Inflation

jamb0_1874

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

last night after a couple of mojitos but genuinely was just interested. 

Anyway none of my beeswax so ignore my nosey nature. 

Well I’m glad that he’s alive and well and if your in contact with him let him know this random from JKB wishes him and his family well. 👍

I always was brought up to leave people guessing .  No use being an open book where everyone knows all your business .  Keep some things close to your chest , private.  Too many nosey deckers our there. Did I go to Stewarts Melville? Do I live in Merchiston ? Was i brought up there ?  Who knows and more importantly who cares ?  A decent person can be from any social background I feel. Therefore questions about schools and cultural heritage / background are irrelevant to me . If your a good Kant then your a good Kant. Simple as that. 

" Oh man, why don't you ****in' stop it? Sh*t, this is too ****in' big for you, you know that? Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, **** man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The ****in' shooters don't even know! Don't you get it?" 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

Japan Jambo
20 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

So somebody with near million pound holiday home in Elie gets 400 off their utility bills on their first home and another 400 off their second home?

And on top of that even if only one of them is a pensioner they get another 300 quid?

That has got to be good for them.  Free money.  Or is it fair that they get all this even though they are that well off, in asset terms well off anyway, they could be cash poor.

Interesting way he has done this but guess everyone should benefit to some degree if he is taking a windfall tax as a way of raising the cash or at least some of the cash.

Bloody expensive party...

33 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Governor Tarkin is alive and well 👍 but no longer posts on here.

That’s a shame he was a good poster, glad he is well. 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
jamb0_1874

So for the first time it now costs £100 to fill up the average car with petrol. Yesterday hauliers were saying it's costing an extra £20k a year to fuel an artic truck due to diesel prices!!

It makes me wonder how high these wages are going to be in Boris's high wage economy!!!

WorldChampions1902
9 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

So for the first time it now costs £100 to fill up the average car with petrol. Yesterday hauliers were saying it's costing an extra £20k a year to fuel an artic truck due to diesel prices!!

It makes me wonder how high these wages are going to be in Boris's high wage economy!!!

Nowhere near high enough to even keep pace with rampant inflation. Millions are significantly worse off and will never see their earnings catch-up after inflation has run its course.

Meanwhile 

https://apple.news/ACdXd3QNKSauK8JEWr3sty

Drivers in the UK are facing record petrol prices, yet the country is exporting millions of liters of the fuel each month to the US, where motorists pay little more than half as much to fill their tanks.

The UK has the second-highest petrol prices among the Group of 20 members — only French drivers pay more. And UK petrol prices aren’t just high, they’re rising at the fastest rate in 17 years. Across the Atlantic, drivers in the US also face their highest gas prices on record, but they still pay only about 60% of what the British do.

So why will something like 3 billion liters of petrol, and the components to make it, be shipped from the UK to the US this year? Almost entirely because of taxes.

On June 6, the most recent day for which Globalpetrolprices.com publishes figures, a liter of petrol in the UK cost £1.76, equivalent to $8.35 a gallon. That compares with $5.04 a gallon in the US, or £1.06.

The flow in May from the UK to the US reached 1.85 million barrels, or 300 million liters, a 15% increase from the previous month and the highest since December, according to shipping analytics company Vortexa Ltd.

The UK is part of an international trade network in both crude and refined products, with cargoes coming into and shipping out of the country to meet different fuel specifications in different parts of the world.

But the more obvious reason this is happening is that the value of gasoline to its producers isn’t the same as the prices paid by motorists. And the difference is taxes.

There are two taxes on petrol in the UK: fuel duty and value-added tax. Fuel duty is levied at a fixed rate, which is currently 52.95 pence per liter on unleaded petrol after the government cut it by 5 pence per liter in March. That level of duty doesn’t change with the underlying price of the fuel.

But the second tax, VAT, does. It is levied at a rate of 20% on both the underlying fuel price and the fuel duty. That means UK motorists pay tax on the tax.

Edited by Imaman

skinnybob72
4 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Nowhere near high enough to even keep pace with rampant inflation. Millions are significantly worse off and will never see their earnings catch-up after inflation has run its course.

There will be a large number of people who simply work to exist, every penny they earn will be hoovered up by housing costs, CT, gas, leccy, transport costs and food. There will be nothing left over to do anything else - and I'm talking about people who work full time. 

• 2 weeks later...
joondalupjambo

Tory party loves a U Turn so keep an eye open for wee Rushi making one in relation to the 2023 Triple Lock.

WorldChampions1902

This Junta are playing with fire if they attempt to screw over the state pension for a second consecutive year. Especially given the colossal energy price hikes already implemented and the one due in October.

WorldChampions1902

It’s now likely that the Energy price hike scheduled in October will add ANOTHER 51% to our already exorbitant gas and leccy bills. So the average household bill will surge to £3000.

Analysts now looking to the price cap increase in January next year suggesting that the projected increase will be a single digit percentage increase. Based on todays information of course.

On 27/05/2022 at 13:31, heartsfc_fan said:

Governor Tarkin is alive and well 👍 but no longer posts on here.

new username.

• 1 month later...

Inflation phewt 

Centrica's adjusted operating profit for the first six months of 2022 rose to 1.34 billion pounds, up from 262 million a year!!!

Edited by Imaman

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Seems like a good idea, :cornette:, and clearly shows where the Bank of England is thinking interest rates will be heading!!

BBC News - Mortgage affordability test scrapped by Bank of England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62353114

Aye get the debt bubble inflated a bit more and tie in even more of the population ready for the inevitable crash. 

Genius thinking. 

WorldChampions1902

U.K. inflation now forecast to hit 15% early next year. Enjoy todays ‘low prices’ while you can folks. Don’t tell these greedy militant Union leaders in case they ask for more.

Rocky times ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/03/uk-inflation-could-reach-15-by-start-of-2023-experts-say

Edited by WorldChampions1902

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

U.K. inflation now forecast to hit 15% early next year. Enjoy todays ‘low prices’ while you can folks. Don’t tell these greedy militant Union leaders in case they ask for more.

Rocky times ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/03/uk-inflation-could-reach-15-by-start-of-2023-experts-say

People would ask for more, it's only natural isn't it.

If the railworkers settled for say 8%, someone else will want 11% and if inflation goes up to 15% then everybody will want as close to that as possible.  It's the way it goes.

In the company I used to work for, there was a time our wages were linked to the rate of inflation, yeh, when inflation was something like 2.5% - 3% but that got ditched as soon as inflation started to rise to 6%,7%,8%, then you got the sob stories of we can only afford to give you a 2% pay rise, if you get anymore you can count it in jobs.  Yeh, I've been there.

As an aside, talk that the BoE is likley to raise interest rates by a significant amount today, maybe by 0.5%, maybe even by more in an effort to curb inflation.   Rocky times ahead indeed.

Ainsley Harriott

The expected rate increase will catch out all the pretendy yuppies living out with their means mortgaged up to their eyeballs. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The expected rate increase will catch out all the pretendy yuppies living out with their means mortgaged up to their eyeballs. 

Yep then moan they can’t afford their mortgages etc whilst the real poor have literally been starving . They can bolt 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep then moan they can’t afford their mortgages etc whilst the real poor have literally been starving . They can bolt 

Lots down my way, big house 95% mortgage with 2 flashy motors on the drive both of finance. All very 2007 big crash on the horizon.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Lots down my way, big house 95% mortgage with 2 flashy motors on the drive both of finance. All very 2007 big crash on the horizon.

Glad I’m thrifty ! Not a miser but just smart with my cash . 

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

My laddie was pals with someone whose parents were like that, big fancy house, 2 flash cars, 4 or 5 holidays a year, hosting dinner parties/BBQ's every few weeks, and it was all a lie, it was all on the never never.  The mother lost her job when the crash came and the whole deck of cards came crashing down within a couple of months, they lost everything, in the end they moved away, Edinburgh area I think.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My laddie was pals with someone whose parents were like that, big fancy house, 2 flash cars, 4 or 5 holidays a year, hosting dinner parties/BBQ's every few weeks, and it was all a lie, it was all on the never never.  The mother lost her job when the crash came and the whole deck of cards came crashing down within a couple of months, they lost everything, in the end they moved away, Edinburgh area I think.

Yes when I worked for citizens advice I remember on the training an advisor said quite clearly that people who seemed very well off were living on their credit cards really , very true 

WorldChampions1902
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Glad I’m thrifty ! Not a miser but just smart with my cash . 

Thrift is certainly an asset in these straitened times. Especially for those pensioners whose occupational pensions will be massively eroded by double-digit inflation, because the indexation of those work pensions is mostly pegged to CPI and capped at around 5%. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes when I worked for citizens advice I remember on the training an advisor said quite clearly that people who seemed very well off were living on their credit cards really , very true 

On the surface they looked like they had a great life, big new build house, fancy cars, holidays, but it was all for show, up to their eyeballs in debt.

JudyJudyJudy
31 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Thrift is certainly an asset in these straitened times. Especially for those pensioners whose occupational pensions will be massively eroded by double-digit inflation, because the indexation of those work pensions is mostly pegged to CPI and capped at around 5%. 

Yes an example being I have had the same tv for the last 11 years . It works perfectly well but my pals slag it saying I should get a new one ! Why ? Can I view things on it ? Yes ! 

30 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

On the surface they looked like they had a great life, big new build house, fancy cars, holidays, but it was all for show, up to their eyeballs in debt.

Yes . See it on Facebook all the time . The Shows offs going here there and everywhere . Plain and simple debt 

Jambo-Jimbo
39 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes an example being I have had the same tv for the last 11 years . It works perfectly well but my pals slag it saying I should get a new one ! Why ? Can I view things on it ? Yes ! 

Yes . See it on Facebook all the time . The Shows offs going here there and everywhere . Plain and simple debt 

I fling nothing away, unless it's really broken.

I've got a Flymo strimmer made in 1998, still going strong, I was using a sander this morning, it must be at least 20 - 25 years old, nothing wrong with it.  Clothes, when I was regularly putting on weight I just packed up what clothes didn't fit anymore, now that I've lost a lot of weight, I've now got a whole 'new' wardrope with clothes that I haven't worn for the last 6 or 7 years, which now fit.   

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've got a Flymo strimmer made in 1998, still going strong, I was using a sander this morning, it must be at least 20 - 25 years old, nothing wrong with it.  Clothes, when I was regularly putting on weight I just packed up what clothes didn't fit anymore, now that I've lost a lot of weight, I've now got a whole 'new' wardrope with clothes that I haven't worn for the last 6 or 7 years, which now fit.   

Similar to me ! Im gonna buy a new sofa as my current one is not that comfy . That’ll be a luxury item for me ! But I’m happy with my house and clothes etc 

"Reduce, reuse and recycle" are noble goals.

Buy less crap, use it for as long as you can and recycle it when it finally breaks.

But the problem is that if everyone never buys anything new and only buys stuff 2nd hand or uses things for 30 years, then the economy is kind of in trouble. With nobody buying anything new, factories close and people get made unemployed. But then the throwaway culture that has grown since the end of WW2 is directly responsible for the pollution of the air, water and land and for the depletion of the finite natural resources on offer.

Have to find a balance between ecology, economy and economising.

If it all kicks off in Taiwan as its looking like it might then I think this will have an even bigger effect on the worldwide economy than the Ukraine/ Russian conflict currently is having. What an absolute mess.. 

Fxxx the SPFL
48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

do your Crocs still fit coming back into fashion i believe

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Never owned nor will ever own a pair of those things.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

You cannot beat the feeling of air between your toes!

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What’s the best thing to do if you have a mortgage - a 5 year fixed? With interest rates going up etc?

Cross your fingers

25 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What’s the best thing to do if you have a mortgage - a 5 year fixed? With interest rates going up etc?

Pay off as much as you can now before the shit really hits the fan.

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pay off as much as you can now before the shit really hits the fan.

Is it worth getting in a 5 year fixed rate now though?

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Is it worth getting in a 5 year fixed rate now though?

Contact your financial advisor.

With the rates rising. Can see lots of repossessions and people becoming homeless due to inability to afford mortgage or rent 

Coupled with inflation expected to rise even further. And yet government still sits back and does **** all 

joondalupjambo

Bank of England press conference now.  They are discussing their forecasts and have highlighted why we are where are.  Since I have been listening Brexit not been mentioned as part of the problem.  Anyone watching?  Have they mentioned Brexit or just ignoring it?  Brexit surely has an effect on UK inflation

Edited by joondalupjambo

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

With the rates rising. Can see lots of repossessions and people becoming homeless due to inability to afford mortgage or rent 

Coupled with inflation expected to rise even further. And yet government still sits back and does **** all 

What would you like them to do, what do you think they should do?