energy prices

Masonic

Horatio Caine
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My switch from Bulb to Octopus went through the other day, on my new dashboard Octopus have extimated my usage over the next year, which imo is way out, for example they think I'll use more this month (March) than I did in December and next month (April) I'll use more than I did in February, they also recommend that my monthly DD be increased by almost double to what it is the now, I'm £467 in credit so they can feck off with that idea. :laugh:

Like you, my transfer from Bulb to Octopus happened towards the end of February.  From day 1 my smart meter readings pretty much doubled.  I've been in correspondence with them and they say their tarrif is the same as Bulb's was - and my energy usage isn't any different now, so what's going on?  I'll await my statement with interest and trepidation.  I've been in credit too right throughout the winter but nowhere near as much as you were.  Have you disputed their calculations?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My switch from Bulb to Octopus went through the other day, on my new dashboard Octopus have extimated my usage over the next year, which imo is way out, for example they think I'll use more this month (March) than I did in December and next month (April) I'll use more than I did in February, they also recommend that my monthly DD be increased by almost double to what it is the now, I'm £467 in credit so they can feck off with that idea. :laugh:

I’ve been with them for a couple years now and they’re by far the best supplier I’ve ever had. 

7 hours ago, postage-stamp said:

Prices likely to return to normal or near normal?

It will be a new normal, higher than it should be but after paying the prices we have the last year we will all be delighted. 🙄

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It will be a new normal, higher than it should be but after paying the prices we have the last year we will all be delighted. 🙄

Same is happening with petrol, people think 140p per litre is cheap these days…

Rocket and feather economics is a b******.

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Same is happening with petrol, people think 140p per litre is cheap these days…

Rocket and feather economics is a b******.

Yep only yesterday the mrs was moaning that £100 didn’t fill her car up, I reminded her of nearly £2 a litre for diesel and thought the £1.66 was okay. 🙄

Jambo-Jimbo
17 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Like you, my transfer from Bulb to Octopus happened towards the end of February.  From day 1 my smart meter readings pretty much doubled.  I've been in correspondence with them and they say their tarrif is the same as Bulb's was - and my energy usage isn't any different now, so what's going on?  I'll await my statement with interest and trepidation.  I've been in credit too right throughout the winter but nowhere near as much as you were.  Have you disputed their calculations?

Yesterday I got a bill for 4 days from them (3rd to 7th March), strange.

I expect teething problems, so I'm just keeping an eye on things.

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’ve been with them for a couple years now and they’re by far the best supplier I’ve ever had. 

Yeh, I've heard good things about Octopus as well, that's why I'm not going to do anything, I'll just keep an eye on things until my account settles down.

willie wallace

Just reading that Saudi Arabia's 95% state owned Aramco oil and gas company made $161 billion  profit last year.

That is more than than Shell,BP,Exxon and Chevron combined.

Can expect some big Newcastle signings soon.

hmfc_liam06
41 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Just reading that Saudi Arabia's 95% state owned Aramco oil and gas company made $161 billion  profit last year.

That is more than than Shell,BP,Exxon and Chevron combined.

Can expect some big Newcastle signings soon.

To put that into perspective.

Someone on the median wage in the UK would have to work 4,878,788 years, without spending a penny, to earn that.

Malinga the Swinga
55 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

To put that into perspective.

Someone on the median wage in the UK would have to work 4,878,788 years, without spending a penny, to earn that.

Bugger, was hoping to retire in next couple of years. Now in just need to carry on another 4.8 million years before I can get target pension pot.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

hmfc_liam06
39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Bugger, was hoping to retire in next couple of years. Now in just need to carry on another 4.8 million years before I can get target pension pot.

I'm just 4,878,786 years away tbh.

It's not until you highlight it like that you realise the wealth we're talking here though. It's staggering.

Japan Jambo
On 17/12/2022 at 16:02, ri Alban said:

I would when I was younger. Now I'd just walk in wearing a fancy vest, given the chance.

I'm getting a Citizen Smith crossed with Rab C Nesbitt vibe... close? 😁

Jambo-Jimbo

As has been widely expected the government are to continue the current £2500* energy price cap until June, meaning that there should be no tariff increases come April.   Then come June tariff's should/might fall, for a few months at least, hopefully longer.

*For the average household*

Wee flat, two storage heaters, no other heating.  Don’t use the immersion just electric shower (no more than 5 mins)

Without the price discount it would be £470/ month.

Off-peak it’s over 50p per kW/hr.  4 years ago it was less than 10p.

If it was a family house with 4 or 5 heaters & using the (off-peak) immersion heater you’d be over £1000 / month.

• 2 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

I am at a crossroads here, where a new boiler is required, Start looking into it and then get fed up.

Pasted from the Daily Mail (eek)

Gas bills could rise by around £100 a year under the government's new 'green' drive.

Ministers are looking to 'rebalance' levies on the types of energy, encouraging people to use electricity instead.

The move, unveiled as part of a wider Net Zero push, is intended to accelerate the switch to cleaner power. While gas produces greenhouse gases, electricity can be generated from renewable sources such as wind and solar. 

Currently households fund the shift to green energy through state levies on electricity, making it more expensive than gas. 

Along with subsidies insulation and the vulnerable, those charges are worth £131 on typical annual electricity bill. 

By contrast the levies on a typical gas bill are just £34. Ministers are concerned the difference will turn people off from replacing their gas boilers with alternatives such as electric heat pumps. 

The proposed rebalancing could see gas bills rise by up to £100 a year, according to the Telegraph. They are set to go for consultation, and there is no timetable for implementing them yet. 

Among the other key measures in the Powering Up Britain plan today:

• Ministers want to speed up planning approvals for solar and offshore wind, with people getting hundreds of pounds off bills if they live near a turbine;
  • £380million to be invested in more charging points and better infrastructure for EVs;
  • Mr Shapps has recommitted to the 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel cars; 
  • A competition to select the best Small Modular Reactor technologies will be launched by autumn;
  • Locations of the first Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage projects have been announced. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I am at a crossroads here, where a new boiler is required, Start looking into it and then get fed up.

Pasted from the Daily Mail (eek)

Gas bills could rise by around £100 a year under the government's new 'green' drive.

Ministers are looking to 'rebalance' levies on the types of energy, encouraging people to use electricity instead.

The move, unveiled as part of a wider Net Zero push, is intended to accelerate the switch to cleaner power. While gas produces greenhouse gases, electricity can be generated from renewable sources such as wind and solar. 

Currently households fund the shift to green energy through state levies on electricity, making it more expensive than gas. 

Along with subsidies insulation and the vulnerable, those charges are worth £131 on typical annual electricity bill. 

By contrast the levies on a typical gas bill are just £34. Ministers are concerned the difference will turn people off from replacing their gas boilers with alternatives such as electric heat pumps. 

The proposed rebalancing could see gas bills rise by up to £100 a year, according to the Telegraph. They are set to go for consultation, and there is no timetable for implementing them yet. 

Among the other key measures in the Powering Up Britain plan today:

• Ministers want to speed up planning approvals for solar and offshore wind, with people getting hundreds of pounds off bills if they live near a turbine;
  • £380million to be invested in more charging points and better infrastructure for EVs;
  • Mr Shapps has recommitted to the 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel cars; 
  • A competition to select the best Small Modular Reactor technologies will be launched by autumn;
  • Locations of the first Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage projects have been announced. 

Won't it just be a switch around of the green levy from electric to gas, meaning your gas will go up by £100 but your electricity will fall by £100 as that green levy has now been put on gas instead.  

That's my reading of the plan............then again it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't cut the green levy on electricity, thus it would be a wee cheeky £100 bill increase for everybody.

• 1 month later...
Shooter McGavin

I’m glad all this extra money they’re making is being invested wisely.

Should feel the benefits any day now 🤞🏻

14 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’m glad all this extra money they’re making is being invested wisely.

Should feel the benefits any day now 🤞🏻

🤣

Tommy Brown
On 09/03/2023 at 10:06, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yesterday I got a bill for 4 days from them (3rd to 7th March), strange.

I expect teething problems, so I'm just keeping an eye on things.

Yeh, I've heard good things about Octopus as well, that's why I'm not going to do anything, I'll just keep an eye on things until my account settles down.

I try my best to submit readings on the 1st. They would send you your bill to those readings, then send another a few days later. As if they don't trust me.

Thumbs up from me for Octopus.

Big thing was the gov discount of £400/6 per month. A big figure to find again.

The Mighty Thor
49 minutes ago, Cade said:

Shell posts quarterly profits of $9.65billion

:munny: :seething:

Only 1.4 billion ahead of forecast, 'although energy prices have eased' 

Have they? Aye? 

I'm still getting absolutely rammed for gas and electricity so feck knows where they've 'eased'

Wael Sawan, heid yin at Shell claims they have performed well throughout the ongoing volatility...🤣🤣🤣🤣Screenshot_20230504-110744.thumb.png.2f28440f1e807d2d20c5a58345587ffa.png

9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20230504_230829.jpg

We need to find out who performed the French publics bawz transplant...we are so ***kin meek!

ArcticJambo

Unleaded ...

£1.37.9 in Montrose

£1.38.9 in Arbroath

Never seen anything below 140 in Edinburgh! :vangry:

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Unleaded ...

£1.37.9 in Montrose

£1.38.9 in Arbroath

£1.37.9 in East Kilbride as well.

Edited by ...a bit disco

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, ...a bit disco said:

Seems many places but here! Grinds my gears.

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Seems many places but here! Grinds my gears.

Used to laugh at family in Livingston as they paid more than us.

Now, not so much.

skinnybob72
14 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Unleaded ...

£1.37.9 in Montrose

£1.38.9 in Arbroath

Shell garage at crossroads on A7 at Gorebridge has been 147.9 for months - literally has not changed at all. 

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Clivehunter81 said:

The bills will be starting to fall I hope...

They should because of the milder weather not because the energy companies are doing us any favours.

ArcticJambo
7 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Shell garage at crossroads on A7 at Gorebridge has been 147.9 for months - literally has not changed at all. 

Dicks!  Some of the Shell garages outside the city are often the cheapest, Galashiels and the one on the Kinross to Kincardine Bridge spring to mind.

Nucky Thompson

According to the RAC, the wholesale cost of diesel has been 6p a litre cheaper than petrol for the last 2 weeks.

Diesel drivers being robbed blind at the pumps, there's no justification expect pure greed

SwindonJambo
On 09/05/2023 at 19:41, ...a bit disco said:

Asda in Blantyre always relatively very cheap. I was up there last month.

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

According to the RAC, the wholesale cost of diesel has been 6p a litre cheaper than petrol for the last 2 weeks.

Diesel drivers being robbed blind at the pumps, there's no justification expect pure greed

Trying to force diesel drivers off the road I suspect. Ironically, after years of telling us they are better than petrol and giving free or very cheap road tax as an incentive to buy

after puting it off for 7 years they are wanting to put "smart" meters in the gaffe under the guise of safety

5 minutes ago, Masonic said:

after puting it off for 7 years they are wanting to put "smart" meters in the gaffe under the guise of safety

Its a conspiracy

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, Masonic said:

Why did you put it off?

hughesie27
1 minute ago, Masonic said:

What sort of illicit reaso  would thr Government have for wanting to see how much Gas/Electricity you are using. Something which they'd presumably be able to do anyway regardless of the Smart Meter. Or is it just the principle?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Masonic said:

Tell them to ram it.

Never considered one.