energy prices

Masonic

I’ve been on at the family for a while and just looking at out usage compared to last year is quite startling. Hopefully keeping like that will help through the winter. Obviously more difficult to make savings in the winter due to lights actually having to be on. 🙄

F9880768-BF7E-4400-92DA-9AEDBCC5FE23.jpeg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’ve been on at the family for a while and just looking at out usage compared to last year is quite startling. Hopefully keeping like that will help through the winter. Obviously more difficult to make savings in the winter due to lights actually having to be on. 🙄

F9880768-BF7E-4400-92DA-9AEDBCC5FE23.jpeg

If that's your usage over the last two years, then it looks odd to have such a big spike in April last year.  I assume that you know why, although I'm not asking you to share the reason.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

If that's your usage over the last two years, then it looks odd to have such a big spike in April last year.  I assume that you know why, although I'm not asking you to share the reason.

Yes it’s the usage comparing this year to last year, month to month. Would happily share the spike last April but we actually have no clue. 🤔

Reducing your usage is always a good thing, but there is only so much you can cut and with Standing Charges being a thing, you're not really going to save a huge amount.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Reducing your usage is always a good thing, but there is only so much you can cut and with Standing Charges being a thing, you're not really going to save a huge amount.

As long as that attitude is kicking about people won’t bother. People are struggling but telling them you’re not going to save a huge amount isn’t exactly going to encourage. 

jack D and coke
On 29/08/2022 at 10:30, Ainsley Harriott said:

You won't get enough smack for 50 little Smurf 

:lol: shocking post and you have the nerve to pull me up for calling tories filth. 

46 minutes ago, Cade said:

Smacks of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thought all the donors and sponsors were Russian.

The Tories are many things. Stupid isn't one of them.

They'll be hoovering up cash from whoever is prepared to give it to them. 

There's a huge American interest in UK institutions failing, especially the NHS. 

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Tories are many things. Stupid isn't one of them.

They'll be hoovering up cash from whoever is prepared to give it to them. 

There's a huge American interest in UK institutions failing, especially the NHS. 

They’re setting it right up and filling the countries heads with this sort of shite. 
Imagine the place Britain might be without the media we have to put up with. 
JOB on LBC went through the Daily Mail this morning and nothing about the impending disaster coming down the tracks about the energy price hikes…

All about Meghan Markle and pish. 
These papers man :lol: 

Vermin. 

F6FF8EC1-C12D-42F6-864E-4D65F8F889E3.jpeg

manaliveits105

In Spain there was a local university hospital in private hands which attracted doctors from all over the world - the staff nurses - ambulance drivers all worked there for years . The population raved about the place . The Government decided to take back into public ownership and reduced salaries .2 years later now and the doctors and staff have mostly left and no one has a good word to say about the service anymore 

Sometimes private ownership works if you go down the NHS route which is the preferred option it must pay top dollar for the best staff and staff it up or you get the mess the Scottish Government has here 

Sturgeon oot 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

In Spain there was a local university hospital in private hands which attracted doctors from all over the world - the staff nurses - ambulance drivers all worked there for years . The population raved about the place . The Government decided to take back into public ownership and reduced salaries .2 years later now and the doctors and staff have mostly left and no one has a good word to say about the service anymore 

Sometimes private ownership works if you go down the NHS route which is the preferred option it must pay top dollar for the best staff and staff it up or you get the mess the Scottish Government has here 

Sturgeon oot 

Wibble. 

The Mighty Thor
16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They’re setting it right up and filling the countries heads with this sort of shite. 
Imagine the place Britain might be without the media we have to put up with. 
JOB on LBC went through the Daily Mail this morning and nothing about the impending disaster coming down the tracks about the energy price hikes…

All about Meghan Markle and pish. 
These papers man :lol: 

Vermin. 

F6FF8EC1-C12D-42F6-864E-4D65F8F889E3.jpeg

Anyone with half a brain can see exactly what they're up to. Starve it. Tell us it's shit. Flog it off.

It's all they have left to sell. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Smacks of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

I'm gonna use a heat pad on my chair for targeted heating of the body rather than the environment (or maybe invest in a heated gilet) and wear a head-torch for targeted lighting - who needs the whole room illuminated when you only look at a bit at a time, eh?

I'm also thinking up a cunning, Baldrick-esq plan to make our clothes dry outside in the depths of winter. See, if they go out wringing wet and freeze whilst on the line, surely a quick tap with a hammer will shake off all the ice and, et voila, dry clothes!

It's this sort of creative thinking allied to the right attitude that will work, especially if we adopt a Viz top-tips approach to get us out of this mess. 

Edited by Gizmo

Unknown user

I'll be buying draught excluders that look like snakes, foam tape that goes round the door frames, and thermal underwear. Mon the 70s!

Scotland's resources about get raped with violence when Truss gets in. Shetland needing emergency status and feck all being done.

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland's resources about get raped with violence when Truss gets in. Shetland needing emergency status and feck all being done.

Is Shetland not wanting independence from Scotland anyway? 

WorldChampions1902
46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'll be buying draught excluders that look like snakes, foam tape that goes round the door frames, and thermal underwear. Mon the 70s!

I’m buying a chisel to remove the layers of ice on the inside of my windows. Mon the 60’s!

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I bought one of the snake draft excluders about 6months for door to the garages. All that happened, is the dog thought it was her toy. Anytime we put it down, she would attack the thing and drag it everywhere except where it should be. Daft dog😃

On the energy crisis, I think it will end up being capped at lower level than recently announced. The mechanics of how paid, I’m less sure but I suspect it’s just added to our borrowing. 

Targeted measures won’t be able to be implemented. When the chancellor is saying £45k will face fuel poverty and Shetlanders, apparently needing to earn £100k to avoid fuel poverty. WTAF. 

The govt is going to have to step in as it really has no option other than to step in. The loons running to be out next PM, have no idea what they would do and are doing little more than sound bites for the tories leader election. The treasury etc, will have a variety of options and the PM will almost be picking I suggest. 

I think we will end up doing something similar to what EU decide; for a large number of reasons. Not least due to the Putin factor. Whilst, ultimately agree they will need to restructure pricing mechanism as speculation has played a part in this. 

Maybe, I’m over optimistic but this feels like furlough during COVID, govts across Europe have no option. Otherwise bodies and civil unrest will be on the streets. 

The UK govt have been an absolute disgrace in their handling of this crisis. Even by the tories standard, this is incompetence beyond belief. 

I never thought about the dog

:facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I bought one of the snake draft excluders about 6months for door to the garages. All that happened, is the dog thought it was her toy. Anytime we put it down, she would attack the thing and drag it everywhere except where it should be. Daft dog😃

On the energy crisis, I think it will end up being capped at lower level than recently announced. The mechanics of how paid, I’m less sure but I suspect it’s just added to our borrowing. 

Targeted measures won’t be able to be implemented. When the chancellor is saying £45k will face fuel poverty and Shetlanders, apparently needing to earn £100k to avoid fuel poverty. WTAF. 

The govt is going to have to step in as it really has no option other than to step in. The loons running to be out next PM, have no idea what they would do and are doing little more than sound bites for the tories leader election. The treasury etc, will have a variety of options and the PM will almost be picking I suggest. 

I think we will end up doing something similar to what EU decide; for a large number of reasons. Not least due to the Putin factor. Whilst, ultimately agree they will need to restructure pricing mechanism as speculation has played a part in this. 

Maybe, I’m over optimistic but this feels like furlough during COVID, govts across Europe have no option. Otherwise bodies and civil unrest will be on the streets. 

The UK govt have been an absolute disgrace in their handling of this crisis. Even by the tories standard, this is incompetence beyond belief. 

I'd encourage anyone not too sure about what this crisis means to read and digest this post. I may be wrong but @Lord BJ strikes me as apolitical in posting style or at least not welded to either end of the spectrum and certainly appears to know the financials of things a lot better than I do. 

We're facing a real mess here if the govt don't act and act appropriately.

Edited by Taffin

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I pretty much agree with all of this LBJ apart from the price cap being lower than current levels. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Your dog would be a better PM  and get those snake's out of  government 😂 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I never thought about the dog

:facepalm:

Get the dug to lie at the bottom of the door...if it's a sausage dug, well, win-win eh?

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The only conceivable solution is a cap + deferred energy mortgage over 30+ years or outright nationalisation.  Nothing else will get the job done.  But the Tories are going to have to do an almighty u-turn and complete departure from their core ideology to even consider it.  They'll need to repackage the idea of a state backed cap + deferred mortgage as something in line with Tory ethos.  

The effects on business and people (jobs plus rampant inflation caused by disappearing business,  input costs,  disappearing competition in markets) will be disasterous.  I think we're talking about unprecedented harms.

The only way forward is the one thing that this government will have at the very bottom of their list.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The only conceivable solution is a cap + deferred energy mortgage over 30+ years or outright nationalisation.  Nothing else will get the job done.  But the Tories are going to have to do an almighty u-turn and complete departure from their core ideology to even consider it.  They'll need to repackage the idea of a state backed cap + deferred mortgage as something in line with Tory ethos.  

The effects on business and people (jobs plus rampant inflation caused by disappearing business,  input costs,  disappearing competition in markets) will be disasterous.  I think we're talking about unprecedented harms.

The only way forward is the one thing that this government will have at the very bottom of their list.

Saddling people with debt isn’t the only option. Money can be found to cover the cost until it reaches affordable levels. 

Business is going to get clobbered from every direction.  Uncapped energy costs.  Labour supply already very poor and wage demands likely to climb.  Severely limited household disposable incomes.  Quite possibly the worst economic environment that business has ever faced.  It needs to be avoided.

29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I'm not sure that Shetland is on the national grid, I don't think they have mains gas like the rest of us and I think they generate their own electricity, Orkney could be similar.  That's why it's so much more expensive up there.

Price freeze, it's the only viable option, everything else is just tinkering around the edges.

Also the wholesale market, supply etc will need a complete shake-up and re-think.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Just now, Dazo said:

Saddling people with debt isn’t the only option. Money can be found to cover the cost until it reaches affordable levels. 

It's not putting debt on people.  The repayment part is done by a levy on future bills.  But no personal,  attributable debt on individuals.  

mrmarkus1981_1

Are they not likely to just cap energy at the new level (£3.5k) but then not increase it in April (or whenever it is)?

Like were all buttoned up the back and just grateful it didn't reach £5k,£6k...............

37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is so true. It is a matter of public health as much as Covid was imo

The Mighty Thor
33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's not putting debt on people.  The repayment part is done by a levy on future bills.  But no personal,  attributable debt on individuals.  

It won't work Vic.

The only way to break it is to nationalise it.

'Finding a way' to pay the company's exorbitant prices and maintaining their ridiculous profit expectations will mean that the prices will never, ever come down. The 52p kW/h will be the norm and they'll be the base point for further increases. 

How do you mortgage a never reducing price?

No the answer is simple. Price cap reset. Support available to generation and distribution companies in return for shares and if they can't survive they're a failed business and they go the way of Woolworths. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Is Shetland not wanting independence from Scotland anyway? 

Makes me smile that.
It’s what the unionists will tell you anyway. It’s the only time they give a monkeys about the islands :lol: 

How are they going to go about that anyway I wonder…

Will they not have to ask scotland for some section 30? Get permission, I mean that’s how it works no? What currency will they use? Who will protect them? What about the price of stuff coming from the mainland or vice versa when it’ll then be a “foreign” country? The price of everything will go through the roof!! Passports and checks everytime they get the boat or fly into Scotland or anything lands or leaves Shetland. What a nightmare that’ll be for them😬😃
Have they thought this through/now is not the time etc etc

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It won't work Vic.

'Finding a way' to pay the company's exorbitant prices and maintaining their ridiculous profit expectations will mean that the prices will never, ever come down. The 52p kW/h will be the norm and they'll be the base point for further increases. 

No the answer is simple. Price cap reset. Support available to generation and distribution companies in return for shares and if they can't survive they're a failed business and they go the way of Woolworths. 

Ideally yes.  But if that's not on the table then the next best thing is to attempt a freeze + mortgaged excess.  The premise is to save people and the economy and that would buy time.  The repayment levy on all bills could in theory be turned on and off at will.  When you consider the net benefit from saving the economy from untold damage,  it massively outweighs other things.  But yes,  nationalisation certainly provides more certainty and would be the ideal.  

manaliveits105

A movement called Wir Shetland was launched in October 2015 to secede from the rest of Scotland in favour of becoming either a Crown Dependency or a British Overseas Territory, as a means of achieving greater autonomy for the Shetland Isles.

Wir aw Shetland - freeeeeerrdom !!

dobmisterdobster
15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It won't work Vic.

I wouldn't expect them to survive this Venezuelan style expropriation.

The spaffer-in-chief has spoken.

That no matter who wins next week and becomes the new PM the government will "provide a further package of support for helping people with the cost of energy".

What that'll look like I guess we'll just have to wait until next week to find out.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I wouldn't expect them to survive this Venezuelan style expropriation.

I don't expect a lot of the most vulnerable in our society will survive a continuation of government inaction and pandering to big business.

If it's them or us then feck them. 

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Business is going to get clobbered from every direction.  Uncapped energy costs.  Labour supply already very poor and wage demands likely to climb.  Severely limited household disposable incomes.  Quite possibly the worst economic environment that business has ever faced.  It needs to be avoided.

Need to uncouple the cost of other electric supplies from those of gas .

that would help and need to be euro wide as we both supply and take from them

1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Are they not likely to just cap energy at the new level (£3.5k) but then not increase it in April (or whenever it is)?

Like were all buttoned up the back and just grateful it didn't reach £5k,£6k...............

That's EXECTLY what they will do. They will announce that they have struck a deal and protected the citizens, get the UJ flags and bunting out and will try to be the heroes that we all know they're not!

If it goes to £5/£6 K a year, expect a massive collapse in everything! Businesses, house sales the lot!

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It will still need to be paid back by us all on future bills. I’m now of a mind of forget tax or vat cuts for the moment and for the government to foot the bill. Current prices are already unreachable for many so ideally like Lbj mentioned it needs capped at reduced prices with the government picking up the rest. 

33 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

A movement called Wir Shetland was launched in October 2015 to secede from the rest of Scotland in favour of becoming either a Crown Dependency or a British Overseas Territory, as a means of achieving greater autonomy for the Shetland Isles.

Scotland owns Shetland, the people can set up whatever it wants. It doesn't change the fact it belongs to Scotland, just like the Isle of wight is England. 

periodictabledancer
55 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

We've heard this project fear crap from unionists for nearly 40 years now, and not because they genuinely  think the Shetlands should have autonomy or independence (obviously). Weirdly, for all the chat, it never gets anywhere. Strange how "the Shetlands" springs so readily into the unionist collective consciousness whenever Scottish independence is under discussion but otherwise, you never hear a word about it. 

Maybe that's because a territory can't just secede when it feels like it and then expect to be internationally recognised (you can put Catalunya in the same category). 

36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It will still need to be paid back by us all on future bills. I’m now of a mind of forget tax or vat cuts for the moment and for the government to foot the bill. Current prices are already unreachable for many so ideally like Lbj mentioned it needs capped at reduced prices with the government picking up the rest. 

That's what's being suggested.  But the government's investment needs to be recouped.  It would involve a small levy on all energy bills over a generation.  There is no 'government pick up the tab'.  Government money is taxpayers' money.  It's either recouped on energy bills or through general taxation / austerity spending cuts,  etc.  If you're spreading it over 30 years then it's better suited to a levy.  

Edited by Victorian

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It doesn't have to be - look at the massive rise & sudden fall of petrol & diesel (admittedly they're still not back to previous levels but there's  a significant fall nonetheless. 

We need to understand how/if countries like Qatar/Algeria/Australia can help by boosting production.  Even if it's only for a few years while renewables are developed more widely by government support & investment. Even if we go nuclear that will still take a decade or nore to get reactors up & running. 

The current levels are not sustainable either for the individual consumer or even worse, industry generally. 

2 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Be grateful, plebs, that we limited it to just £4-500 a month. You don't want the CEO of Shell or BP to have to fly around the globe in a private jet with no DVD remote, now. 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Couldn't agree more. Bee  saying for weeks when discussing this with friends that i think this will be way worse than the financial crash 2008. I can't see restaurants, cafes, pubs and even takeaways surviving with the cost of gas and electricity. Like others have said, why can't the UK government nationalise the utilities? The French government have taken EDF back into public ownership, introduced a tariff shield to limit electricity to a 4% rise and froze gas prices at October 2021 levels. Granted its only in place until the end of this year for now but at least they are being pro active and trying to protect businesses and their citizens

20 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Couldn't agree more. Bee  saying for weeks when discussing this with friends that i think this will be way worse than the financial crash 2008. I can't see restaurants, cafes, pubs and even takeaways surviving with the cost of gas and electricity. Like others have said, why can't the UK government nationalise the utilities? The French government have taken EDF back into public ownership, introduced a tariff shield to limit electricity to a 4% rise and froze gas prices at October 2021 levels. Granted its only in place until the end of this year for now but at least they are being pro active and trying to protect businesses and their citizens

Because this government is in a number of strait jackets.  Ideological,  as well as the simbiotic existence it shares with big business and the financial markets.  This ruling party relies on donated funding from those who routinely benefit from the continuation of societal larceny,  market rigging,  deregulation,  government looking the other way,  etc.  It also relies on it's economic philosophical schtick.  Free market economy that self regulates and self equalises through competition of supply and price.  Private sector always provides into every gap vacated by the state.  Small state intervention.  Bare minimum state safety net.  The impression that the perceived socialist policy of nationalisation has proved to be absolutely necessary and has saved the economy puts a huge dent into their very existence.  

The Tories will not nationalise or underwrite the energy market until the evidence of severe health consequences and a hopelessly smashed economy come to full public consciousness.  Even then it would be repackaged as some kind of special economic operation.  It wont be borne out of the desperation to save people.  Only out of self preservation.

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

We've heard this project fear crap from unionists for nearly 40 years now, and not because they genuinely  think the Shetlands should have autonomy or independence (obviously). Weirdly, for all the chat, it never gets anywhere. Strange how "the Shetlands" springs so readily into the unionist collective consciousness whenever Scottish independence is under discussion but otherwise, you never hear a word about it. 

Maybe that's because a territory can't just secede when it feels like it and then expect to be internationally recognised (you can put Catalunya in the same category). 

It’s not the Shetlands. It’s either Shetland or the Shetland isles. Calling it the Shetlands is ignorant.

wir shetland is never getting anywhere. 

periodictabledancer
21 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

It’s not the Shetlands. It’s either Shetland or the Shetland isles. Calling it the Shetlands is ignorant.

wir shetland is never getting anywhere. 

Point noted but I really couldn't care less.