Inflation

jamb0_1874

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Who said it's a necessity?

It's a contract I entered into when things were going fine.

I would say that the internet is essential almost for a variety of reasons . Its a method of communication which is replacing other methods like phones ., letters etc and someone else pointed out you need to be online to access UC account . It can also be of value for those who feel isolated and vulnerable. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

and Jeremy C was much maligned when one of his policies was free broadband for everyone.  The uproar. 

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

and Jeremy C was much maligned when one of his policies was free broadband for everyone.  The uproar. 

Bloody freebies!!! Whats next? Baby boxes & bus passes? I blame Sturgeon!!!

Konrad von Carstein
39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Exactly. You never find scud mags lying in the bushes these days. 

Broken Britain :(

Pans Jambo
21 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

When volunteer police are being given tasers to use, you just know they are preparing for something kicking off. October will be breaking point for many. 

I wouldn't promote violence but I think another "poll-taxesque" riot could be in the post.

The only way the UK government will listen is if a million plus folk riot and smash up central London. Bring down the government and put an end to this shit show (not suggesting we do this you understand, just saying it could happen).

Once interest rates are at 10%, there's negative equity aplenty, house repossessions and a loaf of bread is £3 folk will soon get desperate.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

These days, I have to hide my copy of the Daily Telegraph inside the latest edition of Razzle so as not to attract the vitriol of my fellow shoppers.

The last time I seen a razzle, bush was the norm, none of this Brazilian carry ons

51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I see Iceland are offering a 10% deduction every Tuesday for shoppers over 60.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61512945

There's an intresting graph in that article that shows a low, steady rate of inflation from around 1997 to 2010. Almost consistently at the ideal 2% range. Fluctuates wildly either side of this period. Makes you wonder though...

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Exactly. You never find scud mags lying in the bushes these days. 

Lofts and golf bags are all empty anaw. :laugh:

The changing fortunes of Britain's Rich List 2022: Roman Abramovich's wealth HALVES to £6bn, Rishi Sunak and his wife are a new entry with £730m... while £28.47BN Hinduja brothers top list and Duke of Westminster makes top 20

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Age discrimination :( 

Wonder if we'll introduce something similar here.

Don't see why not, besides looking forward to using my free bus pass and get 10% of my Iceland shopping. 😊

Ritchie Sunak and his missus listed in The Times' Rich List with an estimated net wealth of £730million.

Malinga the Swinga
57 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ritchie Sunak and his missus listed in The Times' Rich List with an estimated net wealth of £730million.

Fantastic. Did you see the post 2 up and decide that wasn't enough or are they guilty of something?

Not a crime to be wealthy.

Malinga the Swinga
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Access to the internet is essential.

Well it isn't really. Loads of people don't have it and yet survive. 

Jambo-Jimbo
33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Does your travel card get you free flights, too? Can't imagine heading Reykjavik for a loaf of bread and carton of prune juice is going to work out to be cost effective otherwise.

Ha ha ha.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nah that's just not true, by loads I assume you mean very few.

Jambo_jim2001

Asda today with the Mrs and mother in law shopping, totally dead...had to pop into Lidl on way home,mobbed 😳

Jambo_jim2001

Might be criminal how they obtained it?

Different times, bud. Apart from Hermits, Tramps and criminals on the run, who doesn't have it . Tories definitely need it for their Tractor material .

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Different times, bud. Apart from Hermits, Tramps and criminals on the run, who doesn't have it . Tories definitely need it for their Tractor material .

Older folk for a start and others. Some use communal/public internet facilities.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I wouldn't promote violence but I think another "poll-taxesque" riot could be in the post.

The only way the UK government will listen is if a million plus folk riot and smash up central London. Bring down the government and put an end to this shit show (not suggesting we do this you understand, just saying it could happen).

Once interest rates are at 10%, there's negative equity aplenty, house repossessions and a loaf of bread is £3 folk will soon get desperate.

Or target every single Tory politician in the UK. Hundreds outside their houses demanding the show their faces. Make them terrified to live their lives.

Why do you think Arsehole Patel is pushing the "fascist dictatorship" new protest laws so hard?

They know that civil disobedience is coming so they're laying the groundwork of physically crushing dissent with paramilitary police.

il Duce McTarkin
53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Some criminals on the run have it too.

10 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Some criminals on the run have it too.

Fake names. 🤔. Wait a minute.

Unknown user
57 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Older folk for a start and others. Some use communal/public internet facilities.

Cookers are deemed a necessity but not everyone has one - it doesn't prove anything that there's a small number of outliers, that's true of any situation.

I found out today that internet is officially a necessity, and the ISPs all have to provide cheap deals for people on benefits. 

On 19/05/2022 at 13:15, Malinga the Swinga said:

Maybe we need to get used to not being able to just go and buy something whenever we want it and to learn to save up for item before buying it.

Stick interest rate up as well. Folk have got so used to extremely low interest rates that they now expect it and just borrow the max they could get.

Well now welcome to real world where actions have consequences.

It happened in late 60's, the 70's and the early 80's before the get something for nothing culture began to explode.

The get something for (virtually) nothing existed in the 60s, 70s and 80s too...it came in the form of a nice house.

Edited by Taffin

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I see Iceland are offering a 10% deduction every Tuesday for shoppers over 60.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61512945

FFS. What's your age got to do with it?

There's plenty younger and middle aged folk struggling to feed themselves and their families too.

The over 60s have their cushy houses bought for buttons and final pension salaries along with all their other discounted stuff.

Prime virtue signalling that is imo.

Jamstomorrow
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's plenty younger and middle aged folk struggling to feed themselves and their families too.

The over 60s have their cushy houses bought for buttons and final pension salaries along with all their other discounted stuff.

Aye.  100,000 of them were in Saville to watch sevco.

38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Auld gits vote Tory.

Throwing them another nice wee bung.

:munny:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There are a few groups who can do no wrong when it comes ro corporate policy. Auldies and NHS staff appear to be at the top of the pile.

“the science” submissives too - they didn’t even warrant a sweetener tho

Jambo-Jimbo
50 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There are plenty of over 60's who neither have a cushy house or even a pension, far less a final salary pension, many only have the state pension to live off.

31 minutes ago, Cade said:

Auld gits vote Tory.

Throwing them another nice wee bung.

:munny:

29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There are a few groups who can do no wrong when it comes ro corporate policy. Auldies and NHS staff appear to be at the top of the pile.

Both of these.

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are plenty of over 60's who neither have a cushy house or even a pension, far less a final salary pension, many only have the state pension to live off.

Of course, but there's also loads who do. It makes no sense whatsoever to discount based on age alone. It's a nonsense.

Jamstomorrow
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Is there no low to which the Huns will not sink?

Er . . . supporting h1b5?

WorldChampions1902
8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Fantastic. Did you see the post 2 up and decide that wasn't enough or are they guilty of something?

As my Grandfather used to say, “show me a millionaire and I’ll show you a crook”. A bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know, but I kind of understand what he was saying. 

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

As my Grandfather used to say, “show me a millionaire and I’ll show you a crook”. A bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know, but I kind of understand what he was saying. 

Okay, show me someone on benefits and I'll show you a workshy lazy feckless waster. A bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know but hey, you started it.

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Okay, show me someone on benefits and I'll show you a workshy lazy feckless waster. A bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know but hey, you started it.

Certain newly-registered PPE companies anyone? That’s the point my Grandfather was making, for example. Panama Papers? Another example.

Take your blinkers off.

Howdy Doody Jambo

It's all these greedy corrupt effurs that hoard their wealth and buy up all the shares benefiting from vast profits and dividends without spending it rather than circulate finance in the global economy and spreading money out in wider sectors making the rich richer and the working class poorer at the same time influencing their super greenwashing strategy in the media so they can make even more dough while everyone else has to dance to their tune 

Why does these big companies have to make multi millions and billion £ profits every year? 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Jambo-Jimbo

Just heard on Sky News that Jonathan Brearley from OFGEM has just told some committee that he expects the energy price cap to increase in October from the current £1971 to £2800 that's a whopping £800 increase.

Unknown user
On 20/05/2022 at 22:23, Malinga the Swinga said:

Heeey!

What's feckless?

jamb0_1874
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just heard on Sky News that Jonathan Brearley from OFGEM has just told some committee that he expects the energy price cap to increase in October from the current £1971 to £2800 that's a whopping £800 increase.

The price cap in its current guise is just legalised priced fixing.. like most things that's brought in, they start from a good place however soon become a total hindrance and rather than a method to help people from being taken advantage of they behind a vehicle for this to happen..

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

The price cap in its current guise is just legalised priced fixing.. like most things that's brought in, they start from a good place however soon become a total hindrance and rather than a method to help people from being taken advantage of they behind a vehicle for this to happen..

I don't think it did start from a good place, this Tory government just doesn't have our best interests at heart.

It started, IMO, as a vehicle the government can blame so they can throw their hands up, give it "dearie me that's terrible!" and take little to no responsibility for the aftermath while the donors who've pumped millions into them chuckle into their wallets.

Scum

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

When Ed Miliband proposed an energy price cap back in 2015, it was seen as a good thing which would help poorer families, so when the Tories nicked the idea it was generally still seen as a good idea.  However as you rightly say, it's now become a yoke around everybody's necks and there is now no way out of it.  https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/23/tory-energy-bill-cap-will-save-families-100-damian-green-says

Ainsley Harriott

Inflation is currently a global problem. You just need to cut back and if necessary work a bit of overtime.

Pans Jambo
6 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Inflation is currently a global problem. You just need to cut back and if necessary work a bit of overtime.

Tory voter right there!

Cut back? On heating, hot showers and cooking?

Then work even harder just to pay for a tory imposed tax on the poor?

Yeh nice one. 

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm cutting back my holidays abroad this year.

Only going on 3.

Been to Lanzarote in February, going to Corfu on Thursday morning and then Ibiza at the start of July.

Hearts are in Europe, so it could be another 4 trips on the cards.

Ah well, there's always next year.

Bloody Toaries

5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tory voter right there!

Yeh nice one. 

Why rise to it! Clearly a fishing attempt.

8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tory voter right there!

Yeh nice one. 

What's the alternative? Moan on the internet?