Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Was listening to a woman with a disabled daughter in the radio yesterday. The daughter's 16, she needs machines to feed her, to help her breathe, to keep her airways clear, for the stairlift, to charge the electric wheelchair.

And that's before you get to any household stuff.

The poor mother's been in touch with the leccy company, and all they've said is if you can't pay, you're going on pre pay meter.

Now here's the rub - all the "We won't cut off any vulnerable people's supply" promises mean nothing.

If you don't have the money, you won't be able to feed your prepay meter, and the power WILL go off.

Those companies might not technically have cut off the supply, but what difference does it make as you freeze?

There should be something in place for these extreme cases, and the fact the leccy companies aren't doing it voluntarily tells me everything I need to know.

The Tories are doing a cull. It’s what they love, killing poor and vulnerable people. Austerity…

joondalupjambo

The problem is exasperated by all the people who can afford the higher costs paying them.  Unfortunately there are far more it seems of that group than ones in real need.  Not sure what that reflects?  A rich nation, a lot of folk with more cash than they need, more folk with lots of disposable income, better off family members helping their close ones ???? 

The ones in real need are usually folk who have always been in real need so the difference to that group is marginal.  They are stuffed continually.

The ones with special needs or are special cases will have ways to get additional help I hope albeit there may be issues with some cases. Charities, benefactors, energy company special funds, gifts etc.

This is a mess no two ways about it.  Do you think any political party will get us out of this?  Unless there is clear political consensus amongst the main parties I fear we will be in this mess for a long time, longer than we are being told.

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

Was listening to a woman with a disabled daughter in the radio yesterday. The daughter's 16, she needs machines to feed her, to help her breathe, to keep her airways clear, for the stairlift, to charge the electric wheelchair.

And that's before you get to any household stuff.

The poor mother's been in touch with the leccy company, and all they've said is if you can't pay, you're going on pre pay meter.

Now here's the rub - all the "We won't cut off any vulnerable people's supply" promises mean nothing.

If you don't have the money, you won't be able to feed your prepay meter, and the power WILL go off.

Those companies might not technically have cut off the supply, but what difference does it make as you freeze?

There should be something in place for these extreme cases, and the fact the leccy companies aren't doing it voluntarily tells me everything I need to know.

That should be a special case in anyones eyes, that is disgusting and cruel to the family, the local

council should be getting involved surely. As for the MP for the area, has to be involved.

Futures energy prices is it? Look where it is today. Barstewards will be coining it in on our misery!!!

BE353F56-F432-4C58-B79E-11C9991D05DE.jpeg

Dennis Reynolds

Apparently we need to subside the energy companies buying too much energy at a too high price whilst they make record profits.

:sniff:

Jambof3tornado

£298 for December.

Same units of gas as December last year and 30% LESS electric used(juniors moved out!).

Last December bill was £120!

Bloody outrageous.

2 of us working full time,no kids at home now,how the feck are people managing?!?

Jeffros Furios

December bill £380 ... £300 gas rest leccy .. feckin disaster  :o

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Can you not tap into the building site over the back wall?

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Can you not tap into the building site over the back wall?

That's already used for growing the herbal remedies in the hut :jj:

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I feel better already!!!

My nhs pay rise due last april camt come quick enough.

25 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

£298 for December.

Same units of gas as December last year and 30% LESS electric used(juniors moved out!).

Last December bill was £120!

Bloody outrageous.

2 of us working full time,no kids at home now,how the feck are people managing?!?

December '20 = £98

December '21 = £104

December '22 = £204

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

December '20 = £98

December '21 = £104

December '22 = £204

Crazy times.

Wonder how those on lower incomes but not low enough for help are managing? 

il Duce McTarkin
19 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Just checked with the doris. Ours was 365 for December.

Mental.

Jeffros Furios
6 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Just checked with the doris. Ours was 365 for December.

Mental.

The old dear needs the heating on so not a lot I can do . Did I tell you I had a pheasant in the garden ? 

I went out to sat hullo but he done a runner into the Rhododendron.. 

He was there for hours giving me strange looks , dinnae ken what he was up to .

9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Crazy times.

Wonder how those on lower incomes but not low enough for help are managing? 

Like us you mean. 

Only one wage coming in and even that's not full time and don't qualify for any benefits of any discription.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Like us you mean. 

Only one wage coming in and even that's not full time and don't qualify for any benefits of any discription.

Not good. Dont know your situation but I know what its like to struggle with little spare income. Fortunately for us we're better placed now to get through whatever this crisis is!

4 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Apparently we need to subside the energy companies buying too much energy at a too high price whilst they make record profits.

:sniff:

They could just not let Ofgem raise the ****ing rates, they are the bloody government after all. None of the energy generators will fail, and if they did then nationalise them as non-profits. 

*******s. 

On 31/12/2022 at 08:41, rudi must stay said:

£2000 for a wind farm 

I was thinking about that mate.

Not a windfarm but like an extractor fan but reversed .

Cored holes in flats houses that wind could generate power.

Obviously I'm outlining it roughly but is this possible on smaller scales.

2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

That's already used for growing the herbal remedies in the hut :jj:

Must be a cost hike though for that.

I know my puffs went up lately by 20 an ounce.

Just took it for granted that was the reason.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

They could just not let Ofgem raise the ****ing rates, they are the bloody government after all. None of the energy generators will fail, and if they did then nationalise them as non-profits. 

*******s. 

Exactly, ofgem have only existed for a few years, it's not like they're a centuries old word of God.

They're not doing what they're meant to do, get them TF.

5 hours ago, Ked said:

That’s definitely what you need. Muckle holes blowing nice cold wind into your home. 

10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That’s definitely what you need. Muckle holes blowing nice cold wind into your home. 

Obviously they'd be a bit more technical.

Just a thought.

10 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not good. Dont know your situation but I know what its like to struggle with little spare income. Fortunately for us we're better placed now to get through whatever this crisis is!

Like most other people we had enough spare cash to live comfortably each month, however recently like most people we've seen the amount of spare cash dwindle with each passing month, it seems. 

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Exactly, ofgem have only existed for a few years, it's not like they're a centuries old word of God.

They're not doing what they're meant to do, get them TF.

No doubts about that, OFGEM are not doing what they were meant to do when they were first set up.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Ked said:

Why not just put them outside instead of ****ing holes in your walls? Saves a whole load of expense, plus it avoids the whole turning your house into a wind tunnel thing :smart:

17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

They’ve been a ****ing disgrace to put mildly and have failed massively. That’s a bit problematic as the they are there to protect us. They were meant to ensure competition they’ve enabled a ducking problem. 

They’ve overseen something like 30 failed energy companies in the last couple of years. Due to the be provider have last resort etc that cost us bill payers and extra costs (think in excess £100) and that’s doesn’t include the biggest bulb who bailout will probably be bigger that the others. 

They clearly failed in stress testing and setting parameters to enter market. They have done nothing to ensure resilience in the market. Whilst this issue has been apparent for a long time, they did nothing to protect the consumer. 

Whilst, the actual customer service side is a disgrace. Things like process around vulnerable customers defy must logic. 

They exist to ensure the costumer is protected and treated fairly. They’ve failed miserably. 

I always view a regulator a bit like referee. Unfortunately OFGEM is a bit Bobby Madden. 

About 20 years ago I was involved with a startup who did home wind generators. They were basically little wind turbine that you attached to your house. The technology was pretty advanced for the time and it was a clever idea. The issue we found, albeit the business still exists, is the payback period was excessive; especially in real word situations. We initially thought about 5 years in end be as much as 50☹️

They worked incredibly well in testing in lab conditions and on paper but you needed certain levels of wind, this wind needed to be unobstructed (mainly so sufficient power) so it became difficult in populated areas. At that time plugging back into grid was a bit of issue, so that hindered. They worked quite well on low use power setting in the middle of no where. So they weirdly developed a bit of niche markets but it became clear it wasn’t a scalable solution that we thought. 

There was some other issues such as noise, aesthetics and permissions that looked problematic as well. 

OFGEM's rule was to regulate the energy market, but to all ends & purposes there isn't a functioning market at the moment, and that's exposed them for being not fit for purpose.

You mention Bulb, it'll cost the taxpayer something between £4.5bn to £6.5bn when the government nationalised Bulb for a year and a bit, and Bulb were only the largest of the smaller energy companies, just imagine how much taxpayer money would be required to bailout one of the bigger players.

henrysmithsgloves
43 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

OFGEM's rule was to regulate the energy market, but to all ends & purposes there isn't a functioning market at the moment, and that's exposed them for being not fit for purpose.

You mention Bulb, it'll cost the taxpayer something between £4.5bn to £6.5bn when the government nationalised Bulb for a year and a bit, and Bulb were only the largest of the smaller energy companies, just imagine how much taxpayer money would be required to bailout one of the bigger players.

Thatchers legacy coming back and biting hard, should never have been sold in the first place. We are the ones that suffer, yet again🤬

18 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Thatchers legacy coming back and biting hard, should never have been sold in the first place. We are the ones that suffer, yet again🤬

Absolutely.......cheaper bills/fares, better service, more competition, a good deal for the public, that's what we were told.

If you ask me it's pretty much the opposite of all that.

20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely.......cheaper bills/fares, better service, more competition, a good deal for the public, that's what we were told.

Until recently haven’t we had that ? Genuinely can’t recall many complaints about prices until the last year or so. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Until recently haven’t we had that ? Genuinely can’t recall many complaints about prices until the last year or so. 

Folks moan every year about the increase in rail fares, my post wasn't just about energy prices but the whole shebang.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Folks moan every year about the increase in rail fares, my post wasn't just about energy prices but the whole shebang.

You could have just said folk moan. Price rises isn’t restricted to the UK or the tories. It’s pretty irrelevant to the point you replied to and agreed with. 

21 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You could have just said folk moan. Price rises isn’t restricted to the UK or the tories. It’s pretty irrelevant to the point you replied to and agreed with. 

That's me telt. 👍

29 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The Tory are filthy, vermin, scum.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Tory are filthy, vermin, scum.

I reserve such judgements for paedos and hibs but if it gets you through the day Ri. 👍   

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Why not just put them outside instead of ****ing holes in your walls? Saves a whole load of expense, plus it avoids the whole turning your house into a wind tunnel thing :smart:

That's fine if you are a house.

But was thinking more of streets like Gorgie/Dalry.

Or Leith.

Just a thought.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

I reserve such judgements for paedos and hibs but if it gets you through the day Ri. 👍   

Of course you do, you're not going to call yourself filthy vermin scum.

henrysmithsgloves
6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It was ok, till there was a monopoly,which was warned about...the monopolies and mergers commission are as much use as tits on a hen🤬

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

They’ve been a ****ing disgrace to put mildly and have failed massively. That’s a bit problematic as the they are there to protect us. They were meant to ensure competition they’ve enabled a ducking problem. 

They’ve overseen something like 30 failed energy companies in the last couple of years. Due to the be provider have last resort etc that cost us bill payers and extra costs (think in excess £100) and that’s doesn’t include the biggest bulb who bailout will probably be bigger that the others. 

They clearly failed in stress testing and setting parameters to enter market. They have done nothing to ensure resilience in the market. Whilst this issue has been apparent for a long time, they did nothing to protect the consumer. 

Whilst, the actual customer service side is a disgrace. Things like process around vulnerable customers defy must logic. 

They exist to ensure the costumer is protected and treated fairly. They’ve failed miserably. 

I always view a regulator a bit like referee. Unfortunately OFGEM is a bit Bobby Madden. 

About 20 years ago I was involved with a startup who did home wind generators. They were basically little wind turbine that you attached to your house. The technology was pretty advanced for the time and it was a clever idea. The issue we found, albeit the business still exists, is the payback period was excessive; especially in real word situations. We initially thought about 5 years in end be as much as 50☹️

They worked incredibly well in testing in lab conditions and on paper but you needed certain levels of wind, this wind needed to be unobstructed (mainly so sufficient power) so it became difficult in populated areas. At that time plugging back into grid was a bit of issue, so that hindered. They worked quite well on low use power setting in the middle of no where. So they weirdly developed a bit of niche markets but it became clear it wasn’t a scalable solution that we thought. 

There was some other issues such as noise, aesthetics and permissions that looked problematic as well. 

Of course, it could be argued that OFGEM are doing exactly what they're meant to do - put the power suppliers' interests first, and give the government a scapegoat to point at.

henrysmithsgloves
6 hours ago, Dazo said:

Take it you've never tried Scottish power customer services😳 it took me over a year of constant complaining to get money I was due...I was paying off the previous house owners debt unknowingly,even though they were notified when I moved in. Then once it was "sorted out" the sheriff's officers broke into my house and put a pre payment in,that was a nice surprise to come home to🤬🤬

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, Ked said:

That's fine if you are a house.

But was thinking more of streets like Gorgie/Dalry.

Or Leith.

Just a thought.

Fair enough, it wasn't intended to be so harsh.

At the end of the day though, buildings have outside walls, it doesn't make sense to knock holes in them rather than using them for mounting.

15 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Take it you've never tried Scottish power customer services😳 it took me over a year of constant complaining to get money I was due...I was paying off the previous house owners debt unknowingly,even though they were notified when I moved in. Then once it was "sorted out" the sheriff's officers broke into my house and put a pre payment in,that was a nice surprise to come home to🤬🤬

To be fair despite being with Scottish Power I haven’t had cause to use their customer services. Sounds a nightmare although I suspect all the ‘big 5’ are the same. 

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Dazo said:

To be fair despite being with Scottish Power I haven’t had cause to use their customer services. Sounds a nightmare although I suspect all the ‘big 5’ are the same. 

What I've heard now is ,have a good charge on your phone and the chat bot is worse😳. Hopefully for me I will never need their services 😉