Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

Fitzroy Pointon
15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Do you still call the capital of china Peking? Or say Bombay or Calcutta?

Cant say I have. But I've always called Dynamo Kiev Dynamo Kee-ev.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeffros Furios

Jeremy Corbyn to speak at an event which says NATO is dangerous and  an aggressive military alliance :cornette:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Also, **** Switzerland and their refusal to suspend access to funds for anyone on any sanction list. *****. 

Given their service for the Nazis over the years, not a surprise 

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

which is why banning them from SWIFT would stop them being able to use those cash reserves

I've read a couple of articles saying it would hamper them but not completely cut them off?

https://www.ft.com/content/55d86391-2d05-4eb4-869c-83a7878b8942

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-swift-nuclear-option/31601868.html

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

China has already come out in support of Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched an invasion of Taiwan shortly.

Probably won’t be a better time to do it tbh. We can’t deal with both of them at the same time. Then it really does threaten to escalate into something scary. 

Seymour M Hersh

I see on the very day of Russia's invasion the chiefs of our intelligence (oxymoron alert) gathered somewhere to come to terms with their white privilege. Kind of sums the west up nowadays. I wonder if Biden is still intent on sacking thousands of military personnel who have not had their wuhan flu jags. 

Doesn't sit right with me that Nato are sitting back watching Ukraine get skull****ed by a global super power and the most they'll do is financial sanctions and strongly worded tweets. Those financial sanctions aren't going to do shit for the men women and children that have lost their lives or will lose their lives as a result of Putins actions. 

Appreciate its a delicate situation as all out war could go global fast but something has went badly, badly wrong for things to get to this stage. 

I think Putin might have clocked that the west is all bark here. He's held Crimea since 2014 and pished himself laughing at the 'sanctions' that have been directed his way. Whats we're doing now should have happened then, not now. 

Its very hard to see this ending  in a way which doesn't see Putin getting what he wants. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Also an interesting angle: Russia sees the expansion of the EU as a threat. China needs the EU due to the market access it provides. Therefore China will not support Russia in this war. It might not hinder, but it’ll look out for its own interests - economically that means avoiding serious sanctions from the European market.  

German/American commentator on C4News tonight said exactly that - China badly needs need the money from the EU single market and will not be happy with Russia. 

1 hour ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

More than likely Russia is aware of the potential Ukrainian military or such like, getting spent material,making a bomb and setting it off in a major russian city.

I've read a few things to say that a "dirty bomb" would be a poor choice as a weapon.  The main reason seems to be that if you get a load of radioactive material and blow it up somewhere, you disperse the material so much that most of it blows away on the wind and the rest is too thinly spread out to do any serious contamination of the target.  The only answer to that is to pack an enormous quantity into something like a forty-foot truck and blow that up with a small bomb, so you get a concentration of material.  But even then all you can do is contaminate a very small area, with material that a clean-up team could fix in a short space of time, and the bombers would be exposed to a far higher dose of radiation than their targets.  Also, you can't launch a forty-foot truck remotely at a city as if it was a missile, and if you tried to drive one a few hundred km into somewhere like Moscow you'd probably be caught by the authorities long before you got there.

A good introduction to stuff like this can be found in the book Physics for Future Presidents, written by Richard A. Muller, emeritus professor of physics at UC Berkeley.  It's written in a folksy style, and its aim is to help non-scientists understand enough about scientific issues to be able to make decisions without having to be scientific experts - so if you're an actual scientist you might want to avoid it.  It's not a bad read, all the same.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
25 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Jeremy Corbyn to speak at an event which says NATO is dangerous and  an aggressive military alliance :cornette:

This penis would have been over in Germany giving it large with Hitler in 1939. 

The Mighty Thor

Apparently Germany & Italy have blocked kicking Russia out of the SWIFT banking system.

I'm getting a vague recollection of the last time these pair tag teamed world peace......

20220224_212145.jpg

16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Doesn't sit right with me that Nato are sitting back watching Ukraine get skull****ed by a global super power and the most they'll do is financial sanctions and strongly worded tweets. Those financial sanctions aren't going to do shit for the men women and children that have lost their lives or will lose their lives as a result of Putins actions. 

Appreciate its a delicate situation as all out war could go global fast but something has went badly, badly wrong for things to get to this stage. 

I think Putin might have clocked that the west is all bark here. He's held Crimea since 2014 and pished himself laughing at the 'sanctions' that have been directed his way. Whats we're doing now should have happened then, not now. 

Its very hard to see this ending  in a way which doesn't see Putin getting what he wants. 

Appeasement just encourages the aggressor . At some point a stand will have to be made especially as the Russians are capturing large swathes of land , the more they take the stronger they’ll feel and a lot bloody harder to get out . 
Best that I can see is a buffer zone for mother Russia in eastern Ukraine but if they don’t get a few bloody noses in battle they might just take the whole country . 

could putin be ousted by his own people , unlikely but might be the best hope 

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This penis would have been over in Germany giving it large with Hitler in 1939. 

Only one person got their pants taken down in Germany in the late 30’s.

Chamberlain.

Geoff Kilpatrick
27 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Apparently Germany & Italy have blocked kicking Russia out of the SWIFT banking system.

I'm getting a vague recollection of the last time these pair tag teamed world peace......

20220224_212145.jpg

The French also blocked it as well because they have a lot of banking debt they wouldn't get paid for. It's embarrassing. Funny money created by zeroes on a computer bailed out Greece. They could do the same here.

34 minutes ago, Boab said:

Only one person got their pants taken down in Germany in the late 30’s.

Chamberlain.

Can of worms there, Boab.    He may have been driven by an understandable   desire to avoid war at any cost ..... or he may have been "influenced" by  whats now known to be an extremely worrying "dictator-worship" cult among sections of Britain's  upper class & royalty.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think you mean, there's plenty of lifting to see.

Those folks, brave and conscientious as they may be, will have their cards marked for a while.

No I meant it was uplifting to see 👍

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think you mean, there's plenty of lifting to see.

Those folks, brave and conscientious as they may be, will have their cards marked for a while.

Probably true, sadly.      tbf though, these brave souls (if enough of them continue to take part in demos for the next few weeks)  may well be   the world's best hope of curtailing  Putin's takeover ambitions in Eastern Europe.  

It would be interesting to know if  Putin expected significant unrest among his own people, of it he thought there'd be unanimous flag waving and cheering.

Chamberlain was in an impossible position.

Britain was in no state to fight a war; we started the war using ww1 guns that had been stored in barrels of oil and had severely cut back the armed forces.

We had 140-odd tanks in total. And those were all shite.

Also, the British public had no appetite for war; the horrors of the last war still being fresh in the memory.

Chamberlain was cheered in the streets when he got back from Munich and was even congratulated by The King.

Delaying things a bit, including the "phoney war" in 1940, gave Britain enough time to re-arm and gear up for what was to come.
If we'd gone in guns blazing on the continent in 1938/9 we'd have gotten steamrollered just like everybody else.

As it was we nearly lost a third of our army in Dunkirk, and only got away because Adolf was a dipshit commander and let us go.

Malinga the Swinga

Quite a few Russian sports people from various backgrounds speaking out against this action by Putin.

Zenit dropped their Ukrainian player from match tonight, but not sure if to protect him or they simply don't want Ukrainian players at the moment.

If Russia suffers heavy losses of soldiers, the reaction in Russia will not be positive for Putin.

He's played a dangerous hand and it could backfire.

All roads lead to Gorgie

If the Russian people could only rid themselves of their authoritarian leadership they would have a wealthy future to share. A proper elected government content with the borders they have and friendly trading relations with Europe and beyond would surely be in every every Russian's interest. NATO could be disbanded and take any fear they had away.

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I've read a few things to say that a "dirty bomb" would be a poor choice as a weapon.  The main reason seems to be that if you get a load of radioactive material and blow it up somewhere, you disperse the material so much that most of it blows away on the wind and the rest is too thinly spread out to do any serious contamination of the target.  The only answer to that is to pack an enormous quantity into something like a forty-foot truck and blow that up with a small bomb, so you get a concentration of material.  But even then all you can do is contaminate a very small area, with material that a clean-up team could fix in a short space of time, and the bombers would be exposed to a far higher dose of radiation than their targets.  Also, you can't launch a forty-foot truck remotely at a city as if it was a missile, and if you tried to drive one a few hundred km into somewhere like Moscow you'd probably be caught by the authorities long before you got there.

A good introduction to stuff like this can be found in the book Physics for Future Presidents, written by Richard A. Muller, emeritus professor of physics at UC Berkeley.  It's written in a folksy style, and its aim is to help non-scientists understand enough about scientific issues to be able to make decisions without having to be scientific experts - so if you're an actual scientist you might want to avoid it.  It's not a bad read, all the same.

I would imagine certain areas and people  might be more apt to contamination than others,as said it has been a fear for security forces for a while.i wouldn't fancy that ready brek glow😁

34 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Can of worms there, Boab.    He may have been driven by an understandable   desire to avoid war at any cost ..... or he may have been "influenced" by  whats now known to be an extremely worrying "dictator-worship" cult among sections of Britain's  upper class & royalty.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on him.

I look at him and others at that time and now look and see BJ and Truss !

Jesus H Christ !

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Kyiv is Ukrainian

Kiev is Russian

Neither are Ukrainian or Russian otherwise they would be written in the Cyrillic alphabet. Ukraine quite recently launched an international campaign to change the name from one anglicised version of the name to another. I am not sure what the point of that was other than to irritate Russia. Or why we all signed up to the new version other than for the same reason. The USA was an early enthusiast for the change.

2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Genuinely good people. 

Depends on the war, mate.

Plenty demonstrated against the Iraq invasion but it was “ damn lefties “ on here !

12 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

If the Russian people could only rid themselves of their authoritarian leadership they would have a wealthy future to share. A proper elected government content with the borders they have and friendly trading relations with Europe and beyond would surely be in every every Russian's interest. NATO could be disbanded and take any fear they had away.

That's what I don't understand about Russia.

Geographically, it straddles Asia and Europe and everything in between and has ocean and sea borders on most of the world's major waterways.

It has huge amounts of natural resources, both renewable and fossil/raw mined materials.

It's got plenty of land to grow as much food as it wants.

If it just played nice and concentrated on trade and technology and building alliances it'd be a world leader, up there with the USA, EU (and maybe China) not only in terms of economics but in science and culture.

But, for some strange reason, it has always preferred to play the dick.

It pours all of that energy and potential into cyber attacks, interfering in other nation's politics, bullying people with military force, looking inwards, oppressing its own people, cheating at sports and all other kinds of stupid behaviour.

Maybe there's something fundamentally wrong in their collective psyche.

If they just acted like a globalised, normal nation then we'd all be better off, especially Russia.

Peter the Great saw that and tried his best to modernise it even way back in the 1700s. 

He almost single-handedly dragged Russia out of feudal medieval times and into the modern age by sheer force of will.

2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Thank **** he didn’t win. 

Isn't Konisberg still Russian, and with a high population from Ukraine too?

Perhaps the west should 'liberate' that for the Ukrainians displaced in all of this.

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Chamberlain was in an impossible position.

Britain was in no state to fight a war; we started the war using ww1 guns that had been stored in barrels of oil and had severely cut back the armed forces.

We had 140-odd tanks in total. And those were all shite.

Also, the British public had no appetite for war; the horrors of the last war still being fresh in the memory.

Chamberlain was cheered in the streets when he got back from Munich and was even congratulated by The King.

Delaying things a bit, including the "phoney war" in 1940, gave Britain enough time to re-arm and gear up for what was to come.
If we'd gone in guns blazing on the continent in 1938/9 we'd have gotten steamrollered just like everybody else.

As it was we nearly lost a third of our army in Dunkirk, and only got away because Adolf was a dipshit commander and let us go.

Good post.  I think you're right about his impossible position.   He's unfairly mocked nowadays as a cowardly appeaser, but there were solid reasons for him seeking talks with Hitler.

Have you been watching the documentary "Dictators at War" - the BBC follow-up to the Rise of the Nazis ?   Quite informative and an insight into the unstable & unpredictable nature of Hitler (and Stalin to some extent) -  visiting Napoleon's memorial after Paris fell, and deciding there and then to follow in his footsteps to attempt a takeover of the East,  becoming transfixed on Stalin  instead of following through on defeating  Britain. Ultimately losing patience with his own generals attempts to defeat Russia, and taking control of military planning himself.     Its on iPlayer if you've not seen it.

9 minutes ago, Boab said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on him.

I look at him and others at that time and now look and see BJ and Truss !

Jesus H Christ !

😃 

Sadly though, BoJo's poll ratings will go up as a result of Putin's adventure, and folk will have  soon forgotten who Sue Gray is.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Seen some videos on twitter, the scale of it is pure WW3 stuff. 

Something to cheer us up a bit ... a wee smile from the lads that "wiped out" the  Russians who tries to take the airport near Kyiv. 

NB I do not support violence.  

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

Isn't Konisberg still Russian, and with a high population from Ukraine too?

Perhaps the west should 'liberate' that for the Ukrainians displaced in all of this.

Yes- Kaliningrad.

More of a Polish issue, I believe (I don't really understand the Polish/Ukrian border thing too well). 

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Something to cheer us up a bit ... a wee smile from the lads that "wiped out" the  Russians who tries to take the airport near Kyiv. 

NB I do not support violence.  

Good lads. I'm sure they'll fight hard and give the Russians a bloody nose. 

A wee bit more to maybe cheer us up ....

Replying to

@BethRigby

Ukrainians reckon Russia used 60 tactical battalions today out of 90 in total...and failed in their airborne, Spetznaz defeated at Antonov-lost bridge on Dnieper-tank columns destroyed or halted. So-we will see but doesn't look like a good day at the office for Vlad.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

A wee bit more to maybe cheer us up ....

Replying to

@BethRigby

Ukrainians reckon Russia used 60 tactical battalions today out of 90 in total...and failed in their airborne, Spetznaz defeated at Antonov-lost bridge on Dnieper-tank columns destroyed or halted. So-we will see but doesn't look like a good day at the office for Vlad.

The thing is taking WWII out of the equation the Russians have always been a bit shite at warfare. 

Edited by Tazio

Just now, Tazio said:

The thing is taking WWII out of the occasion the Russians have always been a bit shite at warfare. 

Without taking it too far off topic : Russia wins through sheer scale of numbers.

Hopefully the Ukrainians have a decent supply of anti tank/ SAM type stuff to make a bit of a fight.

I saw one report from an official Ukranian govt source today claiming a unit of Russians surrendered when they found out they were fighting Ukranians. Which makes you wonder what the Russian cannon fodder think they are fighting (for).

Of course, it could all be bollox. 

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

That's what I don't understand about Russia.

Geographically, it straddles Asia and Europe and everything in between and has ocean and sea borders on most of the world's major waterways.

It has huge amounts of natural resources, both renewable and fossil/raw mined materials.

It's got plenty of land to grow as much food as it wants.

If it just played nice and concentrated on trade and technology and building alliances it'd be a world leader, up there with the USA, EU (and maybe China) not only in terms of economics but in science and culture.

But, for some strange reason, it has always preferred to play the dick.

It pours all of that energy and potential into cyber attacks, interfering in other nation's politics, bullying people with military force, looking inwards, oppressing its own people, cheating at sports and all other kinds of stupid behaviour.

Maybe there's something fundamentally wrong in their collective psyche.

If they just acted like a globalised, normal nation then we'd all be better off, especially Russia.

Peter the Great saw that and tried his best to modernise it even way back in the 1700s. 

He almost single-handedly dragged Russia out of feudal medieval times and into the modern age by sheer force of will.

Good post. 

I don't believe the average Russian is that different to you or i and our wants and needs are the same. They are however led by people that are psychologically damaged by years of secrecy, paranoia and doubts of even those close to them. They fear us more than we do them. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine