Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

It would be a shame if those russian troops breathed in a lot of strontium 90

Unfortunately Putin is not with them and also probably doesn’t give a $#!t about frontline troops anyway.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Russia appear to be open to talks. 

Obviously things will be very much on their terms, but a possible ray of light?

Where you hearing this, jonesy?

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m not pretending to have the answers but just think about us going to war with a madman for a minute. A madman with nuclear weapons. 

And it’s easy for people to say get the army in . Yes all those young British men and women sent to their death too . No thanks . Best solution is he is taken out . This is going to sound a daft question ! Yes from me lol . But surely Putin doesn’t just have the final say about decisions ? Surely it’s a collective decision. Or is any dissent “ dealt “ with accordingly ? 

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Taliban trolling Vlad now...

Imagine waking up in the morning and realising even the Taliban think you've gone too far.

Stop posting twitter stuff ! Only BBC please 🙏 😂

joondalupjambo
23 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So you'd have us do nothing. Tens of thousands are likely to die if the Ukranians fight street to street, and it looks like they will. The European Economy will crash and eventually Putin will extend his territory elsewhere, unless the Russian people kick him out. Meanwhile we'll be opening more transgender toilets and legislating against nasty comments.

Accordingly to the UK Government we are not doing nothing.  Refer to their statements and agree or disagree with them.  That is the position we are at right at this moment in time in relation to assistance.

We cannot send fighting troops, or take any military action within Ukraine otherwise we risk starting a wider war and that would be insane given the possible repercussions.

However we will be in a war if Russia goes into any NATO country. Make no mistake, whether we all like it or not Ukraine will be sacrificed to at least try to ensure a wider peace.  None of us know for sure what Russia will do after taking Ukraine but we have to hope that it is nothing more in terms of any more land grabs. The politicians across all countries will hope the tough sanctions work and this, I believe is their current thinking and what they are banking on.

As for the economic reprecussions we face then if Russia take control of Ukraine and stop there then those can hopefully be limited.  As for loss of live in the Ukraine at the moment nothing can be done. These are our UK Government positions.  Do I like it?  No but realistically nobody can do anything.  Hard to hear stuff, heartbreaking but what else can realistically be done.

Edited by joondalupjambo

The Mighty Thor

I see the logic and group think of the Coronavirus thread has migrated to this thread. 

Gender neutral toilets.

Wokeness

Nasty comments.

Lefty types.  

:tlj:

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

So are you saying you can't head to Minsk to broker the peace talks?

No I’ve got a date tomorrow ! Priorities ! 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I see the logic and group think of the Coronavirus thread has migrated to this thread. 

Gender neutral toilets.

Wokeness

Nasty comments.

Lefty types.  

I think it was a couple of your “ mates “ who started the “ nasty “ comments as per usual 

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

So are you saying you can't head to Minsk to broker the peace talks?

Someone earlier said 500 helmets from jkb were sent to Ukraine, just our luck that he's not one of them. 😟

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gender neutral toilets.

Wokeness

Nasty comments.

Lefty types.  

Same names as well. Embarrassing

24 minutes ago, windsor1874 said:

Where was this level of outrage 8 years ago? Where was all the criticism and sanctions then? There wasn't the outrage because there was far too many naive Putin sympathisers. The lefty types who believe the UK/USA are wrong regardless of what they do.

If you let a bully test the waters and get away with it once, they'll do it again.

Lefty types ?

🥴

Good to see you’ve done your homework on the recent history of Ukraine since 2014 and the, y’know, overthrow of Vlad’s man and the creation of proto states in the South and East.

Throw the the West’s support for that and it’s good work all round in your post.

Well done !
👍

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gender neutral toilets.

Wokeness

Nasty comments.

Lefty types.  

Unfortunate levels of intolerance regardless of the topic or thread.

Just now, Debut 4 said:

Give Ukraine a rattle to scare them, get them round the table and they agree to neutrality, keeping them away from NATO and Russia pull

out?

Was that Mad Putin’s motive all along? 👀

Think Russia didn't expect such a defence so will want these talks now. He probably expected to have major cities surrounded by now

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Accordingly to the UK Government we are not doing nothing.  Refer to their statements and agree or disagree with them.  That is the position we are at right at this moment in time in relation to assistance.

We cannot send fighting troops, or take any military action within Ukraine otherwise we risk starting a wider war and that would be insane given the possible repercussions.

However we will be in a war if Russia goes into any NATO country. Make no mistake, whether we all like it or not Ukraine will be sacrificed to at least try to ensure a wider peace.  None of us know for sure what Russia will do after taking Ukraine but we have to hope that it is nothing more in terms of any more land grabs. The politicians across all countries will hope the tough sanctions work and this, I believe is their current thinking and what they are banking on.

As for the economic reprecussions we face then if Russia take control of Ukraine and stop there then those can hopefully be limited.  As for loss of live in the Ukraine at the moment nothing can be done. These are our UK Government positions.  Do I like it?  No but realistically nobody can do nothing.  Hard to hear stuff, heartbreaking but what else can realistically be done.

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gender neutral toilets.

Wokeness

Nasty comments.

Lefty types.  

So you have

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

RT saying that Ukraine has stopped all diplomatic relations with Russia so might be tough.

Just hope the suggestion of a delegation and talks is genuine and not another chess move by Putin.

1 minute ago, Steak said:

Think Russia didn't expect such a defence so will want these talks now. He probably expected to have major cities surrounded by now

Think he might have been surprised by the level of outcry from Russian people too?

30 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So you'd have us do nothing. Tens of thousands are likely to die if the Ukranians fight street to street, and it looks like they will. The European Economy will crash and eventually Putin will extend his territory elsewhere, unless the Russian people kick him out. Meanwhile we'll be opening more transgender toilets and legislating against nasty comments.

HeartsandonlyHearts
48 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Exactly it’s disgusting that we are doing **** all 

Martin Niemoller words come to mind.

You need to wonder if Ukraine is only Putin’s first stop.

3 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Think he might have been surprised by the level of outcry from Russian people too?

Don't think he's too bothered about that. He wants to write his name into history so a 'victory' is his priority.

Gotta feel bad for the thousands of young Russians who have died for him.

So sad

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Your lack of knowledge is second only to your lack of self awareness.

7425BC06-4812-4ED3-9E0D-4CB0CEDF0D7C.gif

7 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I'm glad your so eager to sign up... However I'm draft age (if it came to that) and that what scares me the most. If that happens most normal people who are made to fight will probably die. Everyone I know bar parents would have to fight. Iv only just started living for myself... I don't want to die for someone else.

To each his own, I was draft age once but signed up before I became that age, I served 20 months of my time on Active Duty, and have the medal to prove it. I am not offering anyone elses son or daughter, and I don't know if I inferred that, but at my age I certainly have no fear of death but I am still a pretty active man, if the need ever arose, I would as I have done as a young man raise my hand to my forehead and say Yes Sir, I am ready. When you enter a fight be it as a person a soldier or a policeman, you go into it  with all your might, because you have been trained to do so. 

42 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Putin will not transgress into NATO territories just as he knows we are unable to join the fight alongside the Ukranians. The red lines have not changed and if anything, his desire for a fractured NATO, almost realised with Trump in charge, has backfired as he has instead steeled our resolve.

Would you prefer we were like Russia where we imprison and oppress LGBT+ persons instead? This tolerance we have does not make us weak and has bugger all to do with our inability to act.

Can we please have rational debate on this thread instead of pathetic culture war nonsense.  🙄

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Yep with no help coming because we are too scared of the implications if we do help. 

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Within a few weeks there will be no choice for NATO. This is pretty obvious, but in the meantime we will see Ukranians fight their last breath on the Streets while we all slag off Johnson and Biden on social media.

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Exactly it’s disgusting that we are doing **** all 

50 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

I know that. It’s shit that we can just allow someone to wipe out a country unchallenged 

43 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So what's the option then boys?

The UK has at best 10,000 combat troops to send to Ukraine, then what? Conscription?

Can you imagine if they called up everyone from 18-41? (as the UK did in WWII)

The government asked for people to wear a face mask in shops to prevent the spread of an airborne virus and that age group lost their shit.

Can you genuinely imagine the critical thinkers on here being given a gun then fired into the back of a APC to face 190,000 full time, battle hardened Russian troops in Kyiv or Odessa?

Lols.

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Putin will not transgress into NATO territories just as he knows we are unable to join the fight alongside the Ukranians. The red lines have not changed and if anything, his desire for a fractured NATO, almost realised with Trump in charge, has backfired as he has instead steeled our resolve.

Would you prefer we were like Russia where we imprison and oppress LGBT+ persons instead? This tolerance we have does not make us weak and has bugger all to do with our inability to act.

Can we please have rational debate on this thread instead of pathetic culture war nonsense.  🙄

You are on the wrong thread, mate.

If someone had said, at the beginning of this thread, there would be disagreements about gender neutral toilets, I would have said probably in a resigned manner !

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Chances are there are people in Ukraine right now of a similar age to you, people who saw WW2 pass by, and now this. Makes you wonder how many took up the offer of weapons when it was made. Are millions of the population armed? 

have seen video of grannies accepting and being shown how to use a machine gun. 

Never been exposed to that form of attack, but over the years have seen many reports of hostility where the aged have volunteered or been drafted in to bolster numbers. There is a time in life I have found where death is so imminent life actually loses its value, a terrific attitude for a soldier.

The UK has at best 10,000 combat troops to send to Ukraine, then what? Conscription?

The government asked for people to wear a face mask in shops to prevent the spread of an airborne virus and that age group lost their shit.

Can you genuinely imagine the critical thinkers on here being given a gun then fired into the back of a APC to face 190,000 full time, battle hardened Russian troops in Kyiv or Odessa?

Lols.

Nice to see you find it so ****ing funny 

If NATO directly intervenes in Ukraine, it only adds weight to Putin's batshit conspiracy theories and will bolter domestic support for the war in Russia.

NATO protects NATO members. 

Ukraine is not a NATO member.

Yes, NATO did bomb Yugoslavia under the pretext of "threats of a wider regional destabilisation" but as of right now, that is not a threat in Ukraine.

If the current conflict does spread, the only place it can spread to ARE NATO member states.

And even a deranged Putin won't risk that.

20 minutes ago, graygo said:

Russia blaming France for scuppering peace talks, that that daft Tory bint off the hook then

French elections coming up.  Putin hoping Macron loses and a Eurosceptic voted in (maybe a far-right candidate) to de-stabilise the EU further.

Lols.

I can think of one (now absent) critical thinker who would merrily declare war without having any combat personnel and minimal hardware and would glibly announce that it's just up to the government to produce them all out of thin air.

Then a regular (never absent) thought vacuum would say "yes good posting E***".

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

French elections coming up.  Putin hoping Macron loses and a Eurosceptic voted in (maybe a far-right candidate) to de-stabilise the EU further.

The EU is hopeless in situations like this

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Nice to see you find it so ****ing funny 

What I find funny is your repeated assertion that we should 'do something' militarily. You've had about 4 or 5 goes at it and not once has anyone said 'aye your right mate lets bomb the shit out of them'.

Have you thought why? Has the thought crossed your mind that people far smarter than you and I can see that would be a monumentally stupid idea which would probably result in an existential fireball?

Francis Albert

I have seen old pictures of newspaper front pages on the outbreak of WW1 and WW2. No pictures, not even black and white ones. Small headlines and copious small font text. 

Even some other news!

Today's papers on what I strongly believe will prove in the context of the last 130 odd years to be a small skirmish have gone absolutely crazy. The age of the internet, social media and multiple 24 hour new channels and radio talk shows have turned us into bad news and crisis addicts. Brexit, Climate Change, Covid, Ukraine. What next?

Petrol station crews already forming.

23 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Give Ukraine a rattle to scare them, get them round the table and they agree to neutrality, keeping them away from NATO and Russia pull

out?

Was that Mad Putin’s motive all along? 👀

From reading up on this, informed commentators such as Admiral Savridis (ex Supreme Allied Command of NATO) suggest the following goals: 

- Force Ukraine and the west to acknowledge Russian sovereignty over Crimea
- Crreate a land bridge between Russia & Crimea by anexing Donetsk & Luhansk
- Have Ukraine as an allied state to Russia within Russian influence
- Prevent Ukraine from joining NATO & EU
- Demonstrate Russian/his strength to the west and particularly to Jinping (one reason why sanctions won't work is China will lend Russia even more capital)
- Make Biden look weak in order to get the Moscow assets (basically the entire GOP at this point) back in power at the next election
- Demand a veto on any NATO expansion

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

What I find funny is your repeated assertion that we should 'do something' militarily. You've had about 4 or 5 goes at it and not once has anyone said 'aye your right mate lets bomb the shit out of them'.

Have you thought why? Has the thought crossed your mind that people far smarter than you and I can see that would be a monumentally stupid idea which would probably result in an existential fireball?

I think you’ll find I acknowledged that it’s not a great idea.  

You come over as a total arsehole and a ***** 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

In a world where porn is freely available on the internet, WTF would anyone pay to see Kerry Katona's dirty pics? :rofl: 

I got sent them off a friend and they were good. She has a bit of a milf look about her.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Better than a fragmented Europe

it is but it has to be said that the best anyone can say about the EU is that the alternatives are worse. It’s not much of a publicity slogan

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I can think of one (now absent) critical thinker who would merrily declare war without having any combat personnel and minimal hardware and would glibly announce that it's just up to the government to produce them all out of thin air.

Then a regular (never absent) thought vacuum would say "yes good posting E***".

'You'll need a gas mask'

'what! i'm no wearing a gas mask, biological weapons don't affect me, I bleach my ration packs'

Pick a subject. Any subject. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

I think you’ll find I acknowledged that it’s not a great idea.  

You come over as a total arsehole and a ***** 

All of things but not a ****ing idiot. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

Better than a fragmented Europe

It isn't really. Unanimity in many decisions means the EU can't respond effectively for example by expelling Russia from the Swift bank clearance system.  Itallian and French banks are major lenders to Russia and want to leave open the channel which might get them repaid. As for Germany and gas supplies - it wouldn't even allow the UK and US to overfly German airspace to get equipment to Ukraine.

21 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

:clap::clap::clap: Some sense, thanks Gizmo.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine