energy prices

Masonic

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

They weren't collecting debt, they were changing the meter.

Like I said I’m surprised at that . Didn’t think anyone could enter a persons property , unless the polis with a search warrant 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Like I said I’m surprised at that . Didn’t think anyone could enter a persons property , unless the polis with a search warrant 

Live and learn eh?

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don’t want a smart meter but used to get pestered all the time to have one installed.

They gave up eventually.

Curious, why would you not want a smart meter?

To me they are a very useful tool. Am i being niaive?

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Ironically you’ll wait ****ing ages just now if you actually wanted one fitted. 

Yeah, originally it was a scam to get government grants.

21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I really like mine, real time feedback can be a right eye opener and really help with prioritising energy use.

Mine's prepay, the only problem I have is that I'm charged more for NOT having credit with them and, in fact, letting them have my money before they've provided the energy.

The other thing is that this We Won't Cut You Off line is only technically true.

They'll force a prepay meter on you, and if you don't have money the day it runs out, your supply will go off.

Technically, they haven't cut you off, but that's little consolation as you sit in the dark wearing all your clothes.

42 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I’ve wondered about that also. Put it down to some weird big brother watching you fascination. Don’t really see a downside personally. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Tynecastle_Park said:

It really was a dark time for me (no pun intended).

Freezing cold showers in the morning, with literally nothing else. No TV, no phone, no cooking appliances, no light in the evening. 

Thankfully those days are behind me, but those prepayment metres are horrific and shouldn't be allowed.

It's one of the reasons I really find it hard not to respond to people who regularly blame the poor, mentally ill and disabled for the horrible situation many find themselves in. 

Sadly there’s only a few who lack empathy.

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Now that there’s only the Mrs and I and financially not bad we don’t see the need for one.

Also we’ve scrimped financially most of our lives.

This is the time for us not to worry about bills if possible.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Was on holiday last week so usage went right down. Saved about a tenner a day.

People have done the maths and in the middle of winter it's cheaper to go live in an Air BnB on the continent than to heat your own house.

That's where we're at in Britain in 2023.

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

This was posted on here a few months back, about the shite hawks that Scottish Power were employing to break into people's homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59733043

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

People have done the maths and in the middle of winter it's cheaper to go live in an Air BnB on the continent than to heat your own house.

What an indictment for the 5th wealthiest country on the planet. 

31 minutes ago, Cade said:

You’ve made that up haven’t you. 😂

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You’ve made that up haven’t you. 😂

Like most other things he posts.

Retired people have spent the Winter in Spain for many years and it's feck all to do with not affording their heating bills

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This was posted on here a few months back, about the shite hawks that Scottish Power were employing to break into people's homes.

I think we've got a little misreporting there, although the article's talking about debt collectors, the guy himself said they were looking for gas meters.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Retired people have spent the Winter in Spain for many years and it's feck all to do with not affording their heating bills

l2JhrYYxAD6N5gble.gif

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What an indictment for the 5th wealthiest country on the planet. 

Correction - 5 th largest economy.

the cash isn’t spread equally,

though to be honest 53 % of adults take more in benefits than they pay in so something is going horribly wrong at both ends ,

whilst those in the middle are, well, taking it in both ends

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They're bending the law. You can enter anyone's property if there's a gas leak.

12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

though to be honest 53 % of adults take more in benefits than they pay in so something is going horribly wrong at both ends ,

Interesting, so the poor are doing ok, but those a bit wealthier aren't? How does that work?

Just now, Smithee said:

Interesting, so the poor are doing ok, but those a bit wealthier aren't? How does that work?

You go to DJ for earache and leave as  mental patient. A moaning faced git. Probably hates all his clients. 

(This is all make believe, just like his Doctor credentials)

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They're bending the law. You can enter anyone's property if there's a gas leak.

Yes my hoose got tanned in a few years back as they thought there was a leak coming from mine . I was in Lanzarote at the time . Came back to boarded up door etc . I was fuming 😡 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Something similar happened to me about 2 years ago. Came home from work and there was a big sticker across the door advising the lock had been changed by ScotPower and a pay meter installed. I had to contact a leasing company to get keys - took them 3 hours to get me the keys.

Turned out it was in relation to an old bill from previous occupier... who lived there about 9 years ago.

I got offered no compensation or even an apology and I'm still stuck with a pay meter that SP won't change back.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not what I said, was it?

the poor are not doing ok, well, most of them aren’t anyway.

Those a bit wealthier are also not doing ok.

As to how it works I don’t know …. All I can say is that the tax rates are the highest in 70 years , and rising , so that’s not the issue, and state support appears to be higher than ever so something has gone seriously sideways .

If people want/ need more benefits , it has to come from somewhere/ someone.

And with all respect it appears that those feeding in the cash are being squeezed like never before in peacetime . 
But I’m sure you will misinterpret that too

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think we've got a little misreporting there, although the article's talking about debt collectors, the guy himself said they were looking for gas meters.

Read the article and had seen the original report on TV. I cannot see what you are on about gas meters. 

No misreporting there.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Read the article and had seen the original report on TV. I cannot see what you are on about gas meters. 

No misreporting there.

"I got down there and walked into the flat and couldn't see anything," he said. "It was like nobody had been there, it was absolutely nothing there at all. If it hadn't been for the video footage, nobody would have known anyone had been in this flat.

"Yet two men were in this flat for 27 minutes, nobody can explain to me what they were doing in a two-bedroom flat for 27 minutes. They were supposed to be looking for gas meters - a gas meter that happens to be in the basement."

Tynecastle_Park
57 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Don't misrepresent the figures, the biggest "benefits" is actually the state pension which drives down the % MASSIVELY. 

Edit - just checked and over 55% of benefits is paid in relation to state pension.

So you are completely misrepresenting the figures to provide a narrative of "benefit scroungers".

Maybe if companies actually paid a proper living wage less would need housing benefit etc.

Edited by Tynecastle_Park

11 minutes ago, Tynecastle_Park said:

Don't misrepresent the figures, the biggest "benefits" is actually the state pension which drives down the % MASSIVELY. 

Edit - just checked and over 55% of benefits is paid in relation to state pension.

So you are completely misrepresenting the figures to provide a narrative of "benefit scroungers".

Maybe if companies actually paid a proper living wage less would need housing benefit etc.

I never said benefit scroungers….

it’s not my narrative.

pensions are meagre, and should be higher, yet it’s obvious that the country cannot afford to do so.

Nor can it afford to put benefits up- borrowing is enormous already .

Nor can taxes go up anymore.

They are enormous.

And I agree re wages - if you cannot pay someone enough to stay alive, you are not a viable business.

Tynecastle_Park
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I never said benefit scroungers….

it’s not my narrative.

pensions are meagre, and should be higher, yet it’s obvious that the country cannot afford to do so.

Nor can it afford to put benefits up- borrowing is enormous already .

Nor can taxes go up anymore.

They are enormous.

And I agree re wages - if you cannot pay someone enough to stay alive, you are not a viable business.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick mate. I thought you were claiming that there was a load of people of benefits not doing anything.

It's a sensitive subject and one I'm probably to quick to jump on.

My apologies.

55 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes my hoose got tanned in a few years back as they thought there was a leak coming from mine . I was in Lanzarote at the time . Came back to boarded up door etc . I was fuming 😡 

:D

Hoose got tanned when you were getting tanned, suspect fumes coming from your gaff sent you fuming...

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No wonder. I hope you claimed them.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No wonder. I hope you claimed them.

It was more the feeling that strangers were in my house . It felt awful . Even worse leak , wasn’t even from my house . Yes I got some compo . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

It was more the feeling that strangers were in my house . It felt awful . Even worse leak , wasn’t even from my house . Yes I got some compo . 

👍 Good.

Yeah, fecking horrendous thinking about people rummaging around your home.

Just now, ri Alban said:

👍 Good.

Yeah, fecking horrendous thinking about people rummaging around your home.

Just happy they didn’t find the rotten corpses under the  floor boards ! 😎😂

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Just happy they didn’t find the rotten corpses under the  floor boards ! 😎😂

Well wrapped. 👍

Just now, ri Alban said:

Well wrapped. 👍

Aye . No but on serious note it did feel awful thinking of them in my house . I was really angry . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye . No but on serious note it did feel awful thinking of them in my house . I was really angry . 

A bunch of *****, bud.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Does it really matter if it were a gas meter or an electric meter, the point was that Scottish Power got debt collectors who then forced entry into someone's house.....someone whom it turned out had never ever been a customer of Scottish Power in the first place, and this isn't an isolated case either, there has been several similar cases where debt collectors acting on behalf of Scottish Power & others who have forced entry into the wrong house.  The original report on Reporting Scotland was more concerned about the fact that debt collectors were forcing their way into people's houses to change meters over to prepayment meters.

British Gas were yesterday exposed for similar practices, this whole practice of forced entry by debt collectors only should be outlawed and only ever allowed if there is no other choice but must have the Police present.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

"I got down there and walked into the flat and couldn't see anything," he said. "It was like nobody had been there, it was absolutely nothing there at all. If it hadn't been for the video footage, nobody would have known anyone had been in this flat.

"Yet two men were in this flat for 27 minutes, nobody can explain to me what they were doing in a two-bedroom flat for 27 minutes. They were supposed to be looking for gas meters - a gas meter that happens to be in the basement."

Cheers Smithee, I need to skim reading.

But why is that making you think iits misreporting? They were working on behalf of Scottish Power who have apologised and offered compensation.

Scottish Power do have Gas customers.

Except this girl wasn't one.

Doorbell video footage shows two uniformed men tampering with locks before going into the flat and identifying themselves as Scottish Power representatives.

The energy firm has admitted the error, apologised and offered compensation.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Something similar happened to me about 2 years ago. Came home from work and there was a big sticker across the door advising the lock had been changed by ScotPower and a pay meter installed. I had to contact a leasing company to get keys - took them 3 hours to get me the keys.

Turned out it was in relation to an old bill from previous occupier... who lived there about 9 years ago.

I got offered no compensation or even an apology and I'm still stuck with a pay meter that SP won't change back.

That's shocking, although with it being Scottish Power it isn't all that surprising.

My laddie had a hell of a time with SP and a previous tenent, they (Scottish Power) just wouldn't believe that he was a new tenent, despite him being able to prove that he didn't live there at the time SP said, in the end he had to get CAB to help sort it out.  SP accused me of fraud and threatened me with the police, I should have sued the arse of the barstewards when it turned out I had a faulty meter and was telling the truth all along.  Like you neither my laddie or myself got as much as an apology let alone compo from them.

If Carlsberg did scumbag companies Scottish Power would be right at the top.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Cheers Smithee, I need to skim reading.

But why is that making you think iits misreporting? They were working on behalf of Scottish Power who have apologised and offered compensation.

Scottish Power do have Gas customers.

Except this girl wasn't one.

Doorbell video footage shows two uniformed men tampering with locks before going into the flat and identifying themselves as Scottish Power representatives.

The energy firm has admitted the error, apologised and offered compensation.

I'm just saying that the headline and article appears to be taking about debt collectors, but these ones weren't, according to the guy who was involved.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm just saying that the headline and article appears to be taking about debt collectors, but these ones weren't, according to the guy who was involved.

👍

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A month in the sun for the cost of my last bill ? Sounds legit. 😂

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

A month in the sun for the cost of my last bill ? Sounds legit. 😂

And come to burst pipes after turning the heating off.