energy prices

Masonic

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Hydro is, and (unless you want to flood every glen in the country and dam every river) always will be a small contributor.  The problem with solar is - hours of daylight.  Not many in the long nights of winter when we need it most.

Wind? Yes, can make a major contribution (indeed, already is) but what if we get a big high-pressure system setting over the country in January?

Tidal? Isn’t really happening yet, not sure why.  Maybe the concerns over its effect on coastal ecosystems? Dunno.

Wave?  Again, doesn’t seem to be happening, at least not any time soon.

Pump storage?  Yes, useful and necessary, but again, how many glens will we need to flood?

But a combination of all of these would go a long way, no?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But a combination of all of these would go a long way, no?

It would go further than scotland needs but that isn't the point. It's what rUK needs is what matters 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

In case you forget

FB_IMG_1662101823232.thumb.jpg.1ebc29df2a33057d6f705fb39ea48db8.jpg

1 and 3 wouldn't even strike me as something to be concerned about. 2 is not okay, though it's for businesses to worry about, not other people.

Edited by Taffin

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

1 and 3 wouldn't even strike me as something to be concerned about. 2 is not okay, though it's for businesses to worry about, not other people.

Exactly, it's none of our business

dobmisterdobster
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If it's an independent business then I am happy to help detain the suspect until the cops arrive.

17 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

If it's an independent business then I am happy to help detain the suspect until the cops arrive.

What, by getting your butler to block the exit?

Malinga the Swinga
41 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yep, ignoring shoplifting just another low from that poster. Surprised he doesn't want to ignore burglary and theft as well.

If I see it happening, I'll certainly be telling shopworkers and police. 

G7 nations agree to implement a price cap on Russian oil.

Anyone needing shipping services or insurance cover from G7 nations in respect to importing Russian oil would have to adhere to this cap.

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

G7 nations agree to implement a price cap on Russian oil.

Anyone needing shipping services or insurance cover from G7 nations in respect to importing Russian oil would have to adhere to this cap.

Heard Zahawi mention something that it'll protect people next year because it doesn't come in until next year, the details haven't been released as yet, so I'd wait to see what the actual time line is expected to be, but that didn't sound all that promising.

Hang on..

Isn't that just going to make demand + price worse on oil from Norway?  Russia says it wont export to anyone putting a cap on.   It's effectively removing supply = increased demand on remaining supply = market price goes up again.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

It would go further than scotland needs but that isn't the point. It's what rUK needs is what matters 

How are you planning to store the energy for a cold, still week in January?

Edited by FWJ

28 minutes ago, FWJ said:

How are you planning to store the energy for a cold, still week in January?

As I said earlier, we need to improve battery life and storage. This has been improving year on year and will be more than good enough in 15 years time. 

Also, tidal energy is constant, as is hydro. As is oil and gas currently 

Edited by XB52

Boris just turned off Nord Stream 1 "indefinitely". He's just cut Europe's gas off!

That should help with the gas prices 🙄

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Russia price cap is more about starving Ivan of war funding than lowering your bills.

Tbh I'm not sure it'll make all that much of a difference, because by next year the EU should be importing much much less Russian oil, the UK has stopped it already and I doubt the USA, Canada & Japan import much if indeed any Russian oil as it is.

Besides Russia has already found a new buyer in the shape of China, who are now buying 25% of their oil needs from Russia, and that will probably increase because Russia will sell them it at a discounted price.

dobmisterdobster

Former Deputy Prime-Minister Nick Clegg opposed new Nuclear Power stations because they wouldn't be operational until 2021/22 and lord knows that's years away.

5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Boris just turned off Nord Stream 1 "indefinitely". He's just cut Europe's gas off!

That should help with the gas prices 🙄

Gazprom saying there is a leak and a turbine needs fixed.........of course there is.

jack D and coke

Read a couple of tweets down too about a guy who tried to disconnect and what they want to charge him. 
This is beyond a scandal. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Lib Dems opposing nuclear just like they opposed new reservoirs. Joke of a party.

Just like the Tory scum.

jack D and coke

What’s the chances of anyone getting off their arse and doing anything here?

Why are we so passive…I’m talking about myself too. 
The only reaction you ever see is pish like people buying all the bog roll in Tesco 🤷🏽‍♂️

dobmisterdobster
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Read a couple of tweets down too about a guy who tried to disconnect and what they want to charge him. 
This is beyond a scandal. 

Give them a ring and get them to sort it out. A lot of bills are based on estimates.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Give them a ring and get them to sort it out. A lot of bills are based on estimates.

It’s not mine bud lol

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yep, ignoring shoplifting just another low from that poster. Surprised he doesn't want to ignore burglary and theft as well.

If I see it happening, I'll certainly be telling shopworkers and police. 

"Another low from that poster" 😂

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

As I said earlier, we need to improve battery life and storage. This has been improving year on year and will be more than good enough in 15 years time. 

Also, tidal energy is constant, as is hydro. As is oil and gas currently 

Sorry to keep going on about it but - but where is the tidal power?  The one in France has been on the go for decades and there’s a bigger one in S Korea but why are there no others?

Big hydro is just about done in Scotland - unless you want to flood scores of glens.

Batteries?  The biggest battery in the world is orders of magnitude to small to power (never mind heat ) the country and I can’t see that changing much in 15 years - aside from anything else how do we get the minerals required to construct it?

I’m not dismissing renewables, far from it, but they’re still decades away from providing the reliable power we’ll need not only to light our homes but heat them too - and charge all the cars.

In 2021:
Germany got 55% of its gas from Russia
France got 17% of its gas from Russia
UK got 4% of its gas from Russia.
In 2022;
Energy prices in Germany have risen by 23%
Energy prices in France have risen by 4%
Energy prices in the UK have risen by 215%.
Don't let them tell you this is caused by anything
other than greed-driven profit making.

44 minutes ago, Imaman said:

In 2021:
Germany got 55% of its gas from Russia
France got 17% of its gas from Russia
UK got 4% of its gas from Russia.
In 2022;
Energy prices in Germany have risen by 23%
Energy prices in France have risen by 4%
Energy prices in the UK have risen by 215%.
Don't let them tell you this is caused by anything
other than greed-driven profit making.

20220902_221652.thumb.jpg.79a94acb32910b8d0cc0dde418889d8d.jpg

Chef Tom Kerridge energy bills rise from £60k a year to £460k at his pub.

**** me there are going to be some amount of businesses closing down if these are the type of hikes coming there way.

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

20220902_221652.thumb.jpg.79a94acb32910b8d0cc0dde418889d8d.jpg

Every household in the UK needs to see that sit on their TV screens for at least 10 minutes. We are paying for the mismanagement of the UK by stealth...Not anymore, thanks for posting that ⬆️

9 hours ago, FWJ said:

Sorry to keep going on about it but - but where is the tidal power?  The one in France has been on the go for decades and there’s a bigger one in S Korea but why are there no others?

Big hydro is just about done in Scotland - unless you want to flood scores of glens.

Batteries?  The biggest battery in the world is orders of magnitude to small to power (never mind heat ) the country and I can’t see that changing much in 15 years - aside from anything else how do we get the minerals required to construct it?

I’m not dismissing renewables, far from it, but they’re still decades away from providing the reliable power we’ll need not only to light our homes but heat them too - and charge all the cars.

Scotland has long been a pioneer for tidal technology, hosting the world’s largest tidal stream generating station which was built in 2018 thanks to a £10 million innovation grant from the UK Government and extensive support under the Renewables Obligation mechanism – the highest level of support awarded to any technology.

In fact, the UK has the largest tidal stream deployment in the world, so much so that almost 50% of the world’s installed tidal stream capacity is in Scottish waters

Truss.  "We're too reliant on the energy market"  "I will act on energy supply".

So you're going to seperate some of our supply from the market then?

On 02/09/2022 at 18:55, jack D and coke said:

The only reaction you ever see is pish like people buying all the bog roll in Tesco 🤷🏽‍♂️

Called this weeks ago, we’ve absolutely no backbone in the UK.

Malinga the Swinga

Oh diddums, prices going up. We're in start of war against Russia so what did people expect.

If you don't like it, campaign for support to Ukraine to stop or refuse to pay bill and see what happens.

More likely though, you'll sit back, do nothing apart from come on here and cry.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Prices going up is nothing to do with the war in Russia 🤦🏻

Of course the war with Russia, not in Russia though, has an impact on energy prices.

If you believe they are 100% unconnected, then there's no point in discussing anything further. Goodbye.

Well well,  unless I'm mental,  I'm fairly sure that France and Germany exist in the same reality of war existing in Ukraine.  Yet their energy prices haven't risen anything like the UK.

It just demonstrates how easily the hopelessly gullible are deceived.  As seen in the embarrassing rant above.

Psychedelicropcircle
11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Of course the war with Russia, not in Russia though, has an impact on energy prices.

If you believe they are 100% unconnected, then there's no point in discussing anything further. Goodbye.

Long before a Russian tank crossed the Ukrainian border utility companies had long gone bust. 
All utility companies are a dead man walking if the Tory ideology of market pressures dictate.

Oh diddums, prices are going up must be the most crass, insensitive thing I've read in a long time. People will die because of these price increases ffs.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Oh diddums, prices are going up must be the most crass, insensitive thing I've read in a long time. People will die because of these price increases ffs.

It's astonishing and a window into the tribal political culture that has been allowed to exist / fostered by the right wing.   That people would rather accept unneccesary economic burden for themselves than to tolerate the idea that those with a different political view have legitimate grounds to complain.

On 02/09/2022 at 18:55, jack D and coke said:

Back in February ARERA the Italian energy regulator announced that electricity prices were going up by 94% and gas by 131%.

There were demonstrations on the streets of Rome, very quickly followed by the Italian government stepping in to put a cap on the price rises, I think they eventually ended up something like 10% electric & 20% on gas price rises for the Italian consumer.

Meanwhile in the UK prices went up by 215% and what did the good citizens of Britain do.......SFA.

53 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Oh diddums, prices going up. We're in start of war against Russia so what did people expect.

If you don't like it, campaign for support to Ukraine to stop or refuse to pay bill and see what happens.

More likely though, you'll sit back, do nothing apart from come on here and cry.

The state of her.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Back in February ARERA the Italian energy regulator announced that electricity prices were going up by 94% and gas by 131%.

There were demonstrations on the streets of Rome, very quickly followed by the Italian government stepping in to put a cap on the price rises, I think they eventually ended up something like 10% electric & 20% on gas price rises for the Italian consumer.

Meanwhile in the UK prices went up by 215% and what did the good citizens of Britain do.......SFA.

😕we just moan on a fitba board :lol: 

51 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

On 02/09/2022 at 16:27, Malinga the Swinga said:

just another low from that poster.

27 minutes ago, graygo said:

At this time on a Sunday morning we have to assume it's hangover related, but still, poor show, sneering at those facing trouble is a really shan look.

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

😕we just moan on a fitba board :lol: 

Not me, I'm waiting for every other **** to do something, then I'm getting TORN tf in 

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

At this time on a Sunday morning we have to assume it's hangover related, but still, poor show, sneering at those facing trouble is a really shan look.

If I was like him, I'd wish him unemployment and a Nigerian general taking his life savings. But I'm not, so hopefully everyone else gets sorted.

Edited by ri Alban

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The thing is, he'll know people in trouble, he'll say something stupid and end up on his Todd, or eating through a straw.