Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

il Duce McTarkin
36 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Can we please have rational debate on this thread instead of pathetic culture war nonsense.  🙄

:rofl:

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth

I forgot I had the webcam of Kiev city centre on in the background and I was on the phone to someone there when the air raid sirens went off, it sent chills right through me, what a ****ing horrible thing to have to hear. 

32 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Putin will not transgress into NATO territories just as he knows we are unable to join the fight alongside the Ukranians. The red lines have not changed and if anything, his desire for a fractured NATO, almost realised with Trump in charge, has backfired as he has instead steeled our resolve.

Would you prefer we were like Russia where we imprison and oppress LGBT+ persons instead? This tolerance we have does not make us weak and has bugger all to do with our inability to act.

Can we please have rational debate on this thread instead of pathetic culture war nonsense.  🙄

I've been raising this for years, and I don't remember you jumping into the argument. All I see on here is Social Fascists making veiled homophobic jokes towards our gay contributors, and patting Putin on the head. There are people in Ukraine collecting weapons to fight Russian troops on the streets. These people will be from all backgrounds, genders and sexualities and, quite frankly, using the oppression of LGBT people to argue against military support is way beyond pathetic. 

PS - Putin will recognise the red lines? 🤣

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Russia appear to be open to talks. 

Obviously things will be very much on their terms, but a possible ray of light?

As always the devil is in the detail.

Russia are indeed open to holding peace talks in Minsk, however before that happens the Russians want the Ukrainians to surrender and a full demilitarization to take place in Ukraine.

In other words surrender first then we'll have peace talks.

I have seen in some news releases today that Putin has raised the nuclear option if challenged militarily. I don't think even the Russian people are interested in using that option, he could well end up being removed and Gulaged himself. But my main concern is the entry of China into this whole mess.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Russia are indeed open to holding peace talks in Minsk, however before that happens the Russians want the Ukrainians to surrender and a full demilitarization to take place in Ukraine.

If they really want it I'm sure they'd agree to a ceasefire.

Will be an interesting 12 hours

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I have seen in some news releases today that Putin has raised the nuclear option if challenged militarily. I don't think even the Russian people are interested in using that option, he could well end up being removed and Gulaged himself. But my main concern is the entry of China into this whole mess.

He's hinted it a few times. It's probably just to put NATO off crossing the border but you never know with this psycho.

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

If he was to go down that route I doubt that the Russian public would have much say in the matter unfortunately. He won't be consulting them.

3 minutes ago, Steak said:

He's hinted it a few times. It's probably just to put NATO off crossing the border but you never know with this psycho.

Hopefully he's using the term "nuclear deterrent" the way it should be used.

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When the Ukranians start circularing the video currently on Sky's twitter feed their people might decide otherwise.

I'm not putting it up.

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

When the Ukranians start circularing the video currently on Sky's twitter feed their people might decide otherwise.

I'm not putting it up.

The tank flattening the car? Not sure RT spins that one.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm not putting it up.

Are you talking about the car and tank one? 

Yep, civilian car moves over to the far lane to try and pass the oncoming tank, the tank turns and follows it over to that side of the road and flattens it with the driver still inside (who somehow survives).

Edited by Ray Gin

16 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I've been raising this for years, and I don't remember you jumping into the argument. All I see on here is Social Fascists making veiled homophobic jokes towards our gay contributors, and patting Putin on the head. There are people in Ukraine collecting weapons to fight Russian troops on the streets. These people will be from all backgrounds, genders and sexualities and, quite frankly, using the oppression of LGBT people to argue against military support is way beyond pathetic. 

PS - Putin will recognise the red lines? 🤣

You posted this:  "Meanwhile we'll be opening more transgender toilets and legislating against nasty comments."

I've literally no clue what your latest post means, considering your previous post you appear to be at complete odds with yourself. 

AT NO TIME did I argue against military support from an "LGBT+" position. What a moronic inference. 🙄 

I'm not getting further dragged into whatever moronic game you are playing. 

AlphonseCapone
14 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I don't see China enter this. They'll support Russia to an extent through words, but they won't risk their own security or lives for a Russian war. They'll watch closely to see how the West reacts and use it as part of their own analysis when it comes to Taiwan. 

At the end of the day, China agrees with the general Russian attitude towards the West but its continued development is also dependent on the West's money so they walk a fine line.

Their ideal world is one where both Russia and the West weaken each other and they continue to strengthen themselves. 

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't see China enter this. They'll support Russia to an extent through words, but they won't risk their own security or lives for a Russian war. They'll watch closely to see how the West reacts and use it as part of their own analysis when it comes to Taiwan. 

At the end of the day, China agrees with the general Russian attitude towards the West but its continued development is also dependent on the West's money so they walk a fine line.

Their ideal world is one where both Russia and the West weaken each other and they continue to strengthen themselves. 

China’s Xi urges Putin to settle conflict with talks

https://www.ft.com/content/93554a7e-f974-49fc-85ba-c111d253b002

The Chinese president has urged Vladimir Putin to resolve the conflict with Ukraine “through negotiations” as the Russian army intensified its invasion.

Xi Jinping told his Russian counterpart to use “balanced negotiations” in a phone call on Friday, the first publicised meeting between the two leaders since Putin’s visit to Beijing during the Winter Olympics.

The Chinese president reiterated that Beijing respects all countries’ sovereignty and territorial integrity, without elaborating on whether Russia’s invasion of Ukraine violated these principles.

Edited by Ray Gin

23 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm not putting it up.

Sky showing the footage on their main bulletin now.

chuck berrys hairline
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Vlad sending in the Chechan Paramilitaries. 

This was the video i screenshotted earlier. They were all stationed and ready to go at 9:30 our time this morning. I wonder if they have reached their destination yet. Why can't Ukraine use missiles and weaken transport links en-route to Kyiv to stop them advancing. I thought the UK sent over some tech!

1 minute ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

This was the video i screenshotted earlier. They were all stationed and ready to go at 9:30 our time this morning. I wonder if they have reached their destination yet. Why can't Ukraine use missiles and weaken transport links en-route to Kyiv to stop them advancing. I thought the UK sent over some tech!

The UK sent defensive weapons only, although surely the Ukrainian army has offensive weapons/missiles already in their arsenal.

chuck berrys hairline

Melitipol has just fallen to the Russians. Also new intelligence released say that the Russian Air Force will concentrate on the Kherson direction tonight!

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Better than a fragmented Europe

I can't think of many clubs more fragmented than the EU at times.

Tennant's  6's
1 hour ago, Cade said:

If NATO directly intervenes in Ukraine, it only adds weight to Putin's batshit conspiracy theories and will bolter domestic support for the war in Russia.

NATO protects NATO members. 

Ukraine is not a NATO member.

Yes, NATO did bomb Yugoslavia under the pretext of "threats of a wider regional destabilisation" but as of right now, that is not a threat in Ukraine.

If the current conflict does spread, the only place it can spread to ARE NATO member states.

And even a deranged Putin won't risk that.

NATO does more than just protect it's members.

It was active in bombing Libya back to the stone age & were in Syria & Iraq,  Afghanistan as well I'm sure. 

And i heard one commentator describing one of the main roles of NATO, some £7b in arms sales since new members joined. 

Putin with his narcissistic tough guy bravado seems to be in a game of brinkmanship to get NATO away from Russia,  with awful consequences. 

Must be hellish living in places like Ukraine,  Syria, Yemen right now, under constant attack.

Fitzroy Pointon

I seen footage of a soldier at a government building in Donetsk taking a Ukraine flag down and replacing it with another flag. Similar to the Russian flag but with a black stripe instead of white. Anyone have any idea what the flag is? 

Tennant's  6's
53 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I heard a journalist, independent not MSN, saying that Chinese jets have been flying over Taiwan. 

With the belt & road infrastructure/ debt pienage system in place, it seems that the multipolar world is back on.

I can't imagine that russia would've taken such a risk to do this without speaking with Beijing first. 

Just hope that it's sanctions,  not bombs,  that is the retaliatory response.

9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I seen footage of a soldier at a government building in Donetsk taking a Ukraine flag down and replacing it with another flag. Similar to the Russian flag but with a black stripe instead of white. Anyone have any idea what the flag is? 

Donetsk People's Republic

Klitschko brothers and Usyk all taking up arms to defend their home Ukraine. Say what you want but these guys are millionaires and don’t have to be risking their lives but are. 

(arguably Vitali maybe has to since he is the mayor of Kyiv. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Peace talks in a country that supported and facilitated the invasion.

Jambo_jim2001
44 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It was his boxers,the black strip was actually brown😉tbh mate I don't know 👍

1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Do you know the location of this , where was it shot. I follow quite a few Ukrainian outlets on Twitter and none of them has this. 

Tennant's  6's
6 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Putin now warning Finland or Sweden not to join NATO or they will “serious consequences” 

That is mental if true. 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Russia booted out of both the Council of Europe and the eurovision song contest

Where will the Belorussian douze points go now, I wonder.

44 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Klitschko brothers and Usyk all taking up arms to defend their home Ukraine. Say what you want but these guys are millionaires and don’t have to be risking their lives but are. 

(arguably Vitali maybe has to since he is the mayor of Kyiv. 

Someone mentioned earlier that the president of Ukraine could possibly be executed should Kyiv fall. Surely Klitschko wouldn’t be at risk, despite being the mayor of said city? 

Tennant's  6's
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why don't the west put a price on Putin's head.  $100+ million would do it.

With Russia bombing Ukraine,  Israel bombing Syria,  Saudi Arabia bombing Yemen,  US bombing Somalia  the world is in a shitstorm. 

8 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Putin now warning Finland or Sweden not to join NATO or they will “serious consequences” 

Has there been any talk from them of joining NATO?  I thought they were both resolutely neutral?

46 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

I heard a journalist, independent not MSN, saying that Chinese jets have been flying over Taiwan. 

With the belt & road infrastructure/ debt pienage system in place, it seems that the multipolar world is back on.

I can't imagine that russia would've taken such a risk to do this without speaking with Beijing first. 

Just hope that it's sanctions,  not bombs,  that is the retaliatory response.

That was one of the news items I heard last night. We here on the west coast are deemed to be in this modern day quite close to China, we have especially in he Richmond area where I lived a large  population of Chinese who have basically taken control of a large area, don't get me wrong the Chinese people I have known and met are excellent people but just like everyone else they have politicians.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Russia booted out of both the Council of Europe and the eurovision song contest

Sport and the singing people more decisive than the politicians, albeit the sanctions could end up being serious. 

Just now, FWJ said:

Has there been any talk from them of joining NATO?  I thought they were both resolutely neutral?

Correct.

More fake news from Putin.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine