Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Europe and the US had their chance with Crimea. The inaction then proved to the Russians how weak our position is/was.

All the while, we were being sweetened with Russian money coming in to the country. Putin and his mates knew exactly what they were doing.

1 minute ago, Steak said:

Head of NATO said they were bolstering borders so no shock

Certainly makes sense for the Baltic states, although Latvia haven't said anything yet and Estonia seem surprisingly calm. Lithuania the only one though who border both nations so make sense that they'd be extra cautious. Wonder if Poland will deploy military to watch their borders too.

Just now, Locky said:

Certainly makes sense for the Baltic states, although Latvia haven't said anything yet and Estonia seem surprisingly calm. Lithuania the only one though who border both nations so make sense that they'd be extra cautious. Wonder if Poland will deploy military to watch their borders too.

Thought I heard on the news that Estonia and Poland have done the same.

maroonlegions
Just now, Locky said:

All the while, we were being sweetened with Russian money coming in to the country. Putin and his mates knew exactly what they were doing.

And thats why BOJO the clown offered very little in any sanctions against Russia at the start of this. Look closer to home who are involved in with  russia"s money funding the Tory party and other shady organisations.

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Pretty sure that's from a video game

It is, you can just make out a alien spaceship in it too..

:vrface:

11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You don't have to fire them, just show they're ready and willing. Anyway, I don't think Russia has as many as they say they do. Or they're probably older than sin.

Eh ?

Both sides know each other's capabilities equally well and conduct operations continually to let each other know they are ready.

Has been happening for decades.

In terms of readiness, think minutes !

32 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I've just read the below quote so not sure what sanctions we could do that would readily defer Russia.

At best this is a short term win for Russia and maybe longer term if we pivot to renewable and nuclear we can harm Russis economically but that could take years.

China as well will be lapping this up.

Absolute scumbags. The world faces an existential threat with climate change so let's throw some genocide and impoverishment into the mix rather than sorting that out.

"The Kremlin could sever all gas flows to Europe – 41pc of the EU’s supply – for two years or more without running into serious financial buffers."

I would seriously doubt that. 

I know Russia pays £2 billion to Ukraine a year to allow a gas pipe to flow into Europe. I don’t think this is about resources anymore and more about Putin wanting to cement his place in history by restoring the USSR. 

SectionDJambo

It’s clearly too late for Ukraine now. The western powers, far from being a threat and aggressive towards Putin have been extremely complacent in allowing him to make them heavily reliant on Russian energy and complicit in money laundering for him and his corrupt mates. They’ve allowed him to build up resources to be able to withstand the immediate effects of any sanctions, other than making life different for his mates, who have been able to live and travel within Europe. All of which has happened when NATO countries have shrunk their armed forces.

He said he didn’t want NATO on his doorstep. That is the only option to NATO now. Heavily reinforce the borders with Russia and Belarus and make it clear that any attempt to break through those borders will be met with significant resistance. The western governments have to get together both internally and externally to ensure that the sanctions are in place for many years to come, not just until an election changes a government. Putin and Xi have a huge advantage in being able to plan ahead for decades. Western democracies have changed tack with different leaders taking over. That has to stop.

My worry is that Putin wouldn’t care about starting a nuclear conflict. He’s old and deranged. He’s lived his life and probably doesn’t care about what happens now.

Just now, Des Lynam said:

I would seriously doubt that. 

I know Russia pays £2 billion to Ukraine a year to allow a gas pipe to flow into Europe. I don’t think this is about resources anymore and more about Putin wanting to cement his place in history by restoring the USSR. 

Was more meaning the ability of sanctions to make Russia pause or rail back on its actions.

I agree this is likely about restoring the old Soviet Union and also from a military strategical angle i.e. no NATO in Ukraine but instead a puppet state or subsumed into Russia.

17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You don't have to fire them, just show they're ready and willing. Anyway, I don't think Russia has as many as they say they do. Or they're probably older than sin.

Doesn't matter how many the Russians or anybody else has, as it would only take about a dozen or so to make most/all of Europe uninhabitable for the next 1000 years, for any survivors.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Fecking dae something, America!?

I honestly believe that America is hesitant to move too comprehensively because they have an eye on China, certain times you will get a wee news snippet about something the Chinese are hinting about moving on Taiwan. The ominous silent threat only mentioned lightly is the Nuclear option. These are dangerous times. You know sometimes becoming old has its benefits.

Just now, Costanza said:

Was more meaning the ability of sanctions to make Russia pause or rail back on its actions.

I agree this is likely about restoring the old Soviet Union and also from a military strategical angle i.e. no NATO in Ukraine but instead a puppet state or subsumed into Russia.

Yeah I think you’re right regarding sanctions. They’ve been living with them long enough now it barely matters. I can’t believe they’ve declared war on Ukraine. The lesson learned for me is suspicion of the MSM is just as dangerous as ignoring what they say. 

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Russia no longer hosting the champions league final 

You can imagine Putin and co pissing themselves laughing at the Western response. 

What’s next? Relegate Chelsea to the Championship? 

I'm just not convinced that the domestic politicians in the west, would put boots on the ground to fight for the Baltic states, regardless of NATO. But that then does raise the question, where would the redlines be drawn, Poland? East Germany? 

This has all been building for sometime, from the flow of dirty Russian money in the UK, to using social media manipulation to achieve Brexit and get Trump elected. 

All clear as day Russian strategic objectives:

Destabilise the US

Isolate the UK

Fragment the EU

Weaken NATO.

Just now, Des Lynam said:

Yeah I think you’re right regarding sanctions. They’ve been living with them long enough now it barely matters. I can’t believe they’ve declared war on Ukraine. The lesson learned for me is suspicion of the MSM is just as dangerous as ignoring what they say. 

They apparently have reserves of over $600bn and their debt is about 20%GDP so I can only think going after individuals close to the regime and harming them financially and restricting their travel will bring any pressure on Putin but I doubt that will halt any of this in any case.

4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It’s clearly too late for Ukraine now. The western powers, far from being a threat and aggressive towards Putin have been extremely complacent in allowing him to make them heavily reliant on Russian energy and complicit in money laundering for him and his corrupt mates. They’ve allowed him to build up resources to be able to withstand the immediate effects of any sanctions

My worry is that Putin wouldn’t care about starting a nuclear conflict. He’s old and deranged. He’s lived his life and probably doesn’t care about what happens now.

Yes, that's why I said things have to change now, wer have to review how much trade the West has with Russia from now on.

I think you are right and I do wonder if Putin is ill, maybe even dying, therefore doesn't give a shit about the World anymore.

16 minutes ago, Steak said:

Thought I heard on the news that Estonia and Poland have done the same.

Just read Estonia saying they weren't fearing anything at the moment on the BBC ticker but would make sense if they follow suit.

15 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

And thats why BOJO the clown offered very little in any sanctions against Russia at the start of this. Look closer to home who are involved in with  russia"s money funding the Tory party and other shady organisations.

Yup. Don't want to get too political, but its madness that this was going on especially since 2014. Clearly there was a lot of head turning tactics involved from Russian oligarches to keep Britain on a leash.

maroonlegions

Was the Ukraine not involved in some kind of civil war with neo nazis influenced political parties?? 

Is this a reason why Putin is acting now ,outhwith Ukraine joining NATO.

4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

You can imagine Putin and co pissing themselves laughing at the Western response. 

What’s next? Relegate Chelsea to the SPFL? 

Ftfy, that'll put the fear of God into them!

What a situation though, fingers crossed it doesn't escalate more

Howdy Doody Jambo
Just now, Martin_T said:

I'm just not convinced that the domestic politicians in the west, would put boots on the ground to fight for the Baltic states, regardless of NATO. But that then does raise the question, where would the redlines be drawn, Poland? East Germany? 

This has all been building for sometime, from the flow of dirty Russian money in the UK, to using social media manipulation to achieve Brexit and get Trump elected. 

Destabilise the US

Isolate the UK

Fragment the EU

Weaken NATO.

And we are funding there assault by buying up their gas supplies paying huge prices now because of greenwashing policy's net zero pish although we have enough of our own to tap into 

Time to  stockpile bog roll again 

Makes you wonder would this have kicked off if Trumpy was still in the whitehoose 

Mind how we all keep saying that Italy is an economic basket case?

Italy has a higher GDP than Russia.

Russia is entirely reliant on oil and gas exports for it's economy.

That's where we hit them.

Biden has already said he'd increase US exports of oil&gas to the European continent to fill any gaps in supply should Putin turn the taps off.

Maybe we should turn the taps off ourselves.

Embargo oil and gas coming out of Russia.

That'd cripple their economy in no time.

Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

And we are funding there assault by buying up their gas supplies paying huge prices now because of greenwashing policy's net zero pish although we have enough of our own to tap into 

Time to  stockpile bog roll again 

Makes you wonder would this have kicked off if Trumpy was still in the whitehoose 

He'd be giving Putin a handy j

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Mind how we all keep saying that Italy is an economic basket case?

Italy has a higher GDP than Russia.

Russia is entirely reliant on oil and gas exports for it's economy.

That's where we hit them.

Biden has already said he'd increase US exports of oil&gas to the European continent to fill any gaps in supply should Putin turn the taps off.

Maybe we should turn the taps off ourselves.

Embargo oil and gas coming out of Russia.

That'd cripple their economy in no time.

40% of Europe's gas comes from Russia, and we're at the far end of Europe.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

40% of Europe's gas comes from Russia, and we're at the far end of Europe.

Silver lining might be this helps expedite the transition to renewables

Though in reality that probably means Boris standing next to a solar powered missile

When Johnson talks of sanctions , this should tell you how serious he is about tightening up on Russian money.

It's an absolute scandal.

It's a long listen but some humorous moments amongst the depressing  litany of willful neglect by the Tories to clean up the City of London. 

12 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Destabilise the US

Isolate the UK

Fragment the EU

Weaken NATO.

UK troops are there now. 

Trump has been slavering over this all week, saying he wishes he'd done something similar on the US southern border when he was in charge.

Yep, that ****** is openly saying he wished he'd invaded and annexed parts of Mexico.

:rofl:

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

deleted.

Edited by NANOJAMBO

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

UK troops are there now. 

Huge difference between being 'there' and firing a shot in anger.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There's talk of Belarus merging with Russia. Maybe that's the plan for Ukraine. 

Certainly seems as though Old Vlad wants to get the old band back together. Belarus well onside, and no doubt others will be too. If Ukraine do get rolled over though, then the big question is, who's next?

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trump has been slavering over this all week, saying he wishes he'd done something similar on the US southern border when he was in charge.

Yep, that ****** is openly saying he wished he'd invaded and annexed parts of Mexico.

:rofl:

The rest of Mexico, you mean. They already have stolen half of it.

Edited by ri Alban

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

What’s next? Relegate Chelsea to the Championship? 

It might seem to be a pathetic gesture but the Russians and Chinese have always used sporting events to either showcase their countries as the model the world should follow, or to cheat by drug use to show the world how physically superior they are. I know that others have used drugs over the years but the old Soviet controlled countries were easily the worst.

Russia and Belarus should be immediately excluded from any sports, worldwide, whether hosting or taking part. No point in having economic sanctions but allowing them to carry on as normal in other world affairs and events. The Russians have shown complete disrespect for the right of others to live their lives in freedom. Time to show them what it's like.

I would extend the ban to Russian tourists holidaying anywhere in the world but in the few countries who think they are an acceptable member of humanity.

56 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Would they though? It's never really properly been tested.

My fear is Realpolitik comes into play and if such an invasion were to occur and such countries would be deemed not worth fighting for.

If we discount a nuclear holocaust arising* from a concerted NATO/European "boots on the ground" approach, does anyone think there's an appetite for getting involved in what would become a European version of Syria ?  Ukraine will be abandoned, that's the sad fact. 

How many of us knew Ukraine had nuclear missiles until 1994 - when it surrendered them to the Russians ? 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

It might seem to be a pathetic gesture but the Russians and Chinese have always used sporting events to either showcase their countries as the model the world should follow, or to cheat by drug use to show the world how physically superior they are. I know that others have used drugs over the years but the old Soviet controlled countries were easily the worst.

Russia and Belarus should be immediately excluded from any sports, worldwide, whether hosting or taking part. No point in having economic sanctions but allowing them to carry on as normal in other world affairs and events. The Russians have shown complete disrespect for the right of others to live their lives in freedom. Time to show them what it's like.

I would extend the ban to Russian tourists holidaying anywhere in the world but in the few countries who think they are an acceptable member of humanity.

They should be banned from everything. The WC, Euros, Champions league etc... Olympics, world championships of other sports. Everything.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

If we discount a nuclear holocaust arising from a concerted NATO/European "boots on the ground" approach, does anyone think there's an appetite for getting involved in what would become a European version of Syra ?  Ukraine will be abandoned, that's the sad fact. 

So every ***** can invade any *****, coz we don't want to start a nuclear war. What's the point, if you can't live without fear. You're better off dead, while taking these ***** out.

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

They should be banned from everything. The WC, Euros, Champions league etc... Olympics, world championships of other sports. Everything.

Spot on

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine