or two things every few years, now it seems to be just about everytime you do a food shop several of the packages are smaller or have fewer in it, but the price has stayed the same.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, however it used to be one or two things every few years, now it seems to be just about everytime you do a food shop several of the packages are smaller or have fewer in it, but the price has stayed the same.

Looking at the nick of the majority of our population, I'm going to suggest the smaller pack sizes are no barrier to most Scots hitting obesity. 

henrysmithsgloves

My brother got his electric bill in for last month £650😲 . Electric storage heaters,and his house is never warm when there on. Seemingly Scottish power control them by using a local weather station. I think it's in the artic🤣.

7 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

My brother got his electric bill in for last month £650😲 . Electric storage heaters,and his house is never warm when there on. Seemingly Scottish power control them by using a local weather station. I think it's in the artic🤣.

FFS, that's criminal. I'd be ripping them out and getting a calor gas heater, If they still exist. That's not sustainable for any family.

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, tightrope said:

FFS, that's criminal. I'd be ripping them out and getting a calor gas heater, If they still exist. That's not sustainable for any family.

Been at him for ages to get a log burner installed. Plenty in his street have went down that route 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

£613.51 this month for gas and electric, thank god for the government's life saving £67 payment.

:sarcasm:

Screenshot_20230116-165305.png

Hell of a lot of gas there, Graygo.

I was £260 last month.

Conventional boiler, gas hob. 4 bed detached.

Supplier: Octopus 

Screenshot_20230116_181553_Office.jpg

Edited by Tommy Brown

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hell of a lot of gas there, Graygo.

I was £260 last month.

Conventional boiler, gas hob. 4 bed detached.

Supplier: Octopus 

Screenshot_20230116_181553_Office.jpg

It is, maybe not the most efficient boiler in the world. Roll on the summer.

600,000 households were forcibly moved to pre-pay meters last year.

3.2 million households with pre-pay meters ran out of credit at some point last year.

2 million of those households run out of credit more than once a month.

Millions of people across the nation left with no gas or leccy for days on end, every month.

Rule feckin Brittania.

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

600,000 households were forcibly moved to pre-pay meters last year.

3.2 million households with pre-pay meters ran out of credit at some point last year.

2 million of those households run out of credit more than once a month.

Millions of people across the nation left with no gas or leccy for days on end, every month.

Rule feckin Brittania.

We won't cut your power off!*

*But we will force you onto a prepaid meter, where your power will go off when you run out of money.

And we'll charge you more for the privilege.

5 hours ago, graygo said:

It is, maybe not the most efficient boiler in the world. Roll on the summer.

I'm the same, original boiler, 21 years old.

Nucky Thompson

One of my mates kept bumping his bills.

Got taken to court and was forced to get a pre-paid meter.

It's now costing him a fortune in energy bills, so he has had to cut down on his dope smoking and bevvy 

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

One of my mates kept bumping his bills.

Got taken to court and was forced to get a pre-paid meter.

It's now costing him a fortune in energy bills, so he has had to cut down on his dope smoking and bevvy 

Every cloud...:brows:

I used to have to fill up our heating oil tank every 6 weeks or so during the winter months, Nov to March inclusive, and less so the rest of the year, quite a bit less so in the summer Jun to Aug. Sometimes I forgot to fill it up and the heat would go off. We'd call up for more and I'd bleed it and the heat would go back on.

:fonzie:

They must have got some profits this week, heating on in most homes, well the lucky sods 

that can afford it.

some folk deciding between food or heat, shocking state we are in.