Inflation

jamb0_1874

Pans Jambo
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's the alternative? Moan on the internet?

Write to youre local tory branch office

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Write to youre local tory branch office

Cut back and work more if possible is pretty solid advice right now regardless of your politics. It's practical and pragmatic. Can't see the issue with it as advice, it'll certainly have a better impact on your pocket than writing to some cretin in the Tory party.

It's May, cutting back on the heating is a no brainer (why anyone would even have it on just now is beyond me), cold showers aren't the end of the world. Cooking I'll give you, but even then maybe have more cold meals than usual over the summer, it'll save a few quid if needs be. Overtime isn't an option to all, but if it is and you need it, take some.

Should we need to do all that? No (I won't get into why maybe we do for the climate etc), but whilst were faced with this mess it's relatively prudent advice, albeit depressing.

Pans Jambo
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Cut back and work more if possible is pretty solid advice right now regardless of your politics. It's practical and pragmatic. Can't see the issue with it as advice, it'll certainly have a better impact on your pocket than writing to some cretin in the Tory party.

It's May, cutting back on the heating is a no brainer (why anyone would even have it on just now is beyond me), cold showers aren't the end of the world. Cooking I'll give you, but even then maybe have more cold meals than usual over the summer, it'll save a few quid if needs be. Overtime isn't an option to all, but if it is and you need it, take some.

Should we need to do all that? No (I won't get into why maybe we do for the climate etc), but whilst were faced with this mess it's relatively prudent advice, albeit depressing.

Its May and youre right, heating & hot showers can be cut right back for the next 3-4 months but the £800 additional energy price rise kicks in in October. 
Thats a problem. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Pans Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Work untill you die peasants.

But should you somehow manage to survive, enjoy retirement with the worst state pension in Europe!

(You know, the one we now pay EVEN more National Insurance contributions for…even though they promised us we wouldnt). 

34 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm cutting back my holidays abroad this year.

Only going on 3.

Been to Lanzarote in February, going to Corfu on Thursday morning and then Ibiza at the start of July.

Hearts are in Europe, so it could be another 4 trips on the cards.

Ah well, there's always next year.

Bloody Toaries

That's some driving. You must be an expert with that caravan. :thumb: 

10 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its May and youre right, heating & hot showers can be cut right back for the next 3-4 months but the £800 additional energy price rise kicks in in October. 
Thats a problem. 

Yeh, it sure is. Not many are going to be insulated (no pun intended) from that. I'm going to try and build as big a buffer fund as I can between now and then...I fear it'll barely help though.

Ainsley Harriott
45 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tory voter right there!

Cut back? On heating, hot showers and cooking?

Then work even harder just to pay for a tory imposed tax on the poor?

Yeh nice one. 

It's nothing to do with the Tories inflation is high worldwide they don't rule the world.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, it sure is. Not many are going to be insulated (no pun intended) from that. I'm going to try and build as big a buffer fund as I can between now and then...I fear it'll barely help though.

I'm buying a mini trampoline, that'll keep me warm.

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

It's nothing to do with the Tories inflation is high worldwide they don't rule the world.

They're doing feck all with the place they do rule. 

Scrap the NI rise, cut VAT, windfall tax, chase down the fraud of Covid,put up benefits and sort out the energy cap. But naw, they can afford to pay, so feck the rest.

11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm buying a mini trampoline, that'll keep me warm.

Don't think my downstairs neighbours would appreciate that. Might put the boxing bag back up instead.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Don't think my downstairs neighbours would appreciate that. Might put the boxing bag back up instead.

👍

Ainsley Harriott

Maybe if we hadn't paid people to sit on their arses for 18 months during covid there might be money in the pot to do something

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe if we hadn't paid people to sit on their arses for 18 months during covid there might be money in the pot to do something

Maybe if the Tories hadn't pissed away billions on faulty PPE and dodgy contracts

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe if we didn't bail out he banks, we wouldn't be stink. Seem to find money for Ukraine.

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

chase down the fraud of Covid

That would mean chasing down their own complicity in the fraud, which is why they'll never do it.

Best we can hope for is a change of government and a public enquiry that results in charges brought, a slew of these ***s in the pokey, and assets seized as the proceeds of crime.

Shitehousery on this scale we've seen over the past decade should be the blue touch paper of revolutions. They should be lucky to keep their heads.

2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

That would mean chasing down their own complicity in the fraud, which is why they'll never do it.

*Best we can hope for is a change of government and a public enquiry that results in charges brought, a slew of these ***s in the pokey, and assets seized as the proceeds of crime.

Shitehousery on this scale we've seen over the past decade should be the blue touch paper of revolutions. They should be lucky to keep their heads.

*How does that work? Or is it even allowed.

If we had just allowed mass redundancies and nae jobs during the pandemic instead of furlough, there would be no cost of living crisis now as all the poor would have already starved to death.

1jqcf8.jpg

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

*How does that work? Or is it even allowed.

No idea. A spot of wishful thinking on my part, really. I'd rather have their heads chopped off though, if it was a straight choice.

1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

No idea. A spot of wishful thinking on my part, really. I'd rather have their heads chopped off though, if it was a straight choice.

No, it's just I've sometimes wondered why no incoming government done this before.

Anyhow, this one isn't helping until it's politically profitable.

SectionDJambo
55 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Essentially you need to break demand is the reason. Economics is pretty simple it largely boils down to supply and demand. 

They will need to break demand to control inflation. Which will be their prime driver,  as unless they get inflation under control, the cost of living crisis will not be addressed. It will be painful but it needs to be broken. If you don’t break demand inflation will continue to sore as demand outstrips supply and the problems we face only get worse. 

Increasing something like interest rate  aids breaking demand. Interest rates doesn’t just impact individuals, it hugely impacts larger buisiness; as most buisiness are not cash rich and rely on outside capital/finance. The economy is more driven by buisiness than individuals as daft as that sounds. 

A lot of the drivers for inflationary pressures, in theory, are transitionary. It’s a temporary issue that will sort itself out. The Ukraine war is a right pain in the arse to put in mildly. Whilst, the unleashing of demand from covid release is close to unwinding itself. The QE we indulged in via covid is the primary driver for this mess tbqfhwy; but it was needed 

The thing is controling inflation is a painful medicine. People are unfortunately going to suffer and it will be the lower end of society; for obvious reasons. The only thing I would say if they don’t get a grip of the problems people are facing will be much worse. 

A recession is coming and some may argue its required. I’m not sure I fit into that group but I will concede demand needs broken and quickly or this gets really messy. 

I suspect we will see attempts to control wages ( see govts) in an attempt to break demand. Supply side interventions do make more sense in the current climate, as painful as they are for your average joe. 

The govts ( both wM and SG) have made sone noises around certain things which are designed to increase ‘productivity’ which is the generally accepted way out of a stagflation situation which is the big fear. Albeit the amount of posters who don’t understand the conditions around stagflation is astounding. 😞

I’m not looking for an argument just looking to clarify a decent question tbh👍

Thanks

I'm a bit wiser now.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

yup surely no one is surprised at this - it was well predicted albeit maybe not so much on everyone’s telly

bigger prices to be paid in the coming years for some unfortunately - going to be difficult to bracket the upcoming rise in mid-life mortality alongside the Ukraine war or boris having a series of parties tho

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Essentially you need to break demand is the reason. Economics is pretty simple it largely boils down to supply and demand. 

They will need to break demand to control inflation. Which will be their prime driver,  as unless they get inflation under control, the cost of living crisis will not be addressed. It will be painful but it needs to be broken. If you don’t break demand inflation will continue to sore as demand outstrips supply and the problems we face only get worse. 

Increasing something like interest rate  aids breaking demand. Interest rates doesn’t just impact individuals, it hugely impacts larger buisiness; as most buisiness are not cash rich and rely on outside capital/finance. The economy is more driven by buisiness than individuals as daft as that sounds. 

A lot of the drivers for inflationary pressures, in theory, are transitionary. It’s a temporary issue that will sort itself out. The Ukraine war is a right pain in the arse to put in mildly. Whilst, the unleashing of demand from covid release is close to unwinding itself. The QE we indulged in via covid is the primary driver for this mess tbqfhwy; but it was needed 

The thing is controling inflation is a painful medicine. People are unfortunately going to suffer and it will be the lower end of society; for obvious reasons. The only thing I would say if they don’t get a grip of the problems people are facing will be much worse. 

A recession is coming and some may argue its required. I’m not sure I fit into that group but I will concede demand needs broken and quickly or this gets really messy. 

I suspect we will see attempts to control wages ( see govts) in an attempt to break demand. Supply side interventions do make more sense in the current climate, as painful as they are for your average joe. 

The govts ( both wM and SG) have made sone noises around certain things which are designed to increase ‘productivity’ which is the generally accepted way out of a stagflation situation which is the big fear. Albeit the amount of posters who don’t understand the conditions around stagflation is astounding. 😞

supply and demand without the technicalities

you want to go out with a girl/boy/them but haven’t sealed the deal - supply deficient heavy demand

seal the deal - increased supply reduced demand and assuming you are trying  to be faithful everyone else is now off limits so reduced supply and increased demand

sorry it just happened it was supply and demands fault ☹️

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Inflation is currently a global problem. You just need to cut back and if necessary work a bit of overtime.

:rofl:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I've had a bit to drink today, so I'm probably missing a very obvious point and probably missing point of post. 

However, your analagoly isn't the best tbh.  The economy is a tad more complex than your dating life , as hard as that may be to believe 😏

Your demand is driven by your knob and supply by their ability to put out, these aren't all that contrable 😂. That said when  these match, it's pretty happy times tbh. We’re currently in a position where your knob wants it all the time and your partner has clap, result shit time for all involved. 

Hope I’m doing this right 👍

Yeah I wasn’t trying to describe the current position via my or anyone’s dating life

if anything it was describing a position of excess supply of one ‘commodity’ and restricted supply of another but as you say probably not a great post anyway 👍

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

analagoly

definitely had a drink....hic cup....... :) 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

If we had just allowed mass redundancies and nae jobs during the pandemic instead of furlough, there would be no cost of living crisis now as all the poor would have already starved to death.

1jqcf8.jpg

if we didnt have lockdowns there might have been.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but lets not go there again. 

12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

But business' are driven mainly by people which doesn't make it as simple as you say. The added complication of the pyschological effect any news, or perceived bad news, on the economy has means it is difficult to predict any recession from happening. Recession usually follows periods of increased inflation, as I'm sure you know, but what can be managed (to a certain extent)  is the length and severity of said recession. I don't have much faith in the current a WM administration to manage this well.

Tommy Brown
14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

You say break the demand.

but the big fluctuations are on complete essentials to survive. Energy, fuel, food.

These are huge impacts on our nett pay.

This impacts spending. people stop going on holiday, buying Household goods, going out socialising.

These are bad impacts and drive recession. yes/no?

I am not an economist in any shape, good with figures but easliy bamboozle by terminolgies.

A recession is coming and some may argue its required.

I cannot think why any recession can be said as good in any way.

You mention breaking demand. But surely we need to keep spending.

The point I believe and posted very earlier in the thread, The big impactors in this are beyond Joe Public's control, Governments need to deal with it.

Konrad von Carstein
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Im not sure what your getting at with your first sentence? I think your, possibly, conflating a couple of different issues 

The problem with this current economic conditions is that many of the levers we would use to control things don’t work as well. Mainly as you need the transitionary issue to work themselves out. That’s why I personally believe the psychological impact isn’t that important in real terms. Pyscological, impact on joe public is probably the bigger concern as this thread is demonstrating. 

Govts and central banks are going to have a very challenging time managing us through this period. Whilst I have little faith in WM or SG, I do have a bit more faith in BofE and other central banks. I actually think the global nature of this all will aid us getting out of as other economies will help drag many a long with them 

The upcoming period is going to be horrific for many and will be a period like many haven’t witnessed. As I say the only way to bring inflation under control and improve the long term outlook, is break demand. The problem is breaking it is very painful for people as there cost of living is squeezed massively. Whilst, it’s going massively increase inequities

The one thing that will probably make sone people happy, is this mess will likely bury the tories for a while. Unfortunately, that won’t solve the economic issues, albeit may improve living standards for some. 

Anyway, I’m going to duck out this thread as I genuinely just wanted to answer a decent question.👍

You should post much more than you do on here and in general tbh, very informative (even if much of it could be written in Greek for me)  :lol:

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Im not sure what your getting at with your first sentence? I think your, possibly, conflating a couple of different issues 

The problem with this current economic conditions is that many of the levers we would use to control things don’t work as well. Mainly as you need the transitionary issue to work themselves out. That’s why I personally believe the psychological impact isn’t that important in real terms. Pyscological, impact on joe public is probably the bigger concern as this thread is demonstrating. 

Govts and central banks are going to have a very challenging time managing us through this period. Whilst I have little faith in WM or SG, I do have a bit more faith in BofE and other central banks. I actually think the global nature of this all will aid us getting out of as other economies will help drag many a long with them 

The upcoming period is going to be horrific for many and will be a period like many haven’t witnessed. As I say the only way to bring inflation under control and improve the long term outlook, is break demand. The problem is breaking it is very painful for people as there cost of living is squeezed massively. Whilst, it’s going massively increase inequities

The one thing that will probably make sone people happy, is this mess will likely bury the tories for a while. Unfortunately, that won’t solve the economic issues, albeit may improve living standards for some. 

Anyway, I’m going to duck out this thread as I genuinely just wanted to answer a decent question.👍

Re the bit in bold is what I was getting at. You say that it is business' that drive the economy, whilst dismissing the impact of joe public. My point is that Joe Public drive the business' which in turn drive the economy. If the psychological impact on joe public / consumers had little to no effect as you intimate, then we are all golden and have nothing to worry about.

Anyways, I'll leave you be!

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I was hoping to be out on this thread. 

I will try and keep this short for everyone’s benefit I will also try and keep relatively simple. 

Inflation is driven where demand outstrip supply. Whilst, you are correct a huge rises have occurred in ‘essentials’ energy and food being the two obvious. They are transitionary in theory will work  but again these things can always be reduced as we are currently seeing. However, fundamentally commodity prices are suffering from inflation. Things like timber, steel etc have all seen iron watering increase for a long time now. This is why demand needs broken as otherwise price will continue to increase why the demand remains. 

The govts will be keen to stop wage increases that are close to inflation as that will just spiral the problem. See the 70’s. (If your genuinely interested read up on the 70’s economic situation, it’s not a million miles away and will probably help understand sone of the challenges especially around stagflation) 

if we have a recession demand will be broken and inflation will subside. Inflation is the bigger of the evils at the moment in most economists mind Things like joe public not going on holiday all play in part in reducing demand on things like fuel, new planes etc etc. 

Whilst, we see the same repeated

across most places to varying degrees. 

Joe public doesn’t really control inflation, albeit their actions impact it. They have to deal with the consequences it’s up to govts and central banks to control it. I’m not sure I ever suggested joe public controls inflation. 

Hoping answered your question albeit don’t think answer you want. 😞

I think your in the minority with that view😂

Ahh get you now. I think we probably talking slightly at cross purposes. 

My suggestion is a recession is coming and joe public physiological view won’t change that. This will not be a recession due to lack of ‘confidence’ but due to sone pretty significant factors that cause it. 👍

Anyway, I’m genuinely ducking out of this now. I’ve got sunbathing to do😃

Hopefully naked sunbathing,  cannae beat a bit of sun on the 3rd leg 😎

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I was hoping to be out on this thread. 

I will try and keep this short for everyone’s benefit I will also try and keep relatively simple. 

Inflation is driven where demand outstrip supply. Whilst, you are correct a huge rises have occurred in ‘essentials’ energy and food being the two obvious. They are transitionary in theory will work  but again these things can always be reduced as we are currently seeing. However, fundamentally commodity prices are suffering from inflation. Things like timber, steel etc have all seen iron watering increase for a long time now. This is why demand needs broken as otherwise price will continue to increase why the demand remains. 

The govts will be keen to stop wage increases that are close to inflation as that will just spiral the problem. See the 70’s. (If your genuinely interested read up on the 70’s economic situation, it’s not a million miles away and will probably help understand sone of the challenges especially around stagflation) 

if we have a recession demand will be broken and inflation will subside. Inflation is the bigger of the evils at the moment in most economists mind Things like joe public not going on holiday all play in part in reducing demand on things like fuel, new planes etc etc. 

Whilst, we see the same repeated

across most places to varying degrees. 

Joe public doesn’t really control inflation, albeit their actions impact it. They have to deal with the consequences it’s up to govts and central banks to control it. I’m not sure I ever suggested joe public controls inflation. 

Hoping answered your question albeit don’t think answer you want. 😞

I think your in the minority with that view😂

Ahh get you now. I think we probably talking slightly at cross purposes. 

My suggestion is a recession is coming and joe public physiological view won’t change that. This will not be a recession due to lack of ‘confidence’ but due to sone pretty significant factors that cause it. 👍

Anyway, I’m genuinely ducking out of this now. I’ve got sunbathing to do😃

I like reading your posts.  :( Come back!

Edited by ri Alban

Tommy Brown
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Agreed, it is good to have an expert on the economy to argue with:lol:

Your input is appreciated @Lord BJ , keep posting, we wont ruin our holiday.:peepwall:

40 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Agreed, it is good to have an expert on the economy to argue with:lol:

Your input is appreciated @Lord BJ , keep posting, we wont ruin our holiday.:peepwall:

:rudiyas:

Jambo_jim2001
8 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Hopefully naked sunbathing,  cannae beat a bit of sun on the 3rd leg 😎

White non tanned bit down to my left knee is no fun though😇😴😴😴

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

+1 

Really like reading LBJs posts on matter economy...and others too!

Ainsley Harriott

Help is on the way for energy bills! But only for those on low incomes. Should have been for everyone or nothing. Supposed to be Tories but they have behaving like socialist ***** 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Help is on the way for energy bills! But only for those on low incomes. Should have been for everyone or nothing. Supposed to be Tories but they have behaving like socialist ***** 

That's what's being reported on all the news channels this morning, that it's expected that every household in the UK is to get £400 off their energy bills instead of the already announced £200, and it's a grant not a loan and doesn't need to be paid back, with extra help for low income households.

Of course it's all speculation at the moment, until Sunak makes his statement later this morning, 11.30 I think I heard them say.

manaliveits105

I predict the Labour and the fat hibby’s response 

- it’s welcome but it doesn’t go far enough 

you could give everyone in the UK £1m and they would say the same 

poor opposition 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

poor opposition 

You are correct, they would still find fault with it, somehow.........something like, why should rich folks get even richer would be the obvious one that I can think about.

WorldChampions1902
5 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Rishi Corbyn has just given you £400 instead of a repayable £200 energy bill loan. How very ‘socialist’ of him. Given the anti-socialism tone of your post, no doubt you will refund the Exchequer.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

poor opposition 

It doesn't go far enough. 400 quid off a bill that just went up by 800 quid and will likely rise by the same in October is pathetic.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Rishi Corbyn has just given you £400 instead of a repayable £200 energy bill loan. How very ‘socialist’ of him. Given the anti-socialism tone of your post, no doubt you will refund the Exchequer.

Yip and another 650 quid on top of your a scrounger 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It doesn't go far enough. 400 quid off a bill that just went up by 800 quid and will likely rise by the same in October is pathetic.

People on benefits/low earners will rightly get more don’t they ?  I know you struggle to get your head round this but the government isn’t here to pay peoples bills. 

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

People on benefits/low earners will rightly get more don’t they ?  I know you struggle to get your head round this but the government isn’t here to pay peoples bills. 

Mind when you were insisting that universal credit must be 200-300 quid a week more than the 334 a month I know to be true?

Most will forgive me for disregarding your thoughts on the subject!

The government is there to pay the bills of the unemployed by the way. I mean, duh!

WorldChampions1902
43 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yip and another 650 quid on top of your a scrounger 

Your labelling of the poorest in society is somewhat ‘unfortunate’.

A £400 energy grant for people such as yourself is fine.

A £400 energy grant plus £650 Cost of Living lump sum = “Scrounger”.

Deary me.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Mind when you were insisting that universal credit must be 200-300 quid a week more than the 334 a month I know to be true?

Most will forgive me for disregarding your thoughts on the subject!

The government is there to pay the bills of the unemployed by the way. I mean, duh!

Smithee twisting things again to try and look smart. You said the £400 wasn’t enough, No one mentioned unemployed. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Smithee twisting things again to try and look smart. You said the £400 wasn’t enough, No one mentioned unemployed. 

The unemployed are people, although they'll get more. But no, 400 isn't enough. It doesn't cover anything like the rise, never mind the original amount, so your paying the bill pish is just that. 

It's good to see some action, but that's all it is, some action, and purely to take pressure off bawjaws, they're definitely not thinking of my best interests, and you're just a useful tool.

The UK is sick, the problems are much, much bigger than what this does. The system needs fixed. 

Just now, Smithee said:

The unemployed are people, although they'll get more. But no, 400 isn't enough. It doesn't cover anything like the rise, never mind the original amount, so your paying the bill pish is just that. 

It's good to see some action, but that's all it is, some action, and purely to take pressure off bawjaws, they're definitely not thinking of my best interests, and you're just a useful tool.

The UK is sick, the problems are much, much bigger than what this does. The system needs fixed. 

People on benefits and low earners get more. £400 really shouldn’t be scoffed at by anyone outside those groups imo. Maybe it should be means tested so those that really need it get even more and those that don’t need any get nothing ? Plenty families don’t need the £400, I’m more than that in credit so I’d happily miss out. I don’t think everyone should just get it without having to apply, money to be saved there and passed on.

We will never agree because you think get government is there to pay our bills.