Inflation

jamb0_1874

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

If it's ever been right to say "Buy British" it applies to food, I'm as guilty as you and others for wanting strawberries in November and Avocado when I fancy one, if more people bought locally sourced, seasonal produce that would really help everyone. People are also really disconnected from where and how food comes from and what goes into it, I think the average (if there's such a thing) family spends less of a percentage of income on  food as any generation before.

We became dependent on the EU for food and then some idiot suggested Brexit.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Imaman said:

Being sacked was a stroke of luck for Boris Johnson

The UK is headed for more economic volatility - so where are the plans to deal with a new downturn from the two prime-ministerial hopefuls?

August 4, 2022 9:42 pm

The catastrophic prognosis for Britain’s economy would not have been believed a few months ago.
The last time that inflation passed 13 per cent, Liz Truss was five years old. Rishi Sunak had just been born.

Within a year there was a deep recession as the Government tried to control prices.

This time we are in trouble because of Russia’s war in Ukraine, cranking up energy prices – worsened by successive UK Governments’ failure to address energy security – as well as other global commodities such as wheat.

We are also in trouble because of Covid and Brexit (the headwinds of leaving our biggest trading bloc) and because of a slow response by the Treasury and the Bank of England, who are now playing catch-up.

With the tax burden set to rise to its highest since the 1940s, and energy bills expected to hit £4,210 in January (up from £1,271 10 months ago), household income will take a severe hit. Even the well-off are already feeling this crunch.

Stagflation is a big risk: slow growth, white-hot prices and high unemployment.

Read More

The Lionesses are right - girls deserve better than being mugged off over inequality in sport03 August, 2022

Perhaps history will judge him differently, but on current evidence the Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey is not covering himself in glory. He has been dealt an unlucky hand compared with his predecessors.

Rishi Sunak must take some responsibility for Britain’s lacklustre growth post-pandemic, while Liz Truss strains credulity when she claims that recession is “not inevitable”.

Neither Tory leadership contender has a plan to meaningfully soften the impact yet. They need one.

https://apple.news/AEwTXLhaTQ_mHYVGHY_Sj2Q

Some news outlets not ignoring the damage Brexit has caused and is contributing to our current fiscal shitshow. 

Apologies for the repetition but that figure after the expected fuel cap rise in January is £4,210

Universal credit for the year is £4,018

It was bad enough when the poorest had £2800 for the year after paying for power, what's away to happen when their income doesn't even cover the leccy and gas?

9 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm not suffering I will be glad of the extra intrest of my savings. Too many have gotten used to very low borrowing rates last few years 

Well you seem to be happy watching others suffering for whatever reason. Everyone's affected even if it's not that apparent. Your pension fund's likely down 20-30%, and your power supplier's making record profits at your expense. Seriously doubt your increased interest return on your savings is making that much difference.

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

You're correct of course, people need to take i to account of air miles, and road miles, in their food, change is hard but it may become necessary. 

The average person worried about air miles for their avocados and buying a bag for life won't make any difference to the environment when every second "celebrity" is travelling in a private plane and flying in there lobsters from Canada. 

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

The average person worried about air miles for their avocados and buying a bag for life won't make any difference to the environment when every second "celebrity" is travelling in a private plane and flying in there lobsters from Canada. 

Millions of people considering air miles would make a difference, but, do people actually care enough to make the change and the difference? I'm not sure.

Your point about the "celebrity" flying all over the place is  bang on the money, too much of this shite, but again, who cares?

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Apologies for the repetition but that figure after the expected fuel cap rise in January is £4,210

Universal credit for the year is £4,018

It was bad enough when the poorest had £2800 for the year after paying for power, what's away to happen when their income doesn't even cover the leccy and gas?

Not only repetitive but wrong. Not everyone gets the same for a start and couples with children get a lot more. That might be your figure but you portray it as what everyone gets. 

The Mighty Thor
16 hours ago, Victorian said:

Just realised this is true.  Truss,  Blabbermooth and assorted other plastic right wing berserkers are indeed going on the attack against the BoE.

"Fairytale forecasting"

"We'll review the remit of the BoE".

"It should be less independent"

"All the board members tend to vote the same way... there should be more diversity".  :rofl:

This is China / Russia / NK stuff.

here you go. As if by magic the Nazi goes straight after the BofE.

Dacre's phone must have been ringing off the hook. 

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

here you go. As if by magic the Nazi goes straight after the BofE.

Dacre's phone must have been ringing off the hook. 

Inevitable.  If ever there was a more convenient scapegoat.  The BoE can't even argue it's case in response.  Hideous.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Not only repetitive but wrong. Not everyone gets the same for a start and couples with children get a lot more. That might be your figure but you portray it as what everyone gets. 

:laugh2: you swore the basic rate was £300 a week more, WTF do you know?

But you're right, some get even less.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Basic universal credit for an over 25 living alone is £4018.92 per year

For a couple: £6308.64 for the year between them. Per person that's less.

£3,154,32 per year

Under 25s. Per person that's less. 

£3,183.72 per year

For a couple under 25: £4997.40 for the year between them.

Per person that's less.

£2,448.70 per year

19 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I think the word you're looking for there is BREXIT mate. 

No apparently that's not a thing.  

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I struggle to reconcile the contortions to avoid coming out and calling it what it is these people go through.

The BBC refuse to accept reality.

Starmer's Red Tories don't want to risk their perceived wafer thin chance of actually being elected. (they won't be as they stand for nothing)

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: you swore the basic rate was £300 a week more, WTF do you know?

But you're right, some get even less.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Basic universal credit for an over 25 living alone is £4018.92 per year

For a couple: £6308.64 for the year between them. Per person that's less.

£3,154,32 per year

Under 25s. Per person that's less. 

£3,183.72 per year

For a couple under 25: £4997.40 for the year between them.

Per person that's less.

£2,448.70 per year

Making stuff up again Smithee ? I never said such a thing.  

Why are you splitting households up ? To make it look less by any chance. 🙄

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Making stuff up again Smithee ? I never said such a thing.  

Why are you splitting households up ? To make it look less by any chance. 🙄

Oh I'm showing the full figures!

£334.91 per month for an over 25 living alone.

Under 25, £265.31 per month.

Over 25 couple, £262.86 per month each, that's £525.72 between then

Under 25 couple, £204.06 per month each, that's £408.12 between them

Do you think this is enough for human beings to live off?

Pay your bills, buy food, could you live off that, especially with everything rocketing up?

Yer arse!

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Oh I'm showing the full figures!

£334.91 per month for an over 25 living alone.

Under 25, £265.31 per month.

Over 25 couple, £262.86 per month each, that's £525.72 between then

Under 25 couple, £204.06 per month each, that's £408.12 between them

Do you think this is enough for human beings to live off?

Pay your bills, buy food, could you live off that, especially with everything rocketing up?

Yer arse!

I never said it was easy or enough especially for single young people. I think couples with kids and working can get a fair amount. 

Unknown user
18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I never said it was easy or enough especially for single young people. I think couples with kids and working can get a fair amount. 

I'm giving nothing but true figures though eh?

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I think the word you're looking for there is BREXIT mate. 

He will be under strict orders not to blame Brexit or he will be oot the door before he can say Oven Ready Deal. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Schhhh....

Don't mention the B word.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'm giving nothing but true figures though eh?

You'll get housing benefit, council tax benefit etc.

My mate is a single dad with 2 kids and he seems to get a lot of extras.

Free school meals, payment for school uniform and loads of other things.

A couple of shifts cash in hand and he's laughing

Unknown user
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

You'll get housing benefit, council tax benefit etc.

My mate is a single dad with 2 kids and he seems to get a lot of extras.

Free school meals, payment for school uniform and loads of other things.

A couple of shifts cash in hand and he's laughing

Aye, most of rent and council tax is covered, up to a certain amount. For a 2 bed place in Midlothian the upper limit is £189.86 a week, you need to find the rest yourself.

Your mate gets help because he's got 2 extra human beings to feed and clothe, of course he does.

But it doesn't change the fact that £334 a month is meant to feed, clothe and pay the bills for a person living on their own, or even less per person if they're in a couple or under 25.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Double digit inflation, well should I say official double digit inflation is now here. How high will it go however?

BoE says 13% is as high it'll go, unofficially though it's probably well above that already.

The Mighty Thor

Real inflation is likely to be around 16% 

Real wages are down 6%

Energy Prices up 215%

The Prime Minister is 2 holidays deep in August and it's only the 17th

One of the two candidates to be PM got us in this mess to start with and the other thinks we're all lazy Bassas.

What could possibly go wrong?

Shooter McGavin

Inflation at a 40-year high.

Ladies and gentlemen, the conservative government.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

JudyJudyJudy

2 Pints of Peroni lager £12.50  at " The Malt shovel". On Sunday night. We wont be back. She even had the check to not fill our pints to the top...well near the top .  Flake came to mind.  

Howdy Doody Jambo

When your skint yer skint the shit hasn't even hit the fan yet 

Enjoy the last days of summer it's going to be a long cold hungry winter, Holyrood or Westminster are of no use or help to anyone are they still all on holiday filling in their expenses forms and cashing in the dividend payments from fuel and pharmaceutical companies 

fcukin shambles the lot of them 

With all these strikes and marches on the streets there's going to be trouble ahead 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

fabienleclerq
On 05/08/2022 at 16:26, Smithee said:

Aye, most of rent and council tax is covered, up to a certain amount. For a 2 bed place in Midlothian the upper limit is £189.86 a week, you need to find the rest yourself.

Your mate gets help because he's got 2 extra human beings to feed and clothe, of course he does.

But it doesn't change the fact that £334 a month is meant to feed, clothe and pay the bills for a person living on their own, or even less per person if they're in a couple or under 25.

£760 a month for a two bed can't be easy to find these days.

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

£760 a month for a two bed can't be easy to find these days.

Tbf, the odds of two people cohabiting who are both unable to work must be relatively slim (?).

6 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Inflation at a 40-year high.

Ladies and gentlemen, the conservative government.

Getting the big calls right 

:fonzie:

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

2 Pints of Peroni lager £12.50  at " The Malt shovel". On Sunday night. We wont be back. She even had the check to not fill our pints to the top...well near the top .  Flake came to mind.  

Peroni is always on the pricier side, but £12.50 :facepalm:

You can get 15 cans of Tennents for £13 in Asda right now, not exactly the same but does the job.

I was going to have a wander round the Old Town and take in a few shows with a few drinks, might re-consider at those prices!

Edited by Shooter McGavin

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You can get 15 cans of Tennents for £13 in Asda right now, not exactly the same but does the job.

I was going to have a wander round the Old Town and take in a few shows with a few drinks, might re-consider at those prices!

Tennents.

:rofl:

Shooter McGavin
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Tennents.

:rofl:

Nothing wrong with a Tennents imo 😁

Becks, Heineken & Carlsberg on the other hand 

:getout:

Ainsley Harriott

Bit on the Scottish news about scroungers getting £200 + to pay for school uniforms. Is there anything they don't expect covered by the taxpayers. 

heartandsoul
4 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

When your skint yer skint the shit hasn't even hit the fan yet 

Enjoy the last days of summer it's going to be a long cold hungry winter, Holyrood or Westminster are of no use or help to anyone are they still all on holiday filling in their expenses forms and cashing in the dividend payments from fuel and pharmaceutical companies 

fcukin shambles the lot of them 

With all these strikes and marches on the streets there's going to be trouble ahead 

This

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Bit on the Scottish news about scroungers getting £200 + to pay for school uniforms. Is there anything they don't expect covered by the taxpayers. 

Good for them.

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

great move.

We've been lucky, just as the rates hit all time low years ago we moved off a 3 year stepped deal with tsb that meant after year 3 we were guaranteed to be base rate plus 2% on their SVR, I knew rates were going to rise so jumped onto a low rate 10 year deal with nationwide,only had 9.5 years left but pushed it to 10 years,already overpaying so should clear it in 8 rather than 10 years. Its not a huge figure but every time the rates rise I know I'm saving more!

Howdy Doody Jambo
24 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Will it be spent on school uniforms, they should be given tokens for a specific school uniform shop 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I didnt even notice the price really. It was my pal who questioned how much it had been . I had just paid by card.  We had the one pint and left. Wont be back again.  Complete rip off.  You'll struggle to get cheap drinks in town just now really , particular in the old town venues.  Take a carry out with you and wonder about ! :) 

JudyJudyJudy
56 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The tall ones are a bit more empathetic, TBF :) 

LOLOLL 

image-23-10-21-07-01.jpeg

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Tbf, the odds of two people cohabiting who are both unable to work must be relatively slim (?).

I'm not sure that'll be much consolation to the people in that position.

Shooter McGavin
20 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The UK government lost £16 billion in fraud and dodgy covid loan schemes.

The UK government also destroyed £4 billion worth of unusable PPE.

And you’re moaning about deprived kids getting clothes for school…

It’s like moaning about your dinner being burnt, whilst your house is on fire.

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Nothing wrong with a Tennents imo 😁

Becks, Heineken & Carlsberg on the other hand 

:getout:

I ken whats with the hate regarding Tennents ? I love it. 

Shooter McGavin
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I didnt even notice the price really. It was my pal who questioned how much it had been . I had just paid by card.  We had the one pint and left. Wont be back again.  Complete rip off.  You'll struggle to get cheap drinks in town just now really , particular in the old town venues.  Take a carry out with you and wonder about ! :) 

Was going to have a few drinks on the train to save a few quid, but I believe nowadays Scotrail would have you arrested for such an act of chaos.