Inflation

jamb0_1874

Just now, Footballfirst said:

I guess that it is a selection of a typical shopping basket with a mix of staples (bread, tea, coffee, milk cheese, pasta, fruit, veg) and a few other non essential "luxuries" like biscuits and crisps.

Cheers, wasn't sure if maybe they'd clarified on the source.

I was using luxuries for most of the stuff without any/little nutritional value rather than in the traditional sense for clarity. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

periodictabledancer
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What drives items to be on that list do you know? It's an odd list. Good to see it's mainly the 'luxury' items that are the most increased, frozen veg aside...hopefully fresh veg performs better.

I'll take the positives...pizza below rate of inflation, I'm basically paying myself to eat pizza now 😍

Anything with vegetable oil & wheat in it will have rocketed in price - all down to Ukraine war.

Fish has rocketed in price because a lot (most ?) of our white fish comes from Russia (yes, really) as the UK licences for North Sea fishing aren't held by UK boats.

The summer drought/heat wave - especially bad in the whole of Europe this year - probably means shortages of all fresh food & fruit. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What drives items to be on that list do you know? It's an odd list. Good to see it's mainly the 'luxury' items that are the most increased, frozen veg aside...hopefully fresh veg performs better.

I'll take the positives...pizza below rate of inflation, I'm basically paying myself to eat pizza now 😍

Vegetable oil is way up because Ukraine was the main source.  

Chips are up because they're coated in.......vegetable oil.

Crisps are up because they're cooked in.....vegetable oil.

Pasta, bread and biscuits are up because the price of flour is up because the price of wheat is up because Ukraine.

Dunno about the tea, frozen veg and milk.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pasta, bread and biscuits are up because the price of flour is up because the price of wheat is up because Ukraine.

Mon the mince

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sorry I meant more why those items rather than looking at other items. Maybe I do an odd weekly shop.

Good answers though and I hadn't thought about what was making certain things go up more than others. Cheers 👍👍 

Edit: also thanks to @periodictabledancer, just saw your reply too

Edited by Taffin

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Cheers, wasn't sure if maybe they'd clarified on the source.

I was using luxuries for most of the stuff without any/little nutritional value rather than in the traditional sense for clarity. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/ukconsumerpriceinflationbasketofgoodsandservices/2022

The shopping basket

Consumer price inflation is the rate at which the prices of goods and services bought by households rise or fall. Imagine a very large “shopping basket” containing those goods and services bought by households. As the prices of the various items in the basket change over time so does the total cost of the basket. Movements in consumer price inflation indices represent the changing cost of the shopping basket.

Currently, around 180,000 separate price quotations are collected every month to compile the indices, covering around 730 representative consumer goods and services. These prices are collected in around 140 locations across the UK, from the internet and over the phone. In addition, around 300,000 quotes are used in measuring owner occupiers’ housing costs each month. This measure is based principally on data from administrative sources.

Within each year, the consumer price indices represent the changing cost of a basket of goods and services of fixed composition. In this way, changes in the consumer price indices from month to month reflect only changes in prices, and not variations in the quality and quantity of items purchased by consumers.

Although kept constant within the year, the contents of the basket and the associated expenditure weights are updated annually. This is important in helping to avoid potential biases that might otherwise develop, for example, because of the development of entirely new goods and services. These procedures also help to ensure that the indices reflect longer-term trends in consumer spending patterns.

Changes to the items and their associated item weights are introduced in the February index each year, but prices are collected for both old and new items in January. This means that the figures for each year can be “chain linked” to form a long-run price index spanning many years. In other words, price changes between December and January are based on the old basket, while price changes between January and February, and beyond, are based on the new basket.

In reality, there are three baskets, one for each of CPIH, CPI and RPI. The vast majority of items are the same in all three measures.

The food element accounts for 24% of the (730) items monitored, although it's only 9.3% of the value of the basket. Housing and household services (utilities) costs account for 31% of the value the Index.

Jambo_jim2001
11 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Also diesel is 191p a litre at my local Tesco 😂 mental.

The price difference now is about 25-30p more than petrol at most places.

I filled my tank last week when it was 174 a litre,,skint now but not as much if I had waited till now,,🤬🤬

Jambo_jim2001
On 19/10/2022 at 18:34, Malinga the Swinga said:

Won't gnaw away at me as there isn't anything I can do about it. I leave it up to government, or what passes as government these days. My own kids have good work ethic and that's all I can be responsible for.

Definition won't be that different. I know it's a tiny percentage and I know that the big companies that avoid taste worse. Just get pissed off with both of them tbh.

Last 10 years have been hard with work cuts and trying to survive but now, boot is on other foot and I'm far more relaxed at work. When bosses ask my opinion, they get it straight. No career prospects to protect, no playing games, just 100% honesty. What's the worst that can happen? Make me redundant and I'll be out the door in record time.

Getting older sucks but have to say, I do look at folk starting out on careers now and think I'm lucky I'm not them. Will miss most of the people, the daft chats and nonsense that goes on, but office politics is one subject I will happily be rid off.

Enjoy your retirement when it comes, and have a plan in place for when it happens. Believe that's a necessity to keep boredom and stress away.

My answer to work,always has been,yet this is so eloquently put👍🤣

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/ukconsumerpriceinflationbasketofgoodsandservices/2022

The shopping basket

Consumer price inflation is the rate at which the prices of goods and services bought by households rise or fall. Imagine a very large “shopping basket” containing those goods and services bought by households. As the prices of the various items in the basket change over time so does the total cost of the basket. Movements in consumer price inflation indices represent the changing cost of the shopping basket.

Currently, around 180,000 separate price quotations are collected every month to compile the indices, covering around 730 representative consumer goods and services. These prices are collected in around 140 locations across the UK, from the internet and over the phone. In addition, around 300,000 quotes are used in measuring owner occupiers’ housing costs each month. This measure is based principally on data from administrative sources.

Within each year, the consumer price indices represent the changing cost of a basket of goods and services of fixed composition. In this way, changes in the consumer price indices from month to month reflect only changes in prices, and not variations in the quality and quantity of items purchased by consumers.

Although kept constant within the year, the contents of the basket and the associated expenditure weights are updated annually. This is important in helping to avoid potential biases that might otherwise develop, for example, because of the development of entirely new goods and services. These procedures also help to ensure that the indices reflect longer-term trends in consumer spending patterns.

Changes to the items and their associated item weights are introduced in the February index each year, but prices are collected for both old and new items in January. This means that the figures for each year can be “chain linked” to form a long-run price index spanning many years. In other words, price changes between December and January are based on the old basket, while price changes between January and February, and beyond, are based on the new basket.

In reality, there are three baskets, one for each of CPIH, CPI and RPI. The vast majority of items are the same in all three measures.

The food element accounts for 24% of the (730) items monitored, although it's only 9.3% of the value of the basket. Housing and household services (utilities) costs account for 31% of the value the Index.

It's really interesting stuff, and you certainly notice it at the checkout albeit I'm a bit vague with stuff like that so couldn't have told you what in my basket had been driving up the price so much. I was already trying to kick crisps, now might be the time to commit!

Story on the BBC with some brewer suggesting a pint could soon cost £7 in pubs - that’ll see the end of a lot of pubs if that comes true. 

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Story on the BBC with some brewer suggesting a pint could soon cost £7 in pubs - that’ll see the end of a lot of pubs if that comes true. 

Sadly another pub closes.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/business/edinburgh-cost-of-living-the-goth-pub-in-prestonpans-forced-to-close-after-energy-bills-reach-ps8000-per-month-3890538

2 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Also diesel is 191p a litre at my local Tesco 😂 mental.

The price difference now is about 25-30p more than petrol at most places.

€2.12 at my local shopping centre (about 184p).  Petrol equivalent to about 159p.

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

Yet meanwhile, wholesale gas prices in the UK and Europe are now back to where they were before the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February.

Gas prices down to mark seen before invasion of Ukraine (rte.ie)

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

€2.12 at my local shopping centre (about 184p).  Petrol equivalent to about 159p.

Oofft last time I was in Donegal diesel was a lot cheaper than petrol😳

27 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Oofft last time I was in Donegal diesel was a lot cheaper than petrol😳

The current figures are made worse by the fact that the fuel tax regime here is supposed to be biased towards diesel rather than petrol because it's partly based on CO2 emissions - so the underlying price gap is bigger than the gap in the prices at the pumps.

Jambo_jim2001
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The current figures are made worse by the fact that the fuel tax regime here is supposed to be biased towards diesel rather than petrol because it's partly based on CO2 emissions - so the underlying price gap is bigger than the gap in the prices at the pumps.

That's what I got told diesel was taxed a lot lower than petrol compared to the UK😳 

On 19/10/2022 at 18:34, Malinga the Swinga said:

Won't gnaw away at me as there isn't anything I can do about it. I leave it up to government, or what passes as government these days. My own kids have good work ethic and that's all I can be responsible for.

Definition won't be that different. I know it's a tiny percentage and I know that the big companies that avoid taste worse. Just get pissed off with both of them tbh.

Last 10 years have been hard with work cuts and trying to survive but now, boot is on other foot and I'm far more relaxed at work. When bosses ask my opinion, they get it straight. No career prospects to protect, no playing games, just 100% honesty. What's the worst that can happen? Make me redundant and I'll be out the door in record time.

Getting older sucks but have to say, I do look at folk starting out on careers now and think I'm lucky I'm not them. Will miss most of the people, the daft chats and nonsense that goes on, but office politics is one subject I will happily be rid off.

Enjoy your retirement when it comes, and have a plan in place for when it happens. Believe that's a necessity to keep boredom and stress away.

Made redundant and fired are two different things. (I'd fire you on the spot for your attitude)Let's see how far you get, if your fired and can't get a good ref. You drink all your savings, become depressed and end up on the benefits streets. I'm sure it's happened to plenty of folk.

And most people have a good work ethic, they also piss their hard work up a wall, by playing hard. 

Oh and don't tell me people in offices work hard. That lot are the real work shy. If they actually did a bit, they'd cry.

Edited by ri Alban

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Made redundant and fired are two different things. (I'd fire you on the spot for your attitude)Let's see how far you get, if your fired and can't get a good ref. You drink all your savings, become depressed and end up on the benefits streets. I'm sure it's happened to plenty of folk.

And most people have a good work ethic, they also piss their hard work up a wall, by playing hard. 

Oh and don't tell me people in offices work hard. That lot are the real work shy. If they actually did a bit, they'd cry.

I've worked on sites, in factories, in offices - they're just different types of exhausted.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I've worked on building sites and in offices. Obviously, building work is more physicially exhasting. However, I've felt far more drained after some of my office jobs.

14 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Still cheaper than when I was in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago. £7.60 for something less than a pint!!!

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've worked on sites, in factories, in offices - they're just different types of exhausted.

Want to bet. Bored is knackered. You could load my roofs or do my paperwork. You pick :cheese:

2 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Still cheaper than when I was in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago. £7.60 for something less than a pint!!!

They dont have a low wage economy like we do.

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

My lad goes to London a lot on business , £6+ for the usual lagers , nothing exotic, in a dump in East London. 

And Sweden has a higher average salary than low wage UK PLC. 

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yup, designing the stuff that you put roofs on is done by magic.

Good to know where nationalists stand on jobs though. Office workers who are working all throughout lockdown, working in all types of weather are your target now.

See the COVID vaccines that were sent out, you think that wasn't co-ordinated. 

See the wages that you earn, how they come through banks and systems, how debit cards work and how bills are paid, that all comes from office workers.

Just because they are working inside, doesn't mean the works not demanding mentally but then again, using your brain doesn't seem to be a strong point of yours.

Clueless but not unexpected. 

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Jeffros Furios
27 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yup, designing the stuff that you put roofs on is done by magic.

Good to know where nationalists stand on jobs though. Office workers who are working all throughout lockdown, working in all types of weather are your target now.

See the COVID vaccines that were sent out, you think that wasn't co-ordinated. 

See the wages that you earn, how they come through banks and systems, how debit cards work and how bills are paid, that all comes from office workers.

Just because they are working inside, doesn't mean the works not demanding mentally but then again, using your brain doesn't seem to be a strong point of yours.

Clueless but not unexpected. 

Great Post 

On Sunday l paid 157.7/litre for petrol at Asda in Inverness. Tesco in Dalkeith is 166.9 for the same product. Damned if l can understand the reasoning

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, inspector said:

On Sunday l paid 157.7/litre for petrol at Asda in Inverness. Tesco in Dalkeith is 166.9 for the same product. Damned if l can understand the reasoning

Recently Tesco seems to be more expensive. 

Nucky Thompson

Everywhere has stuck 5p on a litre this week.

Crude oil is still $90 a barrel.

They are taking the piss 

2 hours ago, inspector said:

Profiteering would be my guess. 

3 hours ago, inspector said:

That Tesco petrol station has been closed for a while for a refurb. It's almost as if they have upped the prices to make up for being closed.

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They are taking the piss 

Capitalist bleating about capitalism.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, briever said:

Capitalist bleating about capitalism.

Conspiracy theorist bleating about everything

magic roundabout
4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They are taking the piss 

My guess would be its due to the fall in the value of the pound after that mini budget!  No doubt it takes a couple of weeks before it hits the price at pump!   

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 20:20, Taffin said:

Ukraine unknown to me until this year is a massive supplier vegetable oil and grain.

This has has a huge impact on the fast food market regards the oil.

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Food inflation hits 14% for the last 4 weeks.

Magic.

I am surprised it's only reached it now.

I have seen those levels and more the last 6 months or more.

The Mighty Thor
33 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I am surprised it's only reached it now.

I have seen those levels and more the last 6 months or more.

Of course we all have mate. 

Real world inflation and food inflation are and have probably running at closer to 20% for a while and not the bullshit numbers manipulated by the Government. 

But it's the same in Yoorup likesy. 

On 26/10/2022 at 17:26, inspector said:

Iritates me this, when in Dundee  you tend to notice fuel 3-5p cheaper.

HTF can it be dearer the nearer you are to the bloody refinery. Transport costs to Inverness should make it dearer.

Fleeced.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Iritates me this, when in Dundee  you tend to notice fuel 3-5p cheaper.

HTF can it be dearer the nearer you are to the bloody refinery. Transport costs to Inverness should make it dearer.

Fleeced.

Kilmarnock 1.57

Ayr 1.64

Variation between garages in Killie is up to 10 p per litre 

I thought the margins were 1 p per litre?

Clearly not

Nucky Thompson
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

But it's the same in Yoorup likesy. 

Aye cause inflation is only happening in big, bad, Britain likesy 

Whit aboot Scoatlind's natural energy likesy. 

Fecking Tories :vangry: