Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

The EU struggling to get an agreement on banning Russian Oil. Understandable when countries rely heavily on it to function.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vladimir Putin is said to be bracing for an attempted coup as frustrated generals and the Federal Security Service (FSB) look to oust him.

Rumours are running rife in the Kremlin that several former generals and KGB officials want to end the war in Ukraine and get rid of Putin.

It comes as many in Russia see the invasion as a mistake and an economic disaster for the country, it has been reported.

The FSB is said to be so annoyed with the lack of military progress that they've contacted generals and former army officials, according to local media reports.

A group made up of former FSB officers called the "Siloviki" are said to be working together with former officers from other Russian intelligence units to try and push 69-year-old Putin out.

Lone Striker
46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If the stories are true, Nikolai Patrushev will take over if/when Putin is incapacitated, he's the head of the FSB and is even more of a barsteward than Putin is, a real nasty piece of work by all accounts.

35 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Vladimir Putin is said to be bracing for an attempted coup as frustrated generals and the Federal Security Service (FSB) look to oust him.

Rumours are running rife in the Kremlin that several former generals and KGB officials want to end the war in Ukraine and get rid of Putin.

It comes as many in Russia see the invasion as a mistake and an economic disaster for the country, it has been reported.

The FSB is said to be so annoyed with the lack of military progress that they've contacted generals and former army officials, according to local media reports.

A group made up of former FSB officers called the "Siloviki" are said to be working together with former officers from other Russian intelligence units to try and push 69-year-old Putin out.

Even if true, the country looks like remaining in the grip of the FSB (or former KGB) - which means continued corruption and manipulation of so-called democracy within Russia, and a continuing threat to countries on Russia's western border.      Grim stuff. 

1 hour ago, Imaman said:

The EU struggling to get an agreement on banning Russian Oil. Understandable when countries rely heavily on it to function.

Hungary playing the wank, yet again.

It's taken the entire war to convince Germany to wean itself off Russian fossil fuels but they're slowly coming around.

1 hour ago, Imaman said:

Another Russian Civil War on the cards.

As much as we'd love that to be true, i still think that is very far off. He is still very popular. I guess though, as Cade said, it would be civil war.

13 hours ago, coconut doug said:

What about the vote you referred to in in the Donbass? Are you able to provide evidence for the detail you claimed? Most elections are covered on Wikipaedia but i can't find one for the outcomes you quote. Should i take your election results seriously?

This was your statement  

Crimea (and Sevastopol), Luhansk and Donetsk expressed a clear democratic wish to be part of an independent Ukraine.  The results in Crimea (and Sevastopol) could potentially be open to argument because of a low turnout.  But that's not the case in Donetsk or Luhansk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Ukrainian_independence_referendum

https://soviethistory.msu.edu/1991-2/the-end-of-the-soviet-union/the-end-of-the-soviet-union-texts/ukrainian-independence-declaration/

12 hours ago, Imaman said:

Sadly, I read somewhere that one faction aiming to oust Putin is even more hawkish than he is and wants to end the war by increasing the bombardment.

Whatever happens, Putin will never be simply "pushed out", imo. He'll remain in charge or he'll be taken completely out of the equation.

Jambo-Jimbo
13 hours ago, Pap said:

As much as we'd love that to be true, i still think that is very far off. He is still very popular. I guess though, as Cade said, it would be civil war.

You get asked, in the street or otherwise what you think about Vladimir Putin, do you:

a) Say that he's a great leader and you support him.

or

b) Say what you really think, knowing that you'll be dragged off to the gulag in the morning.

Dictators are always popular.

Jambo-Jimbo

Seems Russia are really intent on burning their bridges and making things harder for themselves for decades to come.

There are over 500 aircraft that have been leased to Russian airlines, and Vlad isn't giving them back, he's even went as far to get them re-registered in Russia.  That's all fine and well, for now, they can fly them internally and to other 'friendly' countries, but they will need serviced & maintained and they are not going to be getting any parts or software updates from Airbus or Boeing, so those planes will one by one eventually stop working or be cannibalized to keep other planes flying.

And when Putin has met a similar fate to which Rasputin met, Russia will want to re-join the International community, that's fine, but they won't be flying anywhere as none of those planes will have a European safety certificate.  And good luck trying to lease new planes from the leasing agents :laugh: not a fecking chance.

So just one more thing that Putin has saddled Russia with, for decades to come.

Maiden Gorgie
19 hours ago, Imaman said:

it was only 105 years since the last revolution, time for another. All good if the **** gets a doing, as long as he is replaced with someone more moderate/sane

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

After hearing tonight's result, rumour has it the Sevilla local council are currently drawing up invasion plans for Portugal in a last ditch attempt to have the Europa League final taken off them by UEFA.

I suspect the rangers fans may give the Russians a lesson on how to invade a country and capture a major city. Hopefully both heading home with their tails between their legs after a comprehensive defeat. 

Captain Slog

Truly hope Putin doesn't do something stupid in the next few hours so he can boast at his parade tomorrow.  The only voctory close is Maripol, i wouldnt put it past him to gas the remaining.

Zelensky claiming Russia have killed 20,000 in Mariupol in 2 months. Twice as many as the nazis killed in 2 years of occupation in Mariupol.

Jeffros Furios

It's a shame nobody could drop a bomb on the inbreds in Red Square ,

Collection of oddballs and sexual deviants ,

A bit like anyone who supports them .

Mikey1874

Putin's speech talking about losing Crimea fits with the more limited ambition of expanding 2014 to gain full control of that area and cut off the South. 

But we'll see. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Putin's speech talking about losing Crimea fits with the more limited ambition of expanding 2014 to gain full control of that area and cut off the South. 

But we'll see. 

A stinking pile of shite it was as well, NATO was about to attack the Donbass & Russia, Russia is defending the Motherland, Ukraine was trying to aquire nukes etc etc etc, utter complete pish.

One of Putin's mouth pieces was on Sky News this morning and it was the usual pish from him, Russia is fighting Ukrainian Nazi's, Russia does not target & kill civilians, Russia only bombs military targets blah blah fecking blah.   Why do we give these lying barstewards the air time.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Russian ambassador to Poland pelted with paint bombs in Warsaw today

5379.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Seen that on the news, it's a pity as it will only give the Russians a propaganda coup, as they'll probably twist it around to claim that it's only Nazi's who would do this at an event to commemorate the defeat of the Nazi's.

I can fully understand why folks have done this, but it just plays into the Russians hands.

Sawdust Caesar

I see yet another Russian oligarch linked to the oil and gas sector has died, this time from poison from a toad. What's the old saying? "Once is happenstance, two is a coincidence, seven is a pattern."  There's gonna be none left at this rate.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen that on the news, it's a pity as it will only give the Russians a propaganda coup, as they'll probably twist it around to claim that it's only Nazi's who would do this at an event to commemorate the defeat of the Nazi's.

I can fully understand why folks have done this, but it just plays into the Russians hands.

It's a bit more clever than that. 

Regularly Russian opposition people are doused in paint. Putin's thugs do it. Whoever did that is just repeating a famous Russian tradition. A mark of respect to Putin. 

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Putin did announce more money for families of dead Russian army today. 

By leaving behind their dead soldiers the Russians will try and use that to hide the true number of their loses, and that will work, for a while at least, but what they can't hide or cover-up is the growing number of empty seats at the dinner table or the number of beds not being slept in, the growing number of wife's and mothers who can't get in touch with their sons or husbands.

Sooner or later the shit will hit the fan in Russia.

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a bit more clever than that. 

Regularly Russian opposition people are doused in paint. Putin's thugs do it. Whoever did that is just repeating a famous Russian tradition. A mark of respect to Putin. 

One thing which did stand out to me when I seen the video, is the lack of reaction from the ambassador & his security, they just stood there, that struck me as odd.  So the question is, was it a set-up.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One thing which did stand out to me when I seen the video, is the lack of reaction from the ambassador & his security, they just stood there, that struck me as odd.  So the question is, was it a set-up.

Did you hear the one about the Russian telling the truth?

Nah, of course you didn't.

Jeffros Furios
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Satire is alive 

The  Russians really are a bunch of oddballs. 

il Duce McTarkin
28 minutes ago, Imaman said:

From this to this 

CAB91C64-CDC9-4CE1-BF5B-42472524DEDA.jpeg

4254B6DF-5892-4815-8210-1FB2CDC98650.jpeg

These images of burnt out tanks and APCs don't tell the whole story, though.

A tank or APC can do a lot of damage to enemy forces before getting knocked out, and that's what we're hearing very little about.

The western media focus has been almost exclusively on civilian casualties and destroyed civilian infrastructure.

I realise that there are strategic reasons for not publicising Ukrainian military reverses, but we need to be mindful that we are not seeing the full picture.

35 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The  Russians really are a bunch of oddballs. 

The Russians are actually better known for using photos of German airmen and soldiers on billboards representing 'Soviet heroes'. 

But they are so used to using people for propaganda now. 

Edited by Mikey1874

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ukrainian women who have been raped by Russian soldiers are being refused abortions in Poland

:silviodamn:

Poland banned abortion some time ago. Though its pretty much an exception, world wide to be able to get an abortion anywhere. 

Unexpected problem fleeing in an emergency. 

Edited by Mikey1874

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

These images of burnt out tanks and APCs don't tell the whole story, though.

A tank or APC can do a lot of damage to enemy forces before getting knocked out, and that's what we're hearing very little about.

The western media focus has been almost exclusively on civilian casualties and destroyed civilian infrastructure.

I realise that there are strategic reasons for not publicising Ukrainian military reverses, but we need to be mindful that we are not seeing the full picture.

Agreed and (being picky here) the vehicles on parade are BMP 3’s, the ones burnt out are BMP 2.  You’ll note (maybe not) that the parade vehicles have what appears to be 2 main guns on the turret, which is correct, one is a 100mm semi automatic gun, the other is a 30mm fully automatic cannon, there is also a machine gun in between both, ADD to that another two bow mounted machine guns operated by another two gunners.  The main gun can also fire a missile through it with a range of 4 miles…….it’s some piece of kit (when it’s facing you😊) you can view these on YouTube.  Not sure if the Russians have deployed these in the conflict yet.  The burnt out vehicle only has one 30mm cannon………..I’m sure the Ukrainian military are well versed in scrapping Russian metal so, I’d imagine any armour in any urban environment is quite vulnerable.

Jambo-Jimbo
13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Did you hear the one about the Russian telling the truth?

Nah, of course you didn't.

I did, he was sent to the gulag for 15 yrs.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Pictures are in the wrong order. 

The first was the before, the second was after the Russians, in a show of equality, asked the tank commanders' wives to reverse park the vehicles.

Yep I couldn’t  upload them in the correct order but it showed the before and after effect of the fragility of the Russians and the effectiveness of the Ukrainian counter attack capability. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Ukrainian women who have been raped by Russian soldiers are being refused abortions in Poland

:silviodamn:

Horrendous :( 

Jambo-Jimbo
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Three more Russian army Colonels killed in the last few days.

That brings the total to over 40.

At this rate, those old codgers sitting behind Putin yesterday, will be getting sent to front line.

Are they really Army Colonels or just Putins political adversaries?...:brows:

Edited by OBE

The Ukrainian Army has reportedly split the Russian forces in two north east of Kharkiv (with an unsubstantiated report that the isolated Russians have started retreating towards the border), while the fight between Mykolaiv and Kherson is hotting up. Could be a significant week or so ahead.

il Duce McTarkin
36 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The Ukrainian Army has reportedly split the Russian forces in two north east of Kharkiv (with an unsubstantiated report that the isolated Russians have started retreating towards the border), while the fight between Mykolaiv and Kherson is hotting up. Could be a significant week or so ahead.

We might see the introduction of yon big Ivan gun that can lob tactical nuclears.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If anyone is interested in following developments, this interactive map of Ukraine shows you where very recent events have taken place:

https://liveuamap.com/

Sky News were reporting that there is a lot of fighting around Snake Island, the Russians are trying to re-inforce the garrison there, but are coming under heavy attack from the Ukrainians, especially the Russian supply lines which have to travel 180 miles from Sevastopol whilst the Ukrainians are only 30 miles from the Island.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sky News were reporting that there is a lot of fighting around Snake Island, the Russians are trying to re-inforce the garrison there, but are coming under heavy attack from the Ukrainians, especially the Russian supply lines which have to travel 180 miles from Sevastopol whilst the Ukrainians are only 30 miles from the Island.

Yup, I saw one comment that the Ukrainians will have problems if the Russians get decent anti air artillery on there due to its strategic position.

The Beeb just published an article on the fight for the island: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61406808

JudyJudyJudy
On 10/05/2022 at 14:03, Jambo-Jimbo said:

At this rate, those old codgers sitting behind Putin yesterday, will be getting sent to front line.

Lol